Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I didn't develop taste until after High School

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:27 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 02:27 PM #1 of 36
I didn't develop taste until after High School

So I was cleaning out some old drawers and stumbled upon the Holy Grail of embarassments. Old mix cds. From junior high and high school. About 8 of them, with no tracklistings to be found. I knew what I had to do.

"I wonder what I was listening too bad then. How bad could it be?"

Bad.

Some of the more questionable choices include:

Will Smith - Freakin' It
Korn - Freak on a Leash
Sisqo - Thong Song
Britney - Oops I did it Again
Desitny's Child (what the hell?) - Say my Name
Blink 182 - Lots and lots.
Green Day - Lots and lots.
Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch (alright, this song is just awful)
DMX - something that has alot of barking in it
Creed - My Sacrifice
Five - Everybody Get Up (I think these guys may have been Canadian only. I pray that they were. This is the single worst song here)
Lots and lots of Eminem. Lots.
Tracii Lords - Control (the song from the Mortal Kombat movie when they fight Reptile)
Papa Roach - Last Resort
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Nelly - Ride wit' Me

Oh god. It's like a trainwreck of popular music.

So what can you recall liking in your younger days that today to realize was absolute garbage? Do you have some old mix cds somewhere? Dig them out, and share in the horrible horrible memories.

Shaggy? Really? :frown:

Most amazing jew boots

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:30 PM #2 of 36
Holy shit that CD is awesome. Its like you took everything funny about highschool and put it on a single CD.

Requesting a torrent of Highschool OST.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:31 PM #3 of 36
Out of that lot, in my opinion, only Freak on a Leash (because of the video), Bad Touch (I liked it. Meh) and possibly Blink are forgiveable. The rest is shameful.

As for me, Steps and S Club 7. The embarrassment may now ensue.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 02:32 PM #4 of 36
Originally Posted by Majin yami
Out of that lot, in my opinion, only Freak on a Leash (because of the video), Bad Touch (I liked it. Meh) and possibly Blink are forgiveable. The rest is shameful.

Hey, there ain't no party like an S Club party.

gonna show you hooooow~~~

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 01:37 PM #5 of 36
I have an old mix CD from high school but it's not as embarassing as that. It has Brian Duque (he did a couple of video game covers before I really got into them), Minibosses, Sonic Mayhem (they did the music for Quake II), Pantera, Meshuggah, KMFDM, Queens of the Stone Age, Metallica, Liquid Tension Experiment and Led Zeppelin. I still pretty much listen to all of those bands.

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:50 PM #6 of 36
There's a couple groups on that list that, while not being paragons of awesomeness, aren't wholly bad. I can still tolerate Shaggy in small doses. His style is different enough to keep him out of the pop gutter, in my opinion. That said, I enjoyed him more when he was with Maxi Priest.

I wouldn't punish yourself too much over the Green Day either. Years ago, they were actually a fairly respectable group. By all accounts, 'Dookie' was a good album and it didn't try to play to any crowd. They just got whored out like nobody's business after the initial success. Frankly, I don't consider the current incarnation with their mascara and silk ties to be the same group. They're like "Pod People Green Day".

Wasn't Five the born-again Christian version of Backstreet Boys? My aunt used to be a fundamentalist Christian and would only permit my cousins to listen to Christian music. During one visit, the oldest cousin wouldn't shut up about that Five group, which leads me to believe they were steeped in religion.

Me, I didn't have too much that's incriminating. And if I listened to it then, chances are I'll still listen to it now. Fuck what people think of me. I'm pretty sure I still have the following floating around somewhere:

Aqua
Sixpence None the Richer
Chumbawamba
Lou Bega (this was given to me; I didn't buy it.)
Real McCoy

I could think of much worse than those.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:52 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 03:52 PM #7 of 36
You will not tarnish the good name of Sisqo. Anyone who can compare himself to a dragon with a straight face deserves props.

Dumps like a truck, truck, truck.

I think Disturbed, Static X, Linkin Park, and System of a Down are the only popular-type music I was listening to at the time. Of course, that was before Toxicity, so SOAD hadn't reached pop idol status yet.

"Suggestions" for the win. <3

FELIPE NO
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:11 PM #8 of 36
Originally Posted by acid
Five - Everybody Get Up (I think these guys may have been Canadian only. I pray that they were. This is the single worst song here)
[/size]
English actually, and proudly so! Its a great pop track.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:16 PM #9 of 36
Um, the four or five Nine Inch Nails CDs that I purchased back in high school probably qualify. It's not that I don't like the music, but holy shit, it's just not me, and it's really weird to see that stuff in the middle of my music collection.

I also have three Kylie Minogue remix CDs. I liked and still like Kylie, but these are just horrible remixes. The world does not need a 9-minute version of "The Locomotion," and I'm sorry I gave money to whoever made it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 12:20 AM #10 of 36
I had an old C-cassette with songs recorded from MTV music videos, like old Lenny Kravitz (Mister Cab Driver), Public Enemy, Rebel MC and Fleetwood Mac.
No tracklist, but I'd written a large "YO MAN, GOOD" with a felt-tip pen on the cover. Ah, how I've learned more english words since then~

I'd also recorded Mega Man music from my Gameboy on another tape. You could hear me turning the console on and the ching of the Nintendo logo.

Though I found it far more embarrassing that I had the first Spice Girls album recorded on tape and I had even drawn the cover myself, with a kind of doodled "Includes the smash hits:" sticker on it.

But I have no Ace of Base albums or tapes. And everyone in my class had Ace of Base. And E-rotic. I also have never had E-rotic albums, which I'm slightly proud of.

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:29 PM #11 of 36
Originally Posted by Majin yami
Ditto, I actually saw Steps in concert >_>

Spice Girls, Steps, S Club 7, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera oooh the joy. Still, i'm not ashamed to get out those good ol' compilations and think of the good old days when you could know the dance from a pop video and be cool.

5ive =

British, came out with a few chart toppers but are easily laughed at now.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:41 PM #12 of 36
Originally Posted by Sian
Ditto, I actually saw Steps in concert >_>

Spice Girls, Steps, S Club 7, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera oooh the joy. Still, i'm not ashamed to get out those good ol' compilations and think of the good old days when you could know the dance from a pop video and be cool.

5ive =

Haha, I actually have that CD somewhere I think. Used to think it was so awesome...

I was digging through my old tapes and I found one with random songs recorded off the radio, and of the few names I can remember, Suga Babes, Christine Aguilera, and Simply Red... There are plenty of tracks on there that I don't even know the name of the artist or the song, but it's a completely random collection of 80's songs and a few from one of my brother's Creamfields CDs. It was so funny finding all that stuff; I'd forgotten half of the songs even existed.

How ya doing, buddy?
acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 03:42 PM #13 of 36
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
Which one? I realized how bad the music in II was.

There's a 5ive from Britain, which would actually be pronounced five-ive, which claimed they were edgier than the average boy band, and a 5ive from Boston, that was apparently rock/metal. No Christian band called Five or anything.
It was 5ive. The bad backstreet boys one. Not metal one.

Oh god.

I was speaking idiomatically.

the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:43 PM #14 of 36
Were they the ones with that "When the Lights Go Out" song? I remember seeing the video on MTV once a long time ago.

Ahaha, I just found lyrics.

Quote:
When I flick da switch
Make your hips wanna dip
Now I can get you off
Cos I'm ready and equipped now
Is it edgy? It's something, all right!

1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:52 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:52 PM #15 of 36
Baby when the lights go out....something something express.

Yeah I loved that song it was cool ;_;. I was too young to know what the lyrics were telling me. It sorta freaks me out thinking that little girls used to sing songs like "2 become 1" by the Spice Girls. Naughty stuff man.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:53 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 03:53 PM #16 of 36

Ouch.

Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 10:54 PM #17 of 36

I like how the far left one looks gay, the centre left one looks like he should be in jail for mugging old ladies, the middle one looks like cannon fodder for the army and the other two just don't fit at all.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 06:57 PM #18 of 36
In elementary school, I had tapes of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. Oh god.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 08:08 PM #19 of 36

They were easily laughable then. Apparently they were created by the same guys who made the Spice Girls. And another manufactured pop group goes bust.

I actually used to be a big fan of Offspring's Americana album, but never purchased any thing else from them or bother to look into the rest of the discography. Pretty Fly For a White Guy is a personal guilty pleasure.

Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:58 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 08:58 PM #20 of 36
I liked Ace of Base (Bass?) for a while. Too bad for me.

I still like maybe one or two Green Day songs from their new albums, but I used to like most of them. They were pretty great.

What else is embarrassing? Well, I liked Paula Abdul. Ouch -- that one hurt me a little. I must say that humans interacting with cartoons on video was like holographic 3D imaging back then. I remember singing along to Wilson Phillips. Oh, shit. Also: Amy Grant, Sugar Ray, Spin Doctors, Duncan Sheik, and Duran Duran.

For shame.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:18 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 09:18 PM #21 of 36
Originally Posted by of pom
Holy shit that CD is awesome. Its like you took everything funny about highschool and put it on a single CD.

Requesting a torrent of Highschool OST.
Pom took the words right out of my mouth.

Since my High School was from 2000-2004, that pretty much
will sum up that I too didn't develop an appreciation until my last year of high school, and I didn't have much knowlege about VGM until I joined in 2002-2003 (Sophmore year).

I second the Torrent Request.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:29 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 10:29 PM #22 of 36
Originally Posted by acid
So I was cleaning out some old drawers and stumbled upon the Holy Grail of embarassments. Old mix cds. From junior high and high school. About 8 of them, with no tracklistings to be found. I knew what I had to do.

"I wonder what I was listening too bad then. How bad could it be?"

Bad.

Some of the more questionable choices include:

Will Smith - Freakin' It
Korn - Freak on a Leash
Sisqo - Thong Song
Britney - Oops I did it Again
Desitny's Child (what the hell?) - Say my Name
Blink 182 - Lots and lots.
Green Day - Lots and lots.
Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch (alright, this song is just awful)
DMX - something that has alot of barking in it
Creed - My Sacrifice
Lots and lots of Eminem. Lots.
Tracii Lords - Control (the song from the Mortal Kombat movie when they fight Reptile)
Papa Roach - Last Resort
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Nelly - Ride wit' Me

Oh god. It's like a trainwreck of popular music.

So what can you recall liking in your younger days that today to realize was absolute garbage? Do you have some old mix cds somewhere? Dig them out, and share in the horrible horrible memories.

Shaggy? Really? :frown:

5ive?! motherfucking 5ive? They had that song "when the lights go out" and it was in a bowling alley. Holy hell, acid. Props galore.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Gratch
Not at my post

Member 7140

Level 8.23

May 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:35 PM #23 of 36
If it makes you feel any better, I actually purchased a Vanilla Ice cassette in high school, along with a ton of horrid rap & hip-hop albums. Color Me Badd, Bell Biv Devoe, Kool Moe Dee, Young MC...to name a few.

Good God, what was I thinking?

/hangs head in shame
//cranks some Jesus Lizard to dull the painful memories

FELIPE NO
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:39 PM #24 of 36
That list is bad, but i've seen worse. hell, i started out on my musical journey listening to shitty visual kei acts and fuckin'

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 08:53 PM #25 of 36
There's an awful CD single I have from high school called "Peanut Butta" by Scarlet Letter. I didn't know who the singer/group was, or what year the single came out on, but an old friend of mine and I bought it one night because the cover was amusing. I don't think they even have this on Amazon.

As for embarrassing mix tapes, I have one from years ago that a friend gave me by "2gether," the parody boyband from MTV.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > I didn't develop taste until after High School