Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What does your name mean?

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:03 PM #26 of 82
My name, Elliott, means "Jehovah is God" or "my God is Yahweh". Something along those lines.

Which is awesome because I'm an atheist.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 12:04 PM #27 of 82
MILES

Usage: English

Pronounced: MIE-ulz [key]
The meaning of this name is not known for certain. It is possibly from Latin miles "soldier" or else from a pet form of MICHAEL. This name was introduced to Britain by the Normans.

HA! I am a mystery!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:05 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 09:05 AM #28 of 82
JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name is also used in Acts in the New Testament to translate the Hebrew name Joshua.

Having one of the most common names around I think I'm lucky to even have a backstory about my name. Though I am sure my parents named me after that whole greek story about Jason.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:24 PM #29 of 82
Originally Posted by Brent
I agree!
I didn't write it, man. Some idiot on the internet did, for shame.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 12:24 PM #30 of 82
I sure hope his name wasn't Danielle, then!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:25 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 01:25 PM #31 of 82
Quote:
RUSSELL
Pronounced: RUS-el
From a surname which meant "little red one" in French. A notable bearer of the surname was the agnostic British philosopher Bertrand Russell who wrote on many subjects including logic, epistemology and mathematics. He was also a political activist for causes such as pacifism and women's rights.
Yeah ok, whatever that means; so who wants to have my babies now?

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:31 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 01:31 PM #32 of 82
KAROLINE
{care-oh-LINE}
Usage: German, Danish, Norwegian
When spelled the French way (Caroline) it implies "Small and petite."
Which is why I take the Norwegian version that means "Strong and Womanly." Because I'm not French and I like Norwegian better, even though I think I have more German heritage. Either way, it gets spelled with a 'K.'

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:58 PM #33 of 82
James means "suplanter= one who uses anothers name"
and Lawrence which means Victorer and successer"

Most amazing jew boots
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 03:19 PM #34 of 82
Quote:
NATHAN

Usage: English, Biblical

Other Scripts: נָתָן (Hebrew)

Pronounced: NAY-than [key]
Means "giver" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of a prophet and also a son of King David. This name can also function as a short form of JONATHAN or NATHANAEL.
Too bad I'm not really a generous person. Well, then again, I do most of the work during group projects, so... perhaps I am. I'm a giver of good grades to the undeserving.

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 03:38 PM #35 of 82
Grace:

The girl's name Grace is pronounced grayce. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "favor; blessing." A virtue name referring to God's grace. Greek mythology: the Three Graces were goddesses of nature: Aglaia (brillance), Thalia (flowering), and Euphrosyne (joy). Actress and princess Grace Kelly; singer Grace Jones; choreographer Graciela Daniele.

My_Lo
Meh

Member 1649

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:26 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 10:26 PM #36 of 82
Christophe was the guy who carried the young-Jesus christ over a river... It's then the saint of the travellers...

"No one needs to know..."
XerxesTheMighty
Weapon X

Member 105

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 02:29 PM #37 of 82
Ross
Usage: Scottish, English
Pronounced: RAWS
From a surname which meant "promontory" in Gaelic, originally belonging to someone who lived on a headland.

Headland: A high ridge of land or rock jutting out into a body of water.

SO SAY WE ALL
Rachelle
Syklis Green

Member 2670

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:43 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:43 AM #38 of 82
Yung Yung. No idea what it means, but an online dictionary says rong (yung is a dialect version of pronunciation) means lotus :S .

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:47 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 02:47 PM #39 of 82
Sophia, greek for wisdom. It was in a book where my parents randomly picked baby names. Also I've had several teachers tell me over the years asking me if I knew it meant wisdom as though it was a big deal that they even knew

FELIPE NO
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:58 PM #40 of 82
HAVEN

Pretty self explanatory. The only thing behindthename.com has to add that I probably would not have otherwise remembered is that it's of English origin. I'll go with what the site has to say about my middle name (also my username) too.
Quote:
JOSIAH

Usage: Biblical, English

Other Scripts: יֹאשִׁיָהוּ (Hebrew)

Pronounced: jo-SIE-a

Means "YAHWEH supports" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of a king of Judah famous for his religious reforms. He was killed fighting the Egyptians at Megiddo.
That I pretty much knew already as well. It's assuring to me to know that's what it means, too.

Most amazing jew boots

Terra
Imp

Member 26

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:04 PM #41 of 82
Quote:
ANDRÁS

Usage: Hungarian

Hungarian form of ANDREW.
Okay.

Quote:
ANDREW

Usage: English, Biblical

From the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, and Greece. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.
Well, I do have a dad...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:15 PM #42 of 82
Justin.

Derived from Latin, it supposedly means "true, just, or righteous" and comes from the name Justus. Check that out, I didn't even know that.

Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:39 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:39 PM #43 of 82
Real meanings:

Usage: English, Spanish, Romanian, Ancient Roman

Pronounced: vik-TOR-ee-a [key]

Feminine form of VICTORIUS. This name was borne by a long-reigning queen of England. A Canadian city bears this name in her honour, as well as an Australian state and several other geographic areas. In Roman Mythology it Means "victory" in Latin. Victoria was the Roman goddess of victory.

Personal meaning: I was the only baby that didn't miscarage, so my mom named me Victoria because of that (using the mean's victory meaning). But unfortunatly I'm doomed to have everyone call me Vicki because of my name...I mean I like my name but I just got to say, why does everyone think Victoria automadicly shortens to Vicki for gosh sakes ....

Nickname: Tori
Shortened form of Victoria
Name I usualy go by (NOT VICKI, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!)
I just thought I toss that up there. One time we went to eat out at a Japanese restraunt. The manager was there greating everybody. He asked my name and I said Tori. And he just said "Ah....that's a good name. Do you know it means Bird?" The name (Other then being Bird in Japanese and being a short form of Victoria) doesn't have any other meaning.

Names that could have been:

Austin (If I were a boy)
Screw all the other meanings, my dad just wanted to name me after his freaking favorite car! (He liked Austin Heleies) Heck...I still think my dad wanted to name me that after I came out a girl.....

Zoe
Because my mom thought it was cool.....And they liked baby blues.....

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:59 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:59 PM #44 of 82
DEVIN

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: DEV-in [key]

From an Anglicized Irish surname derived from either of the Irish surnames Ó Damháin (which means "descendent of Damhán") or Ó Dubháin (which means "descendent of Dubhán"). The given name Damhán means "fawn"; the given name Dubhán means "little black one".

I am black, but I'm certainly not little. Of course, I don't think it means black in respect to race.

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:02 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:02 PM #45 of 82
ROBERT
Usage: English, French, Scandinavian, Czech, Polish, Russian, Slovene, Romanian
Other Scripts: Роберт (Russian)

Pronounced: RAH-burt (English), ro-BER (French)
Means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of Scotland from England in the 14th century. The author Robert Browning and poets Robert Burns and Robert Frost are famous literary bearers of this name. Also, Robert E. Lee was the commander of the Confederate army during the American Civil War.

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:02 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:02 PM #46 of 82
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Feminine form of VICTORIUS. This name was borne by a long-reigning queen of England. A Canadian city bears this name in her honour, as well as an Australian state and several other geographic areas. In Roman Mythology it Means "victory" in Latin. Victoria was the Roman goddess of victory.
Interesting. My mother's name is Victoria as well, and she naturally shortens it to "Vicki." Her only bone of contention with the shortened form is that most people try to spell it with an 'e' on the end.

I never think about Tori being a shortened version of Victoria. It reminds me of how Topher Grace shortens his name to the '-topher' instead of 'chris-.'

For my nickname, Karli means "Covered in Snow" in Polish. I used to think this was a bit ironic, since when I was younger I had a problem with dandruff ...

Most amazing jew boots
Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:22 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:22 PM #47 of 82
Juan
Usage: Spanish (that I know of at least)
pronunciation: for english talkers I guess it would be something like Hu-an for you.

I am not completely sure about this... I heard once it comes from an hebrew word "Yohanam" wich means "God is Compassionate" it is also used to translate names like "John" or "Joan" into spanish when they take the liberty to do that.

Most amazing jew boots
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:24 PM #48 of 82
TRAVIS

Pronounced: TRA-vis [key]
Derived from Old French traverse meaning "to cross". From a surname which originally denoted someone who collected tolls from people crossing a bridge.

Yeah, I have an uninteresting backstory. Though I like to say that my parents named me after Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:33 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:33 PM #49 of 82
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
Interesting. My mother's name is Victoria as well, and she naturally shortens it to "Vicki." Her only bone of contention with the shortened form is that most people try to spell it with an 'e' on the end.

I never think about Tori being a shortened version of Victoria. It reminds me of how Topher Grace shortens his name to the '-topher' instead of 'chris-.'

For my nickname, Karli means "Covered in Snow" in Polish. I used to think this was a bit ironic, since when I was younger I had a problem with dandruff ...
I get the misspelled name treatment aswell. People spell my name 'Tory' no matter how many times I say it's spelled with an 'i' people spell it with a 'y' each time....Tory is only second to Vicki on the annoyance scale. I don't know why they annoy me so much...they just have ever since Pre-school....I mean I have nothing against the names themselves, but I just don't like to be called them for some reason. My mom used to joke about how in the Animaniacs Dot said "Call me Dotty and you die..." She always said "Yep, that sounds like you alright." of corse reffering to the Vicki/Tori thing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:35 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:35 PM #50 of 82
H(W)uang Shih-Yueh

I like how Chinese can find and match words together and create names for specific meaning. And if they get creative enough, you can come up with very unique names. I have never met another person with the same name as mine, for example.

Chinese names are usually put together in three different words. Your family name and two words that that would make up a specific meaning. They usually put family name first, and then follow by the two words that are making up the meaning.

I am not familiar with some of the phonetic rules when it comes to name though, however, at least in the last couple of generations, Fun Shui and certain type of Taoist fortune telling play a big part of the naming scheme of my family.

My name is the family name follow by a generational pattern and then my unique name. Basically, each generation there is usually one word picked out to put in the middle of the name, and the last word would derive its meaning from that word depending on the parents. For example, my father’s generation uses the word “Song” as the second word for their name, meaning “Oak”. My grandfather’s generation uses “Ling” in old Chinese meaning “a Hill”. In my generation, the word is “Shih”, meaning, the world, worldly, or big, depending on the word that come after. (Also, my generation is the first to have both male and female using the same second word, although there is only one female in the paternal lineage that follows this pattern. My sister’s name is an exception.

Huang, meaning Yellow, as in Yellow River is the family name.

Shih, meaning worldly, is a generational pattern of my name.

Yueh, old Chinese meaning a hill, mountains.

So in somewhat of a Native American fashion, my name is “The Great Yellow Mountain”.

Most people seem to have hard time pronounce my name correctly, even Chinese. More often then not, they’d prnounce my name as “shi-yueh”, meaning the “evening moon”. >.>

Edit: Oh yeah, not all Chinese named by generational pattern, just my family does it.

Last edited by Magi; Apr 26, 2006 at 03:45 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What does your name mean?