Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Manhogan Fantasy V: Because CHz really, really hates himself

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:22 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2013, 08:22 PM 8 #1 of 138
Manhogan Fantasy V: Because CHz really, really hates himself

All right assholes, check it. Skills and I are going to play Final Fantasy V in an incredibly idiotic way, and you're invited to join in.

If you haven't heard of it before, the Four Job Fiesta is a hilarious for-charity mass challenge play of FFV that anyone can sign up for. The gimmick is that a Twitter bot assigns you a random job at four points through the game, and you can only use the jobs it's given you. So if the first job it gives you is White Mage, you have to use four of them until you get another job. Crying is a free action.

Skills and I were going to enter, but we found a critical flaw with the process: it's possible that the random jobs might accidentally be useful. If the point is hilarity, then we might as well just choose the worst jobs ahead of time and ensure failure. So here's what we're going to run:
  1. Thief
  2. Skills and I weren't sure which was worse for job #2, so we're going to try both: I'm going to take Berserker, and Skills is going to take Red Mage. The winner of the debate is whoever wipes more, and the prize is a rage aneurysm.
  3. Geomancer
  4. Dragoon
I'm going to be playing the GBA port, because I've never played that version before, and it sounds like Skills is going to too. This meshes well with the enormous degree to which we hate ourselves, because the GBA version has a bonus dungeon with balls-stompingly difficult bosses. Grinding to level 99 or engine exploits may be necessary. This is the price we pay for glory.

~~~~~

Now, how are you involved in this, dear reader? There are two routes available to you.

Paco Mode: In this mode, your participation is limited to laughing at our plight as we post updates on how we're doing and what killed us this time. We exist for your amusement.

I'm Not a Worthless Shitgolem Mode: In this mode, you play along with us because you're awesome like that. I've uploaded the GBA ROM I'll be using, already patched, so just click this enormous hyperlink to get it for yourself.

Either way, have fun! =D

~~~~~

RUN LIST:
  • Acer - Thief/Summoner/??/?? - Walse Tower
  • CHz - Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon - complete + Shinryu w/o Omega, Sealed Temple (Gil Turtle, Grand Aevis)
  • Diss - Thief/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Chemist - Krile
  • Garr - Black Mage/Berserker/White Mage/Bard - Twintania
  • Hyde - Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dancer - complete
  • Pang #1 - White Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Dragoon - complete
  • Pang #2 - Blue Mage/Red Mage/Thief/Bard - complete (next: superbosses?)
  • Shin - Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai - complete
  • Skills - Thief/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon - North Mountain
  • Sousuke - ??/??/??/?? - ??
  • TheKnightOfNee - Knight/Red Mage/Bard/Dragoon - ??

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Sep 6, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:32 PM 1 #2 of 138
Welp. I've never finished FFV but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand around idly when I could do something stupid and masochistic instead.

You know I'm in.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:34 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2013, 10:34 PM 1 #3 of 138
We are so fucked.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:07 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2013, 10:07 PM #4 of 138
Oh, I just realized that I forgot to explain what I meant by the ROM being "already patched." The ROM I uploaded is the European version of the game with the musicfix patch applied, so the instrument quality is better and the music-related slowdown is almost entirely gone. It's nothing major and doesn't affect the challenge, so feel free to play whatever version of the game you want. It's just there for convenience.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:53 AM 1 #5 of 138
Let's do this, assholes. <3 Gonna just roll with what the Autobot (hah) gives me.

Contemplating either Natural or Random Mode on my run as well. I haven't beaten this game before, so I'm not sure yet. Will decide though by the time I get to the Wind Crystal.

...Speaking of which, my Wind Job is Thief. ...Fuck.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:00 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 02:00 AM #6 of 138
I haven't played through FFV yet, but i also don't hate myself. Thusly, i will play along, but without putting myself through unnecessary pain and torment.

That sort of stuff is best left to the professionals.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:15 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 01:15 AM 9 #7 of 138

AWWW YEAH LET'S ROCK AND ROLL

Now, I'm not a Japanese language originalist at all, and I'll happily use the localized names 99% of the time. But for this game, the original Japanese name of the main character is so, so superior that I can't not use it.

And we're off!

FELIPE NO
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 11:04 AM #8 of 138
When something smells...

Most amazing jew boots
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:24 PM 1 #9 of 138
Did you fools even donate?

Also, I'm in. Gonna do the normal run with no restriction. I played FFV in college and I'm due for a re-run.

Check out my journal to help me name my characters for my run.
AWWW YIS

Here are my jobs below:
1. Theif

Last edited by THIEF; Jun 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:41 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 PM #10 of 138
I never played FFV so fuck it, why not. Might go for the PSP version for convenience.

Although thinking about it, I might actually have a PSOne disc with it on already...

How ya doing, buddy?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:18 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 02:18 PM #11 of 138
Check out my journal to help me name my characters for my run.
AWWW YIS
The only character in FFV you're allowed to rename is Bartz.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:30 PM #12 of 138
Zomg, naming chracters is the best part of old school RPGs. GOD I HATE LIFE

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:00 PM #13 of 138
It's fine, nothing would be able to top CHz's fucking Earthbound Zeal rename run anyway.

"...Halo 3's miraculous power" ahahahaha never going to stop being great

I was speaking idiomatically.

#654: Braixen
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:38 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2013, 09:38 PM 7 #14 of 138

This guy is a total joke. Gotta enjoy the Freelancers while I still have them, because after this battle finishes in thirty seconds this game is going to get much, much worse.

I THINK THESE CRYSTALS ARE DEFECTIVE, CAN I GET A REFUND PLEASE

The Tule weapon shop is the first sign that I've made a terrible, terrible decision. The weapon classes they stock are sword, rod, and staff. Thieves can only equip knives. This means that the only two knife-class weapons I have available are the ones two of my characters started off with, and two of my dudes have to go unarmed.

My shit is so fucked, you guys.

By the way Skills, as a friendly piece of advice, make sure you buy like 30 potions before you leave Tule. THIS IS NOT A JOKE

Karlabos is not terribly difficult. Would've been easier with magic, but the physical damage of the two weapons I have were enough to beat it.

My first encounter in the Ship Graveyard gave me two daggers. This is one of the luckiest breaks I've ever had in the history of gaming.

SIREN WAS SO HARD JESUS. Without magic you basically can't damage the undead form, so you have to spend the normal form recklessly attacking at every opportunity and the undead form spamming potions to recover from her nasty physical attacks. Did it without anyone dying, but I used literally 20 potions during this battle.

My shit is so, so fucked, you guys.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:52 PM #15 of 138
I'm looking forward to the pain.

How ya doing, buddy?
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:57 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2013, 10:57 PM 1 #16 of 138
[ 22:49:01 ] [ @CHz ] Okay, let's see if I can take Shiva with level 10 Thieves.
[ 22:49:14 ] [ +Tritoch ] Believe in yourself
[ 22:49:43 ] [ @CHz ] How hard could this possibly be without fire spells?
[ 22:50:48 ] [ +Garr ] dis gon be gud
[ 22:50:55 ] [ @CHz ] ^
[ 22:52:02 ] [ @CHz ] This fight is 100% completely pointless because I'm not going to be able to summon anything.
[ 22:52:05 ] [ @CHz ] FOR GLORY
[ 22:53:04 ] [ @CHz ] OH CHRIST

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:37 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2013, 10:37 PM 6 #17 of 138

The Carwen weapon shop sells daggers. Thanks a lot, assholes, I really need these now.

I left Carwen with 30 potions, and I had 14 left before trying this fight for the first time. Turns out that 14 is not enough! I was doing okay until Magissa drained Lenna for 184 HP. Lenna only has 147 HP max, so she somehow drained HP out of her even after she was dead. I had some phoenix downs and could've kept going, but I decided to just take the game over and go back for leveling and more potions. Especially since those 184 HP Magissa recovered were like four turns' worth of damage. D:

I went back to Carwen to get a million more potions, and in the process I leveled up twice (8 -> 10). That made a bigger difference than the potions, because it tripled my damage output per turn. Took them down the second time without much trouble.

The first benefit from Thieves, and probably the only one I'll ever get, comes in Walse. The Flee command makes it really easy to escape from the Jackanapes in the basement, so with three or four phoenix downs you can grab the amazing Elven Mantle.

See Diss's post directly above.

OH MAN OBSESSIVELY CHECKING THE BESTIARY AFTER EVERY NEW ENCOUNTER PAID OFF, I NEED NEW WEAPONS LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE

SON OF A BITCH

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:34 AM 2 #18 of 138
Alright, Grundl and company have made it through Tule and the Wind Shrine with minimal incident, let's see what we get...

Additional Spam:
Hahahaha I keep forgetting the rest of the forums don't have dice. Regardless, purple d6 on my desk says all-White-Mage-party is a go. I get the impression it could be a lot worse.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jun 21, 2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:28 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 PM 1 #19 of 138
I rolled a one so Knights. My first ever time playing this might not be so bad as it could have been...

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:59 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2013, 01:59 PM 9 #20 of 138
I will destroy both of you.

Additional Spam:

FUCK

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 21, 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:06 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2013, 12:06 AM #21 of 138
Yeah, Siren wasn't much of a challenge for level nine knights.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:38 PM 3 #22 of 138
Dice rollers... bah who needs those. Not when you have the best decision maker you could possibly want right here.

Alright let's just type six jobs in there...

and press that magical button:

Oh...

oh...

Chz, you rigged this didn't you?

Well I guess we can get this thing crackalackin...

Join me while I stream this bullshit and play through FFV for the first time the only way I know how. Awfully.

CLICK!

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:29 AM 1 #23 of 138
Garula nearly took me down, hilariously low on MP after pounding away with our curly sticks at 20 HP/pop for half an hour. Whatever the water crystal gets me has to be an improvement in damage output if nothing else.

Well. Well okay. I've heard nothing good about Berserkers but I can't complain about their damage output. Hey, what's this? Water tower? Just a bunch of frogs, apparently. FALL LIKE WHEAT BEFORE MY GRUNDZERKING

Welp. See you again in like 10 levels, Shiva. Fuck.

FELIPE NO
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:47 AM 1 #24 of 138
I started this fun FFV run a few days back, and drew the wonderful team of Knight/Red Mage/Bard/Dragoon. Aside from some decent damage at times and my bard kicking ass by singing everyone silly, this party kind of blows. I was super glad to have all my red mage spells like 6 hours into the game, as I knew that class would have little usefulness beyond there. And when I eventually learn doublecast, it will be almost entirely useless since nobody else can use magic. 999 AP well spent!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:52 AM 1 #25 of 138
And here's where I left off.

Basically only got up to getting the ability to change jobs. As promised here's my group of thieves.

If you'd like to watch me play this game poorly, make silly stupid voices, and cough into the microphone a lot here's tonight's stream. Fair warning: the music was fairly loud in my headphones so I kinda unknowingly yelled into the microphone and nobody in stream chat bothered to correct me or seemed to be okay with it when I asked. So yeah... sorry about that. Oh and fuck actual video editing or clipping of stuff. Skip around. I'm lazy as fuck.

YouTube Video

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Tags
!animals erry day, 99999999999999999 potions, a world of jerks, an epidemic of thievery, bahamut v bahamut, bells rock...in ff3ds, blaster lol, chzfaqs, destroy all jackanapes, faris = potion caddy, fuck you dragon, garula counter ow ow ow, geomancers whyyyyyyyyyyyy, great turtle extinction, shadowflare, smuggest thing alive, steal all the knives, the party was defeated, want to buy my ethers, why am i doing this again, wiped against shiva again, wish i had bard, wish i had ch-oh i do lol, wish i had ranger, wvlf wears bells

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Manhogan Fantasy V: Because CHz really, really hates himself