Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:56 PM #101 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Absolutely a good call on the Metallica, but I question the Slayer. Slayer is one of the few thrash outfits that have stuck to their guns all these years. I don't think they've weakened in the slightest. Along with Motörhead, they are easily the most reliable band in metal. You always know what you're going to get when you pick up their new album.
What. The. Fuck.

You're not serious, are you? There is no way anyone can say such a blatant lie with a straight face.

...Wait, I get it. You're stuck in a timewarp? Well, we're in 2005, not 1990.

I was speaking idiomatically.
S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:40 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 08:40 PM #102 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Well, we're in 2005, not 1990.
2006, maybe, anyone? lol...It's already March for crying out loud...:eyebrow:

Double Post:
Anyone up for some Phlogiston?

Phlogiston - FruktSirkel

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds

Last edited by S?ecter; Mar 8, 2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:43 PM #103 of 1376
Phlogiston reminded me of Berserker with it's heavy use of synth drums. Meh. Very...meh.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:25 PM #104 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Phlogiston reminded me of Berserker with it's heavy use of synth drums. Meh. Very...meh.
"Meh" isn't surprising after seeing the album cover.

Who are these guys anyway?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 11:58 AM #105 of 1376
Some unsigned shitty band, of which I found their whole free CD online, they suck, but were free, so I figuered I'd chuck some out there...lol...I should have apologized in advance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:23 AM #106 of 1376
Any of Behemoth's older releases worth getting? I have Zos Kia Cultus and Demigod and love them immensly. I also enjoy symphonic black metal like Emperor and Abigor. Are Behemoth's early albums like that or more raw Darkthrone black metal?

How ya doing, buddy?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:18 AM #107 of 1376
If you like the last two Behemoth, get Thelema.6. Great stuff in the same vein. And "Christian to the Lions" is a classic.

Originally Posted by S?ecter
2006, maybe, anyone? lol...It's already March for crying out loud...:eyebrow:
Bahahahaha. :doh: I usually take around 4-5 months to realize we changed year.

Still, the guy's far crazier than I. His comments about Slayer are seriously disturbing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:58 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:58 PM #108 of 1376
This might sound like sacralidge(sp?) but I've never been a huge Slayer fan actually, I mean I'd listen to them if I had too, but there are many bands I'd rather listen to...

For the System of a Down fans out there:

Can you believe that Lonely Day is the latest single off of Hypnotize? I would have thought it would have been something like Tentative or Stealing Society, but I never saw that one coming...Oh well, I guess they want to show their softer side to the public everyonce and a while...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:38 AM #109 of 1376
Quote:
Can you believe that Lonely Day is the latest single off of Hypnotize? I would have thought it would have been something like Tentative or Stealing Society, but I never saw that one coming...Oh well, I guess they want to show their softer side to the public everyonce and a while...
That surprised me a bit when I heard about it a few days ago. Lonely Day is considered one of their worst songs off of that album by most of the fans for poor lyrics. I really enjoyed it and listened to it probably the most out of any other song, rather than the pie song (title escapes me).

Either way, I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I bought Dream Theater- Train of Thought, and that cd amazes me. That is probably the best cd I have bought since Once by Nightwish.

S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:31 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:31 PM #110 of 1376
Originally Posted by Living Legend
That surprised me a bit when I heard about it a few days ago. Lonely Day is considered one of their worst songs off of that album by most of the fans for poor lyrics. I really enjoyed it and listened to it probably the most out of any other song, rather than the pie song (title escapes me).
I agree with "most of their fans", the lyrics weren't great, and the song in general wasn't very enjoyable...

The "pie" song is Vicinity of Obsenity, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that the "terracotta pie" is referring to a certain part of the female reproductive system. The "banana" being the male reproductive organ.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:47 PM #111 of 1376
I dislike Lonely Day more and more over time. The solo in it is really cool, but yeah.. the lyrics suck, even by System of a Down standards.

FELIPE NO
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 07:03 PM #112 of 1376
Hey, what's that supposed to mean, there are some very good lyrics in SOAD songs, sure there's some "bad apples", but don't write off all their stuff. Admittedly their newer stuff has been getting worse, but look at some of their older stuff off of Toxicity or Steal This Album.

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:07 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 07:07 PM #113 of 1376
Eh, I like System of a Down, but they've never had the best lyrics. I think Soldier Side has some of the best lyrics they've ever written, however.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:22 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:22 PM #114 of 1376
Their first album had their strongest work, both musically and lyrically. Back when "Spiders" was as light as they got.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:54 PM #115 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Their first album had their strongest work, both musically and lyrically. Back when "Spiders" was as light as they got.
I completely agree, Steal This Album is the cut off point for me when it comes to SOAD, tried hard to like mesmerize and hypnotize but the only new song i like is Cigaro.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:54 PM #116 of 1376
Yeah, I appreciate the harder stuff, though I don't know if you heard songs such as Highway Song or Roulette off of Steal This Album, those aren't as hard, but still have a distinct charm.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:12 AM #117 of 1376
Acoustic guitars is what turned most of metal bands into shit.

S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:18 AM #118 of 1376
I disagree, I think metal bands should be able to dabble in other types of music, just like any other band of any genre, I like bands who mix it up a bit genre-wise. Like I said before, I appreciate the harder stuff from SOAD more than some of their newer, shittier soft stuff, but I can appreciate some acoustic from time to time, especially when it's done well.

Most amazing jew boots

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:32 AM #119 of 1376
metal got it's genre name for being heavy and not some pussy ass gay acoustic crap. I like acoustic work as much as anyone else, but i don't like it when acoustic guitars venture into metal songs, the two things contradict each other.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:26 AM #120 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
metal got it's genre name for being heavy and not some pussy ass gay acoustic crap. I like acoustic work as much as anyone else, but i don't like it when acoustic guitars venture into metal songs, the two things contradict each other.

I seriously disagree with the 'pussy ass gay acoustic crap' comment there. If anything, having acoustic guitars, when done right really bring out the extremness and heaviness of the song. Such as The Nephilim Rising by Behemoth with a brutal ass riff and some really brutal vocals, only towards the end it has a beautiful acoustic passage that really fits.

Another great example is Entwined by Vengeance by Vital Remains. The chorus riff features some great Spanish style guitar that fits with the distorted guitars.

Besides, having contradictions makes things interesting.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:31 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:31 AM #121 of 1376
You seem pretty distressed that the parameters of musical culture are beyond your control.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Listen to what you like, and stop trying to protect some nonexistent boundary line.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:37 AM #122 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
I seriously disagree with the 'pussy ass gay acoustic crap' comment there. If anything, having acoustic guitars, when done right really bring out the extremness and heaviness of the song. Such as The Nephilim Rising by Behemoth with a brutal ass riff and some really brutal vocals, only towards the end it has a beautiful acoustic passage that really fits.

Another great example is Entwined by Vengeance by Vital Remains. The chorus riff features some great Spanish style guitar that fits with the distorted guitars.

Besides, having contradictions makes things interesting.
The acoustic parts on Behemoth's "demigod " ruined the entire album for me.

I've always found that acoustic work in metal is like Waylon Jennings doing a black flag cover album.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Iwata; Mar 13, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:50 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:50 AM #123 of 1376
Stop being an acoustic hater!

Most amazing jew boots
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:05 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:05 AM #124 of 1376
Originally Posted by Skexis
You seem pretty distressed that the parameters of musical culture are beyond your control.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Listen to what you like, and stop trying to protect some nonexistent boundary line.
QFT

And I thought Iwata liked music for what it was, and not for what it was forcifully genred into. Disappointing really.

Bands like Opeth, Green Carnation, Tenhi, Elend, Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend and many other bring the whole contradicting into the picture and make it a steady part of the bigger picture. Metal can now be completely acoustic. And that's weird enough for me to make me appreciate it.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:50 PM #125 of 1376
Acoustic guitars is what turned most of metal bands into shit.
Bollocks. Dark Tranquillity's "Mine is the Grandeur..." intro to "...Of Melancholy Burning" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.
Like everything else, it's not the actual instrument, but the use of it. Same with keyboards in metal, violins in metal, symphony in metal, orchestras in metal, female vocals in metal, etc. You can have gay-ass shit like Sonata Arctica (crap keyboards) or Opeth (crap acoustic parts) or Nightwish's Once (crap symphony, crap female vocals), but you can also have Summoning (awesome keyboards), Dark Tranquillity's first two albums (awesome acoustic parts), Therion (awesome symphony, female vocals), and so on.

Double Post:
Though, I must thank you for stirring the conversation in another direction than something like System of a Down. Let's keep it this way.

Last edited by Morrigan; Mar 13, 2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)