Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Remember when we died hard, three times over?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 07:38 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 10:38 PM #1 of 8
Remember when we died hard, three times over?

Die Hard Trilogy appreciation thread! Released late 1996 for PlayStation and PC (then made its way to Saturn months later) it was basically three different games in one. If only there was one more, it could have connected four.

Die Hard
A third person shooter, pretty much the weakest of the three. You walked around shooting goons and saving hostages. Or shooting hostages and saving goons.. wait a second. It was pretty difficult due to the massive amount of pitch black fog that was in every single level.

What an awkward place for blood.

Die Harder
THE CREAM OF THE CORN. A light gun game that was waaay ahead of its time. What made this so damn fun was the fact that you could completely destroy the environments and use it to your advantage. Blasting away at the ceiling above a bad guy would bring parts of it down to crush them, blowing up Coke machines gave you health. By the end of each level shit was everywhere. It was a hell of a lot of mindless fun, and it still is now if you can get over how badly the graphics have aged.~

Die Hard: With a Vengeance (ooooh)
This was Crazy Taxi but with only one passenger for the whole game and instead of having to drive to KFC or Pizza Hut, you'd have to find bombs. Then uh, run over them to stop them from wiping out the city. Because that's how you handle bombs! Also you didn't make any caaaraaaazy money. Too bad. You never really got a lot of time to fart around, and traffic would suddenly appear out of nowhere. Is that how it really is in America? I'm scared! Between each level you'd have to race someone as well, which was pretty pointless. You could also run over pedestrians, and the windscreen wipers would wipe off the blood for you, very friendly! But it was okay, because I don't think you could ever kill them. They'd go flying, then get right back up and keep walking. Of course that's when you go to hit them again. Take THAT, clump of four polygons!

Did any of you guys play the sequel? Was it crap? I never played it because I had that fear. That fear of it being crap.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:19 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 08:19 AM #2 of 8
GUFUFUF GUNS

My god. There are two of them in one block, ACROSS THE STREET from eachother! That's what I call internal strife.

I see a third further down =\

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

WooshaQ
Wheel of Ka

Member 502

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:11 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 07:11 PM #3 of 8
I remember playing the demo of the Die Harder part on my PSX but using pad instead of gun killed all the fun, later I got a full version on my PC (this was actually my first full game I played on it) but due to incompatibility with my graphic card I didn't play long. Quite a decent game to be honest, it's a movie adaptation so it's rather obvious, duh! Not to mention when I see it now, I want to vomit, 3D graphics gets old so fast.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:14 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 07:14 PM #4 of 8
(PS)
Die Hard is the only section which I have managed to complete.
I think I got as far as the cabin in the snow? level in Die Harder.
I'm crap at Die Hard: With A Vengeance.

I've got the 2nd Die Hard Trilogy game, I played the 3rd person for a couple of minutes and it reminded me of the James Bond game (Tomorrow Never Dies I believe) in that, moving around the environment could be a lot smoother. Still to actually play much of the game though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Seven Black
The Balancer

Member 1111

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 08:36 PM #5 of 8
I used to own that game, it was fairly entertaining. Die harder was great. I'll have to disagree with you when it comes to the other two, though. The 3rd person shooter was alright and I really disliked the taxi driving part. I was never big on time limits in video games and this game was no exception. I always wanted to just roam around and explore the city but the timer didn't allow you much freedom.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Seven Black; Apr 11, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Genthar
Lieutenant Colonel

Member 14155

Level 9.20

Oct 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:41 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 08:41 PM #6 of 8
One of my favourite moments of PC gaming was in Die Harder where you had guys on fire and you could shoot them to "put them out of their misery". You got extra points as John said "Mercy Killing" or somesuch.
Sheer class!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"Your friends are just your enemies in reverse" - Gary Busey
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:02 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 01:02 PM #7 of 8
Man, I bought that game a long time ago for something like $2 when I got a light gun for my Playstation, but I still haven't played the game yet. I think I remember reading something later about how my gun wouldn't be compatible with the second game ( ;_; ). I guess I'll have to see if I still have the game with me somewhere so I can give it a shot. Destructible environments sounds pretty rad. =o

FELIPE NO
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 12:47 AM #8 of 8
This was a good game. I liked Die Hard the best. It's been so long since I played it that I can't really tell you why I liked that one the best. Sorry about that. Wait, I have some vague hint of a memory, one of throwing grenades and taking out lots of guys at once, and it being really satisfying. Now another memory: of the scenery never changing, with just the layout changing a bit each level. Which was also satisfying, in it's own charming back-to-repetitive-arcade-action-basics kind of way.

I liked the bomb car bits of Vengeance. A bit like Chase HQ but with hand brake turns, chinatowns and bloodied windscreen wipers.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Remember when we died hard, three times over?