Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What does your name mean?

J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:35 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:35 PM #51 of 82
Jesse (without the "i" for Christ's sake!) apperently means nothing.

The only famous Jesse is a country western hero who got shot, and some filler from the old testement. Lame

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:44 PM #52 of 82
Straight from Behindthename.com

Katherine
: From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (Hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.

I love etymology.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:47 PM #53 of 82
My names Scott, that comes from a surname that means Scotsman. Aparently the original use of scot means tattoo (lucky me!)

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 05:48 PM #54 of 82
Originally Posted by J-Man
The only famous Jesse is a country western hero who got shot, and some filler from the old testement. Lame
I'm pretty sure there are some more out there, you just have to look around. Jesse Owens comes to mind.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Watashi_Baka_Da
Banned

Member 5204

Level 6.34

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:53 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 05:53 PM #55 of 82
My name is Amy.
Derived from Old French aimée meaning "beloved".

FELIPE NO
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 06:10 PM #56 of 82
Luke

Usage: English, Biblical

From the Greek name Λουκας (Loukas) which meant "from Lucania". Lucania was a region in Italy. Saint Luke, the author of the third Gospel and Acts in the New Testament, was a doctor who travelled in the company of Saint Paul.

There you go.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:45 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:45 AM #57 of 82
Attached, Warrior/Man, and Handsome are what my names mean... They don't have my last name listed though it doesn't really suprise me as it is a rare name.

How ya doing, buddy?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Arienas
Halsey <3

Member 1626

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 07:16 PM #58 of 82
Jessica. Means "wealthy" and "God's gift", of which I'm neither.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:58 PM #59 of 82
My name, Jorge, means George. I already knew that. But what I didn't know was this.

I had to use George because Jorge had nothing other than, "it means George"

From the Greek name Γεωργιος (Georgios) which was derived from the Greek word γεωργος (georgos) meaning "farmer, earthworker", itself derived from the elements γη (ge) "earth" and εργον (ergon) "work". Saint George was a legendary dragon slayer who was supposedly martyred in Palestine. He is the patron saint of England, Portugal and Catalonia. This name has been borne by six kings of England, two kings of Greece, and the first president of the United States, George Washington. Other famous bearers include authors George Eliot and George Orwell (both pen names; real names Mary Anne Evans and Eric Arthur Blair respectively), composer George Frideric Handel, and Pacific explorer George Vancouver.

So, I'm a farmer?

How ya doing, buddy?

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Isha
bartender

Member 4708

Level 5.11

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:14 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:14 PM #60 of 82
Unfortunately my name actually is Isha.

Pronounsed: Ei-sh-a

I'm not sure where it came from, I attempted to look it up but my search turned up nothing. Lets just say for lack of a better term my mom was a flower child, a product of the 60's...I think that should explain enough -_-

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes!"
~Thoreau
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 04:30 AM #61 of 82
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
My last name is derived from a place.
To my knowledge there are well under 100 people with my last name... A place huh? My boss has a last name like that.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:29 AM #62 of 82
Originally Posted by Isha
Unfortunately my name actually is Isha.

Pronounsed: Ei-sh-a

I'm not sure where it came from, I attempted to look it up but my search turned up nothing. Lets just say for lack of a better term my mom was a flower child, a product of the 60's...I think that should explain enough -_-
In Islam, Yesus is pronounced "Isa". Maybe that's what your name derived from?

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:02 AM #63 of 82
Originally Posted by Magi
H(W)uang Shih-Yueh

I like how Chinese can find and match words together and create names for specific meaning. And if they get creative enough, you can come up with very unique names. I have never met another person with the same name as mine, for example.

Chinese names are usually put together in three different words. Your family name and two words that that would make up a specific meaning. They usually put family name first, and then follow by the two words that are making up the meaning.

I am not familiar with some of the phonetic rules when it comes to name though, however, at least in the last couple of generations, Fun Shui and certain type of Taoist fortune telling play a big part of the naming scheme of my family.

My name is the family name follow by a generational pattern and then my unique name. Basically, each generation there is usually one word picked out to put in the middle of the name, and the last word would derive its meaning from that word depending on the parents. For example, my father’s generation uses the word “Song” as the second word for their name, meaning “Oak”. My grandfather’s generation uses “Ling” in old Chinese meaning “a Hill”. In my generation, the word is “Shih”, meaning, the world, worldly, or big, depending on the word that come after. (Also, my generation is the first to have both male and female using the same second word, although there is only one female in the paternal lineage that follows this pattern. My sister’s name is an exception.

Huang, meaning Yellow, as in Yellow River is the family name.

Shih, meaning worldly, is a generational pattern of my name.

Yueh, old Chinese meaning a hill, mountains.

So in somewhat of a Native American fashion, my name is “The Great Yellow Mountain”.

Most people seem to have hard time pronounce my name correctly, even Chinese. More often then not, they’d prnounce my name as “shi-yueh”, meaning the “evening moon”. >.>

Edit: Oh yeah, not all Chinese named by generational pattern, just my family does it.
My, that was very interesting to read! What does your friends and family call you? Since I guess they don't go around and say "Huang Shih-Yueh" all the time

FELIPE NO
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:13 PM #64 of 82
My first name is Jesse, from the Hebrew word meaning "gift" according to behindthename.com. As for Chinese names, many times you'll have very similiar sounding names but because Chinese has so many letters that sound the same yet each carries a different meaning. My chinese name is Chen Si-Ran. Si comes from Si Van, meaning gentle, well mannered in the letters they are spelled with. Ran comes from Zi Ran, meaning natural. As for the Chen part I'm not quite sure what it really means, all I know that its my family's surname. So I guess my name would come out to be something like Naturally good mannered.

Most amazing jew boots
tsugaru7reveng
I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E

Member 4728

Level 6.69

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:13 PM #65 of 82
PHIL

Usage: English

Pronounced: FIL [key]
Short form of various names beginning with phil, often a Greek element meaning "friend, dear, beloved".

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bodomi
Perkele

Member 2202

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:27 AM #66 of 82
Quote:
MIKKO

Usage: Finnish
Finnish form of MICHAEL
Ok, so...
Quote:
MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul
From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:07 AM #67 of 82
Originally Posted by Syndrome
My, that was very interesting to read! What does your friends and family call you? Since I guess they don't go around and say "Huang Shih-Yueh" all the time
Depends on who you ask. "Ah-Yueh" is what my friend in Taiwan call me. My family call me Shih-Yueh (without the family name). Interestinglly, some of my friends at college actually call me Magi. Although that's mainly because I use it as my alias in the arcade machines. >.> Some of my friends in Taiwan call "shi-yeh" or "chu-chay". Those are kinda weird psundonoun version of my name. I wouldn't even venturing into defining them.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Magi; Apr 27, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
xuemin
Syklis Green

Member 248

Level 8.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:29 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:29 PM #68 of 82
english first name: Anita
meaning little graceful one, also nickname for Ann, Anna etc in spanish and apparently Finnish according to the Behind the Name website.

chinese name: xue min, liu
xue - most commonly means snow
min - intelligence or quickness, you get the idea
liu - family surname which i looked up and is said to mean kill or destroy >.>

for people who know cantonese: syut mun, lau

strangely, only me and my sister on my mum's side of the family don't have the generational naming applied to us, so people usually assume her name is also xue xxx. i suspect it's because of my dad since his family don't have the generational naming thing.

Isha
bartender

Member 4708

Level 5.11

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:47 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:47 AM #69 of 82
Originally Posted by eriol
In Islam, Yesus is pronounced "Isa". Maybe that's what your name derived from?
It may be, but I'm not of Islamic decent. Then again mom was never the logical type of person.

I was speaking idiomatically.
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes!"
~Thoreau
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:14 AM #70 of 82
1st name - David - Beloved
Middle name - Albert - Bright Royalty

Beloved AND Royalty? The fun never stops!

reflectiVe
R.I.P., J. Dilla. (Jay Dee)

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:59 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 05:59 PM #71 of 82
Turtle. Doesn't get much simpler than that. God I love nicknames.

user name...reflective. Some people around me said I had a "reflective" personality, something everyone can relate to.

FELIPE NO

This is message is dedicated to real Hip-hop
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:19 PM #72 of 82
Katherine = Pure, Virginal. Or torture, my consecration of your name, depending on the Greeks.

Most amazing jew boots
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:22 PM #73 of 82
My name is Justin which I think means, well, just and upright.

How ya doing, buddy?
Mercury Blue
Here kitty kitty...

Member 595

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:24 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:24 PM #74 of 82
Quote:
ASHLEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: ASH-lee [key]
From a surname which was originally derived from a place name which meant "ash tree clearing" in Old English.
But we all know "Ashley" really means "Awesome One" >D

Seriously. Nah, I have a lame first name, my hebrew name is a bit better.
Ashera which means happy/or blessed depending on who you ask.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

StarBeamAlpha
Rocket Smile

Member 5541

Level 4.50

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:57 PM #75 of 82
Jason

Jolly
Awesome
Super
Onion
Nemesis

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What does your name mean?