Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Must Own Games for the DS

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:19 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 08:19 PM #1 of 40
Must Own Games for the DS

So I've got a DS now, and not a whole lot of time to wade through mediocre/shitty games (of which the DS seems to have plenty).

What games are out there that I absolutely need to play? (I'm also extra interested in games I can sit down and play for just 20 minutes at a time, since that's mostly all I have nowadays.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:47 PM #2 of 40
Tetris DS and Planet Puzzle League are essential for those periods of killing 20 minutes at a time. Especially if you go the Wifi route and play 'em online. Tetris DS's 1P standard mode is different enough from previous games in any case, because of the way the lines set down and you can see a bunch of pieces that are upcoming. Mr. Driller is similarly a must.

And one oddball...Metroid Prime Pinball. Didn't expect much from this, but it really fits the bill for a game that offers cheap thrills in 15 minutes or less.

And there's that one package game that has Monopoly/Yahtzee/Boggle and Battleship on it. Very nice, especially with the touchscreen. I'm a Yahtzee whore, so that was sweet.

But I agree...There are a ton of crap games on the system that aren't worth 5 minutes of your time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Nov 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:48 PM #3 of 40
The great thing about the DS is that you can just flip it closed, no matter how much time you have to devote to a game. That being said, all of the Phoenix Wright games simply cannot be missed out on.

For fast plays, though, Meteos is fantastic, same with Picross and Mario Kart DS. Also if you're a Castlevania fan, both of the DS games are extremely fun.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Trance Machina
Do these clothes become me?

Member 3819

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:56 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 07:56 PM #4 of 40
If you can find it Wario Ware: Touched is another game you can just sit down and play for minutes at a time. Um, also if you're a fan of rythem games get Elite Beat Agents definitely. That's always a fun title.

For longer titles think about getting the Mega Man ZX titles as well as Final Fantasy 3. And since it can't be said enough, Phoenix Wright is just too good to pass up. It's probably one of the best series on the DS with replayability (for me anyways) set up high. And since it has a save anytime feature, it's definitely a time killer. Wasted a whole day playing Case 4 of the second game, pretty fun.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Currently Playing:Persona 3, .hack//G.U. vol 3, Wild ARMs 3, and Phantasy Star Universe (360).
I will beat a rod until a tank empties~
Chocojournal
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:03 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 05:03 PM #5 of 40
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Gallery of Labyrinth
Phoenix Wright 1, 2, 3 (Although I've only played 1, it's great)
Osu Tatakae Ouendan, Ouendan 2, Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Squeak Squad
Megaman ZX
Densetsu no Stafy 4
Daigasso! Band Brothers

Avoiding RPGs here.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:04 PM #6 of 40
So far, I completely agree with all the ones mentioned above. Especially Phoenix Wright.

I'll toss in Kirby: Canvas Curse. Definitely one of the most unique games for the DS. Really brought Kirby games into a new light. If you're into Pokemon, I'd recommend Pokemon: Diamond/Pearl. Both are fun and the Wi-Fi feature makes the game awfully fun.

If you need a quick fix game... I'd toss Wario Ware: Touched. Too damn quirky.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:09 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 09:09 PM #7 of 40
Tossing out a recommendation for Elite Beat Agents and/or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (and its sequel). If you hate rhythm/music games avoid like the devil, but otherwise check them out. Each round only lasts as long as the song, so you can play for as little or as long as you want. Another touchscreen-heavy game to try out would be Trauma Center. It doesn't take all that long to progress through each individual stage, but it may be difficult to return to if you keep putting it down (on account of difficulty going way up).

The king of short-but-addictive games is Puzzle Quest. It's Bejeweled with an RPG flair, and once you start it you instantly get sucked into the monotony of racking up mana and blowing up skulls.

Backing up the recommendation for Phoenix Wright / Ace Attorney games. They're actually one of the main reasons I bought a DS, and although I have a flash cart I actually own all 3 of the games released here (along with Mario Kart DS, which I bought while waiting for the flash cart to arrive). They're like an interactive book, so it's easy to start and stop it at your leisure. Plus you can save at nearly any point so you'll never have to lose data because you're in a hurry. If you like the series, you should also check out Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

FELIPE NO
Trance Machina
Do these clothes become me?

Member 3819

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:28 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 08:28 PM #8 of 40
If you like the series, you should also check out Hotel Dusk: Room 215.
I'll also throw in Trace Memory which is a previous game from the same publisher. A mystery/puzzle game that actually makes you think, some of the solutions were crazy sometimes. Plus they both have a really good story.

Puzzle solution:
Like looking at a picture frame, having to close the lid partially, then check the reflection of both sides to get a combination to a door?

Trace Memory was some good times. It doesn't help that it's also ridiculously cheap, I've been seeing it at Game Crazy brand new for $11.99.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Currently Playing:Persona 3, .hack//G.U. vol 3, Wild ARMs 3, and Phantasy Star Universe (360).
I will beat a rod until a tank empties~
Chocojournal
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:42 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 09:42 PM #9 of 40
Mario Kart DS and that Animal Crossing game are pretty fun to play.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:34 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 03:34 AM #10 of 40
You can't go wrong with Clubhouse Games. It's like 40 different games on one card, ranging from card games and board games to stuff like darts and bowling. Definitely very pickup and play, but you could be enthralled with it for hours if needed. And it has plenty of multiplayer types available as well (single card, multi card, online).

This game came out over a year ago and I still play it from time to time ('sup OLDK). Highly recommended.

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 05:56 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 AM #11 of 40
I've found myself devoting insane amounts of time to Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I'd say that it has more replayability than most other games on the console by a mile and a half.

Other games which have consumed far more time than is healthy: Clubhouse Games (aka 42 All-Time Classics), Contact, Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, Ace Attorney series.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:27 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 10:27 AM #12 of 40
I predict a bright future for LostSol.

This wouldn't be a bad topic to revive, though, since a number of new games have come out recently. Megaman ZX Advent is money, although it's continuing the series' trend of getting easier with each incarnation. I have to give Capcom credit, though, I actually found legitimate excuses to use most of the boss forms outside of the specific obstacles they're used for. It's been ages since the special weapons in a Megaman game were actually kind of useful.

How ya doing, buddy?
28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:28 AM #13 of 40
I haven't played much DS, but from my experience, quite a few have been listed above already, such as Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Mario Kart.

Other games I can recommend are Trauma Center and Bleach (especially if you like the franchise). Other games that kinda fit your requirements and seems fun (but I've never played) are Geometry Wars Galaxies and Jump Superstars, if you do imports or the R4 thing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:37 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:37 AM #14 of 40
I was always a sucker for puzzle games prior to getting my DS swiped last year but Meteos and TetrisDS were two of my favorite games on the DS. I had a lot of the ones already mentioned so I won't repeat those but if you're into puzzle games at all, those two are a no-brainer.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:57 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 10:57 AM #15 of 40
If you're a fan of Worms: Armegedon, Worms Open Warfare 2 does a good job of channeling the classicness that is Armegedon. I bought it knowing full well the fuck ups THQ has had with the Worms franchise but was more than pleasantly surprised with the quality of game therein. It makes a good sit down and play sort of thing, but rushing too much will end in frustration.

Also if you're looking for good story based stuff i second Pheonix Wright, Trace Memory, and Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:58 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:58 AM #16 of 40
Wait... There's a WORMS on the DS?

I have Worms on the Dreamcast

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:06 PM #17 of 40
Yep. There is. :|

Updating the list of must owns in my book, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is definite if you're a puzzle junkie. Mario Party DS for facing other people who have a DS in your area.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:12 PM #18 of 40
Wait... There's a WORMS on the DS?

I have Worms on the Dreamcast
Yeah, Worms Open Warfare 2 (not the first one) is excellent, almost on par with Armageddon. Since the online multiplayer support got dropped from the upcoming Wii game, this game is your best bet for solid Worms action.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:09 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 01:09 PM #19 of 40
And speaking of Worms, when the hell was our last OLDK session? I need an excuse to get back into the game again.

aesop
all out of time, all into space

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:13 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 12:13 AM #20 of 40
I still love Zoo Keeper. More than you know.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:24 PM #21 of 40
And speaking of Worms, when the hell was our last OLDK session? I need an excuse to get back into the game again.
Name the time and place, and I'm there.

Off topic, answer your questions already, slowpoke.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:38 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 05:38 PM #22 of 40
I've found myself devoting insane amounts of time to Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I'd say that it has more replayability than most other games on the console by a mile and a half.

Other games which have consumed far more time than is healthy: Clubhouse Games (aka 42 All-Time Classics), Contact, Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, Ace Attorney series.
Advance Wars: Dual Strike is a really fun play. However, the newest iteration of Advance Wars came out, Days of Ruin. Unfortunately, single-player wise, it is quite lacking (no more War Room or real unlockables), but they definitely shifted the emphasis to multiplayer, adding in Wifi support now.

I'd say Days of Ruin is worth a look for the actual gameplay and what seals the deal is the fun multiplayer addition.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 09:59 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:59 PM #23 of 40
Picross DS, Meteos - > awesome puzzle games.

New Super Mario Bros, Super Priness Peach - > Must-have platformers.

Animal Crossing: Wild World - > Amazing time waster (it's really quite fun and you can play it for a few minutes at a time or for a long time and enjoy it.)

Mario Kart DS - > for obvious reasons.

Most amazing jew boots
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.

Last edited by Guru; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:13 PM #24 of 40
OMG, not a single mention of Contra 4. Get it. Now.

I also enjoy the following games that nobody else has mentioned so far:

Star Fox Command. Others may not agree with me, but this game is 1000000000000x better than Star Fox Assault and goes back to its roots.

Jump Ultimate Stars for the online play and er, lots of Shonen characters and crap. Plus, summonmaster will love you.

Digimon World Dawn (only get if you're a huge Digimon fan like me)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:47 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 11:47 PM #25 of 40
Name the time and place, and I'm there.

Off topic, answer your questions already, slowpoke.
Maybe a bit short notice, but I'd be up for it tomorrow, about 10PMish your time. If that's not doable, then maybe we can do it at the same time next week.

And yeah, I had actually started on the questions on the first day, but I got sidetracked by school and Ninja Gaiden Sigma (basically the only thing I've been doing in my free time, which isn't much). I'll definitely have them answered by the end of this weekend.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Must Own Games for the DS