Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] New Nintendo console "Project Cafe" due 2012

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:03 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2011, 02:03 PM #1 of 15
New Nintendo console "Project Cafe" due 2012

It's official, Nintendo have put out statements confirming that they will be revealing their successor to the Wii (currently codenamed "Project Cafe") at E3 this year. Additionally they've stated that it will be launching in 2012.

Some rumoured specs and details have also appeared today, though these are nothing to do with the official information:

Quote:
Nintendo's rumoured Wii successor, thought to be codenamed Project Café, will run off AMD's R700 GPU architecture, according to a new report.

Anonymous sources told IGN that, on that basis, the system will out-perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor.

Its CPU will apparently be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset similar to that of the Xbox 360 but with faster clocking speeds.

According to the sources, the console will output at 1080p with possible, but as yet unconfirmed, support for stereoscopic 3D as well.

It's also claimed that the console will be roughly the same size as the original Xbox 360 and resemble a modern take on the classic SNES' form.

The report claims it'll be manufactured by the Taiwanese Foxconn plant and be ready to ship this October, though Nintendo may hold back the release to build up stock and give developers more time to finish software.

A potential price tag of between $350 (£212) and $400 (£242) is suggested.
[ source ]

So are people interested, excited or care at all? What can Nintendo actually bring to the table that will seem like a decent follow up to the Wii beyond a Wii HD?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Apr 25, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:05 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2011, 01:05 PM #2 of 15
Personally, I don't know if Nintendo will be willing to increase their launch price over $100 after getting so much success in the more casual gaming market.

Also, thoughts on Project Cafe being more or less gay than Project Dolphin?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:02 PM #3 of 15
I don't think Cafe is intended for the casual market. I expect they'll continue to support the Wii for a good long while while Cafe courts the graphics-whores and Madden-players of the "hardcore" sector. The casuals can be gradually converted to Cafe later when the price comes down.

(Somebody will find a way to find the system specs disappointing no matter what so they can announce NINTENDO'S IMPENDING DOOM for the fourth generation in a row.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:11 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 08:11 AM #4 of 15
Given that their profits dropped like a rock, such prognostications might not be far off.

I blame Apple, of course.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:15 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 06:15 PM #5 of 15
I'm not convinced there's enough of a market for 24 different HD Mario games to make money on an expensive Nintendo console.

Traditionally, console manufacturers lose money on selling consoles then make the money on software licences. Every report I've read shows that for each Wii sold, they've sold only a handfull of games. A ton of people bought the console but everyone plays Wii Sports for a week or so then never uses the thing again.

Also, whatever you hardcore Wii gamers say, the Wii is marketed as a kids' console or certainly a family console. Once you start asking a couple of hundred quid for something it stops being something parents buy for their kids and starts being something older folk like us buy for themselves. I'm not sure Nintendo know anything about selling stuff to 20-30 somethings and they've got a real uphill struggle to break Sony and Microsoft's deathgrip on that market.

I'm not going to write it off from the start but if it launches with a Mario game, three other games that feature Mario characters and some kids stuff and has anything like the retarded friend code crap for online interaction then I won't be buying one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:45 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 12:45 PM #6 of 15
Given that their profits dropped like a rock, such prognostications might not be far off.
Came in to post this, the Wii's been on a downward slope for a bit until it fell right the fuck off last fiscal year. Profits down 52% is quite a thing.

But instead of Apple, I'd blame extremely weak software support.

It's sort of a positive feedback loop. Wii sales stagger slightly (as far back as late 2009), publishers decide Wii games not worth the investment, even less support, hardware sales worsen, repeat.

This is why some stuff that should have been painfully obvious or that was otherwise attempted never made it, such as the retail Super Meat Boy Wii release that was planned there for a bit.

I find Shin's post hilarious. Traditionally, you say. Pretty sure no one gives a fuck about that considering the money printing and copy-cats, but hey whatever you say.

It's also a completely normal length console cycle. It's the other two that also need successors at this point.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:58 PM #7 of 15
I'm not going to write it off from the start but if it launches with a Mario game, three other games that feature Mario characters and some kids stuff and has anything like the retarded friend code crap for online interaction then I won't be buying one.
With Mario and Zelda being my staple favorites of nintendo, its still hard to turn down even to this day. I've already played just about all of them lmao. I'll still play new iterations of these games on the 3DS and Project Cafe. However I still don't like ports or graphical ports even (OoT for 3DS?), its just basically the same thing but prettier. I could only recall a few ports that were made with extra content... and that usually from Square-enix's stuff.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:24 PM #8 of 15
I'm not convinced there's enough of a market for 24 different HD Mario games to make money on an expensive Nintendo console.
25 years of astronomically high sales, universal acclaim, and endless imitators aren't enough to convince you?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:57 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 10:57 PM 1 #9 of 15
25 years of astronomically high sales, universal acclaim, and endless imitators aren't enough to convince you?
Not really, no. Like Skills said, the Wii's biggest issue is software support. The Wii has a few great games but only a few and I don't think anyone would argue against that. It's one thing asking people £100 for a console with a quirky control system and a couple of really good games on it, it's something quite different to ask them for £300 and then only offer a couple of really good games on it, especially for me personally who doesn't enjoy Mario games or relate to the characters in any way. Mario games are hugely popular and sell hugely well but having only one franchise people are interested in isn't enough to support a console.

Skills, when I say traditionaly, I mean that pretty much since consoles were first launched with third party software support they've made little money at best on hardware sales and made up the money of software licensing. If Nintendo launch a niche console that costs a lot, they're never going to match the Wii's sales figures. Given that same negative feedback loop you mentioned yourself and given the pitiful amount of software per console sold on the Wii, developers are going to be reticent to develop for the new console and without people lining up to make games for it, they ain't going to make any money licensing software for it.

All I'm saying is that it's a bold move for Nintendo. On the face of what Omagnus posted, it look like Nintendo are looking to take on the 360 and PS3 directly, if not surplant them. They've not been the console of choice for "serious" gamers since the Playstation murdered the N64 and I wonder if they're capable of properly exploiting what for them is something of an alien market for them, that of older gamers, the Playstation generation if you will.

The Playstation was a massive success because Sony realised that selling stuff to 20 year olds was a better idea than selling it to parents buying stuff for their kids. The Wii was a huge success by selling stuff to parents buying stuff for their kids and didn't impact much on the lives of 20-somethings, other than everyone buying one to play Wii Sports when they were drunk. I will honestly be surprised if Nintendo manage to make something that appeals to the type of people who are going to spend £300 on a games console, given what they've been churning out since the late 90's.

This time next year, how many people will be looking spend money on a brand new console that plays a Mario game and how many will wanting to spend money on Gears of War 4, Call of Duty 25 and a Halo Prequel?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:14 PM #10 of 15
Mario games are hugely popular and sell hugely well but having only one franchise people are interested in isn't enough to support a console.
I think you're seriously undervaluing Nintendo's established franchises, both in power and number. This list is off the top of my head, but:

Mario (Not including various spinoff franchises such as Mario Kart and Mario Party)
Zelda
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Kirby

And these are all just first party titles, and franchises that have been with gamers for at least 20 years. Practically established household names. I may have even missed some.

Sure, Mario may not have the rugged toughness of Marcus Fenix or the manly mystique of Master Chief, but gaming can only survive on testosterone, violence, manliness, and whatever else it is that people aged 14-20 think is cool for so long. Practically every exclusive in Sony or Microsoft's lineup is a recent creation, borne out of this lame trend of catering to idiots who just want to kill and blow shit up. I seriously can't imagine that these franchises will last forever, nor can I imagine that gamers will want to sit through the same monotonous killing games forever.

The reason the Nintendo creations are so wildly successful, both critically and commercially, is because they cater to everybody. It's the same reason why they have such staying power. I played Mario games when I was 5 years old and when I was 25 years old, and they've always been fun, fresh, challenging, and exhilarating. Nobody makes games like Nintendo. You can dislike them all you want (which I still don't understand), but to deny their quality and power is just insane.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:30 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 01:30 AM #11 of 15
All I'm saying is that it's a bold move for Nintendo. On the face of what Omagnus posted, it look like Nintendo are looking to take on the 360 and PS3 directly, if not surplant them. They've not been the console of choice for "serious" gamers since the Playstation murdered the N64 and I wonder if they're capable of properly exploiting what for them is something of an alien market for them, that of older gamers, the Playstation generation if you will.

The Playstation was a massive success because Sony realised that selling stuff to 20 year olds was a better idea than selling it to parents buying stuff for their kids. The Wii was a huge success by selling stuff to parents buying stuff for their kids and didn't impact much on the lives of 20-somethings, other than everyone buying one to play Wii Sports when they were drunk. I will honestly be surprised if Nintendo manage to make something that appeals to the type of people who are going to spend £300 on a games console, given what they've been churning out since the late 90's.

This time next year, how many people will be looking spend money on a brand new console that plays a Mario game and how many will wanting to spend money on Gears of War 4, Call of Duty 25 and a Halo Prequel?
Shin, several points.

Not due out until fiscal year 2012.

IGN's information on "considerably more powerful than 360/PS3" is either a mistranslation, accidental misinformation, or more than likely, them blowing shit out their ass.

Uno.
Dos.
French sites that state that the specs for RAM are not known, and that some devs say performance is "on par with" or "slightly better than" circlebox and triple output.

A majority of the capabilities of the thing (including video playback, garmins, etc) will stream to the controller's LCD, bypassing the TV. Perhaps they're going to sell it up as a more multifunction device like the triple's original selling point.

---------

So what can we assume from this? That the only thing it's really going to supplant is...the Wii itself. They don't need to position it as anything but a new Wii, there is no reason to do anything else. They could probably manufacture the PowerPC architecture for dirt cheap and make money on the hardware itself from day 1 again. (The 360 itself is very similar to this and they're making money on the individual units being moved now, and that's after the last round of die shrinks and everything)

It's unlikely it's as bold a move as you think. That's all. It's likely they'll make money doing for it pretty much exactly what they did for the early Wii. That well has finally started to dry up so might as well drill another one at the other side of the yard.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:52 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 06:52 PM #12 of 15
I'll admit I didn't read any of the background stuff, I was going entirely off what Omagnus posted, i.e. the implication this was going to be a rival for the Triple and Circlebox, rather than a straight Wii replacement.

That said, I think it'll have to have something else pretty groundbreaking about it to match the success of the Wii and I suspect they probably have something pretty groundbreaking that they're keeping close to their chests for the time being. It'll be interesting to see what that is.

Sprout, I'm never going to suggest that all those Nintendo franchises are anything other than hugely popular and successful but certainly locally and in my experience, nobody plays any of them. Maybe it's a UK thing, maybe it's a Brighton thing or maybe it's a just my mates thing but literally everyone I know owns a Wii and either a PS3 or a 360. I know one guy who has one Zelda, Mario and Metroid game and everyone else owns Wii Sports and maybe Just Dance or Raving Rabbids. Kirby games never get released over here and I've never heard of anyone who bought Donkey Kong on the Wii. On the flip side, everyone owns a string of games on the other consoles including near universal ownership of a CoD game, a Halo game, Gran Turismo, PGR or Forza, Oblivion, Fallout and a Guitar Hero game then multiple other titles.

Like I say, it might just be my circle of friends and across the rest of the UK, Wii games are flying off the shelves but that every game shop I go into has half the shop PS3, half 360 and a tiny Wii section crammed in the corner would suggest otherwise.

I'm interested to see what this new console will bring to the table but if it's just the same five games over again with a new gimic, I won't be spending any money on one, that's all I'm saying.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:08 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 10:08 AM #13 of 15
I think one of the biggest downfalls for the Wii that kinda did it in relates to how they handled muliplayer. Friend codes were annoying, especially since you had one for the system and one for each individual game. Because PS3 and 360 had an easier online system setup, developers who wanted to create multiplayer content would go to those systems because they knew people would buy their games on a system thats easier to play with their friends on.

This only really applies to online gaming, as in person gaming with the wii was fun and I enjoyed it significantly more than in person gaming with the 360/ps3 (rock band being the exception here).

I hope Nintendo's next system uses a different method for online play, I really do.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:47 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 09:47 PM #14 of 15
Like I say, it might just be my circle of friends and across the rest of the UK, Wii games are flying off the shelves but that every game shop I go into has half the shop PS3, half 360 and a tiny Wii section crammed in the corner would suggest otherwise.
No, I don't think that's just a UK thing, the Wii does have a poorer attach rate for games. Proof, were it needed, can be found on backloggery: system software tie-in ratio stats. To summarise the current gen offerings in terms of average number of games owned per system (in brackets, if you include each system's online arcade game store - XBLA, PSN, WiiWare):

360 - 16.5 (28.7)
NDS - 13.9
PS3 - 11.6 (20.2)
PSP - 10.3
Wii - 9.8 (14.5)

Now bear in mind the stats will be geared towards the high side because backloggery is populated by people who generally have a lot of games and are pretty hardcore gamers for the most part. But still, even amongst that game-happy set the Wii falls behind.

I'm definitely interested to see what Nintendo announce, but really the most important thing is the games, and preferably it'll be those without stupid annoying gimmicks in them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2011, 06:41 PM #15 of 15
Finally, the final design for Project Cafe:

Spoiler:

I CAN'T wait for this. I'm preordering, like... 10.

FELIPE NO
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] New Nintendo console "Project Cafe" due 2012