Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Favorite Horror Movie

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:52 PM #26 of 39
Originally Posted by Prosthetic
I don't know, yet. I liked the remake tons, but I haven't got around to seeing the original yet, since the local video store only carries the VHS version and I don't even have a VHS player anymore. One way or another, I'm going to figure this out. Maybe I'll be able to check it out today.

This was one aspect that I didn't like about it. Zombies shouldn't be able to run. It just doesn't make sense, and they're terrifying enough even if they have to move slow. Their sheer numbers were supposed to be what makes up for their lack of speed and genius. I actually enjoyed the movie though, despite my qualms about it.

Land of the dead, however, I found to be a God-awful movie, and a disgrace to zombie movies, PERIOD.
I liked LOTD, I mean if anyone can change the rules about the zombie genere Romero can since he created the genre. I just thought of it as a cool action/horror movie.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 05:44 PM #27 of 39
Originally Posted by MagicalVacation
Ah well, I disagree, zombies that just move slow aren't scary at all, you can just push them over or walk around them. But zombies that run after you :-D That's terrifying :-D

If I had to choose between being surrounded by a thousand really slow zombies, or ten really fast ones, I'd choose the thousand slow ones :-s
Alright, you really really have to see the 79 Dawn. Like now.

It's not about how terrifying one zombie is. It's not even about how terrifying the ten that you can see are. It's about how terrifying the idea that you cannot escape them. There is one of you, and there are millions and millions of them. Not matter how much ammo you have, you will not have enough to kill them all. No matter how far you run, they will eventually catch you. No matter how well defended and gaurded you are, they will get to you. The zombies themselves arn't scary. It's the idea of the helplessness and inevitable death at thier hands that is.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:56 PM #28 of 39
I never watched Zombie movies to be scared cause very few movies scare me, I watch most horror movies for either gore, violence, or great performaces by villians.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:06 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 10:06 PM #29 of 39
Psycho and Psycho II. I really like the character development of Norman Bates.

Most amazing jew boots

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 11:04 AM #30 of 39
I'm suprised no one started throwing around asian horror flicks yet - okay "the Eye" was mentioned.
I think "The Shining" still is the best horror movie there is. Few manage to get close.
Event Horizon has to be the best in "Space Horror".
And the "most scary" one for me still is Ju-On (The original, not the one with Buffy).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:21 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 02:21 PM #31 of 39
"The Shining" is one of the best. Nicholson's performance was incredible. I also really like "Alien," and "Aliens." The one that scared the shit out of me when I was kid was "The Thing." That is pure freaky for a 12 year old kid and is still pretty good.

FELIPE NO
Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:45 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 11:45 AM #32 of 39
Originally Posted by acid
Alright, you really really have to see the 79 Dawn. Like now.

It's not about how terrifying one zombie is. It's not even about how terrifying the ten that you can see are. It's about how terrifying the idea that you cannot escape them. There is one of you, and there are millions and millions of them. Not matter how much ammo you have, you will not have enough to kill them all. No matter how far you run, they will eventually catch you. No matter how well defended and gaurded you are, they will get to you. The zombies themselves arn't scary. It's the idea of the helplessness and inevitable death at thier hands that is.
This guy knows his movies.

Originally Posted by MagicalVacation
Ah well, I disagree, zombies that just move slow aren't scary at all, you can just push them over or walk around them. But zombies that run after you :-D That's terrifying :-D

If I had to choose between being surrounded by a thousand really slow zombies, or ten really fast ones, I'd choose the thousand slow ones :-s
acid said it best. Definitely. It has nothing to do with "I might escape," it's more "If I do escape, how long will it be for this time?"

Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
I liked LOTD, I mean if anyone can change the rules about the zombie genere Romero can since he created the genre. I just thought of it as a cool action/horror movie.
Personally, I've never really been that big of a George Romero fan. Night of the Living Dead was fantastic, even to todays standards, but let's face it, he's a classic movie director trying to add new flare to his old style... and it just came out as forced, over the top, and purposefully raunchy.

Spoiler:
Like at the end "Don't shoot. They're just looking for a place to live... like us." SERIOUSLY, what the fuck is that? THEY'RE ZOMBIES, DOUCHEBAG.

The scenes like that pissed me off. Not good horror movie making.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:21 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 02:21 PM #33 of 39
Night of the Living Dead was fantastic, even to todays standards
I'm a huge Romero fan, and I love Night Of The Living Dead, but you can't seriously hold that film to todays standards. I mean, with all the continuity mistakes and little goofs, not to mention a soundtrack lifted directly from another film and the mildly hokey acting you can hardly make that comparison. It's a very original, enjoyable movie, that's undeniable. But well made? Not really.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:19 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 01:19 PM #34 of 39
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
I'm a huge Romero fan, and I love Night Of The Living Dead, but you can't seriously hold that film to todays standards. I mean, with all the continuity mistakes and little goofs, not to mention a soundtrack lifted directly from another film and the mildly hokey acting you can hardly make that comparison. It's a very original, enjoyable movie, that's undeniable. But well made? Not really.
It's more the mood it puts into it. I've yet to see that sort of mood captured by another film, since.

ESPECIALLY
Spoiler:
When the hero is shot (ironically) by his would be rescuers.

Sure, a movie that was made almost fourty years ago isn't going to stand up to today's film-making standards, but by God it was an excellent movie nevertheless, especially when compared to junk like Cry_Wolf, and See No Evil (with Kane).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 05:38 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 04:38 PM #35 of 39
Sure, a movie that was made almost fourty years ago isn't going to stand up to today's film-making standards, but by God it was an excellent movie nevertheless, especially when compared to junk like Cry_Wolf, and See No Evil (with Kane).
If anything, I think it's much more comparable to the films you mentioned than anything else that's coming out these days. They're low budget horror movies that very few people like upon release. I'm not saying I like those movies, but somebody must. Who knows what people will think of those films in fourty years. Certainly nobody thought Night Of The Living Dead would have any shelf life in 1968.

And there are movies that old and older that would stand up to todays standards. NOTLD is a very amateurish production, compared to other films released at the same time. Romero's work never did anything for me on an emotional level. I don't identify with the helplessness of the characters.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 09:13 AM #36 of 39
Originally Posted by Foshi
"The Shining" is one of the best. Nicholson's performance was incredible. I also really like "Alien," and "Aliens." The one that scared the shit out of me when I was kid was "The Thing." That is pure freaky for a 12 year old kid and is still pretty good.
If you like Aliens, you will like The Descent as well!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 05:11 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 02:11 AM #37 of 39
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
If anything, I think it's much more comparable to the films you mentioned than anything else that's coming out these days. They're low budget horror movies that very few people like upon release. I'm not saying I like those movies, but somebody must. Who knows what people will think of those films in fourty years. Certainly nobody thought Night Of The Living Dead would have any shelf life in 1968.

And there are movies that old and older that would stand up to todays standards. NOTLD is a very amateurish production, compared to other films released at the same time. Romero's work never did anything for me on an emotional level. I don't identify with the helplessness of the characters.
Well, that's disappointing, because I thoroughly felt something for that movie. I don't know, maybe it's just my particular taste.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:12 AM #38 of 39
The Hour of the Wolf had some horrifying moments. As well as Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I would count Blair Witch Project among my favourites, if I didn't have such a hard time with the camerawork (yes I know it was intentional, I'm just really bad with the shaky effect because it gives me motion sickness).

I also finished A Tale of Two Sisters recently, which was enjoyable.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:41 AM #39 of 39
Originally Posted by kuttlas
I'm suprised no one has mentioned The Thing, considering its massive following. I originally saw it expecting a comic book action movie (because John Carpenter's name was on it) but even though it wasn't I was not disappointed. Plus it inspired (aka provided ripoff material for) Resident Evil 4, which is quite an accomplishment.
For a '80 movie, it was really great. A great classic. Especially for the fear of your fellow partner. CAN'T TRUST ANYBODY O_O That was so great and original.

I saw Gravedancers at Fantasia Festival in Montréal 2 weeks ago. That was great shit. You knew you'll jump..... it was just missing a 3-2-1-NOWYOUJUMP counter. It was funny.

FELIPE NO

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Favorite Horror Movie