Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer not booting OS

Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:14 PM #1 of 8
Computer not booting OS

About 2 weeks ago, one of the slots that the RAM plugs into died, so I moved the stick over to another open slot, and the computer worked fine. Well, 2 days ago, the computer stopped booting right, and gave me that annoying beeping error code saying that either my RAM wasn't working right. I unplugged the RAM sticks ( Individually of course ) to see which one had died ( if either had ) and it still refused to boot. Well, then I decided " what the hell " and I stick a RAM stick into the dead port and try to boot it. Low and behold, it worked... The port magically came back to life, and the other 2 ports died. Now, since that's happened, I can boot the computer, see the BIOs info going by and all that fun stuff, but when it hits the point where it's supposed to load my OS ( Windows XP, so the little screen with the Windows Logo and the loading bar underneath it ) it just sits at a black screen for about 5 minutes and then restarts the whole process.

Normally, I'd just try a wipe and reload, as I seem to recall having this problem before, and that's what I did to fix it I believe, but unfortunately my little sister has much of her school work saved onto that hard drive as well as many pictures she took and I can't just wipe it or she'll lose all the work she put towards school, and many photo's of family members on a cruise we took.

Any ideas that could lead me to the successful repair of my family's computer?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

I am not a clever pony...
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:33 PM #2 of 8
I had a similar situation, and I was able to get my files by running Ubuntu, and... here, let's make a list. I'm warning you right now, this is complicated, but I did exactly this less than a week ago before wiping my computer.

Head here and download an Ubuntu ISO. Make absolutely sure you're not downloading the "alternative install disc", you want the regular one.

Since you can see the BIOS, you should be able to boot from that CD. Don't INSTALL Ubuntu unless you really want to try it (and you probably can't without wiping the drive, for reasons I'll explain in a bit). Instead, use "Try Ubuntu without changing anything." You may just automatically boot into Ubuntu straight from the CD, but either way you want to be on a desktop without installing anything.

If you're lucky, the NTFS partition will not be marked as "in use", and Ubuntu will be able to mount your C drive without any trouble. If that's the case, you can either put the data onto a USB drive, memory card, or whatever, or if you get your networking up (it SHOULD, but my laptop gave Ubuntu fits going online from the LiveCD for some reason) you can just email everything.

If you're unlucky, and it doesn't mount, you'll have one more step. Here's the tricky part. Open a Terminal by going to Applications --> Accesories --> Terminal. When the mounting fails, a box should appear telling you it couldn't mount /dev/sdax/. This x is going to be a number, and it'll depend on your particular hard drive setup what it is. Whatever that number is, go to the terminal and type (remember to replace the x with whatever number you're trying to mount):

Code:
mount -force /dev/sdax/ /media/
DISCLAIMER: THIS HAS A VERY SMALL CHANCE OF DOING VERY NASTY THINGS TO YOUR HARD DRIVE. IT IS EXTREMELY SMALL BUT IT IS STILL POSSIBLE.

(This syntax is actually mentioned in the error message window itself, but it adds an extra directory, /sdax/, to the /media/ which screws it up. If you were actually planning on using this Ubuntu for longer than the CD being in the drive, then you'd want to fix this, but since you're not, it's not worth it. Just mount the drive to /media/.)

Which will "forcefully" mount the drive, allowing you access to the data. This is the reason you probably can't install Ubuntu on a partition, because the partitioner can't resize the Windows partition if it's "in use".

This will allow you to at least get the data off and into a safe place, after which you can do a safe reinstall of Windows.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:29 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2009, 12:29 PM #3 of 8
If you have access to another Windows computer, mount the hard disk on an external USB enclosure, and retrieve from there.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:09 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2009, 02:09 PM #4 of 8
@Wailord: Why not mount the filesystem in read-only mode?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:58 PM #5 of 8
@Wail - thanks for the info, but I have bad luck, and it's the families computer, not mine. So I can't risk doing something that may cause problems, or else I'll have to sacrifice MY computer to them. Now, I'm not trying to sound selfish, but they've somehow gone through 2 hard drives already, that computer has had to be wiped and reloaded at least 4 times in the past 3 months due to an excessive number of viruses that made it nearly impossible to even boot or do anything.

@Zerg - I don't have an external enclosure readily available, and I'm pretty poor so I can't afford one. I can on the other hand hook it up INSIDE my desktop and retrieve from there if you think that's possible to do. Though... I mean, if that hard drive isn't loading the OS on the other computer right, I'm not sure if it will read correctly inside my computer. Do you think it will?

I was speaking idiomatically.

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:30 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2009, 11:30 PM #6 of 8
Mounting the fs in RO mode can't damage the filesystem since no data is written to it. If the drive is physically defect reading from it could possibly destroy it even more. But that would be even the case when accessing it through a USB enclosure.

Using a live disc is currently the best idea, since everything else involves disassembling the system.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:39 AM #7 of 8
Lyth: Few things.

1.) While it's easier to say than do, basically tell them if they get a virus on the computer, you'll take away access from it. If they get pissed, tell them that they obviously aren't surfing smart or with the right protection.

2.) Also, IF and only IF they are using your computer, make accounts with restrictive properties. It they start saying how it isn't fair, bring up they have gotten several viruses. Put up a very restrictive firewall, and anti-virus.

3.) With that being said, live disc is fine to use. You do NOT install the OS. It's what I used on my father's computer to rescue some old files he needed from a bummed HDD. Keep in mind the following, THERE IS A CHANCE YOU WILL LOSE DATA NO MATTER IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE OR REMOVE THE HDD AND INSTALL IT INTO ANOTHER COMPUTER. The basic reasoning is the HDD is being used to access data. So no matter which route you go, it could STILL happen, and unless your family wishes to pay a few hundred for professional data retrieval (which also isn't a 100 percent guarantee), this is the best route to go.

FELIPE NO
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:06 PM #8 of 8
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I just went with putting it in my computer, and just copied those files to my hard drive. I decided I'd stop being lazy and actually opened my case up. Anyway, I copied the files, and just did a wipe and reload on that HDD, then it started working fine again...

I am going to have to teach them how to surf safely now though, because I'm up there dealing with computer issues for them constantly.

Thanks again for the advice and methods guys.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer not booting OS