Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:39 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 10:39 AM #351 of 800
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
I'm going through the movie getting screencaps of even more stuff I missed,
so look for that soon. It helps that the DVD can play in fullscreen, and allows me to see more 'hidden' stuff
As I said a week or so ago, I have done this, and now I have the time to actually present it. If I did any duplicates from wayy back then my bad.

Anyway, Take a look:
Spoiler:

First up at the beginning is a sign for 7th Heaven Bar, the only drink I could make out was Bourbon:

The Amino-D cola on Tifa's desk:

Turns out the kids drew Tifa and Cloud together. I like how Cloud is all >=| and tifa is drawn as all ^_^ by the kids.

On that note, another kid's drawing, this time of barret!

Right before the Bahamut fight, I saw this intriguing poster in the background, it seems to resemble Cloud's face/portrait a bit.

Everyone's favorite easter egg... I wonder if they call if the game console the PlayShinra? lol

Beginning of the movie again, a sign for something called 'New Honey" maybe a parlour shop?

close up of Elena's ID Card:

Inside the Bar, they apparently ward off Vampires

Jet Spice!

This is interesting for two reasons:
1. They name thier streets really weirdly.
2. They use American Weights and Measures, which is odd considering Japan uses Metrics, AKAIK

Another shot of the sign and "Silence Street" If you didn't notice, they go back and forth between Midgar and Midgul, phonetics/translation errors most likely.
You can also see a Loveless poster in the background... I didn't bother to see what it said, but
maybe you can

The W.R.O., now recruiting:

Behind Tifa you can make out Cloud's figure in the classic pose he's famous for

The Loveless Poster seen at the beginning of the movie:

I might have more later, but have fun with these for now

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dark Nation; May 3, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:03 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 02:03 PM #352 of 800
Originally Posted by Maria Gorokhova
What irked me about FF7:AC was the lack of actual storyline. Aside from the overly-dramatic fight scenes, there was no real plot development or character development. I would have expected to see more of Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie, etc.
Besides the rabid fan-stroking, FF:AC was just an extended DBZ episode...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 03:46 PM #353 of 800
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
At least tell us why you didn't like it. So we can flame you.;_;
I'll go into more detail when I have the time, but for now I'll just keep it general: the "story" was a joke, the pacing/editing was a nightmare, and none of the characters -- save Tifa -- are likeable in the movie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 02:35 AM #354 of 800
Originally Posted by Maria Gorokhova
What irked me about FF7:AC was the lack of actual storyline. Aside from the overly-dramatic fight scenes, there was no real plot development or character development. I would have expected to see more of Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie, etc.
I suppose they figured it just wouldn't be FF7 unless Cloud's annoying +2 SULLEN EMO BOY angst overshadowed all the other, much more interesting characters.

If you can ignore the fanfiction.net plot and lack of decent character development, pretty graphics and nostalgia can get you though at least one viewing the movie. The right subtitles can make it good for multiple viewings, especially if you're a bit jaded about it. If you can accept it for what it is -- pretty fanservice with no substance -- you'll do fine. I doubt it was trying to be any more than that. Unfortunately. It's just as well to make peace with that, turn your brain off, and be marginally content with watching pretty CGed people beat the crap out of each other for an hour and a half.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 07:38 AM #355 of 800
I think since the FF7 compliation series was announced, along with the spoiler trailers, one has to at least realised that all this IS just a way to cash in by milking FF7 off using products that look pretty and has no substance. I don't care what others say, DoC would NOT make good sales if it was an original title and not part of FF7.

I enjoyed FF7AC, as it is STILL more entertaining than the dismal Spirits Within, however, the story does lack plot, depth and development.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 12:46 PM #356 of 800
You should keep in mind that the original running time was only 60 minutes. It's not like they had room to insert much dialogue. What other choice did they have but to make sure all the characters got required screentime, AND do something useful? And despite the fact that it's FFVII, Square was still taking a big risk by making this movie, like they did with Spirits Within. The majority of fans want to see their favorite character in action, not sitting around and chatting all day.

Personally speaking, anyone who says AC was just mindless action is wrong. Above anything else, it gave proper closure to one character's emotional conflict that the original game failed to do. If you want more dialogue, wait for the inevitable finale (which, I've decided, should play out like FFVIII and focus more on the characters and their relationships, while the whole "saving the world" deal takes only second priority).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 01:00 PM #357 of 800
Originally Posted by Amanda
If you can ignore the fanfiction.net plot and lack of decent character development, pretty graphics and nostalgia can get you though at least one viewing the movie. The right subtitles can make it good for multiple viewings, especially if you're a bit jaded about it.
Ah, those.
I love that part where Cid made his first appearance and said "Whiskey and handjobs for all my men!"

Good stuff.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 06:28 PM #358 of 800
Originally Posted by Matt
Ah, those.
I love that part where Cid made his first appearance and said "Whiskey and handjobs for all my men!"

Good stuff.
"For I am Cid Highwind, Lord of the Skies!"

I've shown the parody version to two different groups of people, and Cloud's "Current mood: sad." moment seemed to get the biggest laugh both times. That and "BUREAUCRACY!!!!"

The parody version has utterly spoiled me, though. So much that I can barely watch the real version any more, because it just seems so damn boring in comparison. When I watched the dub, I kept half-expecting Vincent to start pimping Dirge of Cerberus ("DIRGE."), or for the dramatic final battle to happen against a discussion of hair care products, knitting, and plans to have coffee. Far more entertaining than the REAL plot, heh.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:38 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 04:38 PM #359 of 800
I'm sure this movie'll still be flamed if it approaches the more philosophical aspect of the story with very little actions and fancy motorbike sword fights. If S-E wanted deep plot, they might as well make a FF7 sequel rather than a movie.

FELIPE NO
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 07:50 PM #360 of 800
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
You should keep in mind that the original running time was only 60 minutes.
Wasn't that 20 minutes? Once upon a time ago...

As for substance, I agree that it's lacking. And I for one think that outsiders to FF7 will only notice/appreciate the movie's graphics and flashy fights (that's what drew others in, like my uncle). Heh, infact that's all I ever watch it for now, and I'm thankful for those assets. Explosions and flashy fights is what makes a movie worth rewatching to me.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:52 PM #361 of 800
The 20 minute feature was a completely different story. The story with Kadaj and co was 60 minutes.

I think I finally figured out

Spoiler:
the reason it's called "Omnislash v.5". The 5 probably represents the 5 different variations of the limit break. So what about 2-4? Think about Cloud's other appearaces.

FFVII: Omnislash
Ergheiz: Omnislash 2
Kingdom Hearts: Omnislash 3
Kingdom Hearts 2: Omnislash 4
Advent Children: Omnislash 5

The only snag is that AC predates KH2. But maybe they had KH2's Omnislash finished before AC's.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Soldier; May 4, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 12:27 AM #362 of 800
Originally Posted by Amanda
"For I am Cid Highwind, Lord of the Skies!"

I've shown the parody version to two different groups of people, and Cloud's "Current mood: sad." moment seemed to get the biggest laugh both times. That and "BUREAUCRACY!!!!"

The parody version has utterly spoiled me, though. So much that I can barely watch the real version any more, because it just seems so damn boring in comparison. When I watched the dub, I kept half-expecting Vincent to start pimping Dirge of Cerberus ("DIRGE."), or for the dramatic final battle to happen against a discussion of hair care products, knitting, and plans to have coffee. Far more entertaining than the REAL plot, heh.
Oh my God yes, Vincent's "DIRGE" whoring was awesome.

VINCENT: In 2006, you will reach new levels of intensity. DIRGE OF CERBERUS will rock you to your core.
Cloud: Dirge of...what?
Vincent: Allow me to expand your vocabulary. DIRGE:
Cloud: ...a funeral hymn or lament.
Vincent: CERBERUS: A three-headed hound guarding the entrance to Hades. What do you get when you combine the two? You get a DIRGE OF CERBERUS.

evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 03:04 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 01:04 AM #363 of 800
Originally Posted by Matt
Oh my God yes, Vincent's "DIRGE" whoring was awesome.

VINCENT: In 2006, you will reach new levels of intensity. DIRGE OF CERBERUS will rock you to your CRISIS CORE.
Better.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 04:47 PM #364 of 800
No, story would've wrecked it. Not that the original FF7 had a groundbreaking story or anything, but the game is so far removed from what Square has and does now that any advances they try to make with the characters would only go in the wrong direction, and upset the fanboys who finance this sort of thing.

Spoiler:

You can see it in how none of the SHM (I hate that acronym) survived, and how they half-assed killed Cloud and brought him back, and how they brought back Sephiroth just to kill him half-assed again (instead of making a foe equal or superior to him). Not to say the fight was bad, but because it wasn't final. Sorry, but it wasn't.

Personally I thought the movie suffered because they brought back the rest of the party. They deserved more exposure than one or two lines a person. That part felt like a sitcom reunion more than anything.

But since I wasn't expecting much more than awesome flashy things, I'm perfectly happy. What were you expecting anyway?

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 05:20 PM #365 of 800
Originally Posted by a lurker
No, story would've wrecked it. Not that the original FF7 had a groundbreaking story or anything, but the game is so far removed from what Square has and does now that any advances they try to make with the characters would only go in the wrong direction, and upset the fanboys who finance this sort of thing.

Spoiler:

You can see it in how none of the SHM (I hate that acronym) survived, and how they half-assed killed Cloud and brought him back, and how they brought back Sephiroth just to kill him half-assed again (instead of making a foe equal or superior to him). Not to say the fight was bad, but because it wasn't final. Sorry, but it wasn't.

Personally I thought the movie suffered because they brought back the rest of the party. They deserved more exposure than one or two lines a person. That part felt like a sitcom reunion more than anything.

But since I wasn't expecting much more than awesome flashy things, I'm perfectly happy. What were you expecting anyway?
I liked the movie. Not for story reasons, but for other reasons:

1) Sword fights. God, I LOVE sword fights. Don't ask me why. I just do.
2) (Keeping in mind I've only seen the Japanese version)--the VA for Kadaj is the same person who does Amano Ginji from GetBackers. It was interesting hearing him as a lunatic.
3) Reno and Rude. You have to feel sorry for Rude.......
4) The motorcycles.
5) Easter eggs (and a fanfare ringtone).
6) Cloud's sword. Whoever came up with that idea has my thanks.
and
7) The music! I have listend to the soundtrack at least once a day since I got it.

As for the story:
Spoiler:
Cloud's all angsty--again. He's being emo--again. He's being a loner--again. He's feeling guilty--wait--this is NEW! There are 3 baddies--ooooo--more newness! He's sick and could die---wow! He has a new sword made up of 6 swords--that's actually decent.
So, by the end of the movie, we have:
Cloud not guilty anymore.
One baddie becomes Sephiroth and gets his ass kicked by Cloud--alone (for the 3rd time) and two were beaten up earlier.
He's healed by Aerith's Water--not that he was fighting the illness much anyway. But--it was Kadaj's hotline to him....
He still has his swords.
BUT--the entire time he knew who he was. Bonus++.
There was a story--we just played it in game form many years ago. So, a_lurker, I agree with you that the story isn't final. They left open the possibility of others coming.

And, yes, the brief appearances of the others--except Tifa--was disappointing. However, that may have been a plot device. To prove that although he may not see them all the time--he still has friends. I dunno.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 05:50 PM #366 of 800
That sig is hilarious. Is Sephiroth dragging a squid behind him or is that supposed to be Jenova's head?

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:27 PM #367 of 800
I thought it was a squid at first, too. Then I realized that it's Jenova's head.

I like the picture, too.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:08 PM #368 of 800
No, it's a squid, but it REPRESENTS Jenova. It's a Jap thing, or maybe a-few-jap-sites thing. All I'm saying is that Sephiroth is probably morally against calamari.

Attached Images
File Type: png squid.png (111.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Sarag; May 5, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:15 PM #369 of 800
Originally Posted by Leknaat
And, yes, the brief appearances of the others--except Tifa--was disappointing. However, that may have been a plot device. To prove that although he may not see them all the time--he still has friends. I dunno.
Yeah, there's that. I didn't think of that.

At any rate, I kinda wish they went into more about why he was feeling guilty (I reckon he feels maybe slightly guilty about the state of the world in that his actions ultimately amounted to fuck-all) and more about what geostigma was, how it was affecting people, that sort of thing. Make it the new AIDS or some shit. I think that in spite of the compilation project they have going, they really don't want to make any definite changes to the world because it worked so well the first time. That's why Tseng and Rufus are back (although the way in which Rufus came back was great) and Cloud is still distant and weak.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:56 PM #370 of 800
Quote:
At any rate, I kinda wish they went into more about why he was feeling guilty (I reckon he feels maybe slightly guilty about the state of the world in that his actions ultimately amounted to fuck-all) and more about what geostigma was, how it was affecting people, that sort of thing.
You can find the answer here.

http://www.ff7ac.net/?s=pages/shorts/4

Quote:
That's why Tseng and Rufus are back (although the way in which Rufus came back was great) and Cloud is still distant and weak.
That should be spoiler tagged, but

Spoiler:
I'd say Rufus being alive would be considered a change to the story. And it's pretty obvious Cloud overcame his weakness and guilt by the movie's end. I'm told that despite a brief appearance, Cloud appears more confident in DoC.

And people are a bit mistaken when they say that the Cloud in AC is no different than the Cloud from the original game. That isn't really true. In the beginning, Cloud was basically an asshole. He was arrogant and lonesome, but he was distant or guilt-ridden. He becomes this way halfway through the game, after Aerith dies and he finds out about his past. He regains some confidence by the end of the game, but is clearly full of guilt again by AC. I don't think this was forced in order to milk the story, it's just a natural progression of Cloud's character. There was never a moment in the game where Cloud lets go of his past (you can blame the ending for that one).

Like I said before, the final story, whenever SE decides to end it, should focus on Cloud clearing away any problems he has left. Finally being able to settle down with Tifa and their "kids" without any regret should be the perfect way to end the series for good.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 12:13 AM #371 of 800
You can find the answer here.

http://www.ff7ac.net/?s=pages/shorts/4
Yes, that's all very good and interesting. It doesn't help someone watching the movie though.

Also, Cloud isn't the same, but he's very similar to how he behaved in the game. They were trying to recreate some of the appeal from FF7 and so they set things up to be very similar to FF7, even bringing folks back from the dead to do it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 12:17 AM #372 of 800
Well yeah, it would've been nice if the story was at least included on the DVD or summarized (especially since it tells you where Denzel came from, and why his prescence is significant). At least "Distance" describes the reason for Cloud's mood in better detail.

Despite some similarities, I still find AC Cloud a much more extreme case than game Cloud at his worst.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: May 6, 2006, 12:47 AM #373 of 800
Despite some similarities, I still find AC Cloud a much more extreme case than game Cloud at his worst.
Wait what? Why? For safety's sake, spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
Cloud, at his worst in the game, forgot who he was and fell into a coma, within which he was suffering from severe depression, mental trauma, repressed emotions and memories, and psychological disruption.

How is angst worse than THAT?! In my humble opinion, AC Cloud was quite a bit more loosened up than he was in the game, as evidenced by a few key things, most notably the sword in the ground and the wolf. From my perspective, that was him being able to recognize his past. The wolf, as per previous discussions, is a representation of his memories and emotions from two years ago.

At least in AC he wasn't torn up about who he really was -- he knew who he was, just didn't feel like he was the right person to protect anyone. In the game, he didn't even know who he was.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 02:05 AM #374 of 800
The situation you're describing was a result of Sephiroth's tampering. I don't really count that, as those events were beyond Cloud's control. And he didn't go completely mental on his own, it was the mako poisoning and mind control that did his brain in.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 03:47 AM #375 of 800
Originally Posted by a lurker
No, it's a squid, but it REPRESENTS Jenova. It's a Jap thing, or maybe a-few-jap-sites thing. All I'm saying is that Sephiroth is probably morally against calamari.
LOL--Mom is a squid?!

LMAO

Why Cloud was guilty is pretty simple:

"We let her die." He was right there, and there was nothing he could do about it. He even says that he "can't save anyone." But, if she hadn't died, then the planet couldn't have fought back, and Sephiroth would still be blocking the way....

God, Cloud is FF7's VASH.....(There had to be another way.)

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread