Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Most Wanted 2009. Worms 2 Armageddon or GTFO

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:14 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 12:14 PM #1 of 60
Most Wanted 2009. Worms 2 Armageddon or GTFO

Most people are probably still recovering from the Q4 flood of 2008 and all the games they got over Christmas and in the holiday sales, but it's 2009 and so time to start getting excited for the future. I've already read a few comments saying that 2009 could be a bit dry on the gaming front (including one from Skills' favourite Peter Molyneux), but I'm always ready for a nice surprise.

Even so, there's already a couple of games I'm excited about or looking forward to. Street Fighter IV is an obvious starting point, and Uncharted 2 I'm quite excited about. I also have my fingers crossed that we see the English version of Professor Layton 2 this year.

So how about everyone else, what are you looking forward to in '09? What do you hope gets a release, or are you most excited about arriving, do tell.

To help you out, here are some random titles that come to mind that will apparently see the light of day in 2009: APB, Bioshock 2, FEAR 2, God of War III, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Wars, H.A.W.X., Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, MadWorld, Resident Evil 5, Skate 2 and others.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Capcom Lord
Banned

Member 32644

Level 3.31

Jan 2009

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:04 AM #2 of 60
I just got a Wii for Christmas, mostly for the wife and kids, but I'm looking forward to Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop. By looking at the screenshots over at GameFAQs, it looks pretty damn wicked. Some people might say it's a Resident Evil clone... Hell whatever, I don't care.

Also, it would be nice to see a stateside release of Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen (a.k.a. Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) for the Wii. I have the jap version, but it would be nice to understand the story and what's going on.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"The way. The truth. The life."
Softmod and Hack your Wii

Currently playing:
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen - Wii
Mega Man 9 - Wii
Sonic Unleashed - Wii
Fate/Unlimited Codes - PS2
Phantasy Star Universe - PS2
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:06 AM #3 of 60
Huxley (PC, 360) - Other than some occasional TF2 once in a while I rarely play a FPS that has anything more than just some shootan, killan, and a mediocre story that somewhat keeps the mind in check. After seeing a trailer on South Korea's MBC game channel for this title it had me interested, granted it was pre-rendered CG but the visual style and (upon later researching) the class system in this MMOFPS makes it seem worthwhile (especially for the 360 exclusive singleplayer campaign).

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360) - Not much I can say which hasn't already been said by every fanboi on the internet but this is such a franchise that doesn't go without something unique in just about every title.

Starcraft II (PC) - Putting aside Blizzard's strategy in releasing different campaigns at various times for the three specific races the real focus will be if the multiplayer can stand up to it's legendary predecessor, not to mention the balance system should be well worked at the time of launch (or updated, hell, Brood War is still being updated even to this day). The alleged re-vamp of battle.net is expected to come with this release, I'll hope it's not something too different and something along the lines of Steam.

Halo Wars (360) - Going into a RTS from a FPS is quite a turn for a loved franchise however handled by Ensemble who knows the genre quite well I have full faith that this wont be a complete waste of time, even though the RTS genre rarely touches consoles as it is and given that Halo is considered a party game it's rather difficult to have two players trying to face each other when the screen is visible to both players.

beatmaniaIIDX 16: Empress (CS) (PS2) - The CS IIDX releases over the years have improved over time but never disappointing to say the least that it mirrors their arcade counterparts with the usual added songs and a few other extras that get added in. It's still the same clackan and scratchan on the same seven keys and turntable but the influx of original music time and time keeps myself coming back (sparingly, as for this wont be out until November/ December).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:09 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 01:09 PM #4 of 60
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
I said what are you looking forward to being released in 2009, not 2019.

Capcom Lord: Dead Rising may have Capcom and zombies, but it's nothing like Resident Evil. It is, however, an awesome game and if they've done a good job with the port to the Wii it should be worth a look.

How ya doing, buddy?
Capcom Lord
Banned

Member 32644

Level 3.31

Jan 2009

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:12 AM #5 of 60
Capcom Lord: Dead Rising may have Capcom and zombies, but it's nothing like Resident Evil. It is, however, an awesome game and if they've done a good job with the port to the Wii it should be worth a look.
Oh, I'm not complaining at all. I'm just going by what other people have said and told me. It does look pretty sweet though and I do plan on picking it up when it is released.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"The way. The truth. The life."
Softmod and Hack your Wii

Currently playing:
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen - Wii
Mega Man 9 - Wii
Sonic Unleashed - Wii
Fate/Unlimited Codes - PS2
Phantasy Star Universe - PS2
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:27 AM #6 of 60
I forgot to give MadWorld a mention, for the Wii the processing power just isn't there to render hi-def graphics which in return can deliver a visual style is unique and over the top, lets just hope the controls (given no motion sensor support, for the best) are unique as the visuals.

I said what are you looking forward to being released in 2009, not 2019.
Good thing I didn't mention Diablo 3.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:57 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 07:57 AM #7 of 60
I'm stoked for Madworld, Resident Evil 5 and Heavy Rain (even though my owning of a PS3 is unlikely). Madworld, for the reasons stated above, Heavy Rain cause i loved Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy), and RE5 cause i'm such a fanboy. I am, however, a little worried about RE5, as it looks less and less like what RE is supposed to be about with every game that's released. The most recent trailer i've seen has it going the rout of the epic blockbuster action movie, complete with love story. I would say RE4 is about as far down the action game road as you can get before you start losing what RE is all about.

What i'm most excited about, however, is announcements. I'd really like to hear about some up coming titles, possibly coming out when i'm not completely broke. I'm basically holding out for another Zelda announcement, wondering if Nintendo will follow up on their statement regarding Zelda becoming a series "more like Waverace".

FELIPE NO
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:10 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 10:40 AM #8 of 60
well I've got quite a few pre-orders for the 2009 season.

1.) Street Fighter IV (PS3/360): I've never been one for fighting games but with how beautiful this game looks it was rekindled my interest into fighting game genre once again. I just can't wait to sit down and play it. Here's hoping GFF will probably have a couple of tournaments or something along those lines. I'll do horribly but at least it'll be a good bit of fun.

2.) Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP): I already own the original game for the PS, but there is something great about this game that I'm willing to get it for the PSP. To be honest I haven't even played the game but my wife on the other hand has beaten it and I've watched her play it from time to time. I guess you can't really call yourself a hardcore rpg gamer until you attempt to beat two of the hardest jrpg bosses of all time.

3.) Ar Tonelico II (PS2): I haven't played the first one. I know its probably your standard generic JRPG but I think the series involves dating female characters and since I had so much fun playing thousand arms, I'm sure this will probably be a fun little jrpg

There are a few others games I'm interested in getting mainly for the DS that are coming out this year and those games are:

1.) Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
2.) Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
3.) Suikoden Tierkreis (I'm not entirely sure if this is going to be released in North America in 2009, but I would assume so)

Yeah I'm an rpg gamer.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:03 AM #9 of 60
Lord of the Rings: Conquest - To be blunt it's Star Wars Battlefront, but Lord of the Rings. So some changes to make melee a much bigger part of the game.

Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection - It'll save me money on VC/XBLA games and I can skip previous collections.

That's sadly all I care about this year. For money reasons and because I just have too many games piled up I haven't even started playing yet.

"Out thought and out fought."
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:34 AM #10 of 60
Fuck yes Bioshock 2.

I kind of hope H.A.W.X. works out, it'd be nice to see AC actually get some decent competition for once, and it'd give us an another flight game to play online.

#654: Braixen
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:51 AM #11 of 60
I'm on the out with forthcoming video game news so I can only profess to being interested in two things:

1.) Forthcoming Indiana Jones Game
2.) DLC for Left 4 Dead

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:55 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 04:55 PM #12 of 60
I kind of hope H.A.W.X. works out, it'd be nice to see AC actually get some decent competition for once, and it'd give us an another flight game to play online.
The one issue I see with H.A.W.X. as far as you and Skills are concerned is I'm pretty sure I saw a dev diary type thing where they were saying that they've made it use a fixed external camera.

Also, LeHah: that forthcoming Indiana Jones game has been forthcoming for about 4 years or so no, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 2009 release. But then again, you never know.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:57 AM #13 of 60
Also, LeHah: that forthcoming Indiana Jones game has been forthcoming for about 4 years or so no, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 2009 release. But then again, you never know.
I have it on very good authority its still in the chute, despite Lucasarts cuts.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:59 AM #14 of 60
Skate 2: This drops in like a week and a half so I don't have a lot of time to kill haha. I fucking LOVED Skate, the first skateboarding game since THPS2 that I've sank so much time in. I literally played it all of 07 and a quarter of 06 haha.

Street Fighter IV: I was EXTREMELY skeptical when this was first announced. I'm completely sold at this point. So much so, I have the $150 TE arcade stick on pre-ordered =O. You fools better get it for 360.

Bionic Commando: I loved BCR way more than I expected to. Like, WAY more. In GRIN I trust. I'm willing to take the $60 risk on this one.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: "It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself."

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:03 PM #15 of 60
The one issue I see with H.A.W.X. as far as you and Skills are concerned is I'm pretty sure I saw a dev diary type thing where they were saying that they've made it use a fixed external camera.

Yeah that's kind of shit. I don't mind it just being external since I never really used the internal function in AC unless I was doing a tunnel run or some such, but fixed? Sounds like full throttle gayness.

Then again you never know until you try it.

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:21 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 10:21 AM #16 of 60
I'll probably be more excited for titles as I get more info for some of them. At the moment I'm warming to Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV and perhaps MadWorld. Another game that's coming out very soon is Star Ocean: Second Evolution for the PSP which is, yeah, an enhanced remake but its always been one of my favorite games so I'm getting that.

I haven't really been excited about a Skating games since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, but I'll check out the Skate 2 demo and go from there. I also noticed when looking for a list of upcoming games that Phantasy Star Portable is supposed to come out this year, which has garnered my interest. Other titles like Halo Wars or HAWX and Skate 2 as I mentioned above, I'd have to play a Demo first to get a real idea of "Will I get this" or not. Bionic Commando I had no idea was coming out this year, seemed like they announced it and then... nothing, but if it IS coming out this year then I'd like to get that too if I can.

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:30 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 11:30 AM #17 of 60
I really hope the new professor Layton game comes out here - totally psyched for more puzzling.

Also looking forward to the new Fire Emblem game for DS.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:28 PM #18 of 60
Only one game registers on my radar:

Punch Out! Wii - I'm a fan of the old NES and SNES games and have been eagerly awaiting another entry in the series. The Wii should provide an experience that's unlike the former games but still remain true to the learn-the-pattern-and-counter strategy. It'll be cool to see the veteran boxers like King Hippo, Dragon Chan and Mister Sandman again, as well as maybe some new fighters. Honestly, I hope it has some better depth, maybe a larger roster of opponents or more variety in the punches. So far it looks like a promising title.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:36 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 12:36 PM #19 of 60
Halo Wars (360) - ... that Halo is considered a party game it's rather difficult to have two players trying to face each other when the screen is visible to both players.
Do you even hear yourself talk? Seriously. There is no local multi for any console RTS for such obvious reasons. There won't be there either. Uh...duh?

Moreover, I was more scared about H.A.W.X.'s ENHANCED REALITY SYSTEM or whatever the fuck they called it. At first, no one ever said anything about being able to turn that shit off, and the whole idea of it locking you in on a target and giving you all those stupid lanes and gates to follow to intercept stuff is kinda annoying. It also apparently has anti-crash and anti-stall bullshit so it's somehow holds your hand the ENTIRE FUCKING WAY, which is bullshit.

Luckily it looks like all that shit can be ditched, so maybe the thing is salvageable after all. There's also, luckily, a 1st person option. At least according to a Gamespy interview from this past year's E3. Let's hope that wasn't scrapped, because if it forces you outside or to use that god forsaken long-distance camera that shows both you and the target, I'll be ragin'. Hell, that's practically a deal breaker. There's a lot that looks wrong with it right off the bat thanks to these retarded features but here's hoping, since I'm really interested in that real world geography stuff they're doing with all that satellite imagery. That's a really awesome idea. Unfortunately, Ubisoft Romania has proven that they like to make shitballs flyers like Blazing Angels so my confidence ain't too high here.

For myself, Toku nailed two of the four.

Bionic Commando, only because GRIN nailed Rearmed so well, and because man that swinging mechanic looks both deliciously difficult and superbly AWESOME to do in the environments they've shown. I hope it's as fun as it looks hard, it'd be nice to play something challenging again.

Street Fighter 4 is looking awesome, for obvious reasons. Still unsure of what I'm getting the stick for, triple or circle, but only because I'm concerned where else I'll be able to easily use it.

OutRun Online Arcade: I already came fourteen times at the announcement. I don't care if it's a port of C2C or not, that's still awesome. Especially since the max they'd charge for it is 15 dollars. Magical Sound Shower here we come.

IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey is apparently able to be as simmish (or close to) as the older PC series entry, and I had no idea this was even coming until recently. Shows how much attention I pay, huh. But hell yeah, this could be the exact opposite of HAWX's bullshit in the worst case scenario, so here's hoping it lives up to it's name.

Most amazing jew boots
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:02 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 01:02 PM #20 of 60
Not many people are talking about this one, but I'm actually looking forward to Resistance: Retribution. I'm currently playing through Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror on the PSP, and out of all the games and demos I've played on the system so far it's hands down the best. R:R is being developed by the same people (Sony Bend) who made the PSP SF games, so undoubtedly I'm excited for a game that plays similarly but is in a franchise I actually like (I was never a fan of SF back in the PS1 days, and if it wasn't for the demo I probably wouldn't be playing this one). I'm also intrigued by the functionality it's supposed to have with R2, including this new 'PSP Plus' feature (it does kinda sound like it defeats the purpose of the game being on a handheld, but it'll still be interesting to try out nonetheless).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:32 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 02:32 PM #21 of 60
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, and FFXIII are probably the only games I am looking forward to at this point, since Splinter Cell: Conviction seems to be on hold.

Maybe Star Ocean 4, but I skipped out on the third, and I am backlogged on RPGs on the 360, so I probably wouldn't play it right away anyway.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:50 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 01:50 PM #22 of 60
You'd actually benefit from not playing SO3. The lack of knowledge of it's plot makes everything that happens in SO4 not totally irrelevant.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:53 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 02:53 PM #23 of 60
I'm the only one who thinks Street Fighter looks terrible...meh.

Uhh:

Resident Evil 5
Dragon Quest 9 (if they ever get around to it)
MadWorld
God of War

That's pretty much it. I reserved a few others, but its looking pretty meh.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:13 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 09:13 PM #24 of 60
Where are people getting this idea that FFXIII is going to see a release this year. In Japland maybe (maybe), but not in the rest of the world. If it does see an English release in '09, well I'll eat my hat. I mean what's next, people listing Gran Turismo 5?

Lukage: Get out of here, SFIV looks fantastic, why lie.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:27 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 03:27 PM #25 of 60
My most wanted right now is Ar Tonelico II and thankfully I only have a few more weeks to wait.

The only other announced game I'm looking forward to this year is Starcraft II though I won't be surprised when this gets delayed into 2010.

Sadly nothing announced for the new consoles in 2009 has been very interesting to me. Hopefully we'll get some early year announcements and that will change. I hear a Valkyria Chronicles followup isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Most Wanted 2009. Worms 2 Armageddon or GTFO