Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Sonic's Ultimate Mega Genesis Collection Drive

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:54 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 12:54 AM #26 of 39
Holy FUCK I want that record. I don't care a huge deal about the actual game (although I may well pick it up; got some good MD memories going on), but that disc must be MINE.

Why am I not Australian.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:03 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 07:03 PM 9 1 #27 of 39
Holy FUCK I want that record. I don't care a huge deal about the actual game (although I may well pick it up; got some good MD memories going on), but that disc must be MINE.

Why am I not Australian.
No criminal record.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:30 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 07:30 PM #28 of 39
Quote:
Phantasy Star (Master System)
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Shining Force
Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
Worth it
Amen to that shit.

I already have more or less this collection on the PSP but this is an awesome value nonetheless. If anything, I might rent it just so I can get some achievements.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 02:35 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 05:35 PM #29 of 39
SEGA's got the first record on eBay, it's pretty cheap!

Quote:
All proceeds of this auction will be donated to the Cancer Council of Australia
Cunts.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:06 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 03:06 AM #30 of 39
I wish they'd put more arcade versions into these collections. The console versions look like they smeared jelly all over the sprites. I got that Genesis collection for PS2 thinking the Golden Axe titles might actually be fun to play, but the only thing good about them was how many laughs my friends got out of the magic effects.

"POWER OF....MIST."
"It's....it's gonna get you...."
"Just wait, you're going to be so muggy in a minute."

I mean, the graphics themselves aren't even the problem, but the flickering characters and crappy levels could be sidestepped by just using the arcade versions.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:12 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 02:12 AM #31 of 39
I wish they'd put more arcade versions into these collections. The console versions look like they smeared jelly all over the sprites. I got that Genesis collection for PS2 thinking the Golden Axe titles might actually be fun to play, but the only thing good about them was how many laughs my friends got out of the magic effects.

"POWER OF....MIST."
"It's....it's gonna get you...."
"Just wait, you're going to be so muggy in a minute."

I mean, the graphics themselves aren't even the problem, but the flickering characters and crappy levels could be sidestepped by just using the arcade versions.
Wouldn't really be the Genesis collection then, though.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:19 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 03:19 AM #32 of 39
Wouldn't really be the Genesis collection then, though.
Well, they could just as easily call it the Sega collection, like Capcom did. I mean, they put the arcade version of Altered Beast in there without any problems, so I don't understand why it's more difficult to get the others they have available on there.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
fiercedeity
LOL FAG!

Member 8055

Level 11.82

Jun 2006

Old Feb 8, 2009, 06:59 AM Local time: Feb 8, 2009, 11:59 AM 2 #33 of 39
Another peddled collection of crap, they stuff this rubbish onto shelves once every few years, and people buy it, I just dont get it, with emulation as big as it is, there is no need to spend £40 on something that just wont offer that much playability. How many times are we gonna replay the first 3 levels of Sonic 3 before we realise that the game just wasnt that great, its a classic, yes, and was enjoyable back then, but now we only play them for nostalga. Its the new millenium equivalent of owning a Gramaphone.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:35 PM #34 of 39
I just dont get it, with emulation as big as it is, there is no need to spend £40 on something that just wont offer that much playability.
Aside from the legality of it. Not as many people know about Emulation as you think, or maybe they're just too lazy to look. Not to mention alot of ROM sites take down certain games because they don't want to get sued.

Plus some people will buy just about anything if they think they can get easy achievements to pad their gamerscore.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Out thought and out fought."
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2009, 03:18 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2009, 02:18 PM 5 #35 of 39
Yeah, sorry buddy. "But you can steal it!" isn't a valid excuse for not buying something. Neither is "It's old and therefore it sucks".

If you want to make a valid counterpoint to these retro collections, it's a fair bit easier to accuse them of not including a valid multiplayer component or say that certain titles in the collection are of questionable quality, but in all honesty that second point is kinda moot on this particular disc. Or that every other SEGA compilation has contained most of these are one point or another already. As a pure value/time equation this is hard to beat. =\

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2009, 03:42 PM #36 of 39
I just wish I hadn't already bought these on disc/on VC.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:07 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2009, 12:07 PM #37 of 39
Oh hey so I bought this on Friday, primarily so the missus could play Shining Force and I could play Phastasy Star.

The menu system between games is ok although annoyingly, you can't hold down a direction to scroll through the games, you have to press up or down once for each step. You can rate all the games from one to five though and sort them in order of preference so all the shit like Alex Kidd can get dumped to the bottom of the list.

There's a bit of info for each game and some "interesting" facts on each (Did you know that Tails' real name is Miles Prower, which is a pun on the phrase Miles per hour?) along with a picture of the North American box art and cartridge.

The games themselve initially load up in a square screen with a sort of themed border thing filling up the rest of the display on a widescreen tv but you can opt to stretch the whole display to 16:9 if you wish. The smoothing option is off by default but I can't say I could tell any difference between it being off and on anyway. You can use both the left stick and d-pad to control the games and choose which buttons are mapped to which Megadrive ones.

Achievements wise, some are hilariously easy (A monster 50 points for viewing all the artwork, all of which is unlocked from the start so you just spend five minutes scrolling through it all) and some, significantly harder (20,000 points on Columns easy mode is currently beyond me, as are some of the other score challenges) and there's an achievement for most of the games, some of which you'll probably only play once just for the achievement (Alex Kidd for example, collect $1,000 which you can do on the first screen which is lucky because unlike the amazing Master System Miracle World game, the one on here is utter toilet).

Getting the achievements generally unlocks various video interviews or arcade games so the OCD amongst you will have something to keep them busy. I think if you don't already own a lot of these games on console, this is worth the £20 odd it'll cost you. Certainly playing things like Sonic on a console is more fun that on an emulator (Although I do already have the PS2 Sonic collection) and playing through Shining Force is fun so far (Despite the retarded inventory system).

So whilst the lack of online multi-player is a fairly criminal oversight, this is a decent collection of games and worth it if you can find it cheap-ish, which should be pretty easy. If nothing else you could rent it for a couple of hundred really easy achievement points if that's your bag.

Additional Spam:
Alexx Kidd in Miracle World is a great game. Alex Kidd in fugly sidescrolling punching game with endless pointless rock-paper-scissors games and nasty controls in the Enchanted Castle isn't.

Additional Spam:
What the fuck happened to Skills' post?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Feb 23, 2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:45 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2009, 07:45 PM #38 of 39

Unlocked Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier as soon as possible. I like how SEGA didn't bother changing anything on the disc to reflect the whole PAL Mega Drive thing. It's all Genesis this, Genesis that. Genesis does.

Also what the fuck I'm addicted to Flicky now. Fuck Flicky.

( )

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:04 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2009, 12:04 PM #39 of 39
Ha ha, Flicky's annoying as fuck but is strangely addictive.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Sonic's Ultimate Mega Genesis Collection Drive