Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

death of harry potter?

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 09:15 PM #1 of 39
death of harry potter?

Gee, did anyone watch the "death of harry potter" story on CBS evening show? Im on dial up and don't want to spend hours downloading the show, so what was it about (or post a link to where I can find a freakin description in cbs' site!)

Danke,

Jam it back in, in the dark.
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 11:20 PM #2 of 39
I didn't watch it, but it probably has something to do with Rowling announcing that two people will be dying in the next book.

Originally Posted by J.K. Rowling
The final chapter is hidden away although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," Rowling said.

"A price has to be paid, we are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras, do they? They go for the main characters -- well, I do."
Link

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:36 PM #3 of 39
For those who missed the story and want to see the video, here is a link to the videos (the death of Harry Potter should be the second video):

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...um=10&offset=0

Here is the text from the official CBS site:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...-SearchStories

I have read a few books in the past that actually did kill off the main character or one of the pivotal characters within the story, so I wouldn't put it pass her since it seems to be a recent trend.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:39 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 01:39 PM #4 of 39
Local newspaper here ran the story complete with quotes from internet forums on fans reaction. My favorite was one fan threatening to "cry for a year" if Harry was killed. Gee I hope she does it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:43 AM #5 of 39
My guess is it will be the weasley twins. Probably get themselves into more trouble than they intended, or something like that. Or maybe snape & ron. I can't think of any logical reasoning as to why that would be. Just call it a random senseless hunch.

How ya doing, buddy?

FGSFDS!!!
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:56 AM #6 of 39
I've only read up to book 5, but base on what I have read I'm still going with Harry and Voldermort finishing off one another. Maybe Snape or Hagrid end up meeting their demise as a secondary guess, but I don't know if Rowling would want to kill off Ron or Hermione since they seem to be fond of one another (according to Wiki, but they are not always accurate) and they could both give some of the most accurate portrayals of Harry Potter as a person. Then again, I've seen stranger things happen and she would probably want to surprise her audience and not make it as simple as the Potter/Voldermort draw.

I'll probably change my mind after reading books 5 and 6, but this is my current guess.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:00 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 02:00 PM #7 of 39
It's more that Harry Potter could be the most unlikeable lead in children's litinary history.

FELIPE NO
Talbain
Quilty as Charged

Member 19

Level 10.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 06:15 AM #8 of 39
The reason for it would be so that nobody could write a "Harry Potter" sequel after she was done with the series.

My guess is that it's not Harry, as that likely kills the series from continuing, no matter who writes it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 11:15 PM #9 of 39
Originally Posted by RABicle
It's more that Harry Potter could be the most unlikeable lead in children's litinary history.
Isn't that the truth. In fact, I'm kind of rooting for Harry to die. LOL. I actually lost interest in the series while reading the 5th book... so I'll probably just read the spoilers online and that's it. lol.

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 02:33 PM #10 of 39
Yeah I never botherd to pick up the 6th book because it was clear it was becoming a joke. It seems like it was always Rowling's intention to make Snape the evil villian, hence turning him into a murderor, yet somehow, lost in her amatuerish writing, he comes across as a hard working, fair man and Harry an ungrateful sticky little brat.

Everythin was always ::something bad happens:: "It's Snape it's Snape!" yells Harry, meahile Snape is saving orphans from a burning building.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:47 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 07:47 AM #11 of 39
Well I am pretty sure that he's gonna die. I mean, it's the last book and Rowling is like "hehehe it will be tragic" and stuff like that; fumo she said that she didn't want anyone to make profit by continuing the story in one way or another, so the perfect way to avoid this all would be Harry's death - it's easy as that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:53 AM #12 of 39
Maybe it will be Ron and Hermione. Wow, that would be a feel bad ending for the series. Smote the love of the odd couple...

Zephos
Syklis Green

Member 994

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 03:29 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 07:29 PM #13 of 39
Eh, that interview was nothing we hadn't heard her say before (I could swear she was getting frustrated with some of the questions, especially the one about the "dark" turn of the third book).

It's quite useless speculating on deaths when they're in the middle of a war. I'd be more interested in who survives.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 03:53 AM #14 of 39
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Hagrid dies. He's popular enough for it to have an impact upon readers and Hagrid is noble enough to make this plausible for his character. Hagrid's always been kind-hearted but somewhat bumbling. Having been expelled from Hogwarts as a youth and never truly being respected in the magician's community as would a full graduate, an act of martyrdom would seem an ideal way for Hagrid to redeem himself. And after Dumbledore's death and the fall of Snape, Hagrid has every reason to act without thought for his own safety.

Despite all the gossip, I don't foresee Harry dying, nor do I believe that Ron and/or Hermoine will be killed off either. While authors sometimes kill their protagonist, it is usually a monumentously poor idea to snuff out a character so popular as Harry, Ron or Hermoine. After concluding a seven-book series, it's almost imperative that an author bring satisfying closure to fans. Readers can accept the destruction of well-liked supporting characters and not become too vitriolic, as with Dumbledore, but remove any of the heroic troika and you're tempting riots.

Talk of the Potter series being carried on by a different author is just that: talk. There is currently no evidence to support that such a practice will occur. Rowling holds the legal rights to the usage of Harry Potter, the supporting cast, Hogwarts and every other fictitious location in her novels. For any spin-off series to be published, it would require Rowling's permission and all indications point to her unwillingness to allow that.

Hypothetically speaking, however, any new "Harry Potter" books would almost certainly focus upon a new set of heroes/heroines, either an established minor character from the book or a completely new one. Appearances by Harry would be religated to cameos at best. The universe would be the same but it would likely have a watered down, "seen it all before" feeling to it.

It'd be like the "Joey" spin-off from "Friends".

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:02 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 03:02 AM #15 of 39
I frankly wouldn't mind Harry dying. In fact, an interesting finish would be having Harry kill off "he which shall not be named" in go down in a blaze of glory.

Well, ok. A campfire of glory.

FELIPE NO
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:05 AM #16 of 39
Thank you. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that little bit of "ownership." Unless, of course, she decides to sell those rights..

*snicker*

Right. Harry Potter is a cash cow for the woman--she wouldn't lose the rights.

But, since I'm not a fan of Harry Potter (I've only seen the first movie)--WAS the Philospher's Stone REALLY destroyed as mentioned it would be in the movie. Or was it hidden again? The Stone is the only way Voldemort could do any damage to Harry.

Remember--Rowling said she wrote the last chapter in 1990 or so, and what if she got the idea of how to end the series while writing the first book?

"Hey. They're searching for the Philosopher's Stone. I think I may be able to use that in the last book. Yeah....I'll let people think it's been destroyed, then turn around and bring it back in the last book."

Because here's my question:

If the stone could have been destroyed--why didn't they do it in the first place, instead of just guarding the thing?!

WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:06 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 03:06 AM #17 of 39
I fully expect Snape to die assisting Harry. I still don't buy that he's one of Voldermort's.

- WraithTwo -

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:34 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 07:34 PM #18 of 39
Harry will KILL SNAPE out of revenge for Dumbledore and with his dying breath Snape will reveal that he loves Harry and harry will kill himself.

It'll be great.

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:03 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 06:03 AM #19 of 39
I think the 2 people will be harry's parents...

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:00 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 02:00 PM #20 of 39
Well given that Harry Potter's life so far has pretty much followed the plot of Star Wars (I'm still not convinced Voldemort isn't his dad), it means Voldemort (Darth Vader) and Yoda need to die. I'm not entirely sure who fits the Yoda bill though, probably Hagrid.

Maybe Rowling has realised that ripping off Star Wars is a little obvious, even for her target audience and she's decided to steal the end of FFX instead with Harry fading away into glowing blobs right at the end.

I don't know and frankly I don't really care too much. It would be nice to see her come up with an original idea somewhere in one of the books though. Maybe Harry should die and Voldemort could win. Also, I really want Neville to turn out to be the one that kills Voldemort and see Harry shunned by all his peers for being a self-important little turd.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:11 AM #21 of 39
Leknaat - The stone gets destroyed in the first book. Chapter 17, Dumbledore says "As for the stone, it has been destroyed."

There's another thing that irks me, why on earth was the US version of the book renamed to "The Sorceror's Stone"?

I need to get my sister in on this conversation lol. She's the harry potter nut of the family, I just read them. She LIVES them. Writes fanfic, collects anything and everything harry potter, I think once she might have even started making up an RP game with HP characters.

I was speaking idiomatically.

FGSFDS!!!

Last edited by DarkLink2135; Jun 28, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:13 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 10:13 AM #22 of 39
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
Leknaat - The stone get's destroyed in the first book.

There's another thing that irks me, why on earth was the US version of the book renamed to "The Sorceror's Stone"?
Clearly, it's because people in the United States are idiots who do not understand the word philosopher.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:15 AM #23 of 39
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Clearly, it's because people in the United States are idiots who do not understand the word philosopher.
I would not disagree with that.

FELIPE NO

FGSFDS!!!
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 10:55 AM #24 of 39
I'd love to see Ron and/or Hermione snuffed out by surprise just as they're about to confess their love for the other. Mostly to spite an ex-girlfriend of mine who was a digustingly huge H/R shipper (hey, at the end of the day I'm a simple creature), but also because it would pack a lot more punch than the previous death scenes in the series, one of which was more puzzling than depressing and the other of which was lackluster.

Oh, and if Hermy or Ron are killed off...I'm torn as to whether I'd want the other to die as well. I'm more a fan of "live a long, lonely, tortured life forever yearning for the one you lost" than I am of "together forever in peace." Still, it would be cool to see the other go for revenge and get swatted like a fly by Voldemort.

...Is it wrong that I'm thinking such cruel things about characters in a children's story?

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:12 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 12:12 PM #25 of 39
Well, Harry Potter novels are shaping into a more mature atmosphere. She wrote it with an evolving sort of atmosphere. Gets darker as it treks along. From how it's hinted? I'd say maybe a Ron-Hermione death. Or Harry's girlfriend maybe. Maybe Ron & Harry's gal die and Hermione & Harry end up together. Lord knows. We'll see though. People will bawl. And I will laugh ;D

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > death of harry potter?