Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Problem with audio playback.

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:19 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:19 PM #1 of 12
Problem with audio playback.

So I have this problem with audio playback on my computer. Basicly, the audio will become all garbled every now and then. Skipping, "chopping" or whatever it's called. And before you ask, this is not a problem with the audio files themselves.

The only thing I can think of myself is that it's due to insufficient power supply.

I currectly have three hard drives (40+200+300), as well as a dvd burner, feeding off (what I think is) a 200W power supply. As this started happening only after I added the 300 gb drive, I assume it has to be somehow connected to that.

I actually used to have this problem in the past too, but only when I read from/wrote to a cd/dvd. Now it happens pretty much all the time.

Any ideas?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:28 PM #2 of 12
Needs more information.

- operating system
- mainboard
- soundcard/onboard?
- driver version
- software used to play files

I don't think it's your power supply. If your output isn't sufficient, it would usually just reboot the system periodically or not boot up at all.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Rock; May 5, 2006 at 08:31 AM.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:35 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:35 PM #3 of 12
[QUOTE=Rock]Needs more information.

Quote:
- operating system
Win XP Pro

Quote:
- mainboard
No Idea.

Quote:
- soundcard/onboard?
Onboard.

Quote:
- driver version
No idea.

Here are some specs. Don't know if they help.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:35 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:35 PM #4 of 12
Get a new power source, or try to remove the 40GB HD.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:40 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:40 PM #5 of 12
Originally Posted by Grawl
Get a new power source, or try to remove the 40GB HD.
I'd rather not remove the 40 as it's the primary drive. I guess I should just get a new power supply, but I'd just like to know that that is definitely what's causing this to happen.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Unforgiven
How do I reach this fucking orb?

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:48 AM #6 of 12
Maybe adding more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't forget it needs to work with another hard drive (The 300 one).

And your PSU is old. I'd change it for at least a 300W one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 09:53 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 04:53 PM #7 of 12
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
Maybe adding more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't forget it needs to work with another hard drive (The 300 one).
So you'd say that insufficient RAM could also be the cause? Natuarally, 256 SDRAM isn't exactly much these days and I should do an upgrade, but as I said I'm jreally only interested in getting the problem at hand fixed at the moment.

FELIPE NO
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 04:09 PM #8 of 12
Something just like what you described happened to me recenty, after upgrading to more powerful hardware but still remaining on an even weaker (145W peak) power supply.

Upgrading that caused everything to work fine. I think you're possibly cutting it close with your power.

Even if it's not this that's causing the problem at all, you should upgrade to a more powerful supply either way, for the sake of stability ~

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 05:09 PM #9 of 12
I doubt the RAM is the issue here, but 256 is really, really low. I'd first just try to get a new PSU, since that should be the main problem here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:24 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 04:24 PM #10 of 12
Try it without the 300GB HD, if not try the latest audio drivers, check for any conflicts in device manager, check settings in bios and sound settings in windows and as a last resort try upgrading your PSU.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:56 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 05:56 PM #11 of 12
Originally Posted by Roph
Something just like what you described happened to me recenty, after upgrading to more powerful hardware but still remaining on an even weaker (145W peak) power supply.

Upgrading that caused everything to work fine. I think you're possibly cutting it close with your power.

Even if it's not this that's causing the problem at all, you should upgrade to a more powerful supply either way, for the sake of stability ~
Thanks. I reckon it has to be the power supply then

Originally Posted by Grawl
I doubt the RAM is the issue here, but 256 is really, really low. I'd first just try to get a new PSU, since that should be the main problem here.
Yeah, 256 is pretty ancient I guess. I probably would have done something about it if it hadn't been such a bitch to find compatible RAM sticks.

Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
Try it without the 300GB HD, if not try the latest audio drivers, check for any conflicts in device manager, check settings in bios and sound settings in windows and as a last resort try upgrading your PSU.
Yeah, it doesn't happen without the 300 gb one connected. And I actually have no idea how to update the drivers, since it's an onboard job and I have no idea what the motherboard is called or what make it is. And when checking the device manager and bios settings I found nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the help guys. I've already looked for around a bit for a new power supply and found a few 300 and 350 ones that sounded alright. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'd appreciate it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 12:07 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 11:07 AM #12 of 12
You can always get Everest to check the information of your mainboard. While it isn't 100% accurate, it might help loads with your problem. There's also Driver Guide if you want to get the drivers pretty easily. You gotta register, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vibrate

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Problem with audio playback.