Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Supertrain Megathread

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:40 PM #1 of 7
Supertrain Megathread

This is the 30th anniversary of the airing of Supertrain. What's that? You've never heard of Supertrain?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Supertrain is an American television drama/adventure series that ran on NBC from February 7 to May 5, 1979. Nine episodes were made, including a 2-hour pilot episode.

The series took place on the "Supertrain", an imagined nuclear-powered bullet train that was equipped with amenities more appropriate to a cruise ship than a train, such as swimming pools and shopping centers. It was so big it had to run on very broad gauge track (not two sets of tracks as depicted in some advertising). The train took 36 hours to go from New York City to Los Angeles. Much like its contemporary The Love Boat, the plots concerned the passengers' social lives, usually with multiple intertwining storylines, and most of the cast was composed of guest stars. The production was elaborate, with huge sets and a high-tech model train for outside shots.

At the time, Supertrain was the most expensive series ever aired in the United States. The production was beset by problems, including a model train that crashed, and while it was heavily advertised during the 1978-1979 season, it suffered from bad reviews and low viewership; despite attempts to salvage the show by reworking the cast, it never took off and left the air after only three months. NBC was never able to make up the production losses (it produced the show itself, at first with help from Dark Shadows producer Dan Curtis), and combined with the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics the next season (which cost NBC millions in ad revenue), it nearly bankrupted the network. For these reasons, Supertrain is usually cited as one of the greatest television flops.
The Love Boat set on a nuclear train? How could that possibly fail? Let's take a look at the opening credits.

YouTube Video

Someone's posted the entire first episode on Youtube in 10 parts. One of the best parts is at 3:30.

YouTube Video

Here's a fansite that lists everything you want to know and more about Supertrain, including a broken link to a furry website. Begin your petition for NBC to bring back Supertrain here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:08 PM #2 of 7
Clearly the key to Supertrain's failure was the lack of Ernest Borgnine. Gay Groucho Marx lookalikes can't carry a show alone, and Airwolf proved that only Mr. Borgnine is qualified to operate nuclear-powered vehicles.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:07 PM #3 of 7
The lack of love for Supertrain saddens me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:09 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2009, 06:09 PM #4 of 7
I'd be much more willing to discuss Airwolf, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:19 PM #5 of 7
I'd be much more willing to discuss Airwolf, though.
Then we can talk about H.M. Wynant, who was in both Supertrain and Airwolf.

You're just jealous because Canada will never have a Supertrain. Who would want to go to Toronto and Vancouver in the span of 2 days?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:21 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2009, 06:21 PM 1 #6 of 7
Jokes on you. No one wants to go to Toronto anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:20 AM #7 of 7
Isn't there some sort of requirement for Canadians to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame at least once in their lives, like some sort of Canuck Mecca?

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Supertrain Megathread