Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Any fans of Vandal Hearts here?

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 03:40 PM #1 of 11
Any fans of Vandal Hearts here?

I'm talking about the first one which is the far superior game, not the second one. The first doesn't have the depth and features that a game like FF Tactics has or even Disgaea, but it's tons of fun to play IMO. There aren't many games I had more fun playing than Vandal Hearts. It was basic, simple, yet fun. I thought it had a good soundtrack as well, and pretty good characters.

I have a tradition where I play and beat the game every year starting on december 20th and finish it before christmas(don't ask how that started). But I stopped that tradition in 2002 because, frankly, I just got tired of beating the game every year and had other games I was currently playing. Well this year I'm bringing the tradition back. I love Vandal Hearts.

Anyone else love this game as well?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:12 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 03:12 PM #2 of 11
I know the second one gets a lot of flak for the easy to exploit dual turn system, but I enjoyed it. It's because of that that I sought to acquire the first game, which I've heard is better. I haven't actually played it yet. Could you tell me a little more about it? I've heard that it has more varied battle goals compared to most SRPGs. Maybe I'll play it after I finish Summoner 2. It's been a while since I've played a good SRPG.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~MV
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:52 PM #3 of 11
If you have way too high of expectations going in then you'll probably be disappointed. It was one of the first PSX games I got and I wasn't expecting much, so I was it was a pleasant surprise. There isn't much of a story really, and there isn't much depth to the game. Nothing even close to FFT or Disgaea or games like that. To me it is very fun to play, and the class changing is simple and not a hassle like FFT was to me. Sometimes depth is good, but other times it can be more a hassle than it is fun. I think Vandal Hearts combined simplicity with fun factor very well.

There are towns but you can't explore them. There are basic menus in each town to do different things. But I personally find the battles very fun to play, and the attacks are cool. When you kill someone blood squirts out like a fountain. I think you should give it a try. You could probably find it on ebay rather cheap, and it's a fun but pretty short game.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:08 PM #4 of 11
I love Vandal Hearts. I actually never played the second one. Like the OP, I bought it on a whim. Wasn't expecting much from it, but it was quite a pleasant surprise. I liked the story quite a bit, and it even has a nice little time loop style twist.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:33 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 06:33 PM #5 of 11
A great game, it was among the first SRPG I have ever played. I didn't now much about it so no special expectation but I did have a good time playing it.

It was such a long time ago though

I was speaking idiomatically.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:49 PM #6 of 11
I really loved Vandal Hearts, and am thankful that my friend randomly gave it to me as a birthday present while I was in Grade 8.

The bloody death fountains and grandiose twirling before normal attacks were two of my favourite aspects. I also enjoyed the freedom of choice in character classes, although classes like Heavy Armor would be noticeably worse due to severe mobility limitations.

I wish that I had invested the time into replaying it to get the Vandalier class, which sounds rather overpowered.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:28 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 07:28 PM #7 of 11
You don't have to worry about expectations of complexity on my part. I thought Shining Force was great in its simplicity. Sometimes an excess of miscellaneous stuff like in Disgaea isn't such a positive for me. Thanks for the suggestion of where to buy it, but I actually already own it. I just haven't gotten around to playing it. (it's the same with Front Mission 3, for that matter) You're not the first to mention how fun it is, and fun factor is always the most important aspect of a game for me, so I'm going to go into it with an open mind when I get the chance.

FELIPE NO
~MV
Sharaz Jek
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10557

Level 3.31

Aug 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 01:55 AM #8 of 11
I personally enjoyed the second one. Never played the first.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 03:30 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 01:30 AM #9 of 11
Vandal Hearts was a completely unexpected sleeper hit for me. It happened to be so damn fun that I had to go back in time and play Shining Force, Front Mission, and other TRPG's that were out there.

It's probably been 9 years since I've played it but I still remember the opening sequence somewhat.

Thug: Scared baby?
<Ash appears>
kkkkssssssshhhhhh
<fountain of blood spouts out>

Some of the highlights:

-Ash is so badass. He opens up a can on everything.
-Kicking a boulder on top of some enemies.
-Making Dolan a guardmans and pimp slapping with his giant axe.
-Pwning the Crimson Guard on the map that you are surprised to run away from.
-Jumping on a moving train and kicking ass from car to car.

Damn. Vandal Hearts might be the #1 TRPG when it comes to pure asskicking factor. Sure it doesnt have the length, story, strategic depth, number of classes like others but was so damn fun.

Might have to pull VH out of the archive and start it up again.

VH2 was a travesty on the level of Disc 2 of Xenogears. <cry>

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ashaman
Life Animator

Member 964

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2006, 02:28 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2006, 12:28 AM #10 of 11
Oh yea, I loved Vandal Hearts. I only played the second one once and didn't get a very good ending, but I did enjoy the music. To this day I will listen to VH1, VH2, and FFT music if I am playing a strategy game which just can't compete (Hoshigami for one...).

Its been about 7 years since I beat the first one for the last time, but I do remember bits of it. It was fun trying to collect all of the secret items in order to become the chicken knight at the end and blasting everyone with the rainbow spell. Although, it was a pain if you missed an item and had to restart the game to get it. Also, on an early level with the healing spots you could level up all your guys to absurd levels (99 maybe? whatever the cap was) and then slaughter everyone after that. Especially the level when you had to run away, as someone already mentioned. I'm sure its common knowledge now, but back in the pre-GameFaqs era I was quite proud of discovering these tricks.

And the music, I loved the music! The first had such great themes, and the train music was perfect for the setting. The second game had more of an orchestrated feel and it was especially nice to have the remixed three tracks from the original game hidden in the bonus battles.

Aren't they coming out with a DS remake of this soon?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Asura
Carob Nut

Member 10741

Level 6.05

Aug 2006

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Aug 31, 2006, 05:40 PM #11 of 11
Theres been alot of negative comments on the graphics of vandal hearts.
Not that I ever listen to that because I dont really care about graphics. Now,
I can only talk about the first one in the series because I havent played the
second yet. Anyway, I like the 1st vandal hearts game alot, it didnt have alot
hassle like other SRPGs, it wasnt too hard either, but thats ok, I dont need
extreme hard games to fill my needs. I also like the soundtrack, its very
different from other games, I listen to it now and then.

Right now im playing wild arms 2, but after that Im planning to play
the second vandal hearts game.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Any fans of Vandal Hearts here?