Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 259 Voting/WEEK 260 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:45 AM #1 of 23
Song of the Week - WEEK 259 Voting/WEEK 260 Nominating

Song of the Week. 250 Weeks and counting.
Week 259 Voting is get your stinking paws off me.
Week 260 Nominating is get your stinking paws off me.

A Word to the Wise Week Planet of the Apes
It's an epic showdown throwdown among musics that Wise wrote for monkeygames!

Results
1). [16] Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
2). [14] Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
3). [12] Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
4). [10] DK Jamz: The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
5). [8] Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7
6). [6] Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple
7). [4] R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen
1). [2] BattleToads (NES Game Rip) -

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: BattleToads (NES Game Rip) - Pause Music
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
"Pause Music" is presented in its full glorious and proper length above. Those who are pussies can find a shorter version in the extras folder.

Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:51 PM #2 of 23
nomination

Artist: DJ Mass MAD Izm*
Album: I AM NOT A DJ
Track Title: Inter1:Yellow/EightySix
Track number: 5
Other album info: LC-1922 | I AM NOT A DJ - VGMdb
Additional notes: This whole album is fantastic and I would love to nominate every song from it. This song is really short and I sure wish it was a lot longer, but in its short time it manages to be ridiculously awesome in all regards.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:16 PM #3 of 23
I pussied out. We should have saved that for Pause Menu Week!

(2 points) Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns: Damn, good choice. This tune was seated deep, deep in my memory, and it really pays off: fun, rolling rhythm, and upbeat without being too sugary sweet.

(2 point) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy: Not new to me, but still rates well. Not a big "industrial sound effect" sort of guy but here it totally adds to the synth foundation that's laid.

(1 point) R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen: Too short but it has action-packed chiptune goodness built into its bite-sized running time.

(1 point) Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple: It'll probably get hammered cause it's way too subtle, but there's a delightful sense of mystery within this minimal track.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:20 AM #4 of 23
2 points - Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
2 points - R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen
1 point - Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
1 point - Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:55 PM #5 of 23
BattleToads (NES Game Rip) - Pause Music The real trouble for Mr. Wise is that he peaked too early. What is there that he, or indeed the human race, could write that can compare to the perfection in these sixteen notes? It's like looking into the face of a funky God.

Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns This actually sounds a lot racier than you'd expect, with electronics all up in it and only a few scattered banjo notes here and there to remind of its rustic monkey flavor.

DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon Starts as a tinny sea chanty, then morphs into limp action muzak. This monkeytune's been around a long time and it still hasn't lost any of its lack of appeal.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy Some cool percussion and mellowness. Can't quite decide if it's brilliant or slightly annoying. Maybe it's both.

Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued) So wait, we can nominate OCR mixes as long as they're made by professional artists? I'm totally nominating Soule's OCR mix to test this to the utmost, followed by mixes by people like virt who have since gone on to actual paying gigs. All that aside, the saxophone is awesome and totally sells me on this, even it is a bit of a rip from "Baker Street."

Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7 This has a real "Battletoads" vibe to it. That's a good thing. It also doesn't involve monkeys, which is a better thing.

R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen This sounds like a lighthearted riff on "Wily Stage 1." Which is pretty cool, if pretty short.

Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple This sounds like one of those "rainforest noise" CDs designed to put people to sleep. It worked.

The Point Spread
Pause Music - ? pts. Eternal SotW winner emeritus.
Re-Skewed - 3 pts.
Darkmoon Caverns - 2 pts.
Monster Maxi Pad - 1 pt.

Nomitty Nom Nom
Artist: Jake Kaufman (virt)
Album: Mighty Milky Way / Mighty Flip Champs OST
Track Title: MMW - Title (Extended)
Track number: 11
Additional notes: *MY LUCKY STARRR*

I was speaking idiomatically.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:11 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2012, 05:11 PM #6 of 23
So wait, we can nominate OCR mixes as long as they're made by professional artists? I'm totally nominating Soule's OCR mix to test this to the utmost, followed by mixes by people like virt who have since gone on to actual paying gigs.
Well, this isn't the first time: http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35347.

This falls into the "you can nominate pretty much anything by a VGM composer as long as it wasn't written for an anime or something like that" category. We've had a number of other unofficial arrangements over the years, and I don't see a reason to treat OCR any differently. (Although being that Mr. Wise arranged his own material, maybe I shouldn't be calling this "unofficial.")

(I could maybe make a notability argument against Soule's mix because it's Terra, but we've pretty much thrown that out the window.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:28 AM 1 #7 of 23
I wasn't serious about Soule, since that song was annihilated in the BDC. But as you can see by my nomination, I was very serious about virt. As should we all be!

FELIPE NO
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:24 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2012, 01:24 AM #8 of 23
<<3 Points>> DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
<<2 Points>> Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
<<1 Point>> Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:58 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2012, 02:58 PM #9 of 23
Next nomination:

Album: Guitar Freaks and Drummania Blazing V6
Track Title: Chronos
Composer: TAG
Info: LC-1791~2 | GuitarFreaksV6 & DrumManiaV6 BLAZING!!!! Original... - VGMdb
File: on the server.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:42 PM 1 #10 of 23
2 points: Darkmoon Caverns
2 points: Stage BGM 7
1 point: Gang-Plank Galleon
1 point: Mining Melancholy
Just Missed: Title Screen, Re-Skewed, Ocean Force Point Temple, Pause Music

I listened to all 45 minutes of Pause Music . (That was surprisingly productive - I revised an outline for a paper I'm working on in that time)

Darkmoon Caverns is the sole reason I gave more time into Diddy Kong Racing over Mario Kart 64 - that and the fact that it's a much better game. The stage itself being a blast to play helped as well. My favorite DKR tune. That part right before the loop is OMGGGGG

If Re-Skewed were the original track (not possible given the nomination rules), I could've safely said that this was the first week where I was familiar with all 8 tracks beforehand. Great arrangement.

Shoutouts to David Wise for being a VGM boss all these years.

also shoutouts to Mining Melancholy for not being on the original soundtrack, wtf

There's nowhere I can't reach.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:16 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2012, 04:16 PM #11 of 23
2 points: BattleToads (NES Game Rip) -
2 points: Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
1 point: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
1 point: Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7
cigarless: Re-Skewed

Additional Spam:
Hey guys, vote and nominate please. Sincerely, CHz.

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Mar 18, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:16 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2012, 04:16 PM #12 of 23
I had to restart PAUSE so many times so I got the sync right between the music and the gif. Payoff was worth it.

3 points: Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued) [so good; dat sax]
2 points: Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple [gorgeous...]
1 point: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy [so catchy; dat percussion]
</3: Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7

Great week! Wise has such godly talent.

How ya doing, buddy?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:29 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2012, 12:29 PM 1 #13 of 23
2 points: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
2 points: Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7
1 point: DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
1 point: R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen
45 points: BattleToads (NES Game Rip) - Pause Music
Wish I could give it a point because it sounds like this: Ocean Force Point Temple

Yeah, I've listened to the whole 45-minute thing while doing some boring spreadsheets. Didn't help much. Stage BGM 7 is new to me, and it's really smooth and kicks my ass. I own R.C. Pro-Am (such an awesome game), and the title music was probably my first encounter with David Wise back in 1988.

There were a few Wise songs from other games that I would have liked to make the cut, like Solar Jetman, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, or Ironsword. Can't complain though, great week overall!

Nomination:

Jolteon

Member 35682

Level 17.53

Apr 2010

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:36 PM #14 of 23
3 points: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
1 point: Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed
1 point: Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
1 point: Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple

I like Mining Melancholy because it is Melancholic (DO HO HO HO), has a lot of cool metallic sounds used as percussion and tons of DELAY ECHOES.

I like Darkmoon Caverns because it has cool rhodes piano chords and lots of neat effects around it with pretty sounding DELAY ECHOES.

I like "Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple" because it is very "atmospheric" in a cool way. I think that is especially helped by the interesting cool sounding sample choice and DELAY ECHOES.

I like "Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)" because it has cool synths in it and I think it is very "WHOA I AM GOING TO FALL OVER IT IS HEROIC" and I like that. Awesome saxophone and trumpet soloS ALSO WITH DELAY ECHOES.

David Wise is the king of the DELAY ECHOES.

Most amazing jew boots
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:40 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2012, 07:40 PM #15 of 23
Quick votes go go go:

(2 points) Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns

(2 points) DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon

(2 points) Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
Jolteon

Member 35682

Level 17.53

Apr 2010

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:00 AM #16 of 23
Nomination:

Album: Light Crusader (Game Rip)
Artist: Aki Hata
Track Title: Boss Fight
Year: 1995
Additional notes: This is probably the most stereotypical "Jolteon nomination" ever
Source: Project 2612 which isn't actually very good at creditsinfostuff so Wikipedia which is better at credits (OH NO YOU GET AN F WIKIPEDIA ISNT A REAL SITE IT DOESN'T EXIST) and other places say the same thing too and so sS YES.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Joe Wiewel
hard worker

Member 259

Level 18.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:12 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2012, 12:12 AM #17 of 23
2 points: Mining Melancholy
1 point: Gang-Plank Galleon
1 point: Re-Skewed
1 point: Stage BGM 7
1 point: Ocean Force Point Temple
a tip of my hat: Darkmoon Caverns

I had a hard time with this one. To me, Mining Melancholy was the best of the group, but most of the rest of them were also pretty good as well, except... Pause Music was too simplistic, though I will admit is it awesome for a track that plays while a game is paused. Title Screen was good while it lasted, but was too short to seriously compete with the others.

That left the ones listed above. I had to listen to them several times over before deciding which one to place on the chopping block. Stage BGM 7 is pretty good for a chiptune and Ocean Force Point Temple is a well done ambient track. Among Darkmoon Caverns and the two remaining "monkeytunes", Darkmoon Caverns was not as catchy to me as the "monkeytunes" after listening to all of the tracks several times over, though it is very well done for a N64 racing game. Placing it on the chopping block was a difficult decision, though it shall remain in my music collection despite never having played Diddy Kong Racing before.

Speaking of Rareware games, that brings me to my nomination...

Nomination:

Album: Conker's Bad Fur Day Soundtrack
Artist: Robin Beanland, Henry Purcell
Disc #: 1 (of 1)
Track #: 9 of 18
Track Title: Rock Solid
Catalogue Number: RARECBFD01
Year: 2001
Additional Info: This is the first time I've heard of this "Henry Purcell". I thought Conker's Bad Fur Day was all Robin Beanland until I looked up this album's info on VGMdb.

I uploaded this nomination to the FTP server several hours ago.

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:13 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2012, 11:13 PM 1 #18 of 23
I don't know if the composer didn't deserve his own week or the selection just wasn't too inspired, but this was one of the worst weeks ever IMO.

1 point ~ Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
2 points ~ DK Jamz - The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
3 points ~ Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:27 PM #19 of 23
My next :

: Monopoly 2 (SNES Rip)(The Monopoly Game 2?)
: Yasutsuna Sasaki
: Boardwalk Cup Final
: 16 on SPC set
: n/a
: 1995
: Game profile: Monopoly 2 ~ SNESmusic.org
: . .

FTP.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:49 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2012, 12:49 AM 1 #20 of 23
Voting is Draconis and Muzza what a shocker and nominations are closed!

1). [16] Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Game Rip) - Mining Melancholy
2). [14] Donkey Kong Country 2 ~Diddy's Kong Quest~ Serious Monkey Business - Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
3). [12] Diddy Kong Racing (Game Rip) - Darkmoon Caverns
4). [10] DK Jamz: The Original Donkey Kong Country Soundtrack - Gang-Plank Galleon
5). [8] Monster Max (Game Rip) - Stage BGM 7
6). [6] Star Fox Adventures (Game Rip) - Ocean Force Point Temple
7). [4] R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip) - Title Screen
1). [2] BattleToads (NES Game Rip) -

What the hell happened to the point totals

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:30 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2012, 01:30 PM #21 of 23
What's great is that it's in even and not odd numbers.

Hey, what do you know, back-to-back golds.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:06 AM #22 of 23
Official breaking news flash: Draconis owns all theme weeks ever.

Also: you philistines.

How ya doing, buddy?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:38 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2012, 04:38 PM #23 of 23
^ except JBCS theme weeks :ego:

This Draconis-Muzza duopoly is serious business. We must duel.

Also even stevens results.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 259 Voting/WEEK 260 Nominating