Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How to remove Linux boot entry?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 AM #1 of 11
Question How to remove Linux boot entry?

Help me... I installed mandrake Linux 9.1 a week ago. I installed it without using Partition magic, so in the end, everytime I boot my computer, mandrake linux OS choice will be shown up, even though I have formatted the linux partition. help me please... :1zhelp:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:15 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:15 AM #2 of 11
This is the bootloader, which is entirely seperate from the OS.

Assuming you use Windows NT, 2000, 2003, or XP:

Do you have a Windows 2000 or XP install CD available? If so, boot off of it, enter the Recovery Console when available, and enter the below command:

Code:
fixmbr
And NTLDR (Windows NT bootloader) should replace grub, which is what currently inhabits your MBR (or did Mandrake use lilo... either way, it'll be replaced).

Assuming you use a Windows 9x variant (98, 98SE, ME):

Boot into DOS by your best means, and run:

Code:
fdisk /mbr
This will replace the bootloader Linux uses with the standard Windows one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:49 PM #3 of 11
Originally Posted by Duminas
And NTLDR (Windows NT bootloader) should replace grub, which is what currently inhabits your MBR (or did Mandrake use lilo... either way, it'll be replaced).
Mandrake/Mandriva does use GRUB, albeit a fancy one at that. (At least, it did when I used it.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 02:22 AM #4 of 11
Hmm, currently I'm running winxp. But here I face another problem: my xp is a set of pre-installed from the Acer hardware. I couldn use it to enter recovery console. Could i use the method for win98 instead? how do I make a bootable diskette from XP?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:35 PM #5 of 11
Originally Posted by Snowknight
Mandrake/Mandriva does use GRUB, albeit a fancy one at that. (At least, it did when I used it.)
I think they switched to GRUB at 10.0. 9.0 and 9.1 were LILO. Either way, the FIXMBR and fdisk /mbr reccomendations were spot on.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:46 AM #6 of 11
Originally Posted by eriol
Hmm, currently I'm running winxp. But here I face another problem: my xp is a set of pre-installed from the Acer hardware. I couldn use it to enter recovery console. Could i use the method for win98 instead? how do I make a bootable diskette from XP?
That would only work if your disk is FAT32, I believe. As DOS (the variants you get with Windows) is incapable of reading an NTFS partition, you cannot run fdisk within it, to my knowledge. First, see if Acer gave you any disks that mention Recovery capability, though do be careful about using them.

If someone knows more about this than I do, feel free to correct me.

As to how to get the Recovery Console, go here, and grab the floppies it talks about (you need six in total). They should contain Recovery Console capability.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:32 PM #7 of 11
fdisk /mbr and fixmbr do the same thing. Either one will work on an XP system.

FELIPE NO
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:52 PM #8 of 11
Ah. I was under the impression that, since DOS can't read NTFS, it won't know about the drive's existence if all partitions under it were of that type.

This assumption would then be incorrect?

Most amazing jew boots

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:55 PM #9 of 11
Ah. I was under the impression that, since DOS can't read NTFS, it won't know about the drive's existence if all partitions under it were of that type.

I think he's talking about the Recovery Console itself, in which both fixmbr and fdisk /mbr will accomplish the same thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:13 PM #10 of 11

fdisk /mbr doesn't touch your partitions. It just wipes the Master Boot Record.

And for the record, it's DOS, not FDISK, that can't handle NTFS. NTFS is just one way of formatting a Windows Partition. Sort of like how you can format a partition of type 83 (Linux) in ext2, ext3, reiser3, reiser4, xfs, jfs, or a variety of file systems. fdisk doesn't care how it's formatted.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:38 AM #11 of 11
That would only work if your disk is FAT32, I believe. As DOS (the variants you get with Windows) is incapable of reading an NTFS partition, you cannot run fdisk within it, to my knowledge. First, see if Acer gave you any disks that mention Recovery capability, though do be careful about using them.

If someone knows more about this than I do, feel free to correct me.

As to how to get the Recovery Console, go here, and grab the floppies it talks about (you need six in total). They should contain Recovery Console capability.
not to forget that I dont even know the administrator password -_-;. recently I borrowed my friend xp cd, entering the recovery console... and damn, I'm stucked with the password prompt.

Currently I'm running fat32 for my windows system disk. it's possible to use the win98 method isn it? (the DOS way)

Double Post:
case closed. all problem fixed. thx a lot guys!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by eriol33; Mar 7, 2006 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged double post.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > How to remove Linux boot entry?