Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Carl on Duty: Black Cops - Holy crap a patch

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:12 PM #1 of 56
Carl on Duty: Black Cops - Holy crap a patch

So despite most of you donging all over it pre-release, the slow cascade of people getting this has begun. Toku and Russ have been playing it, my rental showed up which somehow led to m00 buying it, and then hilariously Skills has bought it. Also for those of you who know them some of the other guys from Shimms' group have it; SoupClan rented it from Gamefly as well, and at least Shimms will probably be buying it Black Friday and more of those guys might get roped in as well. So it seemed appropriate to make a thread, since it looks like this will probably get some level of play from enough people. I think most of us will still main Halo, but this seems like a good alternative go to for at least a couple of months as the two games could not be any different.

I still haven't played much (I'm level 12 and just unlocked Custom Classes, Killstreaks, etc), but since we all have familiarity with MW2, I'm just going to pull this condensed list of main differences from that game.

Classes - unlocks are different; you still obtain XP in the same ways, but you also earn COD points (which is a horrible name) that you have to use to actually buy stuff. So you still unlock gun x at level x, but then you have to spend money to buy that gun, along with attachments, equipment, perks, etc.

Wager Matches - 4 modes in which you can put up your COD points in a match against other players; the top 3 players at the end earn their ante back plus a bonus, everyone else loses their ante.

Contracts - Somewhat similar to Reach's Challenge system. On a daily/weekly basis, there are 3 different sets of contracts you can purchase. Once you purchase the contract those COD points are gone, so if you don't complete the contract you're out that money, but the contracts tend to pay very well (usually up to ten times what you paid for it). The contracts are things like knife an enemy in the back, get 10 headshot kills with a certain gun, etc. What's interesting on these is that you have an in-game time limit to hit them; so rather than being given a time limit of say 5 matches, it will give you 45 minutes while alive in-game to complete them. You can complete a contract multiple times while it's available that day/week, but once you've completed it there's a cooldown time until you can purchase it again. The ones I did had about an hour or so on average.

Prestige - You now max out rank and can Prestige at Level 50, but there are now 15 Prestige levels. Like before you unlock additional Custom Class Slots at higher Prestige levels, as well as other unlocks (like camos, playercards, etc).

Visual Customization - You can now buy and edit your Playercard (the nameplate behind your name in lobbies, Titles in MW2), as well the Icons that appear on your Playercard. You now buy the icons, and can buy 12 layers of them so you can pull off some Fortza type bullshit if you are so inclined (you can do some basic rotating, color changing, and outlines). You can unlock more Playercards and Icons as you rank up, but they still must be purchased. You can also buy custom reticules (I was killed by someone with a smiley face laser sight), gun skins, and other visual flair but I apparently haven't gotten to any of that yet so I can't comment.

Killstreaks - Deathstreaks are completely gone. Killstreak kills no longer "stack," i.e. getting kills with your Sentry Gun Killstreak don't count as kills towards your next Killstreak.
3 kills - Spy Plane, aka UAV
3 kills - RC-XD, a remote controlled car strapped with explosives
4 kills - Counter-Spy Plane, aka radar jammer
4 kills - SAM Turret, a placeable turret that destroys aircraft
5 kills - Care Package, works as before by dropping a random killstreak or ammo crate, can now also drop a Special Weapon like the Death Machine (a player-usable minigun)
5 kills - Napalm Strike, drops in a firestrike (think Harrier Strike but with fire)
6 kills - Sentry Gun, just like before
6 kills - Mortar Team, choose three locations on the map to bombard with mortar strikes
7 kills - Attack Helicopter, just like before
7 kills - Valkyrie Rockets, launcher with two remote controlled rockets
8 kills - Blackbird, a recon plan that reveals enemies and their direction, NOT destructible
8 kills - Rolling Thunder, a B-52 Carpet Bombing (aka Harrier Strike)
9 kills - Chopper Gunner, similar to MW2
11 kills - Attack Dogs, as annoying as it sounds
11 kills - Gunship, allows you to pilot a HIND with rockets and machine gun, can be destroyed
Perks - Stopping Power, Juggernaut, Danger Close, One Man Army and Commando are all gone. Worth noting also that Scavenger now does NOT restore Grenade Launcher ammo, so Noobtubing like in MW2 is effectively gone. Now to unlock the Pro versions of Perks, you have to complete 3 specific challenges. The perks in BLOPS are:
Lightweight: Move faster / Pro: No fall damage
Scavenger: Resupply from dead bodies, does not resupply launchers or equipment / Pro: Doubles your starting ammo and replenishes tactical grenades
Ghost: Undetectable by Spy Plane and Blackbird / Pro: Undetectable by aircraft, dogs, infrared and sentries, enemies don't see your name or red crosshair when targeting you
Hardline: Killstreaks 1 kill earlier / Pro: "Re-roll" results of a Care Package
Flak Jacket: Extra explosives resistance / Pro: Extra fire resistance and reset fuse when you throw back grenades

Hardened: Extra bullet penetration / Pro: Bullets do extra damage to Aircraft and turrets, reduced flinch when shot at
Scout: Hold breath longer / Pro: Switch between weapons faster
Steady Aim: Extra accuracy when shooting from hip / Quicker aiming after sprinting and quicker recover from knife lunges
Sleight of Hand: Faster reload / Pro: Faster aiming down sight with non-scoped weapons
Warlord: 2 attachments on primary weapon / Pro: Start with one extra lethal and tactical grenade (excluding smoke)

Marathon: Longer sprint / Pro: Unlimited sprint
Ninja: Move silently / Pro: louder enemy footsteps, makes you completely silent
Second Change: Pull out pistol before dying / Pro: Survive longer and any teammate can revive you
Hacker: Detect enemy equipment and explosives / Pro: Booby trap enemy care packages and turn enemy killstreaks and equipment friendly (???)
Tactical Mask: Reduces effect of Flash and Concussion grenades / Pro: Reduces effects of Gas and Concussion grenades, reveals location of flashed or stunned enemy
Weapons - Grenades and Equipment are different slots now, as opposed to being lumped together like MW2. Shotguns are back to Primary weapons.

-You can now dive to prone which is sort of hilarious.

-Party Chat is allowed now in all playlists but Search and Destroy. Fuck you IW.

So far I'm enjoying it; pretty much feels like MW2 with changes that range from good, bad, or indifferent. Probably my only particular disappointment is the SCAR being gone as that was my go to gun (and so far I haven't really liked any of the Assault rifles I've unlocked), and none of the Killstreaks really do it for me. Although it might overall be for the better that Killstreaks don't seem as super broken in this as they did in MW2. Also the UI in lobbies and menus isn't great, took us a while to find shit and it's just really not intuitive.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Tails; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:46 PM #2 of 56
I'm loving it. I think pretty much all the changes (gameplay wise) are for the better and so far BOPS > MW2. Everyone using care packages because they can't get gunship and dogs legit woooo~

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:13 AM #3 of 56
The UI in the lobbies is slick as hell, but they need to do a better job of calling out various things.

So far, it feels like they didn't mess with things that didn't need it, but killed a lot of broken shit (all the perks that are gone deserved it for one reason or another, attachments are a lot less abusable) and the stuff involving COD points, buying stuff instead of having to grind it, and the general less restrictive nature of the playlist just calls out a lot of the really stupid crap IW did that they didn't have to do in MW2.

The engine still shows some weaknesses, especially in the connectivity department. Some of the wonkiness there felt not much different from MW2.

Still liking it a lot, though.

Also Daravon, you renting it didn't lead me to it. Skills and I talking to each other about how we were both wavering about buying it caused us to buy it. We weakened each other's resolve.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:43 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2010, 09:43 AM #4 of 56
My concern about this game was that the Treyarch productions have always been something of a pale imitation of the IW games. Since I'd been so incredibly disappointed in Modern Warfare 2 and the mess the multiplayer was in that I wasn't holding out much hope what-so-ever for Black Ops. I expected it to be a decent, though largely similar, experience.

But then the news about various tweaks and changes they'd made as a result of listening to the fans and I was intrigued, I just wonder if Treyarch could pull it off. Sounds like they have and what with all the feedback I've seen from mates I trust (including people here) I too am going to pick it up. In fact I plan to pop out into town this morning and try and grab a copy.

Given past performance I don't think it's entirely unfair that people like us were a little more cautious about this release (I had played some of World at War's MP and really didn't like what they'd done with it, as well), but I'm not going to cut my nose to spite my face, so to speak.

Guess I'll be seeing you guys on there for some multiplayer later then.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:18 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2010, 12:18 PM #5 of 56
I've played enough to get to rank 23 or so now and I can say that there are aspects of it that I like and aspects that I don't like. The main gripe I have remains in the "I shoot them in the back, but they turn around and kill me with a weaker gun" department.

The things I have liked so far include the fact that the maps are (if not smaller) less wide open, so there are far fewer snipers around, and there seems to be fewer situations on maps where you can only get from one side of the map to the other by way of two or three "hallways". The air support is still powerful, but not utterly dominant the way it was in MW2. I got a chopper gunner earlier and managed to kill about 8 or 10 people, instead of the 15+ that was normal in MW2 with chopper gunner. I like the level progression/gun progression.

While it generally feels "cheaper" than either of the Modern Warfares, in terms of look, feel, sound, it is at least a vast improvement over World at War and is so far somewhat playable.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:49 PM #6 of 56
You think it feels cheaper? How so? I feel like BLOPS got a gigantic coat of polish that MW2 was sorely lacking.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:10 PM #7 of 56
YouTube Video

Apparently, BLOPS has an architecture set up that allows them to make "live fixes" without having to send things through certification. So far, they've fixed:

Quote:
11/5
- Villa: User can clip into rock at west edge of grid zone B2 and see through to the other side
- Crisis: User can clip into LVT between grid zone A3 and B3 and see through to the other side
- User can get an infinite number of 'Sam Turret', 'Care Package' and 'Sentry Gun' killstreaks (commonly referred to as the “care package glitch”)

11/9
- Radar sweep when there are only 2 players left in One in the Chamber will stop functioning if the 2 players have multiple lives when the sweep starts
- Crash when viewing content (films, clips, etc) in the Community & Recent Games menu

11/10
- Users’ rank and stats can get wiped under very specific conditions

11/11
- Online number counts were not updating properly; these are now reporting exact online numbers
- Parties getting disbanded when host did not find a match quickly

11/12
- Launch: User could access a small platform outside of the intended play space below the rocket gantry by jumping to a very specific location; now blocked from access
- Launch: User could access a small area inside geometry at vents near Dom flag A by going prone and moving around in a very specific location; now blocked from access
- Some users reported that weapon attachment challenges were not resetting after prestige; now all are guaranteed to clear as soon as selecting the prestige option
They've also posted stuff that is "in progress" for future fixes.

Of note:

Quote:
- Improved matchmaking to find matches faster
- Improved match and host selection; will result in much better networking conditions for all games (a.k.a., decreased lag)
- Weekly and Monthly leaderboards stats reporting incorrectly for kills, deaths and assists (All Time leaderboard not affected by this)
- Additional improvements to party system
· Improved matchmaking to find matches significantly faster
· Improved matchmaking to ensure that players are more effectively matched to games with the best networking conditions
· Improved host selection to ensure that the best host is always selected in the pre-game lobby
· Improved party system to ensure that parties don’t get broken apart
· Disable ability to join Private Match, Combat Training and Theater lobbies when searching for Player Match games
· Server-side and game-side changes to decrease the amount of failed Film uploads
· Weekly and Monthly leaderboards will now track all kills, deaths and assists properly (All Time leaderboards were not affected by this)
· Prevention of Combat Training stats getting crossed with Player Match stats under rare conditions
· Prevention of killstreak selection getting disabled in Combat Training under rare conditions
· Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions
· Prevention of Gunship failing to give player full control under rare conditions
· Prevention of temporary loss of functionality when a button was being held down at the point of a disconnect
· Additional fine-tuning of audio levels and ranges for footsteps and gunfire
· Additional fine-tuning of audio levels for bomb plants/defuses
· Additional online security enhancements
· Array: Added collision to prevent players from partially clipping into a tree
· Launch: Added collision to prevent players from strafe jumping onto an invisible ledge at the base of the rocket near B3
· Summit: Added collision to prevent players from jumping to a location outside of the map boundary when in Custom Games where player speed is maxed out
· Havana: Added collision to prevent players from jumping onto an invisible ledge above a doorway at C2
· Nuketown: Adjusted a spawn point that would spawn players on top of a mannequin’s head when that mannequin was randomly spawned in that location
· Disable ability to vote for a previous map twice in a row
I've run into issues where I search for a Wager Match and get thrown into a random private match, so I'm hoping that thing about player matches accidentally doing that also applies to wager ones. Nice to hear they're working on some of the stuff, although them saying they've fixed parties disintegrating when the leader doesn't find a game fast enough doesn't seem to have taken yet.

From what I can tell some of these fixes can come as live updates while they still have to send patches through certification for other things. Considering the speed at which they've already been doing shit (there was a title update before the game came out, for one), I'd put money on it being sooner rather than later that some of the more egregious lag-related shit gets fixed.

FELIPE NO
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:31 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2010, 04:31 PM #8 of 56
Well that's good news. I don't know how it is on the circle version, but the lag can get pretty wonky on PS3. In rounds where I can't seem to kill anyone it's entertaining to watch the kill cam and see how things went on the enemy's side. I can usually count a good quarter of a second difference in my actions on their cam.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:55 PM #9 of 56
Supposedly the PS3 version is even worse than the 360 version in terms of online framerate and lag, which is almost unbelievable.

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:03 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2010, 09:03 PM #10 of 56
I believe it (I have a PS3). As I said, watching killcams has offered quite a bit of insight into the amount of lag actually going on. It's bad enough that sometimes even though I opened fire into the guy before I was killed, on his killcam replay it shows me as never having fired a shot. It's especially noticeable with shotguns, making them almost unusable sometimes.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:04 AM #11 of 56
Right, but everything you've said 100% happens all the fucking time on 360, which is why I'm appalled at people saying it's even worse on PS3 than 360, since it's barely playable on 360.

How ya doing, buddy?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:33 AM #12 of 56
YouTube Video

Another belly flop. This time it's even stupider, and I'm not the one doing the flopping!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:53 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2010, 07:53 AM #13 of 56
Quote:
It's especially noticeable with shotguns, making them almost unusable sometimes.
This actually sounds a lot like Bad Company 2 where you could shoot at thin air and get a kill, yet if you walk up behind someone and blast them in the head you miss and wind up getting stabbed in the face. Something about shotguns in games nowadays.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:17 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2010, 08:17 PM #14 of 56
HMV are doing a deal over here whereby if you trade in Black Ops by December you can get that new Assasins Creed for £3 or a couple of other things for a fiver, in case anyone in the UK is bored of it yet.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:06 PM #15 of 56
Title update today that patches matchmaking, host selection, and party issues, as well as fixing the weekly/monthly leaderboards.

Most amazing jew boots
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:35 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2010, 10:35 AM 1 #16 of 56
Well, that's a start. I think I'd still prefer an update that fixes people dying when you shoot them.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:23 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2010, 02:23 PM #17 of 56
Fixing (or at least improving) host choices and matchmaking SHOULD fix the latency issues of people actually kicking the bucket more often.

Additional Spam:
Just played for a bit with Omagnus.

Patch improves a LOT. Thank God. Only had one match where there was any lag related BS and it was because someone was very obviously standbying. So colour me surprised at just how quick (and effective) it is. I am pleased.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Nov 18, 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:30 AM #18 of 56
What level do I have to be at to buy the weed nameplate. I don't even care about buying other shit. M16 is the most sex starting gun ever and I'll be damned if I'm going to use anything else.

#654: Braixen
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:26 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2010, 08:26 AM #19 of 56
Go to your playercard settings and go all the way to the bottom where it should say "Riddled" if you still have the default nameplate. Choose that and you can look at all the nameplates and what levels they unlock at.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:09 PM #20 of 56
Why can't you just tell me, I don't wanna do all that work.

(Thanks for the tip though)

How ya doing, buddy?

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:24 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2010, 11:24 AM #21 of 56
I played for about an hour last night and managed to do pretty well overall, with little blatant lag related bullshit, so that is good. Now if they could just fix spawning so that I don't have three or four of their guys spawn surrounding me all the time, that would be great.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:26 PM #22 of 56
Interesting you mention that.

Quote:
Improvements to the spawn system to resolve an issue where negative spawn influencers from specific game events were not always being deleted after the danger had cleared – in some matches, this was causing good spawns to be erroneously flagged by the game as bad spawns, which in turn forced actual bad spawns to get selected later in the match
· Experimental slight reduction in knife lunge range – this is a trial change
· Prevention of Prestige glitching – trying to prestige from Combat Training will reset your stats but not give you prestige

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:54 PM 5 #23 of 56
Man Phong is never allowed to play zombies again.

P: "Hey look there's a mystery box over there!"

F: "Phong get back the zombies are coming."

P: "Guys check this out."

F: "PHONG. GET BACK."

P: "Alright I'm coming" ::runs towards group then turns back towards the box::

::Phong subsequently downed by zombies"

G: "I got this"

M: "DO NOT GO TO REVIVE HIM"

::Goodhand goes down, group is overrun::

Merc and Fox: "GOD DAMN IT PHONG"

FELIPE NO

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:44 PM #24 of 56
I am shocked.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:56 AM #25 of 56
Merc and Fox: "GOD DAMN IT PHONG"
"FUCK IT IM SCARED IM OUTTA HERE"

I keep meaning to buy this but keep putting it off. I don't think I can justify buying another game for $60 after I bought (and was completely disappointed by) Blood Stone. But I do love me some FPS gaming.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Nov 24, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: the bats told me to

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Carl on Duty: Black Cops - Holy crap a patch