Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] City of Heroes & City of Villains - A Super MMORPG

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:19 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2008, 11:19 PM #1 of 9
City of Heroes & City of Villains - A Super MMORPG

What is City of Heroes & City of Villains?

Simply put, The "City Of..." Games are two Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) which deal with YOU, the player, becoming either a Super Hero or Super Villain based on the superhero comic-book genre.

What do I do in the City of Games?

YOUR GOAL is in the broadest sense to either thwart the forces of evil and save the world, OR vanqish the forces of good and obtain ultimate power by playing as a Hero or Villain.

What do you mean by Hero or Villain?

For the literal definition, please consult the Internet for a quick answer:
Super Hero
Super Villain

In the context of the games however: City of Heroes and City of Villains were at one time two stand-alone, but co-existing games. Heroes was released in 2004, Villains a year later.
For a while, Villains functioned as an expansion to City of Heroes as well as its own standalone title. Now, the two MMOs have merged to the point where if you buy one game, you buy the other for no additional cost.
Players can have characters as a Villain or a Hero on the same server, and in some specific instances, can even put-aside their differences and team up to fight a shared greater threat.

So what about making my own Villain/Hero?

YOU, the player, must decide at the beginning of your career the identity of your Hero or Villain.
You do this by selecting a few different choices which can dramatically impact gameplay choices and other decisions father down the road.

The major options for the player are as follows in order from first to last:
  • Server Choice
  • Hero or Villain
  • Primary Power
  • Secondary Power
  • Origin
  • The costume
  • The name and (optional) Background of the character.
  • Tutorial Zone or Not?

Screenshots:

Once all of that is done, if you are new to the game, you can start in the Tutorial Zone, designed to slowly introduce players into the world of the game,
If you do not wish to go into the tutorial, you are then taken to the game proper, which takes place in two locations:

In the Rogue Isles, located off Bermuda in the Atlantic Ocean, Villains must start off by working their way out of a shared pit that is known as Mercy Island, used as a dumping pad to see who survives and who flounders.

In Paragon City, located in the U.S. State of Rhode Island, Heroes can either start in the Neighborhoods of Galaxy City or Atlas Park:
Atlas Park is usually more populated and works well for the Hero wishing to Team-up, while Galaxy City is smaller and tailored more to those who wish to take a solo approach.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Where can I find More Information?

The Official Websites linked in the Logos are a good starting point, but these other websites also provide good information about the game:

IGN's City of Villains Vault
IGN's City of Heroes Vault
European Official Site (Heroes)
European Official Site (Villains)
ParagonWiki - The Largest Unofficial "City of" Reference Site.
Server Status & Daily Maintenance Schedule

I also came across a Youtube video series that does a great deal in showing the player the beginning of the game, so if you're curious, you can check that out below:

Part 1:
YouTube Video

Part 2:
YouTube Video

For the rest of the tutorial, please see that User's Channel

You mentioned Servers, I live in [X], which server should I use?

Good question. The answer is shamelessly ripped from the Wikipedia article: City of Heroes and City of Villains employ several servers that are based in different geographic zones (some are based in Virginia, others are in California).
The servers are divided between the American and European markets, with separate servers specifically for German and French players.
The various servers are as follows:

American servers
  • Freedom
  • Justice
  • Pinnacle
  • Virtue
  • Liberty
  • Guardian
  • Infinity
  • Protector
  • Victory
  • Champion
  • Triumph
  • Training Room (Public test server)
  • Shibboleth (Private server for in-house developer testing)

European servers
  • Defiant (English-language server)
  • Union (English-language server)
  • Vigilance (French-language server)
  • Zukunft (German-language server)
  • EU Training Room (Public test server)

For a More detailed break-down of the servers, please refer to this link:
Paragon Wiki Server List

All of this sound great, but what about GFF?

This thread is designed for players to get introduced into the game if they have never heard of it, and to gather those who DO play and are a part of Gamingforce to have a good time by teaming up and having a great time.

For those who are new to the game:
There is a 14-Day Free Trial available for you to check out the game and see what its all about, this one courtesy of PC Advisor
Once you have obtained the free Trial, Head over to the City of Heroes Free-Trial website for more information on downloading the game and starting up.

For those who have played before:
This thread will list all the players, the two servers they play on the most, their top 3-4 characters, and what time / days they are available generally to play,
and of course negotiate about larger situations such as Task Forces or Badge Collecting, among other details.

GFF PLAYER LIST?
As you might expect, this lists members who are playing the game.
(List to be expanded as needed)
  • GFF USERNAME - SERVERS - IN-GAME CHARACTER NAMES (
  • DarkMageOzzie - Liberty - Ultimo Girl (Hero), President Evil (Villain)
  • Dark Nation - Virtue, Champion - Zoe Onyx (Hero), Psychic Detective (Hero)
  • Terra - Union - N/A

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask in this thread, or send a PM my way

For Moderators

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Oct 27, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:33 AM #2 of 9
I play on Liberty. Main villain is named President Evil and my main hero is Ultimo Girl. We already have a CoH thread on here, I don't think GFF is that interested.

I really do love this game though. It's the only MMO I've ever stomached getting to max level in.

Most amazing jew boots

"Out thought and out fought."
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 04:09 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2008, 02:09 AM #3 of 9
We already have a CoH thread on here, I don't think GFF is that interested.
Well as far as the old thread goes, it was crap, I actually took some EFFORT for this one, and it was over 2 months old.

GFF's non-interest however is readily apparent. Might as well save myself the trouble and cut my losses.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 04:18 AM #4 of 9
Yeah, I played for a few months but GFF isn't interested in anything but night elves apparently =/

How ya doing, buddy?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 05:30 AM #5 of 9
Night Elves you say? I actually made one in CoH once. It's fairly easy. Glowing green eyes, purple skin, and imp ears.

Well as far as the old thread goes, it was crap, I actually took some EFFORT for this one, and it was over 2 months old.

GFF's non-interest however is readily apparent. Might as well save myself the trouble and cut my losses.
If you ever roll an alt on Liberty let me know. I'm in a pretty decent SG there.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:11 PM #6 of 9
I remember playing this game =)

Back when WoW was being released, CoH had almost same launch date for beta / retailer.

Good old times, I might play again but no game card in my local.

Anyways, I might play again if we have enough people on same server D:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:47 AM #7 of 9
You'd have to look for a PlayNC gamecard rather then a City of Heroes gamecard since retailers no longer carry the cards for their individual games.

FELIPE NO

Terra
Imp

Member 26

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:45 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 12:45 PM #8 of 9
I've received my first veteran reward ten days ago. I remember reading somewhere that burnt-out WoW players would get a kick out of this. It's true. The change of scenery is very refreshing, just flying around entertains me. And ragdolls, it's got ragdolls. Nothing spells fun like blasting a thug with shimmering, blue energy and sending him flying off a rooftop. I love this game.

Anyhoo, I play on Union. Managed to find some good RP SGs.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:45 AM #9 of 9
Ah yeah, ragdoll physics. Just one of the many things they added since the game's original launch. I think alot of people who claim not to like it only played it around launch when the game felt... empty. There wasn't much to do, now there is so much to do Hero side that I don't know where I want to go as I'm leveling up.

But the sending enemies flying thing is fun. I've had some fun and silly occurances with it. Once with my mastermind I hit an enemy with an attack that knocked him down when he was standing on a ledge, however as he tumbled forward his foot caught on the edge somehow and he just hung upside down helpless as my ninjas pelted him with Shuriken till he died. Another time I had knocked a robot back into a corner that he was slightly too big for so he got stuck and couldn't defend himself. Sometimes it's also just funny to see the way the enemies land.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] City of Heroes & City of Villains - A Super MMORPG