Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Silent Hill: Homecoming. Now with HD fog effects

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:26 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2008, 07:26 PM #1 of 35
Silent Hill: Homecoming. Now with HD fog effects

Is anyone interested in this? I mean it comes out tomorrow and no one is discussing it. I believe it got a 6.5 / 10 from Official XBox Magazine.

Here's some quick facts:

-Released on XBOX360, PS3 & PC.
-It is not being developed by Team Silent, but by The Collective, a California based game developing company.
-Pyramid Head returns.
-Aimed to be like SH2.
-Akira Yamaoka is still doing the OST.

Silent Hill: Homecoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Team Silent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Akira Yamaoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collective,_Inc.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Last edited by Andrew Evenstar; Oct 3, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:46 PM #2 of 35
Well, I don't know when I'm getting this, but I'm more interested in it than RE5. Something's wrong with me or something. Maybe I just <3 SH so much and am perfectly willing to overlook/bitch about the downsides and still enjoy the game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:54 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2008, 08:54 PM #3 of 35
I am looking forward to this more than RE5 as well. I'm a huge fan of both series but I like SH more because of it's creepiness, music, and atmosphere. Storyline as well.

However, I see no way that SH5 will be better than RE5. So SH5 will be a download for me, if it's good I will buy it. I do own SH2, 3, and 4 and still trying to get SH1.

How ya doing, buddy?
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:56 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 05:56 AM #4 of 35
I found the trailers very interesting. I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill series, played all parts except Origins (PSP only I think). Also found the movie very good.

I'm definitely getting the soundtrack, but I don't think my machine is going to handle the game. And I still have F.E.A.R on my list of games to play

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:58 PM #5 of 35
Origins got a port to PS2. I'm going through it for extra endings now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:59 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2008, 10:59 PM #6 of 35
I found the trailers very interesting. I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill series, played all parts except Origins (PSP only I think). Also found the movie very good.

I'm definitely getting the soundtrack, but I don't think my machine is going to handle the game. And I still have F.E.A.R on my list of games to play
it's on the PS2 as well.

Also, I can't wait for this game. I've at least enjoyed, if not outright loved, each version of this title. Creepy at its finest.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:03 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 06:03 AM #7 of 35
Too bad pcsx2 won't work with my gfx card

FELIPE NO
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:21 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 07:21 AM 1 #8 of 35
It somehow arrived a lot faster than I thought it would.
Though I fear it'll disappoint greatly, more so than 4 did.
I'm actually a very big fan of the series, but... Let's face it, the last truly outstanding iteration was part 3. Part 4 was trying too hard to do things diffrently, which worked in some ways and failed miserably in others. I haven't played Origins, but the reviews basically said that it was just lacking innovation, and while not being a really bad game it wasn't supposed to be good either.
So what about Homecoming? It's got the right looks, though it seems a bit on the not-so-pretty side in this day and age. Also it conjured up angry fanboi rage when it became clear that they used Pyramid Head without James being there AND not even the game version but the *gasp* movie version, which obviously means the game isn't true to it's origins and a total sellout. Also the transistions between misty Silent Hill and Nightmare Silent Hill seem more akin to what it looked like in the movie than to what the games did so far. SELLOUT the fans scream!
I for my part don't. Yes, Pyramid Head was closesly tied to James in SH2. But that doesn't mean that it can't appear in another context. And if it looks like the movie version... So what? It's not like the movie version looked BAD. It's still good old Pyramid Head.
There are much more important things to the game. Like... Having a real bitch of a narrative to show for. Like SH2. And wrapping that narrative in good gameplay, which hopefully is a modernized version of the traditional Silent Hill gameplay. Like... Having an apartment complex with no loading zones. That alone would be a pretty neat improvement I think.
Will I buy it? Sadly, I don't think so. Not right now anyway. But that's more of an personal issue, I don't have the time for it right now. Maybe sometime next year... This "christmas season" (=> mid October - mid November) is too tightly packed with titles which just interest me a lot more. But who knows, maybe overall praise by fans and critics alike will change my mind...

Most amazing jew boots
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:31 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 01:31 PM #9 of 35
Man, I've played all of the SH games except for Origins, and if I have PS3 I would be playing this game too.

Well, I'll probably wait for a few more years before I can play this game. But personally, I think the SH games started failing after SH3.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:39 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2008, 09:39 PM #10 of 35
It somehow arrived a lot faster than I thought it would.
Though I fear it'll disappoint greatly, more so than 4 did.
I'm actually a very big fan of the series, but... Let's face it, the last truly outstanding iteration was part 3. Part 4 was trying too hard to do things diffrently, which worked in some ways and failed miserably in others. I haven't played Origins, but the reviews basically said that it was just lacking innovation, and while not being a really bad game it wasn't supposed to be good either.
So what about Homecoming? It's got the right looks, though it seems a bit on the not-so-pretty side in this day and age. Also it conjured up angry fanboi rage when it became clear that they used Pyramid Head without James being there AND not even the game version but the *gasp* movie version, which obviously means the game isn't true to it's origins and a total sellout. Also the transistions between misty Silent Hill and Nightmare Silent Hill seem more akin to what it looked like in the movie than to what the games did so far. SELLOUT the fans scream!
I for my part don't. Yes, Pyramid Head was closesly tied to James in SH2. But that doesn't mean that it can't appear in another context. And if it looks like the movie version... So what? It's not like the movie version looked BAD. It's still good old Pyramid Head.
There are much more important things to the game. Like... Having a real bitch of a narrative to show for. Like SH2. And wrapping that narrative in good gameplay, which hopefully is a modernized version of the traditional Silent Hill gameplay. Like... Having an apartment complex with no loading zones. That alone would be a pretty neat improvement I think.
Will I buy it? Sadly, I don't think so. Not right now anyway. But that's more of an personal issue, I don't have the time for it right now. Maybe sometime next year... This "christmas season" (=> mid October - mid November) is too tightly packed with titles which just interest me a lot more. But who knows, maybe overall praise by fans and critics alike will change my mind...
You have it right on the freaking dot with your analysis. Especially about the "Selling Out" aspects with comparisons of the movie and also with Pyramid Head.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:40 AM #11 of 35
since i'm a big fan of the series I'm still going to buy this one and yes to me SH5 seem more like a filler than a true new silent hill 5.

The movie was good (well I liked it), so basing the game around what we saw in the movie will probably still be OK but not excellent in my opinion.

I sure hope that team Silent will return in SH6 to give use a real new silent hill and not just a copy of the movie.(even if it will probably decent)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:30 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 10:30 AM #12 of 35
I'd hope Team Silent did something entirely new in the same vein.
As much as I like Siren Blood Curse / New Translation, it doesn't really push the same buttons as Silent Hill. I'd want another game that ups the "exploration of a very creepy surrounding that represents the chraracters inner conflict / horrible past / psyche", which boasts modern technologies and shakes off the shackles of traditions.
Meaning the Silent Hill 1 / 2 level / loading area layout among other things. Meaning the inventory. Meaning most of the combat system, even though the focus shouldn't be on combat, but you shouldn't be nearly defenseless because of the combat system not working properly...
All those things are something Resident Evil managed to do gracefully, though RE4 of course didn't go down the psycho-angle as most Silent Hill games did.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want an "all new" Silent Hill to mimick RE4. RE4 is primarily an action game. That's not what I want Silent Hill to become. But I think it is time, Silent Hill as a series underwent the same kind of overhaul that RE4 did with the Resident Evil franchise.
IF there has to be more Silent Hill games that is. Like I said, I'd be perfectly happy if they did something new that fed into a similar vein as Silent Hill while actually being an entirely new franchise. I mean... Silent Hill 2 and 3 are pretty much the perfect executions of the formula. Either they pull of an overhaul, which essentially would be the creation of an all new game with some Silent Hill trademarks, or they leave the trademarks out, and create a new franchise, with new IP and all new ideas.
But I doubt that'll happen. It's far too risky probably. Unless SH5 is a tremendous flop...

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:49 AM #13 of 35
I'm looking forward to this soon, I'm excited to play to another Silent Hill game. I played a bit of Origins but... that's just like trying to put spandex on a cat. The controls were lame while you got faster enemies that somehow just know where you are from the distance. So I'm holding my reservations for this game. I just have mixed reactions at another team to make it.

Spyro series were awesome when they were made by Insomniacs but after that? They were shit. Man, maybe its just the opening of opportunities on playstation that made these titles all gold.

Still though, I'm hoping that this game will surprise me. Or rather, SCARE me.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:51 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 02:51 AM #14 of 35
I was always a Silent Hill fan, but after 3, and then 4, I found it hard to give a fuck about this new one. Especially after hearing that it was a new development studio working on it. All the movie influenced imagery and stuff... yeah, really turned me off.

It could be good, but I doubt I'll give it the chance unless I hear that it's worth renting, let alone buying.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:28 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 09:28 PM #15 of 35
This game got banned here because the main character can die from getting a drill forced into his eye socket. Which is pretty funny. Australia's fairly racist towards drills. If the 360 version turns out to be region free I might import when it reduces in price (seems doomed to the bargain bins seconds after launch anyway).

FELIPE NO
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:38 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 10:38 PM 1 #16 of 35
Ok the Australian censorship gaming market is really starting to get on my nerves now. I mean, just look at these:

Banned due to the presence of dangerous sports and high-flying motorcycles.

Banned due to phallic imagery.

Banned due to the unsavoury notion of shaking a stick shaped object repeatedly with excitement and vigor.

Banned due to an insinuation of bear rape.

...There are so many reasons why this game could have been banned, so it seems pointless to pinpoint one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:59 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 05:59 AM #17 of 35
Here's a review I just found. It got a good score. 8.5 /10.

GCHD | GameCinemaHD | The stylish source for exclusive video game reviews, previews, screenshots, trailers, and news.

Quote:
and don’t even get me started on the bosses, which are, design-wise, hands down the best the series has ever seen.

~

I have to admit, I was just as worried as any Silent Hill fan when I heard about the various changes that were being made to one of my beloved franchises. Thankfully, the development team at Double Helix has done an excellent job of providing a seamless transition into the current generation, while at the same time keeping most of the series’ precious trademarks intact. While it doesn’t quite surpass the high standards set by the first three installments, Homecoming is one of the scariest and most memorable titles of the last few years, and a respectable addition to the Silent Hill family.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]

Last edited by Andrew Evenstar; Sep 30, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:43 PM #18 of 35
Meaning the Silent Hill 1 / 2 level / loading area layout among other things. Meaning the inventory. Meaning most of the combat system, even though the focus shouldn't be on combat, but you shouldn't be nearly defenseless because of the combat system not working properly...
This is where I ask WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? Seriously. I've NEVER felt completely defenseless except at STORY DICTATED moments. Overwhelmed at times? Sure, but that's part of the fun; even the feeling of helplessness is entirely enjoyable in the context.

Broken combat my ass.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:05 PM #19 of 35
I ordered this a while back and it was supposed to ship out today, I say "supposed to" for when I checked on my order for a tracking number it read the status as "Backordered" which I call "bullshit". Called Gamestop and they said my order was scheduled to ship out today but it still hasn't updated for a tracking number. >: (

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to digging in this. I really liked Origins for PSP (even got the PS2 port but haven't cracked that open for a while) and hope Homecoming keeps the same feel and essence of Silent Hill. The new enemies intrigue me though. With monsters able to meld in with your shadow and the only way you'll be able to tell you're being followed by them is when you pass a light and your shadow is not what its supposed to be. ::creepy::

I saw this on that wiki article on SH5 and I cried a little:

Quote:
Pre-Order Bonus

On September 24, 2008 the game's official North American website posted in its news section that people who pre-order the game at either GameStop, EB Games Canada, or Gamecrazy will receive the Silent Hill (film) on DVD for free. Similarly, people who preorder the game at Circuit City will receive a free Pyramid Head keychain.
I'd rather have that then the movie. Stupid Circuit City getting all the good pre-order bonuses all of the sudden.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by dagget; Sep 30, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:43 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2008, 08:43 PM #20 of 35
Somehow, I was dead sure this game would come out in Europe on September 25th or something like that. That's until I saw the new date, the end of november.

Woohoo, two fucking months. I'm a big fan of SH and was looking forward to number 5 so much

To make matters worse, videogamesplus.ca reports it isn't region free either.

EDIT: I also like how IGN bashed Alone in The Dark for it's shitty controls (which I agree on) and then bash SH5 for having "too good" controls for a horror game.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:30 PM #21 of 35
Looks like some people just won't stop living in the past. Anyway, I just got the game by my nearby store and I'll decide what sucks. So far people are comparing it to 1 and 2. Oh joy.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:36 PM #22 of 35
So after watching the preview of this when you leave it in the PS3 and it runs a bit, I have to ask: Is there a soundtrack coming out and when? I love the song that played and it reminded me of a remix of the SH2 theme.

How ya doing, buddy?

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:08 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2008, 09:08 PM #23 of 35
Original Sound Version » Blog Archive » A New Kind of Fear: Silent Hill Homecoming Interview with Akira Yamaoka

Akira stated the soundtrack should be out by the end of September in this interview... But its already October...

FELIPE NO

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:55 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2008, 09:55 PM #24 of 35
I'm guess he meant the game itself, not the soundtrack.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Maazer
Catacomb Phantom

Member 31881

Level 2.00

Oct 2008

Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:48 AM #25 of 35
Man... got this early. Not as big a fan of this as I am the RE series. Watch out for the first enemy you encounter - she's pretty hot

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Silent Hill: Homecoming. Now with HD fog effects