Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Too soon for holiday prep?
Yes 39 69.64%
No 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Is it too soon for the holiday sales, commercials and decorations?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:12 AM #1 of 39
Is it too soon for the holiday sales, commercials and decorations?

I was in my mall within the last week and the mall was already festive. Santa Claus began making appearances on the 11th. I remember the days when Christmas didn't exist until the week of Thanksgiving. I am irked with this hastening of the holiday selling season, even if retailers need to find ways to stretch their margins, et. al. But part of the fun of the holidays is that it comes around once a year and it is special; it doesn't need to be a 8 week long affair. What say you?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:20 AM #2 of 39
I can say that they've successfully brainwashed me. I've been listening to Christmas music for about a week now (and I guarantee I'll be sick of it by Christmas), I'm worried about shopping, and I'm jumping the gun on pretty much everything Christmas.

I hate that they rush the season. It's still 50 out here, and it's ridiculous to think about Christmas when it hasn't even hit Turkey Day yet.

After Black Friday, though - I'm game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:31 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 10:31 AM #3 of 39
I was kind of shocked upon seeing Santa Claus at the mall the other day. Used to be that they at least let you have Thanksgiving. Now they're cramming holdiday sales down our throats right after Halloween. Its more than a little sad if you ask me, but what can ya do? =\

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:44 AM #4 of 39
I personally find it annoying. It means I can't go to the mall without having to push myself through crowds of people for two months. I mean, it's November. I wish there was some kind of a big holiday in November that could place a wall for the early Christmas decorations and merchandises.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Phoque le PQ
Présentement en ligne

Member 1886

Level 9.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:54 AM #5 of 39
Christmas... the peek of rotten capitalism. Just about every major (christian) feasts have become commercial: x-mas, easter, st.valentine...

And yes, decorations have come too early. Heard on november first, on the radio: "It's time to put away your pumpkins and to make your gifts list". No kdding

I was speaking idiomatically.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 09:47 AM #6 of 39
They've already started playing Christmas music on the radio. In November.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:09 PM #7 of 39
Not entirely in defense of the season, but I know that if I don't make my lists and get shopping done early, I won't have enough money for everyone.

I sincerely have to spread everything out in order to be able to afford everything I have to buy for my people.

I think th industry knows this about people and tries to cash in on it. ;_;

FELIPE NO
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:18 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 11:18 AM #8 of 39
I love Christmas. Christmas has always been a big thing in my family for the longest time. So ofcourse I'm going to be really into it too.

But the way Christmas has been pushed earlier and earlier every year has to stop. It is the only holiday now that pushes itself onto other holidays. First it was Thanksgiving and now it's Halloween as well. Yeah, they had Christmas stuff up in OCTOBER, before Halloween.

It really annoys the hell out of me. I miss the days of old Christmas when you didn't see a hint of it untill Thanksgiving day. When they would have Santa come by in a parade at the very end. Then the Christmas stuff would start going up that week after Thanksgiving.

But no, it's gotta start as early as possible so stores and companies can make their holiday profits as early as possible. I just try to avoid any stores that have Christmas stuff up too early. I'm just glad that for my family and neighbors Christmas doesn't start untill after Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by Capo
They've already started playing Christmas music on the radio. In November.
Wow am I glad the radio stations here in San Diego are too cheap to play any Christmas music untill 1 week before Christmas. D:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:26 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 07:26 PM #9 of 39
I can't complain that the only period of time when The Pogues' A Fairy Tale in New York is allowed to be played is steadily swallowing up more and more of the year, every year. It also means I can break out the Xmas NiGHTS earlier.

Most amazing jew boots
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:09 PM #10 of 39
There is a house close to work that has its xmas lights on. Where I come from you do not see a single light lit until about 3-5 days before xmas eve.

Most amazing jew boots
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:31 PM #11 of 39
It's not too early to start shopping, but it's definitely too early to start having Santa in the mall and going whole-hog into the decorations. Waaaay too early.

Can we at least wait until Thanksgiving? Maybe?

Most amazing jew boots
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:36 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:36 PM #12 of 39
Too soon, I think - and yet being the kind of person who knows I'll procrastinate until it's too late, I tend to try to get my Christmas shopping done early. So if they're already having amazing holiday sales, I'm game. Bring on early Christmas festivity, so long as I save money.

Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:52 PM #13 of 39
I'll be making a number of gifts this year to save on some money, so I won't have to deal too much with the holiday shopping craze.

That being said, what the hell happened to the mad shopping rushses and sales starting on Black Friday?? Holiday stuff is already up, sales are already on, and the shopping malls are already jammed packed every day (forget about even going near that area on a weekend). It used to be that the day after Thanksgiving was the official start of the shopping season, but this year its come early. Makes going out anywhere a pain in the ass.

---
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 10:25 PM #14 of 39
From a recent journal entry:

Quote:
Christmas has come early..
... or at least that's what it feels like.

I was in town on my lunch today , and I saw that just about all of the shops had their Christmas decorations up, even the local Council have been out and put up the decorations on the main high street. Now I know that Christmas is something like 7 weeks away, but to me this is a little too early to be getting the decorations out. I like Christmas just as much as the next person, but do we really need the decorations out this early? Another week or two wouldn't do any harm.

Also, I walked into a shop with my headphones in, and didn't realize that they were playing Christmas music, it was only when the current song of mine had finished that I could hear the Christmas music. When I heard this I made a quick exit from the shop. It is far too early for this sort of thing to be going on. In the weeks running up to Christmas would be more ideal.
And I've not even thought about doing any Christmas shopping yet.

So yeah, I think that it is definitely way too early for the decorations, and music to be coming out.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:14 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:14 PM #15 of 39
I don't know about the rest of you, but for a few years now I have noticed seeing shops in my area start their Christmas sales starting anywhere between late September to early November. So, no, it's actually late starting from the looks of it. Luckily this year, it hasn't been so bad so far, but still...

FELIPE NO
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 10:22 PM #16 of 39
I don't really mind about them starting early-october christmas festivities. It gives me more incentive to start buying presents now while I have ideas and money. Although you do start to think "why god why, it's not even been Halloween yet!", and yes, there is a limit to how many times you can listen to christmas songs.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 04:43 PM #17 of 39
Philippines has holiday preps by late September so I don't see this as surprising.

But seriously though, it irks me out that the holidays should start out THIS early even.

mindOverMatter
CLfAM

Member 14418

Level 8.57

Oct 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:05 PM #18 of 39
I was walking into Walgreens yesterday, and there were the "holiday" collections. I don't really mind it, but I do think it's a bit early

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hold on just one second....when I signed up for life, this was not what I was expecting. Can I get a refund?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:21 PM #19 of 39
You know it's bad that the day after Halloween, all of the decorations are replaced with Christmas decorations in malls and stores.

Personally, I love the holiday season, but... November 1st is a little early.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 07:44 PM #20 of 39
I have gotten so used to November 1st being the first day of everything being Christmas that I don't think its to early for it. Its a very festive season, might as well get it started as early as possible.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 11:21 AM #21 of 39
Ugh, yeah, I was in the shops the other day and they were drilling Christmas music into my head. You can't escape that, not even in the toilets! They're even selling the bloody gigantic Christmas chocolates, hey look the packaging has Santa on it that makes it Christmas chocolates! IT'S FUCKING SUMMER. Who's gonna buy those now? "Sure hope the kids don't find these stored in the fridge for a month!"

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:04 PM #22 of 39
I say let the business be a business. If people in general were truly irked about the decorations and music playing, then the businesses would see a drop in sales of that merchandise.

All that matters is that the people close to me do things the way they should be, in my eyes. Every year is a joy simply because of my family. Stores can't make me unhappy, and an early holiday season can't make me unhappy. All I care about is 24 hour Christmas Story on TBS on the Eve. If that ever changes, I'll be sad then

Returned
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:32 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 08:32 PM #23 of 39
My family's the kind of family that's all about the Christmas season. We start as soon as we can.

Last year Christmas seemed kinda like a second thought everywhere. I don't even remember it at vividly as other christmas seasons. This year i'm very happy to see there's no lack of build to christmas.

FELIPE NO
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:54 PM #24 of 39
Ever since I can remember, my mom emphasized how important it is to shop for Christmas all year. So, in my mind, it's never too early to prepare for the holidays. Still, I always feel bad for Thanksgiving.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:22 PM #25 of 39
I'm not much of a shopper, and my family doesn't do any sort of Christmas decorations or anything. But for some reason the commercials, decorations, and music (in VERY small doses) always cheer me up a bit for however long they're around for.

I think it's fine if it all starts in mid-to-late November, but seeing Christmas stuff in stores in October is completely ridiculous.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Is it too soon for the holiday sales, commercials and decorations?