Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows Vista Volume Licensing

Eiolon
Small Two of Pieces

Member 2397

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:28 AM #1 of 23
Windows Vista Volume Licensing

I'm not sure where to post this but I just wanted everyone to know that we received our Volume Licensing for Windows Vista today and it requires activation, unlike Windows XP Volume Licensing.

There are two ways to do this:

VA 2.0/MAK - Volume Activation 2.0/Multiple Activation Key: this key will activate Microsoft Windows Vista through the internet or telephone, and have a limited number of activations associated with them. Computers can be activated on an individual basis or by a central computer which can activate multiple computers at a time. If you require a MAK please click on the Request Multiple Activation Key(s) link.

VA 2.0/KMS - Volume Activation 2.0/Key Management Service: this key will be used to enable a new service in your environment that will automatically activate Windows Vista computers. You must have a minimum of 25 Windows Vista computers connected together to use the KMS, and all computers will be required to check back to the central service twice per year to stay activated.

Not to say there won't be any workarounds to bypass activation but it looks like Microsoft is taking a harder stance on business owners.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 04:35 PM #2 of 23
Considering that Windows XP Corporate Edition was extensively pirated, who can blame them? It apparently did not require activation, and so was the pirate's OS of choice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:18 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 02:18 PM #3 of 23
We should all just wait until the consumer editions come out. Not only will there be many more piracy/activation workarounds by then, but we will also have a more stable and tested OS by then.

Early adopters always get the shaft be the legitimate or pirate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 12:55 AM #4 of 23
I have way to Activation your WinVista RTM (6000) if you want.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 11:30 PM #5 of 23
Hm, guess any halfaway experienced user who hasn't seriously considered switching the OS by now is in it for gaming, mission-critical apps or the pain. There will be the usual stability and compatibility issues (not all might be resolved, even over time) and then there is this tinkering with cracks ... unless you get your hands on a legit copy of this insanely priced product.

Still, I got a good laugh out of the news regarding volume license activation. The idea of some little gizmo, sitting on one of a company's servers, busily calling home ... well, I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

I was speaking idiomatically.
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 02:20 PM Local time: May 23, 2007, 02:20 PM #6 of 23
I, too, used Ryu's way for my Vista Ultimate.

Most amazing jew boots
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 07:55 PM Local time: May 23, 2007, 05:55 PM #7 of 23
I, too, used Ryu's way for my Vista Ultimate.
And what way is that, exactly? He sure doesn't explain it.

Merv posted an activation crack somewhere a while ago, and I've heard it works flawlessly.

FELIPE NO
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 11:30 AM Local time: May 24, 2007, 05:30 PM #8 of 23
Don't know if anyone else knew this, but with the Vista Licensing, your still able to install XP Professional instead of Vista.

Found that out from our supplier along with some interesting info about Microsoft changing some of the names of their products. If I recall, Frontpage is now called Sharepoint.

Most amazing jew boots
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 07:35 PM Local time: May 24, 2007, 07:35 PM #9 of 23
And what way is that, exactly? He sure doesn't explain it.

Merv posted an activation crack somewhere a while ago, and I've heard it works flawlessly.
And that's the one I used.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
flakpyro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16951

Level 1.86

Dec 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 09:50 PM Local time: May 24, 2007, 08:50 PM #10 of 23
Don't know if anyone else knew this, but with the Vista Licensing, your still able to install XP Professional instead of Vista.

Found that out from our supplier along with some interesting info about Microsoft changing some of the names of their products. If I recall, Frontpage is now called Sharepoint.
Frontpage and sharepoint are very different thinks, sharepoint is a dynamic web app that intergrates with Office for group collaboration, front page is a crappy HTML WYSIWYG

Most amazing jew boots
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:50 AM Local time: May 24, 2007, 11:50 PM #11 of 23
They discontinued Frontpage (AMEN!) and released a new website design software called Expression Web. It branches into two parts: Standalone program, and a version that's integrated into Sharepoint itself for those poor saps running Sharepoint over a network.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
flakpyro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16951

Level 1.86

Dec 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 10:12 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 09:12 PM #12 of 23
They discontinued Frontpage (AMEN!) and released a new website design software called Expression Web. It branches into two parts: Standalone program, and a version that's integrated into Sharepoint itself for those poor saps running Sharepoint over a network.
We will be soon

Most amazing jew boots
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 03:53 AM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 08:53 AM #13 of 23
Can someone please post the crack? It'd be interesting to see if it's the one released by PANTHEON; I never got the chance to try it out.

OEM versions of Vista, which includes all the sub-versions from Home Basic to Ultimate, do not require activation and was released quite a while ago. Updates work immediately after install with no fuss at all. Unless Microsoft can block such OEM copies (WGA2 or are OEM copies "watermarked"?) then this will no doubt become "pirates' OS of choice".

Regarding KMS, the activation server was leaked and released before the existance of the timer cracks. It was the only way then to activate the corporate editions of Vista. Although, it was not much of use for those who wished to activate Ultimate.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 04:26 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 02:26 PM #14 of 23
Can someone please post the crack? It'd be interesting to see if it's the one released by PANTHEON; I never got the chance to try it out.

OEM versions of Vista, which includes all the sub-versions from Home Basic to Ultimate, do not require activation and was released quite a while ago. Updates work immediately after install with no fuss at all. Unless Microsoft can block such OEM copies (WGA2 or are OEM copies "watermarked"?) then this will no doubt become "pirates' OS of choice".

Regarding KMS, the activation server was leaked and released before the existance of the timer cracks. It was the only way then to activate the corporate editions of Vista. Although, it was not much of use for those who wished to activate Ultimate.
The one I have now (thx Merv) is by Team Paradox. This is a copy and paste from the readme:

Spoiler:
Code:
		*** OEM BIOS Emulation Toolkit For Windows Vista x86 v1.0 ***

What's the purpose of this release?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bypassing the product activation requirement of Microsoft Windows Vista x86.

How does it work?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft allows large hardware manufacturers (e.g. ASUS, HP, Dell) to ship their products
containing a Windows Vista installation that does NOT require any kind of product activation as
this might be considered an unnecessary inconvenience for the end-user.
Instead these so-called 'Royalty OEMs' are granted the right to embed certain license information
into their hardware products, which can be validated by Windows Vista to make obtaining further
activation information (online or by phone) obsolete.
This mechanism is commonly referred to as 'SLP 2.0' ('system-locked pre-installation 2.0') and
consists of the following three key elements:

1. The OEM's hardware-embedded BIOS ACPI_SLIC information signed by Microsoft.

2. A certificate issued by Microsoft that corresponds to the specific ACPI_SLIC information.

The certificate is an XML file found on the OEM's installation/recovery media,
   ususally called something like 'oemname.xrm-ms'.

3. A special type of product key that corresponds to the installed edition of Windows Vista.

This key can usually be obtained from some installation script found on the OEM's
   installation/recovery media or directly from a pre-installed OEM system.

If all three elements match Windows Vista's licensing mechansim considers the given
installation a valid system-locked pre-activated copy (that does not require any
additional product activation procedures).

So the basic concept of the tool at hand is to present any given BIOS ACPI_SLIC information to Windows
Vista's licensing mechanism by means of a device driver.
In combination with a matching product key and OEM certificate this allows for rendering any system
practically indistinguishable from a legit pre-activated system shipped by the respective OEM.

How do I use it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preliminary hint:
Most operations described below require elevated privileges, so disabling UAC (Run->MSCONFIG.EXE->
Tools->Disable UAC) for the time being is recommended, Of course, it can be safely re-enabled after
all steps have been performed. Otherwise OEMTOOL.EXE and some SLMGR.VBS operations must be explicitly
run with adminstrative privileges.

1. Install the Windows Vista x86 edition of your choice without entering any product key during setup.
   Basically any Windows Vista x86 installation media will do, regardless if it's MSDN/Retail/OEM/...,
   MSDN/Retail are recommended though.

2. Install the emulation driver.

Run OEMTOOL.EXE, select the OEM BIOS information to emulate (ASUS might be a good choice given the
   fact that it's the only OEM for which a complete set of product keys is provided ;)) and hit the
   '<Install Emulation Driver>' button.

Alternatively you can just right-click the ROYAL.INF file and chose 'Install' from the appearing
   menu. This only allows for installing the default OEM BIOS information (ASUS) though and is strongly
   discouraged unless OEMTOOL.EXE fails for some unknown reason.

When prompted about whether to install an unsigned driver, allow it.
   (For some odd reason Microsoft didn't wanna sign this one...;))

3. Reboot your machine.

4. Install the OEM certificate matching your OEM selection during driver installation by running

SLMGR.VBS -ilc <OEMNAME>.XRM-MS

(e.g. "SLMGR.VBS -ilc C:\ASUS.XRM-MS" if you chose to install the default driver and extracted
    the certificate file to C:\)

Note that this operation might take quite a while depending on your system, so be patient.

5. Install an OEM product key matching the installed edition of Windows Vista x86 by running

SLMGR.VBS -ipk <OEM_PRODUCT_KEY>

(e.g. "SLMGR.VBS -ipk 6F2D7-2PCG6-YQQTB-FWK9V-932CC" if you're running Windows Vista Ultimate using
    the default emulation driver)

Note that this operation might take quite a while depending on your system, so be patient.

See PKEYS.TXT for a list of OEM product keys published by different OEMs.

6. Run 'SLMGR.VBS -dlv' or right-click 'Computer' and chose 'Properties' to verify your licensing status.

Due to the variety of possible combinations of different earlier Vista activation hacks we're not gonna
provide details on 'persuading' existing installations to accept this method.
During our test the general procedure depicted above worked out fine though, i.e. installing the emulation
driver, rebooting the machine and then using the officially documented ways of installing a matching OEM
certificate and product key should do the trick in all but the most messed up cases.

What's that '<Dump OEM BIOS Information>' button in OEMTOOL.EXE for?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It dumps the BIOS ACPI_SLIC information of any SLP 2.0-enabled OEM system.
The dump can consecutively be used to emulate ('clone') that information on any other system by specifying
the 'Custom' option.
Using this function on a system booted using the emulation driver will give a dump identical to the currently
emulated OEM BIOS information, so be sure to uninstall the driver and reboot the source machine first if you
intend to dump the actual hardware-embedded OEM BIOS data.

What are all those files for?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIFXAPI.DLL			- a runtime dll for Microsoft's DIFx API used by oemtool.exe
OEMTOOL.EXE			- an application for installing/uninstalling the emulation driver
			  	  and dumping BIOS ACPI_SLIC information from any SLP 2.0-enabled
			  	  Windows Vista OEM system
PKEYS.TXT			- contains a list of validated OEM product keys
README.TXT			- this file
ROYAL.INF			- driver .INF file, can be (ab)used to install the emulation driver
			  	  in case oemtool.exe fails to perform this task
ROYAL.SYS			- the emulation device driver

CERTS\ACER.XRM-MS		- the certificate that corresponds to the ACPI_SLIC information
			  	  emulated by the driver when 'Acer' has been selected during
			  	  driver installation
CERTS\ASUS.XRM-MS		- the certificate that corresponds to the ACPI_SLIC information
			  	  emulated by the driver when 'ASUS' has been selected during
			  	  driver installation
CERTS\HEWLETT-PACKARD.XRM-MS	- the certificate that corresponds to the ACPI_SLIC information
			  	  emulated by the driver when 'Hewlett-Packard' has been selected
			  	  during driver installation
CERTS\LENOVO.XRM-MS		- the certificate that corresponds to the ACPI_SLIC information
			  	  emulated by the driver when 'Lenovo' has been selected during
			  	  driver installation

Enjoy,
TEAM PARADOX '07

I can still post it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Marina
Bear-ri-con

Member 13607

Level 8.62

Oct 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:22 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 10:22 AM #15 of 23
I hate Vista!
I've just bought my new notebook (asus), overall it's an OK spec but because Vista OS it's very very slow and I've glitched NWN eventhrough I've ATI radeon X2300! I can't even play KOTOR 2 which is really old game!
It's bother me to search for new program for vista compatible as well (I can't use my old Kaspersky)......... I hate it!

How ya doing, buddy?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:41 PM #16 of 23
Yeah, I'd hate something too if it gave me grammar as bad as yours.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:14 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 11:14 PM #17 of 23
This would be a problem if, and only if, Vista were worth pirating in the first place right now. We'll see in a while if that remains true.

We should all just wait until the consumer editions come out. Not only will there be many more piracy/activation workarounds by then, but we will also have a more stable and tested OS by then.
I think you mean wait until the Service Packs come out. Microsoft has already released Consumer and Business versions, as they did with WinXP, only this time with more options.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:58 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 01:58 AM #18 of 23
I dunno, the only problem I have with Vista is driver immaturity (mainly caused by Nvidias elitism - they barely support anything which isnt top-of-the-line jazz. I had to install WinXP drivers for my nForce 3 mobo to get acceptable performance for my AGP GF7600GS and to fix some nasty crashes at movie resizing.).

Oh and it uses a fuckton of ram. Every app uses a bit more ram then it does in XP, and that can accumulate after a while. But mostly its that I'm using Aero Glass, which is 100+mb easily; not like i care since it doesnt continously dig in the pagefile unlike XP does.
Heck I may as well try that Readyboost function on a spare pendrive I have (uses pendrive as RAM, specializing only in fast, short calls to get the most use out of the pendrive instant access speeds, but only for that cuz usb interface speeds sucks).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:54 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 07:54 AM #19 of 23
Don't flash USB drives have a finite number of write sequences on them? It's only like a few thousand or something, I thought.

How ya doing, buddy?
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:24 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 04:24 PM #20 of 23
Don't flash USB drives have a finite number of write sequences on them? It's only like a few thousand or something, I thought.
Its more like ten thousands. Their faq says that reading happens a lot more often then writing, and to not worry about it. I certainly wont since this is a spare old pendrive.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:08 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 07:08 AM #21 of 23
Heck I may as well try that Readyboost function on a spare pendrive I have (uses pendrive as RAM, specializing only in fast, short calls to get the most use out of the pendrive instant access speeds, but only for that cuz usb interface speeds sucks).
Does XP have any similar functions or can be tweaked to allow such usage? OR would I have to just go buy a DVD-RAM Disc? I've got a 512 Stick lying around here that I never use.

Dyesan
hey YOU!

Member 1790

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2007, 01:24 AM #22 of 23
Yes, there's a readyboost-like program for XP by Microsoft, though the name slips my mind at the moment.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2007, 02:20 AM #23 of 23
Yes, there's a readyboost-like program for XP by Microsoft, though the name slips my mind at the moment.
Darn thats cool I need to find it then

FELIPE NO

(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)( ='.'=)
(")-(")(")-(")(")-(") (")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows Vista Volume Licensing