Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Game cover/packaging/artwork thread

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:25 AM #26 of 104
Sorry about the size, but it's just too cool.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:50 PM #27 of 104
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Easy: We Love Katamari, simple and strange, when I first saw the tan cousin, I thought it was holding a gun!
That shit is disgusting.

Here's a few I happen to thoroughly enjoy, and I would of posted ACZ, Seiken Densetsu and ICO but they've already been done.

All of those are fucking awesome. I'll post some more later.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:58 PM #28 of 104

I still remember finally finding a copy of this baby in the insane week following WoW's release. I almost got screwed by not pre-ordering.

Yeah, I can't find a bigger picture, but goddamn this box was golden. The first game I ever pre-ordered. I don't think any game ever has got me as hyped up as Zelda 64 did.

I know it's not out yet, but this packaging is pretty damn spiffy if you ask me. Oblivion will be fucking incredible.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:08 AM #29 of 104
One more classic Street Fighter boxart: SF2 Special Champion Edition for Genesis.

I like how M. Bison Scissor Kicks Guile just as the Sonic Boom is about to come out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:09 AM #30 of 104
Awesome game, shitty cover. Konami sometimes has a bad habit of doing this (using the Japanese cover as the intruction booklet cover, and making some really shitty layout for the US one, they recently did that with "Suikoden Tactics"). Thankfully, after this one, all the Suikoden covers have been great, except "Suikoden Tactics".

Suikoden

Suikoden Tactics

Most amazing jew boots
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:21 AM #31 of 104
The NA cover for BLACK is pretty damn good...

Japanese MGS3 Subsistence packaging:

Closer look at the artwork:

US "Regular" edition packaging:

The "Limited Edition" is the same cover only in red which makes it look like crap.

Finally...

FELIPE NO
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:59 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 02:59 AM #32 of 104
One of the best. So simple, but so good.

Others I like:

So can I get an Ecco for 360 please.

Also I really like the Condemned one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Mar 6, 2006 at 03:09 AM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:58 PM #33 of 104
Originally Posted by Godai
Suikoden Tactics
Why is this bad?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:44 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:44 PM #34 of 104
Besides the game not actually having anything to do with "Suikoden", that is. It's really this game:

Which actually doesn't seem that good a cover either

I personally really like the Children of Mana cover. Not only is the artist terrific, but the picture is so vibrant and well set, it easily brings out the "look" of the game. I hope they use the same cover for the European release, it'd be such a waste otherwise.

I'm really fond of old Zelda game covers. The NES ones really simple yet effective, just like Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time also continued the tradition (the golden one looks nice, but I actually prefer the regular black/gold version I have. Wind Waker was so different visually I guess the GC cover was fitting. The old covers held that certain graceful majesty to them, much like the PAL Final Fantasy covers with only the original logo (though many non-Europeans seem to prefer the character-filled US covers instead)

The non-platinum FF9 game discs were nice too, featuring the original character drawings by Amano.

Each disc with different color, different characters.

How ya doing, buddy?

Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:51 AM #35 of 104
Originally Posted by Elixir
Why is this bad?
Three character images that don't look good together, put over a bordered background...it just doesn't work.

Most amazing jew boots
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:14 PM #36 of 104
Kyril looking awful doesn't help either. I don't really like the Japanese/European one either for some reason, probably because the logo looks pretty awful. I really loved IV's cover though.

I don't get why Americans don't get the simple stylish covers for FF games, I preferred the simplicity of just the logo a lot more over Cloud staring at the Shinra building, or the main cast from FF IX. And I have to agree with Q, the disc artwork for FF IX is just gorgeous.

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:31 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:31 AM #37 of 104
Originally Posted by Enkidu
I don't get why Americans don't get the simple stylish covers for FF games, I preferred the simplicity of just the logo a lot more over Cloud staring at the Shinra building, or the main cast from FF IX. And I have to agree with Q, the disc artwork for FF IX is just gorgeous.
True, carrying this onto the Japanese FFXII cover with the judge is quite striking. But of course when we get the NA release, I wouldn't be surprised to find a picture of Vaan all over Penelo.

- What we all do best -
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:59 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:59 PM #38 of 104
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Easy: We Love Katamari, simple and strange, when I first saw the tan cousin, I thought it was holding a gun!
Say 'hello' to the European We <3 Katamari box.

I think the quirky style fits the game perfectly. Sadly, I can't see many buying a game looking like that.

Also, the japanese cart for Hitler no Fukkatsu: Top Secret (Or Bionic Commando if you are boring) is brilliant!
Honestly, it has Hitler and everything:

Pac-Man is pure LOL:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:06 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:06 PM #39 of 104
I personally am not too keen on the FF XII cover, the judge just looks way too big. I like that they are again using the same colour scheme as FFX and X-2, if I'm not mistaken.

FELIPE NO
Ryunam
As bright as a pumpkin

Member 158

Level 11.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:28 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:28 PM #40 of 104

Simply awesome.
Looks like the two are contending Rosa. it really gives it an attractively sensual feel.

Also this:

Very beautiful, it adequately mirrors the overall mood of the title - even in its quite simple rendition.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Ryunam; Mar 6, 2006 at 10:34 AM.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:13 PM #41 of 104
Originally Posted by Qwarky
The old covers held that certain graceful majesty to them, much like the PAL Final Fantasy covers with only the original logo (though many non-Europeans seem to prefer the character-filled US covers instead)
I like how you used the word "majestic" to describe these PAL Final Fantasy covers. That's what comes to mind when I look at them. But I myself don't really mind the North American versions, which are much more graphic heavy, with an emphasis on characters.

Here's Silent Hill 2, a game I really love:

Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:57 PM #42 of 104
While on the subject of Silent Hill, I really hate the Silent Hill 4 US cover, the PAL cover isn't all that great either, but it's definately better than the US cover, the Japanese cover wins in this case.

Silent Hill 4 (NTSC/J)

Silent Hill 4 (NTSC/UC)

Silent Hill 4 (PAL)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
aesop
all out of time, all into space

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:18 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:18 PM #43 of 104
Originally Posted by Timberwolf
Silent Hill 2, a game I really love:

I prefer the PAL version. I think it looks cleaner. The case folded out nicely, and the coloured area had an almost embossed effect on the cardboard. I really like that.

I also like Wipeout 2097's cover. It's probably the only PS1 game I can remember that never had the PLAYSTATION banner along the bottom.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by aesop; Mar 6, 2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edit a link
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:28 PM #44 of 104
aesop, it seems that the site you got the Wipeout image doesn't allow direct linking.

I've never seen the PAL version of Silent Hill 2. It's cool.

Here's the Japanese one:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 6, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:35 PM #45 of 104

They are different

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:46 PM #46 of 104
I guess no one played the first game so they just reused the old cover? hahah.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:54 PM #47 of 104
Which is odd, because not only are the games have nothing in common with each other (beside the fact that they are shootemups), but the cover has even less to do with the games.

Originally Posted by Kilroy

Also, the japanese cart for Hitler no Fukkatsu: Top Secret (Or Bionic Commando if you are boring) is brilliant!
Honestly, it has Hitler and everything:

I can't believe I missed this. The best cover I've ever seen. Is Hitler allowed to be in video games anymore?

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:58 PM #48 of 104
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72

They are different
Oh my GOD, I didn't realize they used that exact same shitty cover for Mobile Light Force 2, and they're not really even part of the same series!

I want this job, I seriously want this job so much. Do these people win these employments in the lottery or what? I mean look at these!

It's like no one's actually checking what they put on the covers. Or maybe they think shock advertisement works with the finished product as well =/

I've never seen the PAL version of Silent Hill 2. It's cool.
I really like the PAL SH2. Not just the cover, but the packaging too. It was one of the first "fancy" game packagings I can remember (at least since the SNES days of cloth maps and posters).

The thick cardboard slipcase held another case inside which opened up, like a fancy "collector's edition" DVD case. The bonus DVD with documentaries was nice too, though it was removed from the Platinum release.

Most amazing jew boots

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:07 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 PM #49 of 104
Acacia, the second BoF pic is the official European box art, and it looks ten times better than the US cover. The fan art, or whatever it is, is pretty cool, but it's a bit too crowded to look good as box art. I'd love it as a poster though.

Also, the US boxart for SMT: Nocturne looks much better than the European one (also because of the lousy name change). I'll post it later.

aesop
all out of time, all into space

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:16 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:16 PM #50 of 104
aesop, it seems that the site you got the Wipeout image doesn't allow direct linking.
I changed the link. All the pictures I find of it make it look dirty grey in colour, when it's really more silver.

Qwarky, the Silent Hill2 package came with a collector's card too right, or maybe a sticker?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Game cover/packaging/artwork thread