Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

beds vs. futons

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:14 PM #1 of 38
beds vs. futons

I'm buying a bed. Beds are expensive. I've always had an actual bed, you know, frame, box spring, mattress. It's been fun. Futons are exotic and enticing though. And versatile. I can sit on it to play video games during the day, and then flatten it out for all sorts of fun night time activities later on.

Problem is, I hear that futons aren't so comfortable for the sleeping. So let's compare shall we?

Who has futons and wants to praise their merits? Who has them and wants to heap contempt and scorn upon them?

Same with beds. Come on, help a guy out.

In other words: give me advice about buying futons because I know nothing about them. I thought a pull-out bed was a futon.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Radez; Oct 11, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:17 PM #2 of 38
I have/had a futon. They are nice because they go from sofa to bed in little time. In fact, with enough padding, there really is no difference. If you don't have enough money to buy a matress but can afford a futon and some comfort pads (I don't know what they're really called), I see no problem with taking that option.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 09:22 PM #3 of 38
Futon is good for a quick change in bed to couch, to bed again. I have had both a bed and a futon, and I find that a futon is good for a while, but they tend to wear out within a year or so and the bars start poking through a bit. By that point you have to add some padding underneath in order to get rid of the bars bugging you at night.

If you are in a smaller place, a futon is a better choice than a bed. Because you can more easily move a futon around than a bed.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:24 PM #4 of 38
Vivi, are you saying the mattresses wear out after a year? =oo

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 04:30 AM #5 of 38
Originally Posted by Avalokiteshvara
Problem is, I hear that futons aren't so comfortable for the sleeping.
It all depends on what your body is used to. Depending on how soft your bed(s) have been, sleeping on a futon (without any extra "padding") might be very uncomfortable or downright impossible (specially if you like to sleep on your chest). But on the other hand you might notice little differance at all.

So yeah, only you can know, really.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:30 PM #6 of 38
I'm sure that there are more expensive mattresses out there that last longer.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:37 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 09:37 PM #7 of 38
Originally Posted by Avalokiteshvara
Vivi, are you saying the mattresses wear out after a year? =oo
For the futon? Ok, well after about a year and a half... but it also depends on how much you use it as a bed as well... Maybe the one I have is a piece of crap?.....

FELIPE NO
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:40 PM #8 of 38
Didn't I find you that site that sold futons that are supposed to last for like 5 years?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:44 PM #9 of 38
When I went into the college apartment life all I got was the mattress and bed springs, no frame, so they just sat on the floor. XD; It's a little odd, and was a bit low, but hey! No losing stuff under the bed!

How ya doing, buddy?
NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:55 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 03:55 PM #10 of 38
Personally, I wouldn't use a futon as a bed unless space/cost is an issue. We keep ours around as just a guest bed since it definitely beats out an air mattress, but I think that after a while you'd want to get something more comfortable.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:11 PM #11 of 38
A futon mattress really can't touch an actual mattress. When my old proper mattress's springs started digging into my back, I put an old futon mattress on top of it until I got a new one. That was about two years ago and I still haven't got a new mattress. I kind of hate sleeping.

So really, a futon isn't too bad, but there's no reason to take one over a real bed unless space is a big issue.

Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:19 PM #12 of 38
Having tried both, I'd prefer the bed to the futon but I don't find anything particularily wrong with the latter. I have some friends who sleep on futons and turned down having a bed because they preferred what they already had. It really depends on what you prefer to sleep on, springs or cushion.

Baaah~
tommboi
Carob Nut

Member 10177

Level 5.02

Jul 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 07:34 PM #13 of 38
I sleep on a wooden bed with a little bit of padding, I got pretty used to it. I think some futons suck because of the bars and stuff because my friend sleeps on one and it broke in a few months, not to mention if your friends come over they put their butts on it when it's a couch and then you sleep on it. D:

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:40 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 10:40 PM #14 of 38
Yeah, that is a good point. If you spill food or a drink, that wouldn't be great to sleep on. As a result, you would have to put on a sheet every night before you go to bed... I know it sucks having to make the futon every night but....

You know, on second thought, a bed might be better. It really depends on space, and how messy your friends are...

How ya doing, buddy?
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 10:15 PM #15 of 38
My parents chose a futon for me over a bed when I was a teenager. At first I thought it was kind of cool, but after a few nights I realised the truth.

A) They tilt backwards. Maybe this isn't true for all futons everywhere, but every one that I've ever seen tilts back so that you're constantly being deposited up against the back. This means that when you fold it out, there is a crease in the mattress that becomes more pronounced with time, and eventually it means sleeping over a dip.

B) The mattresses are not nearly as nice as a real mattress. Some strange people like them, but I find them far too lumpy and aromatic, especially when you have several people who like to come in and sit on it during the day.

C) They don't save you space. Unless you're planning on having a couch And a bed in the same room, then a futon is going to take up at least as much (if not more) space than a twin, and nearly as much as a full-size bed.

Bottom line: I despise them with a passion generally reserved for Christmas music. Now, this is coming from a person who can sleep on the floor, in airplane seats, in a line of waiting-room chairs, or in bathtubs during hurricanes. That futon made my back hurt so bad I'd sleep on the floor every so often just to get the kinks out.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Hydra; Oct 12, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:22 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 11:22 PM #16 of 38
I've personally never slept in a futon that was nearly as comfortable as a regular bed. Of course, I'm of the kind that likes a couple of mattress pads made out of down feathers, so perhaps I'm just too hard to please.

Those sofas that make out into a bed (like the ones at hotels) generally feel a bit better than futons. Futons are so...hard. And inflexible.

JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:44 AM #17 of 38
Sleeper sofas aren't too bad, but they end up with their own dips.

What about a day bed? Something you can put pillows on to make it look sofa-ish inviting? Do people still use those anymore? Or am I getting their use mixed up? Bah. Too many questions!

Thinking back on the futon, most people I know who have one use it as their sofa and then as a guest bed if they have a friend stay the night. But not as regular bed usage.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:07 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 09:37 AM #18 of 38
I would have to say futon for now, they are soooo comfie!

When I was home however everyone in the family had a water bed.... those where the best beds of all!

fiercedeity
LOL FAG!

Member 8055

Level 11.82

Jun 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:58 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 01:58 PM #19 of 38
Bed > Futon any day. I love beds, the bigger and softer the better. If I had a tonne of money I would convert a room into my house into a giant bed. It would be awesome, and so damn comfy.

Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:29 PM #20 of 38
Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
For the futon? Ok, well after about a year and a half... but it also depends on how much you use it as a bed as well... Maybe the one I have is a piece of crap?.....
You are also supposed to rotate your mattress to keep one side from wearing in more than the other. It extends the life of the mattress, and keeps it more comfortable longer. If I recall correctly, the rotation goes Turn Clockwise, Flip Over, Turn Clockwise, Flip over, Turn Clockwise, ... etc

---
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:02 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 01:02 PM #21 of 38
Wow! There is a system to the madness of a futon.... Hmmmm.... maybe I should have read the instructions... (Seriously.)

Hmmm... seems like there is a lot of maintence for a futon.

Here is my final advice. After seeing all the positives and negatives of the futon, I would say go with the bed. Less work in the long run, more comfortable, and better for sex....

Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:52 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 10:52 AM #22 of 38
Or you can go the hybrid way, and just buy a mattress without any frames or anything. My friend just stacks two mattresses and calls that his bed. If he needs more room, he throws them into the closet.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Dance party!
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:03 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 02:03 PM #23 of 38
Originally Posted by Trigunnerz
Or you can go the hybrid way, and just buy a mattress without any frames or anything. My friend just stacks two mattresses and calls that his bed. If he needs more room, he throws them into the closet.
Well, at least that maintains cleanliness in a corner of the room since the dust can't go underneath the bed. Its nice to have a high bed as well. Well, I guess not too high, otherwise falling off the bed would hurt a lot more.

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 02:04 PM #24 of 38
I have both, because both are useful. Just make sure that with whatever futon you buy, you buy one that is both functional as a couch and a futon. I have a "European" style futon -- it has arms and a back that fold up and down at different angels -- very comfy and easy to use.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:24 PM #25 of 38
I've had a bed, now I have a futon. I hate futons, or at least the one I have, I've had it for about 4 years now and thers a huge dip in the middle. I hate that dip, it's so uncomfortable and sometimes I can't sleep. Sometimes I even have to sleep on the couch because my neck starts hurting.
I really wouldn't recommend a futon because of my experience with it. And yea, I flip it a couple times a year and it helps a bit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > beds vs. futons