Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Manual Transmisson: not Female Friendly?

TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:11 PM #26 of 76
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Am I the only one who finds that female drivers are, in general, far worse drivers than men?
Well, over here at least there are insurance companies that only take women because they're considered safer drivers. Some of the adverts for such companies however don't really suggest this to be true, but there must have been some research carried out somewhere to suggest this.

Anyway on topic, I've never actually met anyone who drives an automatic. Manual is the norm over here - so I wouldn't exactly say it's fair to say that men or women are "better" at using it, considering most people do.

How ya doing, buddy?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 04:37 PM #27 of 76
My parents know how to drive a stick, and they could if they wanted to, but they definitely prefer automatic, and never bothered to teach me to drive a stick. I'm actually thinking of getting a stick for my next car (have a '95 Civic EX with auto right now) and teaching myself. Until then, I'm going to have to content myself with pseudo-manual...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gilmour
Wark!

Member 564

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:30 AM #28 of 76
Originally Posted by TRZD

Anyway on topic, I've never actually met anyone who drives an automatic. Manual is the norm over here .
Agreed, if anyone over here aged below 30 or so admits to owning a automatic they are pretty much guaranteed to have the piss taken out of them.

Personally I cant stand automatics, dont feel that I have anywhere near as much control over the car as I do in a manual,

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:39 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:39 PM #29 of 76
It's hard to even get a manual transmission car anymore unless you either...

a) get one that's really really old, has a bazillion miles, and will die in 6 months
or
b) get a brand spanky new right off the assembly line one special ordered with all the extras for a ton of extra money.

But almost everybody in my family was taught how to drive a stick, save for my youngest stepsis. Babies of the family get it so lucky.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:42 PM #30 of 76
I drive an automatic and know how to drive manual should the need arise (although expect gears to grind), but I'm much more familiar with automatic for the obvious reasons. I have no personal preference, as manual gives you more control over the engine but automatic is a lot easier and eliminates the concern of rolling into the car behind you on hills.
However, my girlfriend swears by manual transmission >.>

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mercury Blue
Here kitty kitty...

Member 595

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:18 PM #31 of 76
When I first started driving I only drove automatics, then I got my first car a few years ago and had to learn how to drive stick shift. I think I am the only girl in my family who knows how to drive a manual. I tried teaching my mom once, but she couldn't do it, it scared her and my sister dosen't care for it at all. ._o
I find it fun to shift gears and when it comes time to buy another car I think I want another car with a stick shift. =D

FELIPE NO
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:16 PM #32 of 76
No, I don't know any females who drive stick in this day and age. When I was too young to worry about that my Aunt had a manual transmission Camaro.

On the other hand, I know only two boys who drive stick regularly. I learned on it personally but dont prefer it unless there's a reason for it (Muscle Cars, Sport Cars etc)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:19 PM #33 of 76
I've always thought it was pretty cool that my mom drives standard. I suppose it's because my parents grew up in Europe, where apparently automatic cars aren't very common at all, combined with standard transmission being cheaper than automatic.

I also like my mom's taste in cars. We got a new car a few months ago, and I definitely enjoy driving my mom's Mazda 3 more than my dad's Focus station wagon.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:26 AM #34 of 76
I know girls who drive stick. My aunt is the one who taught me how to drive stick and she's freaking wild!! If you were to sit in her car you'd be scared but if you watch her drive instead of looking at the road you'll see that she is very attentive and has excellent control. I wouldn't be surprised if she did street racing.

Most amazing jew boots
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:46 PM #35 of 76
My mother-in-law drives manual and my sister'd love to but her car doesnt have it.

I hate MT.... I'm such a scatterbrain I dont need to be remembering to shift gears while I'm driving.

"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"
Lileya
Agafnet?

Member 2402

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:18 AM #36 of 76
Interesting. Any women I know that can drive knows how to drive a manual. I also know as many people with a manual car than an automatic, and it wasn't some "special order" >_>

For myself, I went to pass the theory test to get my temporary driver's license and I failed the exam! :O I suck... ;_;

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:26 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:26 PM #37 of 76
I drive an automatic and I've only met one female who drove a stick. Most males I know tend to drive both automatic or manual. I've always wanted to learn how to drive manual cars though.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:04 AM #38 of 76
I only one one person who drives a manual (It's a Porsche, awesome as hell too), most of the others have an automatic as far as I know.

I'm currently learning to drive a manual and I'm pretty awful at it. To my credit though, I've only been out twice and the Nissan I'm trying to learn on is a lot more powerful than the Mazda I currently drive. It's funny because the manual is MY damn car and since I can drive a stick yet I had to swap with my sister in law.

I can stay in place on a hill if I try hard enough. ;__;

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:16 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:16 AM #39 of 76
Quote:
He has been holding onto an old (98?) Plymouth Neon
Whoa!?! '98 is old?

The newest car I've ever owned was an '87

My current car is a 1978 VW (I really love this car by the way), here is a pic:

Anyway, the main complaint I hear about manuals is that they make it too hard to do things like talk on your cell while driving. But is that something you should really be doing anyway? Driving a manual keeps me out of trouble by forcing me to focus on driving, not eating to chatting on the phone... I see that as a Pro, not a Con...

And why is insurance cheaper for female drivers? That seems really unfair to me. I've been driving for the last 6 years, and in that time I've had 0 accidents and 0 tickets, yet I pay more than my fair share to the insurance company... because I'm a guy.

FELIPE NO
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:41 AM #40 of 76
My mom drove a manual for a while; 90-something Dodge Colt. Then my sister crashed it while running a red light, which was uncool.

So I guess women can drive a stick.

As well as they can drive anything else.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:59 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:59 AM #41 of 76
My mom knows how to drive stick. She just prefers automatic because "America has too many damn stop signs".

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:10 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:10 AM #42 of 76
Quote:
My mom drove a manual for a while; 90-something Dodge Colt. Then my sister crashed it while running a red light, which was uncool.
That brings back memories. My first car was an '86 Dodge Colt...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:15 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:15 AM #43 of 76
My mother also used to drive manual for more than 8 - 10 I presume years ago, which was good when she wanted to go to the nearby mall (with us). She handles the wheel pretty well and just keeps her cool behind the wheel (of course, she flares up after driving though. It's all good though since she never goes aggressive.. well, behind the wheel at least).

Of course though, in contrast to my father driving, we would never talk to our mom. She'd get distracted easily.

doyeon
Carob Nut

Member 2369

Level 5.19

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:47 AM #44 of 76
I find a woman who drives a manual sports car quite sexy and attractive.

doodle
fingertips

Member 579

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:57 PM #45 of 76
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I really want to own one at points. They say it makes driving feel more like "driving." But I also like taht when I drive my automatic Chevy Blazer, I don't have to worry about always having one hand free. God forbid I couldn't smoke while driving. ^_^
I smoke while driving my manual car all the time, it's really not much different from an automatic. I mean, f you can manage typing with a cigarette in your fingers, you can manipulate a steering wheel as well. Of course, I smoke with my left hand while driving so I can flick it out the window, but it might be a different story if you're using the ashtray.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:02 PM #46 of 76
Originally Posted by David4516
And why is insurance cheaper for female drivers? That seems really unfair to me. I've been driving for the last 6 years, and in that time I've had 0 accidents and 0 tickets, yet I pay more than my fair share to the insurance company... because I'm a guy.
Because teenage boys have more accidents than teenage girls (probably because they have a greater tendency to show off). Insurance companies have to go with the statistics. Who can blame them?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:11 PM #47 of 76
There aren't really any compelling reasons anymore to drive a manual other than for 1) greater control over your acceleration or 2) elitism. It seems like almost everyone in this thread would rather have manual for the latter. Which is stupid. It's like, "Hey, guys, look at this typewriter I have! You still send out stuff on computers?? Pshaw, that's so EASY. It's so NEW. Why would you want to use that stupid PC thing?!" Automatics used to consume more gas, but that's not true anymore.

If you say 1, well, fine, but I don't really know many people who need acceleration or should be trusted with a car that can go fast. I live in a city with a shitload of traffic, it's not like I can go anywhere all that fast anyway.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
Bishounen Bitch
Pooped

Member 2130

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:04 PM #48 of 76
After having driven cars with both types of transmissions I prefer manual over automatic. I feel like I've more control over my car and it's defintely a far more interactive experience than simply sitting on your ass whilst watching the road pass by. And since I don't apply make-up, eat, or talk on the phone while I'm driving I don't have to worry about not being able to shift in time.

Most amazing jew boots
Dreamshadow

Member 471

Level 7.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:51 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:51 AM #49 of 76
Me. Girl.

Me drive Manual/Standard/Stick WELL for past 6 months.

'83 Toyota...

It's my pride and joy. I hate automatics. Let them rot in hell. *+1 to transmission prices*

Anyway, I used to drive an '03 Dodge Ram. I prefer the '83. It actually makes me feel like I'm in control of the car, rather than just the speed. The only problem with it is it's lack of a drink holder thing. You wouldn't believe how much of a hassle it is to eat and drive without a cup holder.

It's probably better for women to know how to drive standard anyway. It allows you to drive pretty much anything. Although, everytime I cross intersections, I hope I don't let up on the clutch too early. Calling people when needing to shift is halarious as well.

"Hang on. Gotta shift."

"So yeah, what as I say--hang on. Sorry 3rd gear."

"Yeah, so---God damn it! Hang on."

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:53 AM #50 of 76
Perhaps invest in some hubcaps or something.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Manual Transmisson: not Female Friendly?