Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:40 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 11:40 AM #151 of 800
I thought something was wrong with that poster art, Fenrir and Cloud's First Sword is looking way off - the artist probably didn't have much reference to work with (which is quite strange since most of the facial expressions and likeness' for the characters are dead-on).

Nevertheless, that is awesome artwork.

Regarding Tifa's assets, I don't think the size is the problem, it's more like the emphasis on the shape and curves which doesn't fit what she's wearing. Just my thoughts.

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 02:45 AM #152 of 800
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
IGN has video interviews with some of the english cast. I'm not looking for fear of any possible spoilers, or most likely these will be the same interviews found in that bonus third disc (when is that being distributed anyway?).

http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/761/761530/vids_1.html
I just finished watching all of them. Don't worry, there's not one single thing that could possibly constitute a spoilers. Or even any real content. :P It's mostly IGN plugging itself. Surprise surprise.

If you want some cheap amusement, open the interview with Cloud or Loz's VAs, close your eyes, and imagine it's Cloud/Loz doing the interview. Worth a few chuckles if you're bored enough. Otherwise, just skip the things entirely. Not because of spoilers, just because they're boring.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 09:18 PM #153 of 800
IGN should seriously be banned from the internet; those videos were downright embarrassing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:51 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 03:21 AM #154 of 800
Originally Posted by Motsy
IGN should seriously be banned from the internet; those videos were downright embarrassing.
Tell me about it. I feel dumber for having watched them.

Not that IGN is a bastion of journalistic integrity on the best of days, but... Geez. When you're interviewing VAs, why don't you ask them about the damn movie and their work on it rather than babbling and grilling them on their favourite TV show? For fuck's sake.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:07 AM #155 of 800
Quote:
Regarding Tifa's assets, I don't think the size is the problem, it's more like the emphasis on the shape and curves which doesn't fit what she's wearing. Just my thoughts.
You nailed it; that's the real problem I have with the drawing. With that kind of outfit, her chest shouldn't stick out the way it does.

I was told while playing FFXI today that the recent issue of Game Informer posted a rumor about the FFVII remake, saying that it's well underway (think he said that it mentioned an E3 showing), and that it's going to utilize the FFXII battle system.

I'm not sure how credible GI is, but this is one of the remake rumors I'm not willing to believe. I don't see FFXII's MMORPG style working too well with the context of FFVII. I think Nomura will want a battle system where he can utilize more flash to it. I hope both the remake and FFXII have a more fast paced battle system though. I can't really imagine AC-quality models standing stupidly still while waiting for their turn during battle.

EDIT:

Quote:
RUMOR: Game Informer's Loose Talk rumor reported that Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII will adopt the real time battle system from Final Fantasy XII
-Magic Box

.....Maybe he read the numerals wrong. :/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Soldier; Apr 10, 2006 at 03:11 AM.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 02:05 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 11:05 AM #156 of 800
Utilize the FFXII battle system? I don't know about that. Granted I've only played five minutes worth of the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII, so I'm probably missing something. It was nice to be able to move around, but things just felt too stiff.

If they're going to do this MMO/free-form fighting system for a possible FFVII remake, I'd rather see something that blends KH2 and DMC3's together with the ability to switch characters on the fly.

Hohoho ... dreamin'.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:17 PM #157 of 800
I need your input; I'm considering making a seperate thread to discuss the very-real possibility of an FFVII remake. With all this talk about either FFXII or FFVII being shown in E3 (and possibly utilizing the FFXII battle system, or something similar), I think the chances are very good that one game or the other (or maybe both, but not likely) will be unveiled soon.

Even if that wasn't the case, I still want to talk about what everyone would like to see in an FFVII remake. Should I make a seperate thread to talk about this, or keep any remake discussions in this thread (which techincally is getting off-topic)?

I was speaking idiomatically.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 06:49 PM #158 of 800
A harder Safer Sephiroth would be nice. He was such a bitch. And the final final battle in Cloud's subconscious should be an actual fight instead of OMNISLASHWTFPWNED. And get Mandy Moore or someone of equal skill as Aeris. Mena Suvari isn't gonna cut it.

I really hope they don't use the FFXII battle system. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd prefer the same turn-based system for a FFVII remake.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by WolfDemon; Apr 10, 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 08:52 PM #159 of 800
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Even if that wasn't the case, I still want to talk about what everyone would like to see in an FFVII remake. Should I make a seperate thread to talk about this, or keep any remake discussions in this thread (which techincally is getting off-topic)?
Haha, I'll just say that if you don't start it someone eventually will, especially now that you gave up the idea.

FELIPE NO
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:55 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 06:55 AM #160 of 800
On an AC-related note (now that the remake thread exists), does anyone else get headaches or feel dizzy watching this movie? The first time through I thought it was just the camerawork on the fight scenes, with all the rapid panning, zooming, and spiraling. Now I find that I can only watch maybe 10-20 minutes of any part of it before I feel funny. I'm thinking it's an uncanny-valley type of problem, occurring from my brain trying to grok the lifelike character rendering, but I always thought the uncanny valley only applied to robotics.

Maybe something to do with the detail level being so high in environments that are still clearly not real? Cognitive dissonance leading to headaches?

Weird.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:22 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 01:22 PM #161 of 800
Originally Posted by CelticWhisper
On an AC-related note (now that the remake thread exists), does anyone else get headaches or feel dizzy watching this movie? The first time through I thought it was just the camerawork on the fight scenes, with all the rapid panning, zooming, and spiraling. Now I find that I can only watch maybe 10-20 minutes of any part of it before I feel funny. I'm thinking it's an uncanny-valley type of problem, occurring from my brain trying to grok the lifelike character rendering, but I always thought the uncanny valley only applied to robotics.

Maybe something to do with the detail level being so high in environments that are still clearly not real? Cognitive dissonance leading to headaches?

Weird.

I figure it'd probably be the same thing as when people get motion sickness playing first person shooters, nothing more. Though, if you don't get them for that, um...no idea.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:29 PM #162 of 800
I would blame the quality of the download (assuming you did download it). Once you watch the much-higher-res version on DVD it shouldn't make you nearly as queezy.

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 12:10 PM #163 of 800
What would the quality have to do with that. The one that was on the internet was pretty much perfect, you could only see that it's not a DVD if you sat 2 inches away from the screen. Oh, but he must have got this since he couldn't enjoy it on his TV with 5.1 that's probably why.

Six Machine
Let's have activities!

Member 1127

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:43 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 12:43 PM #164 of 800
Cid sounding like a hick makes me sad. I imagined him as being rough around the edges, but I never thought of him as a good ol' boy. Is it really as bad as people say?

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2006, 09:47 PM #165 of 800
Cid is suppose to sound like a hick, cause in the Japan version he had a country Osaka accent. They stuck to the context despite the rather negative reactions from most fans, and I think that's brave of them to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmgYgE_4qXc

English clip from Sony Site.

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Apr 14, 2006 at 11:08 AM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:19 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 02:19 PM #166 of 800
Originally Posted by Kairi Li

Ohh, sounding pretty good. Too bad they couldn't have chosen a scene with more voice acting. I like em though. I thought Fred Tatasciore did a great job with Loz's grunts, they sound identical to the Kenji Nomura's performance. Steve Staley's perfomance might take a little while to get used to, but nevertheless I liked it. Steve Burton, just as I expected.

Also, the "black sheep" bit was how they translated it in the official trailers as well. So we can get an idea as to what the dialogue will be from watching the english trailers.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:26 PM #167 of 800
I'm not looking at a single clip before the release. I'm still attempting to expunge all the images and clips I've seen so the overall movie will still feel somewhat new to me.

Quote:
Cid is suppose to sound like a hick, cause in the Japan version he had a country Osaka accent.
Interesting. I didn't know Cid was supposed to be a southerner. I always figured Yuffie to be the Osakan in the group. Knowing this helps me accept the new accent more.

What's the word on that third bonus disc? Has Gamestop started distributing it yet?

How ya doing, buddy?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:13 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 05:13 PM #168 of 800
Originally Posted by a_nal
I would blame the quality of the download (assuming you did download it). Once you watch the much-higher-res version on DVD it shouldn't make you nearly as queezy.
Actually, I downloaded the full-quality deluxe DVD rip (the 13-gig one) and split it into multiple discs (i.e. no compression, no quality loss).

Watching in progressive scan on an HDTV still made me feel funky. Oh, well.

Watched the English clip. WTF, I thought they were reanimating mouths to match English VOs? Lazy bastards.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:00 PM #169 of 800
Originally Posted by Kairi Li
Cid is suppose to sound like a hick, cause in the Japan version he had a country Osaka accent. They stuck to the context despite the rather negative reactions from most fans, and I think that's brave of them to do.

One of my favorite scenes.....

Anyway, as far as Cid's concerned....Ummmm....you could tell he was a good ol' boy from the game. The way they translated his speech, and it's been a while since I played KH, but I seem to remember that type of voice.

Kadaj's voice was a little strange....Maybe because I've watched the thing a kajillion times.

Steve Burton? Hey, I like him on General Hospital, and he has a good voice for Cloud.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 06:58 PM #170 of 800
Originally Posted by a_nal

Interesting. I didn't know Cid was supposed to be a southerner. I always figured Yuffie to be the Osakan in the group. Knowing this helps me accept the new accent more.
I find it strange that FF7 fans can't tell that Cid lives in a place thats equivalent to country side in the real world... I pictured him in that accent when I played up to his village or town.

And like Leknaat said, the speech style used for Cid, with all that swearing among other things can easily be interpreted as a good ol' boy. The fact that Japanese Cid had a country accent helped. Its certainly not the casting director or voice actor or even the voice Director's fault that people fail to pick these things up despite that they're fans of Cid. I think some fans sometimes need to calm things down and think about WHY they chose to do it that way instead of complaining about it all the time.

Quote:
Watched the English clip. WTF, I thought they were reanimating mouths to match English VOs? Lazy bastards.
I'm sure that FMV style footage is harder to re render and re lipsync than PS2 in game graphics. KH2 FMVs re lip synced cause there's not alot of dialouge and there's only in the end, two FMVs that last for less than 15 mins.

This is a 1 and a half hour movie. There's no way they're gonna go back and re lipsync everything. A movie as big as this, not even the 7 month wait could have given enough time to re lipsync. Unless they did a the KH2 thing of localising almost at the same time as development of the Japanese version was going on. And even that is a long stretch.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Apr 14, 2006 at 10:08 PM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:13 PM #171 of 800
and one other thing, have you guys even see a "real" movie that they "tried" to re-sych themouth movement of the actor to match the dub >.> it'S exactly the same thing so stop complaining >.< (the only things to complain is why they take so long to dub it)

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:12 AM #172 of 800
It's possible they TRIED to re-synch the voices, and when the tests didn't pan out, they changed their minds.

Or, the whole thing could have been held up by Steve Burton. He IS on a soap opera, and they can have pretty hectic schedules--since it's filmed in New York.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:21 AM #173 of 800
I'm pretty sure it was either too expensive to resync all the lips, or they didn't want to shell out two versions of the same movie (one with japanese and lip synch, one with english and lip synch).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 12:23 AM #174 of 800
I think it was the later. Makes more sense, considering that the fans would have gone ape shit on SE/Sony if they didn't include the Japanese dub track on the DVD.

Oh and I was Blockbuster earlier tonight and saw the AC trailer being shown on the TVs there. So it looks like promotions are starting.

Last edited by Hantei; Apr 15, 2006 at 01:41 AM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 06:50 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 07:50 PM #175 of 800
Anybody else in this thread from Hong Kong? I was just down in HMV in Causeway Bay and saw that they have FFVII:AC on the shelves already. It's ditributed by ERA and according to the box, it's only for sale for the Hong Kong and Macau market. I was really surprised since I didn't think we would get it here until after the NA release.

The DVD has both Japanese and English soundtracks and subtitles in English, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian and a number of others. The main thing that caught my eye and stopped me from purchasing it was the fact that it was only 1 disc. The only extra included in the disc was the Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII, no commentary, trailers or deleted scenes were mentioned.

I couldn't find ERA's website (if they have one) but here's a site that is taking orders for the HK version. Unfortunately, it doesn't include much information on what is or isn't included on the disc.

http://www.sensasian.com/view/product.cgi/EN/V11118-D

Anyone else seen this around?

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread