Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Secure Networking with Windows

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:05 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2010, 02:05 PM #1 of 8
Secure Networking with Windows

Hey guys. I'm thinking about setting up a fileserver here in my lab and am looking for a little bit of help. Unfortunately, I've got a whole boatload of different computers using different installations of Windows (probably 2k through 7) and I'm looking for a way to securely allow a drive on one of those PCs to be a network drive accessible to only specific other users.

I'd rather not go the FTP route since I want this to be something people in the group access regularly. It would host backups of experimental data as well as be a central place for everyone to share papers they've read.

Any advice on a route to take or basic walkthroughs somewhere on the web?

Most amazing jew boots
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:27 PM #2 of 8
What is the operating system of the computer you are planning on sharing this drive from? Or is that not something firmly established yet?
There are some Linux OS variants which allow one to repurpose a computer into a NAS.
Alternatively, you could probably set up some simple file sharing with a password protected drive/folder.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:17 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2010, 03:17 PM #3 of 8
It will likely be a Win7 computer, as it's currently running our license server for ProEngineer or some program similar to that.

How secure is the simple file sharing stuff? I'd like to be able to limit access to people within a certain IP range or some other method similar to that such that you need your computer to be granted access in order to get into the files.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:56 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2010, 02:56 PM #4 of 8
When you set up a share in Windows, you can specify permissions for that share under the Security tab. First thing to do is remove "Everybody" group from permissions and then just add users who need access to it. Give those users Read and only Read, unless its a dump folder for them. Short of putting in GPOs, this is about as secure as you can get. If there's too many users to manually manage, create a group and stuff them all in there, then add that group to the permissions with whatever permissions they need.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:16 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2010, 04:16 PM #5 of 8
Shade, how would you set up users and such for remote computers? This is a PC that's just going to be running in the back of someone's office, so people won't actually be logging on/off of it.

Also, I remember in the past there being issues with setting up computers to be on the same Workgroup and all that jazz. Do I still need to set everyone to be on the same one of those?

I was speaking idiomatically.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:32 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2010, 03:32 PM #6 of 8
Set up users for remote computers? If you remove the Everybody group, set Public Sharing to off, and turn Password Protected sharing on, the remote computer should ask for a user/pass when the user requests the share, in which the user would enter a user/pass for login. If you're looking to have the computer login based on the individual computer's login credentials, then you're starting to get into policy objects and things get "fun" :P

Workgroup only matters for the whole "computers near you" aspect. When you browse for computers, computers in the same workgroup will be listed immediately. You can still find any computer on any workgroup within your network by browsing the entire network, or manually going to it (\\servername\).

EDIT: I should clarify something real quick. Generally, if you set up a user/pass on the fileserver that matches that of a user's windows login, they can usually just access the share, because Windows file sharing will attempt the user/pass associated with the Windows login first. However, this isn't always the case, as Windows file sharing is a magical beast that only works when it wants to

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:23 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2010, 05:23 PM #7 of 8
Thanks shade, I'll give it a shot.

Also, that tip about making your Windows Profile and User name the same just fixed the issue I had been having with connecting to my university's network space!

How ya doing, buddy?
jacks2028
Wark!

Member 35893

Level 1.10

Jun 2010

Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:11 AM 1 #8 of 8
I read your problem which is related with secure networking. When you set up a share in Windows, you can specify permissions for that share under the Security tab. Give those users Read and only Read, unless its a dump folder for them. Short of putting in GPO, this is about as secure as you can get. And you can also done secure networking with windows.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Secure Networking with Windows