Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Halo Wars - Spartancraft

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:00 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 03:00 PM #26 of 37
User was banned for this post ^

Have 3 days to learn to respect the rules of the forum you're posting in and the people telling you when you're breaking them.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Nov 13, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:57 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 12:57 PM #27 of 37
Originally Posted by Isthmus
It's just that every single true RTS for the console has suffered from bad controls, mainly due to the fact that RTSes are suited to mouse/keyboard play, because of the accuracy of the mouse, and the fact that the keyboard has a large amount of buttons. The Xbox 360 controller, though it is one of the best console controllers in existence, unlike the unergonomic Dual Shock or Gamecube controller, does not have enough buttons, and it's thumbsticks are not as accurate as the mouse, because they control speed of movement, rather than actual movement itself, like the mouse does. Also, Ensemble Studios has never made a console game before, but has plenty of experience in PC RTSes.

Now, if Microsoft released even just a mouse by itself for the 360 (and no keyboard), I'd instantly go out and buy it.
If you'd have played LOTR:BFME2 for the Xbox 360, you'll see that there is hope for RTS games on the consoles. It's no argument that RTS games have had the most success with the mouse and keyboard combo, but this is not an excuse to immediately declare that Halo Wars is going to suck.

I personally am pretty excited about this game. Bungie is definitely going to analyze what worked and didn't work from LOTR:BFME2, and if ever there was a chance for an RTS on consoles to sell it's by having the HALO-brand stamped on top of it.

My only worry is whether or not we'll be seeing consistant patches and updates for the game. No RTS has perfect balance from the get-go, and LOTR:BFME2 has yet to receive a much-needed balance patch (typical EA).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 02:41 AM #28 of 37
I honestly have to agree w/ Isthmus due to the fact that I have played some RTS on the consoles and they usually don't live up to the PC counter parts.

I played LOTR-BFME2 and honeslty didn't like it compared to the PC version of it(I played the 1st BFME on pc).

Newbie> I don't think Bungie is doing much work on this game b/c if you look at the trailer for it, their name is no where to be found on the list.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:55 PM #29 of 37
Originally Posted by Furby
I honestly have to agree w/ Isthmus due to the fact that I have played some RTS on the consoles and they usually don't live up to the PC counter parts.

I played LOTR-BFME2 and honeslty didn't like it compared to the PC version of it(I played the 1st BFME on pc).
Furb, that's a pretty pointless comment though because very few games are as good on consoles as they are on PC. The difference is that you can generally get everything you need to play the console version for a couple of hundred quid whereas you need thousands to get a top spec pc and keep it current. PCs tend to lend themselves to RTS games better because a keyboard and mouse are pretty essential as a rule and nobody to date has put together a really effective joypad control system.

That said, I played Warhammer:Shadow of the Horned Rat on PS1 using a Playstation mouse (Controller gimics, lol) and I loved it. The game was pretty slow paced though with not too many units in your army so didn't suffer from lack of a keyboard. I can't imagine ever playing something like Homeworld with a joypad for example.

At the end of the day though, this is the MW forum and we're here to talk about Xbox games, not PC games. Lets keep the "MY £2,000 PC HAS BETTAR GRAFICS THAN UR 360, NUB" comments to a minimum please (This is a warning to anyone thinking of posting commetns like that, not having a go at Furbs).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:45 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:45 PM #30 of 37
Originally Posted by Furby

Newbie> I don't think Bungie is doing much work on this game b/c if you look at the trailer for it, their name is no where to be found on the list.
My bad, I meant Ensemble Studios.

The game certainly plays better on PC, but it's still pretty much the first time an RTS has actually been half-decent on consoles. All the essentials are there and I've had a number of fun skirmishes on Xbox Live. The control scheme actually allows players to micro armies and still have decent macro at their base. Sure, a guy on PC will beat a guy on a controller any day, but that's only because the game was built with the PC in mind from the beginning. Pinpointing tiny heroes to focus fire on a tv screen should simply never be in a console RTS. The tiny minimap in the corner also doesn't work that well, and a tactical map ala Company of Heroes would almost certainly work better.

I remember shooters being usually pretty bad on consoles. After playing Doom on PC, then playing it on an SNES was a joke. Until Goldeneye007, most of them were junk. Even afterwards, the ports of Unreal Tournaments or Quakes are hardly comparable to their original versions. It was still only until Halo that all the pieces were finally brought together. LOTR is no Goldeneye or Halo, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Similarly, action RPGS were awful on consoles (just look at Diablo for PS1) until Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance showed the way that they should be done.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:24 PM #31 of 37
True, the console port of Diablo was shit compared to the pc version and Dark Alliance was an awesome game to play...

Personally, I'm still going to have to see it to believe it. . But Ensemble Studio.. I know they made some other RTS' but I can't remember.. Didn they make Rise of Nations?

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:50 AM Local time: Aug 28, 2007, 12:50 PM #32 of 37
Apparently during the Games Conventions in Leipzig 2007, Harter Ryan, Ensemble’s executive producer, said a demo of Halo Wars will be hitting Xbox Live within the next few days, which would mean it'd appear sometime this week or next. From the videos and stuff being released it's definitely looking interesting and I'll certainly be checking out a demo if it hits.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:22 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2009, 12:22 PM #33 of 37
Oh hey, game come out in a month or so, epic thread ressurection.

I got an email from GAME telling me that if I pre-order this I'll get a Warthog with flames up the side in-game. As far as pre-order bonuses goes, that's pretty weak. The email also revealed the contents of the limited edition:
  • Three unreleased Halo 3 maps: Assembly, Orbital and Sandbox.
  • Limited Edition Box: Collectable Steelbook.
  • Unique in-game vehicle: A Covenant Wraith.
  • Hardbound Graphic Novel: Halo Wars: Genesis.
  • Six Leader Cards: Powerful in-game characters to turn the tide of battle!
  • Spirit of Fire Patch: Begin as a Spirit of Fire crew member!
  • Game disc, manual, and Xbox Live trial card.

A game disc! Whoop!

I'm probably not going to buy this as I'm not a huge RTS fan but it looks like there's some more DLC on the way for Halo 3 at any rate.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:11 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2009, 12:11 PM #34 of 37
The graphic novel is the most interesting part of that LE. I'd be interested, but I'm really not sure yet that they've pulled the whole console RTS thing off.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:22 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2009, 12:22 PM #35 of 37
Huh, only three of the Mythic maps? I take it they're staggering the release of the rest, so we won't see 'em until ODST comes out. Blast.

If the maps are paid content, then I might as well pick up the LE.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:26 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2009, 01:26 PM #36 of 37
If the maps are paid content, then I might as well pick up the LE.
Makes sense, if you were going to buy it anyway, although the first three will probably drop to free when the second free get released. That's generally their sales strategy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:55 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2009, 09:55 PM #37 of 37
More thread necromancy.

Just picked this up today and holy shit is it awesome. I love how quickly you can build your units and buildings, as opposed to War/Starcraft, where everything is so slow. It's also nice to have buildings constantly generating resources. I've never been good at RTS games, a huge part of it being that I suck at keeping track of my mining units and defending them.

Looking forward to some matches with you guys.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Halo Wars - Spartancraft