Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Game Shows

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 11:08 PM Local time: May 22, 2009, 12:38 AM 1 #1 of 5
Game Shows

I had such an awesome time on the radio show the other night, especially when we were talking about game shows at the very end. I've watched so much television when I was a kid and just because of our radio conversation we had last. I decided to look up on youtube just to see if they had any videos of some of the gameshows I loved to watch as I a kid and I was so delighted to see them. I'll just give everyone a fair warning this post is going to be very youtube heavy.

Hey Nutty, I just wanted to make sure, when I looked up dog eat dog on youtube I did come across one of the naked challenges. So I decided to share it with everybody:

YouTube Video

To any Canadians that read this thread if you remember any of these gameshows you are really cool or really fucking pathetic. I'd say I'm the latter.

Here is Bumper Stumpers

YouTube Video

I use to watch this gameshow a lot as a kid because it was for kids, but if I can find another Canadian that actually watched this it'll be a fucking miracle:

YouTube Video

It was just cool to watch this show as a kid, because as a kid you use to get jealous of seeing the kids win all these toys.

And Skills just for you:

YouTube Video

Possibly the greatest gameshow a Canadian gamer could ever ask for, if your Canadian and you were into video games as a kid and you didn't watch this show, you are a fucking loser (just kidding)

YouTube Video

Finally, one show I never ever watched even though it use to come on in the US quite a lot was a show called Double Dare. I never seen an episode, but there was another show a little bit like Double Dare I use to watch all the time, but I never got to see it very often because it was always on when I had to go to school as a kid. When I was sick, or if we had a weekday off of school I would watch this show all the frigging time. I'm hoping there are other people that have seen this show before because in my eyes it was a great show to watch as a kid:

YouTube Video

Yeah, I know I'm a nerd, but I love my childhood shows that much. I'm just wondering the host of the show looks like the guy who hosted the gamepro show, but I'm not too sure. I just checked, this guy hosted this gameshow also hosted the gamepro show. That is so awesome.

So to the GFF community what has been some of your favorite gameshows you've ever watched as a kid or even right now. Do you have any favorite memorable moments from some of the gameshows you use to watch.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Angel of Light; May 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling errors
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 01:47 AM #2 of 5
Supermarket Sweep...man that brings back some memories. My mom used to watch this all the time and eventually I started competing in the games with her. Of course, I sucked at it since I rarely went shopping.

Game shows have been a part of my life since I was little. I've enjoyed the awesomeness of some game shows old and new. If I'm going to mention a classic, I'm going to have to talk about one with the word in its name. Classic Concentration. Matching two squares on the board would earn you a prize and reveal a puzzle behind the cards. Two wild cards would be on the board...any of them selected would automatically earn you the prize if you selected one beforehand or on your next guess.

Classic Concentration

If you won the game, not only would you win the prizes you matched but you would have a chance at the bonus round at the end to win one of 8 cars. 15 squares, 7 matches with 1 car not being able to be won on that time around. If you made the final match before time ran out, that was the car you won. I think this is one they should bring back.

The next game show is a definite classic. Though I think the puzzles have just become friggin stupid and I still prefer the original theme song, I still like Wheel of Fortune. It was a game where everybody could win. Spin the wheel, guess a consonant from the alphabet and multiply the money value you landed on the wheel with the number of letters on the puzzle. Now back in the day, they kept a champion if they won on the show previously. Now, they don't but that's probably because the prize and money values have gone up so much (and probably also explains why the final puzzles are so friggin difficult).

Wheel of Fortune

Family Feud is another one that isn't what it used to be. I watched it with Ray Combs when I was young, then it went to Louie Anderson (and that didn't turn out so well). When I got GSN, I started watching the old episodes with Richard Dawson and they're pretty awesome. When Richard Karn took over, Family Feud was pretty decent again. I don't remember the host who replaced Karn, but I didn't like him. There was a celebrity one with Al Roker and that was awesome because the #1 answers were more than 28 points. Fast Money was what the Bonus Round was called and it was pretty nerve racking to try and come up with 5 answers to 5 survey questions in 15 seconds.

Family Feud

Press Your Luck was another old favorite of mine. I freakin loved it...Big Bucks, no Whammies, no Whammies, no Whammies.......no Whammies...STOP!!

Press Your Luck

They eventually revived the show as Whammy! but they stopped airing it after 2 or 3 seasons. For the most part, it kept most of the original format from the old show so it was great.

So Canada had YTV Video and Arcade? Well there are 2 video game shows that I can remember, the earliest being Video Power. Dude, the final part of the show is freakin awesome. Stick as many video games as you can to your suit within the time limit and whatever you got to the finish line with, you kept.

Video Power

Then there was Nick Arcade, the other awesome video game show from my childhood. They usually opened up with one player from each team facing off in either a side-scroller, a shooter, or a Pong ripoff. Whoever won got control in the first round (they did this before the second round too). You took control of Mikey and made him move in directions towards the goal (he can't go diagonally). Now the spaces you moved Mikey to wouldn't be revealed until you moved to them. If you land on the Enemy space, control shifts to the other team. The best part of the game was where they hit the Video Challenge space. You had to beat the Expert's Challenge on a certain game (Joe & Mac, Sonic, ActRaiser) and your partner wagered points on whether he/she thought you'd do well or not. The final part of the show was awesome too. Sorry I couldn't find a better video.

Nick Arcade

There were some other game shows I liked from Nickelodeon such as Legends of the Hidden Temple and Family Double Dare.

How about a game show based on a video game? That's right, I'm talking about Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Probably the only thing I enjoyed watching in school when they made us watch PBS.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

As for any physical game shows out there, only one reigns supreme for me and that's American Gladiators. My favorite event from that show had to be Human Cannonball.

YouTube Video

Of course the show wasn't always this fun for the contenders. They get roughed up quite a bit in events such as Powerball
YouTube Video

And they end up running for their lives and taking aim in Assault.
YouTube Video

Wow this is definitely a long trip down memory lane. However, if there's one game show that stands out as my favorite among all of them, it's The Price is Right. It is the ultimate play-along at home game show where you try to guess the price of prizes or what number the contest should go with in the price of a car. Now there were some great games that have been retired and will never be played again such as:

Penny Ante
YouTube Video

and SuperBall (which is pretty much like SkiBall that you see at Chuck E Cheese)
YouTube Video

Then there are some great current games such as Plinko!

And my personal favorite, 3 Strikes! (where the fuck is this?! This hasn't been played in over a year...of course I haven't seen a really expensive car such as a Lincoln played for in a while).
YouTube Video

However, there are times when the contestants just don't understand what to do or are just stupid. XD

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

There are some game shows that aren't my absolute favorites, but they're worth mentioning such as Jeopardy and $100,000 Pyramid. There are also some new game shows on that are interesting such as Bingo America and Catch 21. Hopefully, game shows will continue to be around for a long time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 02:25 AM #3 of 5
Oh my god. I love game shows. You have no idea.

Nick Arcade, though, holy shit. That game was a fucking pile. The host was a douche, the video game content was minimal, and the bonus round was IMPOSSIBLE for most people to win, it was patently unfair.

Supermarket Sweep was one of my favorite shows as a kid. To the point where there's a VHS tape floating around the house of the day I made my mom "host" an episode where I ran around the basement with a toy shopping cart collecting shit. I was... 4 or 5 at the time.

Price is Right is just the perennial classic. Bob Barker was a class act, and Drew Carey can suck a fat nut. I was willing to cut him some slack when he got the job but he's gotten no less stiff in the couple years he's been hosting. I really think the show's coasting on its own popularity rather than Bob's at this point.

Family Feud is a classic for stupid answers, and Dawson is still one of the best hosts out there (at least, during his original stay. His 1994 run saw a bloated Dawson slurring words and otherwise making the best of what was by that point a neutered format of the game anyway.)

Wheel of Fortune is a good example of a show that gets by more on its gameplay than its host. Pat Sajak is now synonymous with the show, but for god's sake, the man looks like he wants to kill himself the whole time he's on the show, and he's almost definitely pulling at least seven digits a year for hosting it.

You missed Press Your Luck, though. That show had a great host, a great set, and one of the greatest stories ever in Michael Larsen actually beating the system and taking home a retarded amount of money.

YouTube Video

The worst part is how he blew it all on bad real estate deals and died broke.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 08:57 AM #4 of 5
Oh I remember the whole Michael Larson event and that shit was crazy. After that show, they had to change the board format from 5 patterns to like 32 or something. On Whammy they had a reunion show bringing back the other two contestants and since Larson was dead by that point they brought his brother on for the show. For the question and answer round, I believe they brought back the old host Peter Tamarkin. Larson's brother ended up winning the show. XD

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2009, 01:10 PM #5 of 5
Whoa, Angel. I remember all of those. Bumper Stumpers? And yeah, I always wished I could somehow be on V&A. That would've been awesome.

Aside from that, I've always associated the term 'game show' with The Price is Right. It's always been my favourite, and I've watched it since I was like, 3 or 4. Not religiously, mind you, but you know. And plus, it had Bob Barker! [Actually now that I've gone and skimmed through the thread a bit, I see that this has been mentioned a few times already. Oh well!]

When I was 2-3 years old, I used to watch Wheel of Fortune all the time. I absolutely adored Vanna. I would apparently do 'The Vanna' thing [where she holds her arms out to introduce the puzzles] on command, and cheer 'Eight thousand! Eight thousand!' whenever they spun the wheel.

Also, though not technically a game show... there's a show called QI. The only reason I might put it in the same category is because it's a sort of quiz-style show, and there's points. It's absolutely hilarious, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Game Shows