Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Proper English
Closed Thread

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 02:50 AM #26 of 64
I am also lucky to not associate with many people that type like that.
Actually, I don't think I have ever conversed with anyone nearly that bad.

I myself use "lol" regularly. Perhaps I shouldn't. *shrugs*
Also, when I am chatting with a specific person, I will occasionally tyPe with raNdomLy caPiTalized letters, just because it annoys her so much. But all in good fun.

I am also prone to use some of the basic acronyms like "brb" or "gtg," etc.
But that is the extent of my crimes.

Most amazing jew boots
Goggles
#1 Fan of Ayane and Eternal Worshipper

Member 3557

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 12:57 AM #27 of 64
I usually just humor them and continue to write grammatically correct though I am a fast typer so I can write with proper grammar and spelling typically better than they can without.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:22 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:22 PM #28 of 64
Using abbreviations such as lol, brb and gtg is fine, it's not really what I was referring to when I brought this topic up. It has a certain relevance to this, but the example I posted was a rather extreme case of bad spelling & grammar, in which case brb, gtg and lol kind of fall out of the frame.

What I would like to hear though is a plausible explanation as to why he wrote 'u iz'. The more theories the merrier. Keep in mind that this guy most definitely is from the UK, making this even more interesting.

Personally, I think he's just stupid. Or he's been watching Ali G way too much.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:03 PM #29 of 64
I always try my best to write correctly. There is the occasional typo, but that's to be expected. If someone I know is not following proper grammatical or spelling guidelines, I don't correct them until I can't understand them. Most of what is typed is abbreviation or shorthand and easily understandable.

Most amazing jew boots
AlogiA
Βλέπω κάτι όνειρα...

Member 1866

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 10:14 PM #30 of 64
I'm also trying my best, but the reason why sometimes my English is so crappy is the fact, that I'm learning it from a German school.:ashamed:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
typ44
Syklis Green

Member 504

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 03:58 PM #31 of 64
I feel sorry for people who type uppercase and lowercase letters alternately. I think its more of a struggle for them to type than for us to read.

I still don't know how people can't tell the difference between loose and lose. Such loosers!

FELIPE NO
Agent Olive
Desert Rose

Member 249

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:10 PM #32 of 64
Funny stuff. I have a lot of friends who type like that, one of them even said "That's how you're supposed to talk online!"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bean

Member 81

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 12:24 AM #33 of 64
I like how if he really was Scottish, you wouldnt be able to understand a word the kid typed.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:19 PM #34 of 64
I've always figured that the easiest thing is to type how you think. I think in complete sentences, so this is how it comes out on the screen. Surely, there aren't people in the world who ThInK LyK dIZ OMG WTF PLZ !!!!1!one

Why are they still alive? ;_;

How ya doing, buddy?
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:21 PM #35 of 64
I wish my grammer/English was better. I have a poor vocabulary, and terrible spelling. At least it's better than nothing.

WeimarK
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3653

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:57 PM #36 of 64
mm, I have some issues trying to write in english, and that's due that I'm not a native english speaker , So If I do something wrong, let me know. I don't wanna be on that kind of people.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:18 PM #37 of 64
Killy, you're good to have sat there and attempted to understand all that garbage. I have no patience for that sort of thing. If someone makes random typos, that's fine, but every other word can't be a purposeful typo! That's just plain ridiculous! People who talk like that are lazy. Obviously they had to learn to type correctly before doing that shorthand crap.

Most amazing jew boots
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 08:41 PM #38 of 64
My friend grades English papers at the university we attend. He keeps a list of his favorites grammatical gems to pull out on occasion. You would think that college students at the very least would have learned to form complete sentances by the time they are seniors.

Nope.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 06:33 PM #39 of 64
What the hell @ that conversation. It sounds like a pissed off childish australian.

I use proper grammar mostly, depending on what mood I'm in. It never gets to the point where people can't understand me, but I fucking hate people who immediately are all "What?" "Huh?" when you make ONE mistake.

FELIPE NO
GrimReaper
Bringer of Death

Member 880

Level 21.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:53 AM #40 of 64
Since we're on the topic of English, when do you use "anyone" and when do you use "anybody?" Is it a matter of preference?

Death To You!!!
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:05 AM #41 of 64
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Since we're on the topic of English, when do you use "anyone" and when do you use "anybody?" Is it a matter of preference?
It's a matter of preference. I think that "anybody" is just a more casual (bordering on slang) way of saying "anyone," but at any rate, the terms are interchangeable.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aoie_Emesai
Bananas gives K(potassium)

Member 1160

Level 5.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:57 AM #42 of 64
Originally Posted by Rydia
When I was in middle school, I had a few friends who used to type like that. They also wrote in both upper and lower case letters for every other letter of a word. It was a struggle to read through it all.

These days, I might use "lol," but not so much.
That horrible way of typing on the internet is by far the worst crap to have ever been used in all of the history of the internet. Who can read that crap when everything is like this "HaViNg UpPeRcAsE aNd LoWeRcAsE lEtTeR iS sO fRaCkInG hArD tO rEaD" as you all can see.

Originally Posted by Fjordor
I am also lucky to not associate with many people that type like that.
Actually, I don't think I have ever conversed with anyone nearly that bad.

I myself use "lol" regularly. Perhaps I shouldn't. *shrugs*
Also, when I am chatting with a specific person, I will occasionally tyPe with raNdomLy caPiTalized letters, just because it annoys her so much. But all in good fun.

I am also prone to use some of the basic acronyms like "brb" or "gtg," etc.
But that is the extent of my crimes.
As Fjordor said, it's alright to use acryonyms such as "brb" and "lol". But as everything goes, there's differnt lingos for everything different field of study in the world.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; Mar 23, 2006 at 08:59 AM.
EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 03:07 PM #43 of 64
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
I think it comes from too much cell phone texting where you pay for the letter. That really sped the butchering process up.
In a sense, it wasn't being lazy, but trying to be creative in saving a buck that spawned the fad. Just sad really.
Very true. What's even sadder is that when non-english speaking people get their english-texting skills from people who 'txt lyk dis 2 dem' they actually think it's the correct way to write a sentence. The proof is in their papers and they don't even know it's not grammatically correct until they get it back with a red note saying, cum is spelled come, etc.

My advice is to stay away from people who don't put in any effort to use a language in its true and beautiful form. It may influence you little by little and before you know it, you're not only writing it badly but speaking text language as well.

shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 01:23 AM #44 of 64
Originally Posted by EmpyreanHorizon
Very true. What's even sadder is that when non-english speaking people get their english-texting skills from people who 'txt lyk dis 2 dem' they actually think it's the correct way to write a sentence. The proof is in their papers and they don't even know it's not grammatically correct until they get it back with a red note saying, cum is spelled come, etc.

My advice is to stay away from people who don't put in any effort to use a language in its true and beautiful form. It may influence you little by little and before you know it, you're not only writing it badly but speaking text language as well.
Damn man, better leave GFF then! *runs*
In all seriousness though, properly typing, writing, and speaking English needs to be practiced just as much as a sport or an instrument.
I have noticed myself downgrading my vocabulary while speaking at times since I've joined all of these forums.
This is the only forum that really requires me to type out complete sentences. Otherwise I'd get flamed, ignored, or disregarded faster than I could type 1337!
Of course, that's why I post here more often than, oh, say Nintendo Forums or GameFAQs.

How ya doing, buddy?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:10 AM #45 of 64
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
"Anyone" is usually followed by the singular pronoun phrase "his or her."
"Anybody" is usually followed by the plural pronoun "their."

I was speaking idiomatically.
zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:26 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 02:26 PM #46 of 64
english

i think stewie from family guy put it quite well when he said:

'you don't neccessarily speak the language more like chew it up and spit it out!'

but the text typing does my head in, but most of the time as long as i can understand it and i know that it's english then i'm fine. it's when it starts looking like spanish or something and it's supposed to be english that i start to worry about the state of humanity:lolsign:

Last edited by zander; Mar 24, 2006 at 08:33 AM.
EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:08 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 12:08 AM #47 of 64
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
Damn man, better leave GFF then! *runs*
Nah, don't do that. Killy got it worse. I had to read the damn conversation out loud, for heaven's sake.

I'll have to admit that I'm guilty of butchering english but at the right circumstances--my msn friends' typing skills exceed my own so I have to shorten words just to keep up. Also it's cheaper here if I send a text message (instead of calling) so I have to really make do with what I have.

Ever have this type of conversation: Нěy, mëë+ üp @ $+aŕ3Uk$ 1ā+ër

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:27 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 05:27 AM #48 of 64
Quote:
Ever have this type of conversation: Нěy, mëë+ üp @ $+aŕ3Uk$ 1ā+ër
That conversation would be awesome, if only it didn't take 10 minutes per message from all the ascii codes splashed in there.

Can I just point out that acronyms aren't fine? You're not going to stop people using "brb" "rofl" "lol" "kthx" as it's globally recognized now on texting and online, and there's an endless amount of acronym's like IIRC and AFAIK which are rarely used; but still seem to exist for oh god I don't know why. And the rest of that destructive garbage somehow manages to spring from nowhere.

Why, I remember when nobody knew what "sry" was. Then suddenly, on a cold and windy night in 2003, everyone's doing it. But it isn't difficult to type "hahaha" over "lol" or "rofl," people just have the attitude that it's the internet, so it doesn't matter. Who the fuck worries over grammar online, most of them think. While that's pretty much true, it depends on what you're doing.

I'm pretty much of a grammar nazi myself. Christ, when I played Ragnarok Online the amount of people who said "plz" was uncalled for. That is by far one of the most annoying acronym's I've ever encountered. It's even worse when you have foreigners use it, where you just know that they haven't the slightest clue what it means, but it gets you a heal. Follow the crowd.

The only time I feel it necessary to talk in short hand is during games. Take Starcraft. You're being zerg rushed. You're going to type wtf, not what the fuck. Times like those are perfectly appropriate as the game has a higher priority over your representation of spelling. Other times it's just annoying.

Lowercase is fine too, but a lowercase "I" just doesn't fit. Alot of people really couldn't care less about their typing, and that probably won't change. Regardless, it's one thing to describe yourself in a proper form, it's another to ruin it and continue describing.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:41 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 06:41 PM #49 of 64
Originally Posted by Elixir
Alot of people really couldn't care less about their typing
Alittle

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:35 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 02:35 AM #50 of 64
That conversation would be awesome, if only it didn't take 10 minutes per message from all the ascii codes splashed in there.
People here text at the speed of, well, they just text really fast. They have speed texting competitions and the like. (Yes, I know, weird.)

Lowercase is fine too, but a lowercase "I" just doesn't fit. Alot of people really couldn't care less about their typing, and that probably won't change.
I know people who still think Word's spellcheck is 100% reliable. Perhaps it's not that they don't care but maybe they depend too much on the grammar nanny to fix their mistakes for them.... What do you think? =P

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Proper English