Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] I'M GONNA WRECK IT!

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:37 PM 2 #1 of 13
Angry I'M GONNA WRECK IT!

Guess what came out today? If you didn't know then you must have been living under a stump like my main man Ralph. So yeah, not a big deal, just only the movie of the year or at least mine but it should be yours too. I mean unless you hate fun or something or enjoying things or smiling. If you hate smiling don't see this movie. Recommend it to people who you know that do like smiling instead. Be all yeah I'm mister loves to frown all the time and yeah I hear you like to smile so this guy on the Internet says if you like smiling you should go see this movie - oh what's the movies name? Wreck-It Ralph.

So yeah, you're interested? Awesome. You see basically you know those old places where they have these big ol' boxes with monitors with the bloopy bleepy run and jump shoot and eat and zappa pow zooie with guys and explosions and ooh's and ah's that take quarters? Yeah, arcades! So there's this arcade that when it closes down at night the characters from the arcade machines all stop what they're doing when you'd be looking and all but no you're not because the place is closed so listen up yeah they go and do whatever they feel like like maybe congratulate each other on another good day of work playing their roles or lamenting about some bullshit like being thrown off a tower into a big ol' mud puddle and dragging their sorry carcass over to the dump.

Sounds shitty, right? Nah it's okay because one stop down the power plug express gets you to surge protector where you can hang out with all the other characters from other arcade machines and even go down their power plugs and check out what fun their place offers like maybe grab a drink at Tapper's, watch a fight over at Street Fighter, or any number of things.

So yeah, I bet you're thinking that basically it sounds like Toy Story with videogame characters, right? Well yeah that's pretty much the gist of it but it gets a bit more dangerous as well. Kinda like how the toys aren't supposed to be seen moving about and well they can be destroyed these videogame characters also have consequences to face as well. If they die outside of their videogame they aren't supported by their arcade machine's code anymore and die permanently. So basically any time they leave their arcade machine they're taking a huge risk but going into another arcade game will increase that risk severely depending on the game.

The other big thing is that if their arcade machine appears to look buggy to a player then it may potentially be unplugged if the arcade owner thinks it's broken leaving any characters that are fortunate to escape it before the arcade is unplugged stranded in the hub world inside the surge protector. Simple enough but that angle certainly makes things very interesting.

Wait, what's that you say? You're gonna go see it? I should shut up and maybe post a trailer to wet your appetite instead? You serious, you're gonna see it?! Yeah?! Well then...

Here's that trailer you wanted.

YouTube Video

Oh and another for good measure.

YouTube Video

Oh who am I kidding sure I'm gonna tell you what I thought about it as well. I was just over at /co/ looking for a nice Wreck-It Ralph thread and actually made a reply for once instead of just lurking.

Anyway, I'll put it in a spoiler box just for the sake of space and any minor spoiling.

Spoiler:
Guy I'm responding to:
Just got out of a morning showing. It was alright.

>great music (except for the Rhianna song)
>great video game jokes and references
>solid 2nd and 3rd acts

But it could have been better.
>weak first act
>most non-game jokes fall flat (that "Duty" joke is painfully cringeworthy and goes on way too long)
>visually it looks great but never really made itself stand out

If you enjoy games, you'll really dig it, but I really think the script needed more polish. I still think Hotel Transylvania was a more entertaining animated movie overall.

My response:
Just got back from seeing it myself. I think it was just about as entertaining as Hotel Transylvania as far as laughs go. I like your comparison though as both movies do really awesome things in terms of animation. Wreck-It Ralph has these really quirky quick movements that some of the characters will do to mimic old videogame character movements that just has this really great feel to it. It really gave some unique feel to each type of videogame character. Hotel Transylvania was all over the place with amazing Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon movements. And holy shit the short that came before WIR, Paperman? With all three of these I don't know what an animation lover wouldn't geek out about? Fucking sublime.

But really I fucking loved Wreck-It Ralph and just like Hotel Transylvania you can see that it had A LOT of love go into it and I'm sure both had one hell of a development cycle.

If you love videogames and animation you will most likely adore this movie like me. Good lord the pixelated credit sequence was worth the ticket price alone. Maybe I'm super easy to please and this movie is pretty much tailored to me but I'm pretty much putting this movie as movie as the year for me in terms of enjoyment. I am absolutely double dipping and seeing it again and dragging a few people with me.

So tl;dr of this post: Wreck-It Ralph is an amazingly fun movie. Disney has made a winner with this one. You'll love it on its own merits. You'll love it for its clever videogame references and humor. Please go see it now.

Also, stick around through the credits if you love pixel art. That's a really minor spoiler but seriously just do it. It's pants-wetting gorgeous pandering to people like lurker and me. Bring an extra pair.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:54 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2012, 01:54 PM #2 of 13
Is Hotel Transylvania actually any good? From all the commercials it looked like one of the biggest turds ever.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:10 PM 1 #3 of 13
Yeah, it actually is good. It's very simple as far as plot goes but it's really great cartoony animation and a lot of fun. I think a lot of people are overlooking it because it has Adam Sandler and a bunch of his Saturday Night Live cronies but really they're all just acting their parts. It's not that type of bad Sandler movie people are probably associating it with. It's just a cast and while yeah certain humor really lends well to this cast it's ultimately a really fun experience and if you love Genndy Tartakovsky's work (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, Sym-Bionic Titan) and his style of great cartoony animation you are in for a treat. Just sit back, don't take anything too seriously or go in for a riveting plot, and you are gonna have a fun time. I'd totally recommend any animation fan to see it on top of it being really enjoyable. Hotel Transylvania has my approval!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:52 PM #4 of 13
Acer pretty much nailed it in the first post. Saw it today as well, and thought it was great. So many little game references that had me giggling, while the people around me... well, nothing. Which made me kind of sad but oh well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, to say the least.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:08 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2012, 10:08 AM #5 of 13
I really, really, really, really, REALLY want to see this movie. But because of bullshit Disney release dates it's not out over here until something like February next year. I don't understand why they do this crap and despite the fact that I've never downloaded a movie this kind of crap makes me tempted to just pirate. I'll have had the film spoiled 20 times over by the time I ever get to see it. Ho hum. Glad it's good, maybe I'll watch it one day.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM #6 of 13
Yeah, they did this bullshit to you guys with The Muppets too. I don't know what it is either because especially with their animations they should be worldwide releases as close as they can manage. It's not like you guys are even a different language. Maybe they have this simultaneous multi-language across Europe excuse or something. But yeah, OP, I wouldn't feel bad if you nabbed a cam rip of the film. I hear there's one out already.

Sousuke, my theater experience was great. I went to a 12:40 PM show on Friday so the kids were still in school. There was only one family with small children behind me but they were really well behaved and there was a scattering of people throughout the rest of the large theater. I got there early and nabbed the best seats for viewing in 3D. The audience as small as it was laughed where appropriate and seemed to enjoy it. My only gripe is hardly anyone stuck around for the pixel credits. No appreciation for the arts. And I was the only one who got to catch the tiny but pleasant bonus at the very end.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:07 PM #7 of 13
I normally stay through the credits, regardless of the movie, it's just that during this particular viewing the popcorn didn't exactly agree with my stomach, heh. Had to leave halfway through the credits.

I went to a 5pm showing yesterday, and even then the cinema was pretty empty. There were small groups/families spread throughout the room but it wasn't busy by any means. I'm hoping that it picks up though, this movie deserves to rake in some cash.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:04 PM #8 of 13
I'm not sure when yet, but I plan to see this sometime next week. I've been interested ever since the first trailer. Little details like using a specific zombie from the first House of the Dead instead of just a generic zombie made it seem like the creators put some actual effort and love into it, so I'm glad to hear that's the case.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:59 PM 2 #9 of 13
Someone uploaded the soundtrack if you're interested.
Click

Also tumblr loves it too. For good and for bad. I do enjoy fanart though.

contains varying degrees of spoilers - you've been warned:

(oops this is actually promotional art but I love it all the same)

super plot spoilers only click if you've seen the movie:

Sousuke showed this to me the other day. Jane Lynch went on Ellen dressed as Calhoun:

Oh interesting thing about the Japanese release of Wreck-It Ralph. Apparently they changed the designs for some of the Sugar Rush racers.

For instance here's the original Candle Head:

And here's the Japanese release Candle Head:

Honestly, the only negative thing I could say about WIR is that it features a fully animated Skrillex for like 5 seconds during the party scene at the beginning. His music that plays during Hero's Duty is actually really toned down as far as wubs go and fitting so not too much to complain on that end.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:18 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2012, 02:18 AM 1 #10 of 13
I can't get the Sugar Rush theme out of my head.

Good movie; I enjoyed it. It's nice to be able to say "best video game movie" and not still be talking about a terrible film now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Animechanic; Nov 10, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:36 AM #11 of 13
S-U-G-A-R
Jump into your racing car
It's SUGAR RUSH!
SUGAR RUSH!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:50 PM 2 #12 of 13
So much of me was excited for this movie, and so little of me left disappointed. Disney's in-house animations have been stale for a while, but between Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph, their rejuvenation is palpable.

The concept sold me from the moment I heard about it. How could I not be excited about an animated flick about an arcade character? I mean COME ON. I was a little let down to ultimately find out that it was to be yet another CG animated film, but I guess expecting a full-on 2D animated film in the style of 8-bit arcade goodness was asking a bit much of the film gods.

Thankfully, the animation is wonderfully-done and directed with a masterful touch. Little flairs show that this was crafted with care and not just another assembly-line kids flick, notably the animation on some of the characters. The denizens of Fix-it-Felix Jr. move with a jittery grace that adds a beautiful retro touch to their movements. It's hard to describe, but you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you see it.

Obviously I was looking forward to the various video game cameos, and I was not disappointed. The film was very front-loaded with the cameos and in-jokes, but it fit the narrative, and there are still little things thrown in throughout that are either overt or subtle, but all of them tickled the gamer in me pink. It will take many viewings to pick out every character in Game Central Station, and will be a gift that will keep on giving when this hits home video.

A lot of folks have correctly compared this to Toy Story, especially in the beginning. Its setting is largely the same, in that its set in a world where our toys have a world of their own when they're not being played with. The arcade backdrop gives it a few very interesting twists, such as the idea that these arcade characters are essentially on the job for the hours that the arcade is open, and then have, like, nights off. In Toy Story, our toys always had to be on call, but the world of Wreck-it-Ralph is very much structured like that of a typical adult life. But the similarities stop there.

When the arcade closes, the characters are free to travel about the arcade via a surge protector, or as it's called in the film (and as I'll be calling them from now on), Game Central Station. They have public transportation to and from their games and are free to roam about as long as they return to their game by opening time. At one point you find Ralph having a bar at the Tapper arcade machine with folks like Ryu from Street Fighter hanging out in the background. Having the film take place in their world made it all the more fantastical and unique. There was a lot of opportunity to play with these worlds, and I don't feel let down even though they only really visit a handful. I'm sure there will be plenty more to explore when eventual sequels are made.

This is far from a simple kids flick. The story focuses on Ralph coming to terms with being a bad guy (but not necessarily a BAD guy), but weaves in numerous subplots expertly, and very unexpectedly for a film aimed at children. I'm not ashamed to admit that I legitimately had no clue where this film was going for most of it, and was delighted when it all came together at the end.

I can't really say enough good things about Wreck-it-Ralph but I'll probably just stop now. This is one of the best animated Disney flicks I've seen in a long time, absolutely on a Pixarian level in the level of craftsmanship on display in every category. I knew it would at least make me giddy, but I'm genuinely impressed by how great it is. I can't recommend it enough.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:38 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2012, 01:38 AM #13 of 13
Holy fucking shit this movie was so good. I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a very long time. As in tears in my eyes, snorting obnoxiously, and having trouble breathing kind of laughing. I loved it. Everything about it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] I'M GONNA WRECK IT!