Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Installing Ubuntu (Need help with Drivers)

Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:34 PM #1 of 5
Installing Ubuntu (Need help with Drivers)

Hello everyone, as you could have read in the title, I'll be installing Ubuntu soon on a spare tower of mine. The problem is, I need it to connect the the internet, and the only thing I have to get a signal in my room (I'm a 20 year old high school dropout who lives in his parent's basement) but my router is upstairs. I can't drill holes because they'll complain, so I need to resort to my Belkin N Wireless F5D8053 receiver. I can't find Linux drivers for it anywhere, and was wondering if the good folks from Gamingforce could help me out with this little predicament.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

I am not a clever pony...
Agent Marty
*snore*

Member 243

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:43 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2008, 05:43 PM #2 of 5
I know that when I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I didn't have to install any drivers for the wireless. It automatically worked for me, though I'm (obviously) not sure what will happen in your situation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected." - John Steinbeck
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:49 PM #3 of 5
Figured it out. It's going to require that I lug that computer ALL the way upstairs, connect it through ethernet, download ALL the updates, then run one of said updates, find the .inf file, then use that to install on Ubuntu.

Thanks anyway. Have a good night/day!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

I am not a clever pony...
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:23 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 05:23 AM #4 of 5
Looks like you wanna create some ndiswrapper setup. Hmm, I just wanna point out that ndiswrapper can cause a lot of trouble (especially kernel panics), so don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all or your system acts funny.
Best thing is to get a WiFi device that has native drivers.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Meridius
He's Back! Run!

Member 31850

Level 2.12

Sep 2008

Old Oct 2, 2008, 02:28 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2008, 08:28 PM #5 of 5
Looks like you wanna create some ndiswrapper setup. Hmm, I just wanna point out that ndiswrapper can cause a lot of trouble (especially kernel panics), so don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all or your system acts funny.
Best thing is to get a WiFi device that has native drivers.
Agreed, and it's not the simplest thing to get working reliably either.

All in all, if you decide to keep Ubuntu on the system, I'd recommend a Netgear PCI wireless card, they're not expensive and it really doesn't really seem to matter what model. I've got half a dozen different models in different machines, and Ubuntu picks them up no problem.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Installing Ubuntu (Need help with Drivers)