Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

This forum used to be so active...

Ruken
Wark!

Member 3341

Level 2.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:28 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 04:28 PM #1 of 50
This forum used to be so active...

I'm just wondering what happened because back in high school I used to come here every day.

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:32 PM #2 of 50
You left and this made us all sad.

What you see is the result of that depression.

Thanks a lot. Jerk.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 05:41 PM #3 of 50
There are a variety of factors that are causes:

1.) People have outgrown GFF. Some people aren't interested in video games anymore, or perhaps VGM. Others aren't interested in the activities here. Yet others just aren't interested in the community.

2.) The crashes. I'd say the last big crash caused a lot of members to just up and leave. that, coupled with us being Gamingforce.net for a good while, meant old members thought Gamingforce was gone, period, and long since gave up.

3.) Loss of music. This is an older reason but after GFF stopped offering VGM, a lot of people just went on to another site.

4.) Other. This probably includes things like members getting upset at GFF as a whole, members leaving due to the various other crashes, people getting banned, and so forth.

Of course members leaving can also result in other members leaving (e.g. One member leaves who is good friends with X. X wonders why that member left, and upon finding out, decides to go with that member to wherever) and as there have been less posts in recent time, people see it as a sign that the forum is 'dying' and hence moving on, which of course continues the cycle.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:31 PM #4 of 50
ahahahahaha

I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at "Well there are a variety of factors such as: ... and 'Other'."

There may not be as much posting activity, but I think there are more community events. I mean, we have Club Drink On, the meets (New England, Texas, "Other"), D&D, a journal making its way across the planet, Sass's knitting and the various song contests and various object exchanges going on.

Also if my boyfriend (a lurker) leaves, I'm totally not sticking around here anymore.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:30 PM 2 #5 of 50
It's because I've stopped causing drama.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:44 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 05:44 PM #6 of 50
back in high school I used to come here every day.
So why did you not visit post-high school.

Why you gotta blame us.

Why not blame yourself.

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:36 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2009, 12:36 PM #7 of 50
It's because Megalith hardly ever posts any more.

Why lie.

FELIPE NO
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:42 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2009, 06:42 PM #8 of 50
I'm just wondering what happened because back in high school I used to come here every day.
Back in high school, I visited here (almost) every day, and now I'm still doing it. Grow up, man. You're absurd.

How ya doing, buddy?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:17 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2009, 01:17 PM #9 of 50
Yeah what the hell, all the cool members are gone

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:23 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2009, 05:23 AM #10 of 50
^ I only come back because these guys keep posting.

Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:22 AM #11 of 50
It's probably because the naked gff members thread was lost after the crash. That's most likely it. Yes, I have great confidence in this.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:37 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2009, 08:37 AM #12 of 50
Someone lost the Final Fantasy VII battle theme sheet music for woodwind quartets. Everyone has to settle for actual classical music now

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:18 AM #13 of 50
Everyone became a prick or a douche and scared everyone off with their smart ass comments.

I'm still a regular poster though, like every two weeks.

New Record!
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:34 AM #14 of 50
I feel like forums in general just lost their place in the internet. I am not sure what I mean, but it seems like people used to be more excited about forming internet communities, but with facebook, twitter, and blogs, people have turned towards the internet at large or the friends they know from college/work rather than strangers.

I could be completely wrong and full of shit, though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:43 AM 1 #15 of 50
Actually I feel that forums and irc are a nice refuge from general large mass social sites that run rampant these days. Gives you a nice cliche and the organization and discussion is just oh so much better.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:06 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2009, 03:06 PM #16 of 50
And in a forum you can actually get to know new people, whereas I for one tend to ignore friend requests or whatever on Facebook from people I don't already know.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:11 AM #17 of 50
I know you miss me posting but I've been pretty busy lately. You'll just have to be patient, okay?

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:22 AM #18 of 50
And in a forum you can actually get to know new people, whereas I for one tend to ignore friend requests or whatever on Facebook from people I don't already know.
That's because strangers who send friend requests to you are creepy and broken, or they want to have with you. Or both! In any case, accepting them's probably a bad idea.

Ruken
Wark!

Member 3341

Level 2.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 02:43 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2009, 01:43 AM #19 of 50
^ I only come back because these guys keep posting.
I actually remember you! You used to post all the time.
Yeah what the hell, all the cool members are gone
And you too!

Additional Spam:
Well when I first started coming here back in...2003 maybe??? I was a pretty heavy lurker and wasn't quite out of junior high. I really liked the community and thought it had some of the highest quality topics/users I'd seen on any forum to date. Since I didn't even know about the FTP VGM hosting until some time after discovering the site; I obviously wasn't here for that.

I even had a few successful topics in the quiet place and general board. I guess the reason I stopped coming was because I got more engrossed in a forum over at GameFAQs and because there was a long period of time where the site was unavailable to me (the crashes?)

Last edited by Ruken; Aug 1, 2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 06:21 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2009, 05:21 AM #20 of 50
We banned Elixir, Simply Majestic, Yama, Simply Majestic again, that dude with kirby's air ride, and Divest.

With the lion's share of idiots gone, we just didn't have that much left to talk about. All of our idiots now are fairly quiet about it. Ozma, Mersenne and Peter just don't garner the same levels of abject loathing.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 06:33 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2009, 04:33 PM #21 of 50
Well i remember musharraf, i too logged in today after years, just to check. I once had debate with mods how GFF losing charm due to ffshrine forums and the only redeeming quality of GFF was sharing music(when they made fun on gfaqs).

The other party probably found other homes like famous Neogaf. But my point was right, GFF will be dead.

Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 07:03 AM #22 of 50
Additional Spam:
I guess the reason I stopped coming was because I got more engrossed in a forum over at GameFAQs and because there was a long period of time where the site was unavailable to me (the crashes?)
..... Really?

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 07:56 AM #23 of 50
Rarely could I stand GameFAQ forums. Half the time if it's for a popular game, I see the same question over and over and over again. And then I see threads bashing people who ask that question over and over again.

I do think that Marco brings up a valid point--with LiveJournal, Facebook, etc out now, along with things like Twitter, forums like this are fading away because people would much rather use those social networks.

One thing though is GFF has been around nine years now (actually, almost ten). I think it's longevity is one of the factors for it being around because those members who have been around for years know each other quite a bit and cling to each other to an extent. That then, goes back to what i said earlier in when some of thsoe members finally do leave, others go with them.

It would be kind of cool to draw back some of those old members. If we drew them back, others would probably come, and that would give the forum more activity would may give new people more of a reason to join.

that though may be very difficult if not impossible to do. Plus, people here aren't exactly begging for members. They are generally happy to greet and socialize with old and new ones alike but for most members, it's not the be all, end all to have a large forum anymore. Just having people to socialize with, whether it be 10,000, or 10, is sufficient.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:27 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2009, 11:27 PM 3 #24 of 50
The other party probably found other homes like famous Neogaf. But my point was right, GFF will be dead.
Really? And here I'm scratching my head wondering why GFF just won't fucking die

I mean, I even made CHz an administrator and all

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:31 AM #25 of 50
I even had a few successful topics in the quiet place and general board. I guess the reason I stopped coming was because I got more engrossed in a forum over at GameFAQs and because there was a long period of time where the site was unavailable to me (the crashes?)
Wat.

Going on about GameFAQs, I don't see how anyone could actually hold a legitimate discussion there. You get the most shit on any game featured in the Top 10 Games list on the main page. Most of them ARE stupid questions and full of people who think talking without proper grammar will get them somewhere and show how awesome they are on the shitty board they're posting on.

What I've liked about this place is that you could legitimately get an intelligent discussion on games here. Sure, half of it would be sarcastic bashing towards one another, but hell, it still looks more intelligent than half the shit you get on NeoGAF.

I never understood the appeal of NeoGAF either for that matter.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > This forum used to be so active...