Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - BATTLE 08 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:36 PM #1 of 78
Song of the Week - BATTLE 08 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating

Battle 08 Voting is open.
Week 65 Nominating is open.

Battle 08 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Tracks:
Suite Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III
Schrodinger's Cat - Die Katze von Schrodinger Game Soundtrack - GOLDARROW ~In a bar~ [Western]
Street Fighter EX2 - PRECIOUS HEART (Sakura)
Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry
Princess Banenn (Game Rip) - Music 04
Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare -
Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean
Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 65 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Chudah's Corner
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:06 AM #2 of 78
I've been waiting for this thread. I figured out my point allocations this morning.

2 Points - Schrodinger's Cat - Die Katze von Schrodinger Game Soundtrack - GOLDARROW ~In a bar~ [Western]

The fact that this was of a genre that was previously unrepresented in SotW makes this track stand out to me. No matter that its weekly competition was regarded to be lacking, it's a worthy tune in its own right. I'd have enjoyed it any week.

2 Points - Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

A very graceful, uplifting melody. The drums are also splendid.

2 Points - Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry

Although this track beat out "Machine Gun", I can't be upset. It's Sakimoto at his best.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:57 AM #3 of 78
Just a quick note about my nom: It's actually "Baba Yetu", not "Baba Yet". I fixed it in the wiki, but you'd probably want to know for when you make the MP3s and such. >_>

Most amazing jew boots
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 06:52 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 07:52 PM #4 of 78
Hmm, a tagging mistake by #gamemp3s? Or GH? By the way, MoO, was the Civ4 soundtrack released together with some special edition version of the game? In any case, I really need to check that soundtrack out one of these days.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 08:55 AM #5 of 78
Hmm...

I was sure I was gonna hate this battle. My least favorite tracks were winning. I wasn't satisfyed with any of the results at all (cept mabye Week 62).

Then I listen to the songs, and I'm left with an oddly satisfying taste in my mouth. Well good, I guess... I was just disappointed because there were many more deserving tracks, like Temptation, Esperanto, Pull Back the Bass, Many stage 5 themes, SMB2's Staff Roll, Strange Sunset...

Strange Sunset. Now THAT was awesome. It was doomed to failure since the previous week's SFEX track won, and noone likes it when a track from the same series places 2 times in a row, despite Sunset being infinitely times better than Precious Heart.

I also like how the same nominator nominated my favorite(Strange Sunset) and least favorite track(Revelation) this 8 week period. Seriously, what the hell.

How ya doing, buddy?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 01:24 PM #6 of 78
An interesting bunch; I actually gave most of them points during their respective weeks and there are only two that I really can't stand.

Suite Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III With a portentous title like "Suite Wizardry," I didn't expect any lighthearted QUIRKIN'. It's pleasant enough though, with very nice synth and some interesting development. I'd like it even better without the windy SFX during the best part; my policy on SFX in music is like my policy on talking in music: AH DUN LIEK IT.

Schrodinger's Cat - Die Katze von Schrodinger Game Soundtrack - GOLDARROW ~In a bar~ [Western] Ah, good old Western cliches. I don't think we've had such a track in SoTW before. Very charming, even if it is incredibly stereotypical--Ennio Morricone called, and he wants his song back

Street Fighter EX2 - PRECIOUS HEART (Sakura) The sultry 1985 sax returns. More than anything, this sounds like something Dave Grusin would have scored a movie with in the 80's--lightweight, disposable, and very much tied to that era in time, so much so that it sounds out of place in any other context. Not much to remind one of streets on the fighting on thereof.

Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry Ah, Treasure Hunter G, the Game of 1000 Composers. I'm not sure which of them did this one (I seem to remember that John Pee did the most), but it is one of the more traditional and straightforward tracks this week, not to mention being lovely and understated. I only wish it were longer and/or looped.

Princess Banenn (Game Rip) - Music 04 When the lovely piano music began, I was sure I was going to award points. When the Asian caterwauling began, I was sure that this would serve as an ironic counterpoint to my own nomination this week.

Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare - Better synth, worse implementation. Generic guitar work plus generic drum kit equals something I've heard before more or less dozens of times.

Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean The clear winner for me this week, combining lush strings, and ethnic choir, and a percussive base featuring dulcimer (!). I could do without the sax, but it doesn't spoil the mood as much as you'd think it would, and doesn't evoke 1985 Miami the way the instrument inevitable does. A real gem.

Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II") Piano and lush strings, and in a Falcom track? Anything's possible in the Special Box. While the melody's a bit mopey at times, the piano keeps the piece moving along at a nice clip. A little jazzy, a little classical, and a nice treat.

The Point Spread
Treasure Hunter G - 2 pts.
Uncharted Waters - 2 pts.
Falcom Special Box - 2 pts.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 03:09 PM #7 of 78
I forgot to assign special points.

6 Points of Sympathetic Love - Dark Savior (Game Rip) <Hiroshi Kondo> - First Parallel Theme

You should've come in first that week. If more people had showed up to vote, perhaps you would've.

FELIPE NO
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 08:42 AM #8 of 78
I had a fleshed out post and everything for this, but lost it due to attempting to add it at during the moments of the recent downtime beginning. To make a long story short, this wasn't a very hard decision for me.

3 points - Suite Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III
2 points - Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare -
1 point - Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:56 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 06:56 PM #9 of 78
2 points Suite Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III
2 points Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
1 point Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare -
1 point Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:02 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 07:02 PM #10 of 78
2 points - Street Fighter EX2 - PRECIOUS HEART (Sakura)

1 point - Princess Banenn (Game Rip) - Music 04

1 point - Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare -

2 points - Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 03:20 PM #11 of 78
3 - Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare
2 - Street Fighter EX2 - PRECIOUS HEART (Sakura)
1 - Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:52 PM #12 of 78
3 points - Street Fighter EX2 - PRECIOUS HEART (Sakura)
2 points - Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare
1 point - Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")

I missed a couple of weeks, but I can't say anything else was particularly surprising or noteworthy (outside of Boltac). So nothing to really pull me out of my schoolgirl/Falcom fetishes...At least I THINK Tsukihime would be counted under the schoolgirl fetish. Close enough...

I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:23 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 09:23 PM #13 of 78
I thought a number of songs were very close in terms of quality so voting was a bit hard.

(2 points) Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus - Avatar of Nightmare -

(2 points) Princess Banenn (Game Rip) - Music 04

(1 point) Suite Wizardry III - Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III

(1 point) Treasure Hunter G Original Soundtrack - Emperor of Balladry

"South african ocean" could have gotten a point but I felt that the saxaphone was out of place. It just didn't work for me as much as I'd wanted it to.

Most amazing jew boots
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:54 AM #14 of 78
It's odd in one sense that only one top vote-getter of mine made it into this group of eight. On the other hand, I think every track got points from me in some regard. I'll call the grouping tolerable, if not packed with heavy hitters like past battles.

(3 points) Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South African Ocean: Still my favorite. Majestic work.

(2 points) Princess Banenn (Game Rip) - Music 04: Should have paid more attention to this track (this was the week I missed). Not crazy about the vocals, but I love the nuanced piano work in the second half of the song.

(1 point) Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II"): Yes, more piano. Help me.

With apologies to: Emperor Of Balladry

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:42 AM #15 of 78
Now that the BSC 2006 is up and running, I wonder if we are considering putting SoTW on hiatus until the contest ends. I have a vague recollection of an SoTW hiatus during the previous BSC, but I can't substantiate it thanks to the crash.

Personally, I have enough free time to accomodate both SoTW and the BSC, but perhaps some others don't.

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:11 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 10:11 AM #16 of 78
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I wonder if we are considering putting SoTW on hiatus until the contest ends. I have a vague recollection of an SoTW hiatus during the previous BSC, but I can't substantiate it thanks to the crash.
Yes, we put SotW on hiatus during the last BSC. I made a poll and the majority of people wanted to put SotW on hold, stating that they didn't have enough time to commit to both. Since a lack of voters is always a bane, I would encourage another hiatus, or at least another poll.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 04:03 PM #17 of 78
Did we actually put the whole thing on hiatus or just extend voting periods? I thought we just added an extra week to the voting rounds during the first round of the BSC.

My memory, though, she's not so good.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:21 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 11:21 PM #18 of 78
Nor is Gamingforce's!

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 04:31 PM #19 of 78
Originally Posted by CHz
Did we actually put the whole thing on hiatus or...
Hiatus.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:32 PM #20 of 78
I see no reason to suspend SotW for a contest whose organizer cannot even show up to run himself.

TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 02:17 AM #21 of 78
Crash, I'm curious as to what you have against Aardork?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:41 PM #22 of 78
I think I got food poisoning from the Latvian booth at the World's Fair once. I will never forgive him or his people.

Most amazing jew boots
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:33 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 08:33 PM #23 of 78
I certainly don't have the kind of time I used to have before. *sigh* Perhaps to accomodate eveyone we could run SotW for over two weeks instead of one. If that doesn't work out and participation hits a record low, we could put SotW on hiatus. I mean, you all know what happened the last time that occured, right? But that said, running SotW during the BSC might be good in that people particpating in the BSC might take note of SotW and decide to join in. So...

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 10:29 AM #24 of 78
I'm not sure if I can vote for this battle. All of the contenders are high-quality tracks. I figure whatever I vote for will just be subjective, but I suppose that's the entire point of voting in the first place. If I return later to award points, you know I will have succumbed to my biases.

How ya doing, buddy?
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:40 AM #25 of 78
3 points: Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
2 points: Suite Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds - Boltac's Trading Post III
1 point: Tobi Tsukihime Soundtrack - Stage 5 - amVirus : Avatar of Nightmare -

To clarify, BOTH "Strange sunset" and "Revelation" should have won. It's not my fault people don't recognize superior music. This was the weakest crop of Battle tracks I've heard. Most of them didn't deserve to win their weeks.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - BATTLE 08 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating