Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Ver. 214. Gobble Gobble Gobble, Slurp Slurp Slurp

Sacred X
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:05 AM #1501 of 1567
I've actually been practicing with Captain Falcon a lot recently just because he's such a fun character. The fact that some people like to crown him the worst character in Brawl (tourney wise) just makes him all the more fun.

Jiggly and Toon Link were my previous best characters, obviously I've been trying with Captain Falcon, and recently realized I want Ike to be up there too.

Just had a ton of matches with Icy and Kairyu and my brother.. Very fun, hopefully more GFF matches of 4 or 2v2 team battles can take place in the near future.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SSBB: 0602-5947-4393 ("SX")
PM me if you add.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:26 AM #1502 of 1567
Very fun, hopefully more GFF matches of 4 or 2v2 team battles can take place in the near future.
HAY. IT'S TIME FOR ME TO DO THE "GFF TOURNEYFAG BRAWL TOURNAMENT".

3 stock
8 minutes
No Items
Banned Stages are banned.

Semi-serious, depending on what people actually wanna do with this game right now. I wouldn't mind having another tournament.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:43 AM #1503 of 1567
Sounds good to me, as long as people who sign up don't drop out as soon as their first match comes up. That seems to happen way too often with every tournament we try to do around GFF these days.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:50 AM #1504 of 1567
I'll just keep it at, if you don't feel like dealing with all the restrictions and crap this "GFF TOURNEYFAG" tournament has, just stay clear from the tournament.

I learned from the last tournament not to leave much room for debate or people will get pissed off at you.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:58 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 12:58 AM #1505 of 1567
I think Tritoch was referring to prodding people to actually complete their matches rather than rulesmongering. There are some cases when matches aren't completed out of laziness/scheduling conflicts/whatever, and brackets are held up because of it.

I'd be down for another go at this though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:00 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2008, 10:00 PM #1506 of 1567
The "no items" part still makes me hesitant but~ I'll play. Considering my track record against players like Icy I know I won't last long anyway.

@ Sacred X:
Now that I think about it we didn't get disconnected the entire time. I don't think that ever happened before
Anyway, good games. We really should do that more often.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:00 AM #1507 of 1567
I've actually been practicing with Captain Falcon a lot recently just because he's such a fun character. The fact that some people like to crown him the worst character in Brawl (tourney wise) just makes him all the more fun.

Jiggly and Toon Link were my previous best characters, obviously I've been trying with Captain Falcon, and recently realized I want Ike to be up there too.
Haha, I loved Jiggs in Melee, but now that rest doesn't fucking rape like it used to...I use him in casual play, with Smash Balls and stuff. And I have another friend who uses Gannondorf, because his only good move (other than the stomp) seems to be the air-suicide throw. TO THE FUTURE!!! *death*

I wanted to like Ike, but he seems to die from laggy moves pretty bad. Fucker hits hard though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:05 AM #1508 of 1567
Yeah, that's what I meant IC. I think most people should be done with classes in about 4 weeks though, so this could be a good time to get sign-ups started. Hopefully people will have time to actually keep commitments over Winter break.

As for restrictions, as long as you don't start banning characters I've got no problems. I wouldn't mind seeing Smash Balls banned in a tourney setting, but it's okay if they're left in.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:07 AM #1509 of 1567
No characters are gonna be banned. If you wanna play as Meta Knight, for all I care, go ahead. I might be choosing him every once in a blue moon.

Probably the same match rules will apply:

Matches are first to 3.
Finals are first to 5.
Double Elimination

I'll probably get a sign-up thread set-up in a couple days.

A note:
According to tournament rules, these stages are ALWAYS banned:
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hannenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom (1-1 and 1-2)
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Spear Pillar
The Summit
WarioWare, Inc.

These stages are up for debate:

Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Down Aero Dive
Skyworld

Last edited by Chaotic; Nov 16, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
Sacred X
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:19 AM #1510 of 1567
^ (Goldfish from Hell) I usually refer to Ike as the "Rage" character or something similar. As for Jiggly, I rarely use rest. I just use her air attacks until I'm read to follow the opponent offscreen, kill em, and gently float back.

As for the tournament thing, I'd participate this time around so long as it doesn't interfere with my job schedule. I don't think Brawl is as popular on GFF as it used to be, so I can't say much about the participant issue.

As for the whole tourneyfag bit, I'm just going to let loose and have whoever judge me however they want. I gotta admit, I do have preferences.

Characters: Don't care about what's preferred. Just a few posts earlier you can see me saying how I enjoy Captain Falcon.

Stages: Yeah, I do hate quite a few stages. Mostly the ones where you need to concentrate more on surviving rather than the actual battle. With that said, Wario Ware and Pictochat are some of my favorites. My dislikes generally include moving stages, any Game & Watch stage, and a few others I don't want to bother to mention. Although 75mm isn't among one of my top hated stages either, so I have a weird taste. Usually I choose Final Destination for the first few matches to warm up, or if we haven't played it in a while. I was never really too fond of Battlefield. Small, platforms, bland. I know the background might be a little flashy or something, but I never concentrate on that during gameplay.

Items: Normally I have items on low, usually because most of my matches are 1v1. Sometimes I'll take them off depending on who I'm against, or if I'm just not in the mood for them, but generally they're on low. I don't usually like them on high since it's usually "Grab the Smash Ball" or items in general. As for Dragon Pieces, I usually don't like those either. Unless I'm doing competitive match or anything other than a 1v1, I'd usually just collect the pieces to purposely miss. Though I realized today items are a lot more fun on a higher setting if there are 4 people fighting. Normally since I know whomever I'm vsing will have items on medium or high, I set mine on low or none so we end up having some matches with items, some matches with a lot of items, and/or some matches with no items. The randomness keeps the game fun.

Not sure whatelse there is. Don't think that makes me a tourneyfag-wannabe, but whatever. I do whatever's fun.

What were the rules/bannedstages/whatever for the last GFF tourney?

SSBB: 0602-5947-4393 ("SX")
PM me if you add.

Last edited by Sacred X; Nov 16, 2008 at 03:21 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:59 AM #1511 of 1567
Why are Bridge of Eldin and Shadow Moses Island always banned? The bridge is the flat and the most that happens is the stage being divided in half. It's the very definition of calm. Nothing at all happens on Shadow Moses. I'm not arguing necessarily, just wondering what the rationale is there.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:59 AM #1512 of 1567
Well, I'll be willing to keep both in if everyone else agrees to it, but here are the reasons stated on the SmashWiki:

Quote:
Shadow Moses Island - Removes three of the four blast lines.
Bridge of Eldin - Potential for game-breaking camping/stalling.
Personally, I'm a fan of Shadow Moses. As for Bridge of Eldin, I don't think we really have to worry about camping or stalling. I'll expect it one point or another, but I don't think it would be a huge deal.

Additional Spam:
What were the rules/bannedstages/whatever for the last GFF tourney?
Everything was free game last time. All items and stages were on. I already compromised with that one, so I figured, why not just make one specifically styled for "professional tournament play"?

The whole no items/certain stages banned bit.

Might as well balance out what kind of stuff we run here, I suppose.

I'll drop the idea for a 2v2 tournament since that was hell to figure out.

Last edited by Chaotic; Nov 16, 2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Gargomon251
This place is boring...

Member 32201

Level 3.93

Nov 2008

Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:32 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 07:32 AM #1513 of 1567
I find it quite refreshing that someone called Jigglypuff "him" for a change. I really don't like people getting into big arguments about what the gender "HAS TO BE".

Also I usually get bored with a match that lasts more than 5 minutes on average, and I see NO REASON any match should EVER exceed ten minutes. It's especially annoying when I want to join someone's brawl and they take FOREVER to play. The other day I dropped out of a match because someone decided to set it to seven stock. I can see how some tourneyfags might like to play the same characters and stage for that long at once (especially since they always main one and use FD only) but I really get tired of using the same thing for that long, even with items ON.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:51 AM #1514 of 1567
You're really overusing the word "tourneyfag" here, Gargo. I agree it's annoying when someone continuously picks the same 1-2 characters every time and have no variety in their stages (I'm looking at you, Animal Crossing), but I find most matches between 2+ good players tend to last around 7-8 minutes. Usually less if it's only two people, but hitting sudden death at the 8 minute mark isn't uncommon at all with 3-4. As long as people aren't rushing straight into attacks it can take awhile to rack up enough damage.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:20 AM #1515 of 1567
I may sign up for this, depending on when it's going to be held. If its held over winter break, this would be best for me, assuming that my Wii will play nice with my router back at home. Any other time may be subject to time conflicts from school.

But yeah sure, what the hell. Haven't done anything with the GFF community for a while now. I'm probably quite bad though, compared to other people here. But that's where the humor comes in, no?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:53 PM #1516 of 1567
I'll probably hold this during Winter Break since it's a good time for me as well. At this point, it's just discussion and stuff.

Plus, Gargo, like the last tournament, I'm not restricting anyone to a certain character. For all I care, put some variety in your choices.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gargomon251
This place is boring...

Member 32201

Level 3.93

Nov 2008

Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:54 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 07:54 PM #1517 of 1567
You're really overusing the word "tourneyfag" here, Gargo.
Sorry about that, force of habit. It's easier to type than "tournament players".
Quote:
Usually less if it's only two people, but hitting sudden death at the 8 minute mark isn't uncommon at all with 3-4. As long as people aren't rushing straight into attacks it can take awhile to rack up enough damage.
Geez, do you fight a lot of campers or what? Or maybe you should consider turning the stock down a bit. The other day I was having 4-stock battles with the time limit at 5 minutes.
Plus, Gargo, like the last tournament, I'm not restricting anyone to a certain character.
I'm not interested in tournaments unless it's in person. It's too much hassle to keep adding and/or removing friend codes, I'd rather just battle anyone than take turns.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:57 PM #1518 of 1567
Suit yourself then.

One less person I gotta add.

Kanzaki
Chocobo

Member 16476

Level 9.00

Dec 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:28 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 01:28 AM #1519 of 1567
I will join too if it's in winter break (please)

I have no problems with stages, since I think that the more randomness, the ore Smash it becomes. And campers, no problem, the only camper I can think of is Pit...well and Snake,and Toon Link, and Zelda, and....hohohohoho I got carried away, sorry!

I will miss the items though T_T

About characters I use, np, I tend to switch to a different one every battle.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:06 AM #1520 of 1567
I have my own rotation for characters, though I'm pretty sure it's too long to be anywhere near "mastery" of characters.

Marth->Ike->Toon Link->Pikachu->Pokemon Trainer->Mario->Snake->Kirby->Fox/Wolf/Falco

Also, I'm curious, half a year after its release, which control scheme have you stuck with? I'm a big fan of the Remote+Nunchuck combo, personally.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:23 AM #1521 of 1567
I have my set characters. Specifically, one for 1v1s and one for brawls. Both are Falco and Fox respectively.

I have a rotation myself, but lately, I've just been playing on random with my friends because I can't decide on a character to use.

And I'm still using the Gamecube Controller. It's the one I'm still the most familiar with and when I switch to another one, my skill level drops horribly.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:12 PM #1522 of 1567
I played with Sacred on Saturday and like I told him I get a rush from the stock matches with the GFF people, win or lose. 2 minute brawls can only go so far online. Playing against Basil in the last tournament was one of the best matches I ever played.

Whenever you get the tournament sign-ups going, I'll be there.

Gargomon251
This place is boring...

Member 32201

Level 3.93

Nov 2008

Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:21 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 01:21 PM #1523 of 1567
Also, I'm curious, half a year after its release, which control scheme have you stuck with? I'm a big fan of the Remote+Nunchuck combo, personally.
I have never been good with anything but the GCN controller, for five key reasons:
1. Dpad
2. Z
3. X
4. R
5. B
I think mapping moves rather than directions to the Dpad is rather awkward, and I can never hit the right button in the midst of battle. The B button is a major offender simply due to it replacing what would normally be a "shoulder" button. At least the wii remote alone has a logical placement, even if grabs and taunts are tricky. Although I really should try to practice sometime.The other problem lies in the disconnect between the two halves: it's a little hard to move the analog in a specific direction when you have to account for how your hands are angled, especially after being used to the position of the GCN controller.

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:06 PM #1524 of 1567
I'm a GCN controller user, myself, but that's honestly just because it meant picking up a new game with the same control scheme as the earlier one, and not learning anything besides how to use the characters.

Most amazing jew boots
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:54 PM #1525 of 1567
Looks like most people still use the GCN controller. When the game first came out, I only used the GCN controller. The awkward moment comes when I get 3 other people to play. I only own 3 wavebirds, so the fourth person is going to have to use a non-GCN controller. Since nobody else really wanted to use it, I was usually the one using it.

But really, it never bothered me too much. I was never _THAT_ good at Smash since I didn't own a Gamecube or an N64, so I didn't have to change much to pick up a "new" control scheme. In the beginning, I used to pretty much just use B moves the entire battle, which would probably explain why I never won that much. Then I got around to learning to use smash attacks effectively. After that came aerial attacks, which I slowly integrated into my battles. Then, probably too late at that point, I finally learned how to shield effectively (this is probably about 1 year ago?) and consequently, how to roll and dodge effectively. Before then, I never touched those two buttons.

Even now, there are a few things that I still don't do much at all. The biggest one that people point out is grab. I never think to grab somebody ever. The other big one is the use of I believe it's commonly called "tilt" attacks...didn't even know they existed until Brawl came out.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Ver. 214. Gobble Gobble Gobble, Slurp Slurp Slurp