Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Holy shit there's some good stuff coming out soon

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:42 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2011, 03:42 PM #26 of 78
I'm like 12 in Steam but about 26 on Live. True, the multi part is so much fun. While you die pretty quick, you get in the fight fairly quickly.

I'm like.. Chapter 3 or 4 something in the story though. So far, great game. Love the hell out of it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:02 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2011, 12:02 AM #27 of 78
Yeah, being able to choose between instant respawn at your home base or wait a bit and spawn at a capture point or on a team mate is a nice touch too. I'm using the quick respawn perk a lot at the moment, mainly because I die a lot!

Also, the extra shit in the collectors edition wasn't worth the cash, but the massive, book shaped box it came in was.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:09 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2011, 07:09 PM #28 of 78
Welp, Namco just saved the entire planet 60 dollars.

Assault Horizon demo came out today. Haha, oh wow.

It's more of an insult to Ace Combat than Other M was to Metroid. It's atrocious on a level rarely seen.

Rubber plane? Go for it. Bounce off all the buildings you want. Even Xardion's an ace player now.

Regenerating health? Yup, fuck up all you want, no big deal.

Dog Fight Mode plays the game for you? It's even worse than the trailers indicate. It can and will turn the plane for you, and it will make some enemy classes either impossible or incredibly unlikely to be downed if you don't use it. Because their health regenerates too, and the only way to realistically land 5ish missiles on them is with DFM.

Out of curiosity, I tried the demo a second time. To see if I could play it and beat it without touching the control stick after entering DFM. Flew up to 8 or so enemies, only lost DFM mode once. I WASN'T EVEN CONTROLLING THE PLANE.

I thought that one trailer with all the missile follow kills was a dude controlling the camera to do that (like you could in the old games), nope this is automatic and there are parts that basically go SWAP TO ALT WEAPON AND FIRE NOW and then it will automatically show some ridiculous kill cam where everyone dies automatically.

Also, several of the kills are scripted. Oh, and there's QTEs. And one button counter maneuvers.

And the helicopter mode is silly. It controls like an FPS, kind of. Unnatural and confusing, there is no weight to the machine and no sense of inertia in your movements. Even the arcadey chopper controls in Bad Company 2 are deeper than this.

Game is for people with single digit IQs.

Most amazing jew boots
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:23 PM #29 of 78
One thing to watch for over in Space Marine multiplayer: charged plasma shots seem to act like Halo plasma grenades. Of course, unlike the aliens making up the Covenant in that game, Orks don't let a thing like getting stuck with a soon-to-explode blob of energy stop them from wanting to hew your face off.

And I'm still convinced they dropped the ball on the subject of avatar goodies. Seriously, no Adeptus Astartes armor? No chainsword? Only representing one of the four Dark Gods in terms of Chaos apparel?

Since we're in the neighborhood, I'm not sure why many reviewers seem to dislike Too Human so much. I still haul this out every now and again; plasma-spec commando with human alignment works very well...

Welp, Namco just saved the entire planet 60 dollars...

This concerns me greatly; awesome soundtrack, interesting story, et cetera can't save a game from horrible gamplay. Sadly, things like this are an almost-inevitable result of the (often marketing-driven) quest for 'accessibility to a wider audience' - which usually doesn't end well for the game in question.

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:54 PM #30 of 78
SILBER squadron is officially denouncing Assault Horizon.

Every complaint Skills listed is true and then some. After only a couple of minutes I wanted nothing more than to turn off the demo, but Skills wanted to see what happens if you don't push the QTE commands at the end of the plane section. The game asks you to press Y twice, and it waited 3-5 seconds before blowing me up for not pressing it the second time. I then restarted at the last checkpoint which was after pressing Y the first time.

Speaking of dumb mini-games, occasionally you get targeted from behind by missiles and are supposed to stay out of the target lock circle before doing a counterattack. However, if you never do the counter and just wait for the enemy to go away it becomes obvious that the enemy showed up completely out of nowhere just to bug you before going back into whatever nether-dimension it was spawned from.

Another huge problem is that the game designers forgot how perspective works. See that tiny enemy plane way off in the distance? Still tiny when it's 2 feet away from you. It makes gauging distance by anything other than the numbers impossible.

Oh, and it's also flat out impossible to die from crashing unless you're already heavily damaged. I tried smashing nose first, 90 degree angle into the ground and bounced. I tried crashing into the base of a building and teleported/bounced out on the other side of it. The planes are made out of Nerf, and it's honestly the only fun thing about the demo.

I'm not even going to get started on the helicopter section. As Skills said, it controls like an FPS and is devoid of all fun. Maybe I was still just irritated from the awful plane segment, but it has never been less fun to fire an aerial barrage of missiles that wipes out a large section of enemies.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:30 AM Local time: Sep 14, 2011, 07:30 AM #31 of 78
Well, I'm glad I clicked on this thread then, now I don't have to feel bad about skipping Ace Combat.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:59 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2011, 06:59 PM #32 of 78
And I'm still convinced they dropped the ball on the subject of avatar goodies. Seriously, no Adeptus Astartes armor? No chainsword? Only representing one of the four Dark Gods in terms of Chaos apparel?
There's no chance they won't massively expand the amount of dlc crap like that available over time. Once the Exterminatus dlc drops, next up will be a string of chapter specific skins for multiplayer at 800 points each along with associated avatar items.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:49 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 11:49 AM #33 of 78
Anyone picked up Solatorobo yet? Shit's kinda easy but gorgeous and pretty fun. There seems to have been some distribution problems but otherwise it seems to be in stores now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 01:44 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 12:44 PM #34 of 78
I did and it is. It's great.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 04:17 PM #35 of 78
I've loved what little I've played of Solatorobo so far. It's easy and I wish there was more depth to combat, but it's enough fun that I don't mind.

Auditor
Syklis Green

Member 22456

Level 7.02

May 2007

Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:21 PM #36 of 78
There's little hope in me that maybe Ace Combat:AA retail will be different from the demo. I know I'm fooling myself=[. Wish DFM actually required some skill..and that they stuck with only the fighter jet scenarios. AC-130..and choppers? really..just to get what..the CoD players to buy this?

Sigh...oh well..save my money for batman AC or Uncharted 3..or both.

I'll go rent it for a day to see if it surprises me or to see how badly Namco decided to f**k it up.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:19 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2011, 01:19 AM #37 of 78
There's little hope in me that maybe Ace Combat:AA retail will be different from the demo.
No. What's shown in the demo is basically what will be shown in retail. They won't pull a SURPRISE card out of nowhere. WYSIWYG.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:25 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2011, 02:25 AM #38 of 78
So is it just me or does Dark Souls seem just a tad easier than Demon's Souls? You can still get fucked pretty easily if you aren't careful, but it seems like the bosses are easier somehow. It could just be because you can get the Drake Sword early on and kick the shit out of everything in the early game, but still.

Either way, I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. I love the new open world aspect and the monster designs are terrifying as usual. Damn basilisks in the sewer are probably the creepiest game monster I've ever seen. I really wish they'd let you sell stuff though, because I've picked up so much garbage armor and weapons and there's nothing to do but store or drop it. Pointless.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:27 PM #39 of 78
SILBER squadron is officially denouncing Assault Horizon...
Having tried the demo... I'm gonna throw my hat in there with you chaps. Made sure the local Gamestop knew to shift the preorder to something more amusing (Saints Row: The Third).

And those of us waiting for the Exterminatus DLC pack will have to wait a bit longer; it's been delayed to the 25th (reference).

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:43 AM 1 #40 of 78
I really wish they'd let you sell stuff though, because I've picked up so much garbage armor and weapons and there's nothing to do but store or drop it. Pointless.
There is a way to "sell" items later in the game.
Spoiler:
From what I hear there's a creature that shows up in Firelink Shrine after ringing both bells who you can feed items to in exchange for souls. I've heard he doesn't give much, but at least it's something to do with all that crap you accumulate.

As for being easier than Demon's Souls, it seemed that way at first, but now I'd say it's roughly even if not more difficult. While I like some of the changes such as the open world and the new magic system others are pretty bad. The ability to teleport between bonfires should be given much sooner (I still don't have it, for the record) and multiplayer has been made worthless. If you can actually manage to summon someone they can be extremely helpful, but thanks to the limit of 10% difference in levels I almost never see any soul signs or get summoned myself anyway. It's made being alive rather pointless, especially since you rarely get invaded anymore either since invading requires a consumable item that I've yet to get any more of since the very beginning of the game. I wandered around in living form for about half an hour tonight looking for soul signs and didn't find a single one. Considering From went to such pains to force you to use only their means of communication by disabling party/private chats it would've been nice if they hadn't completely screwed up their own partnering system.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:19 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2011, 06:19 AM #41 of 78
Tritoch's pretty spot on.

The combination of humanity being a ridiculous mechanic, along with have very, VERY few disadvantages to being hollow, leaves the game's interactions with other players severely lacking.

Which is a shame since it makes the game's best ideas completely worthless (covenants), while highlighting it's shittiest changes (lack of hub world, entire humanity system).

Too bad.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:12 PM 4 #42 of 78

Fuck everything else coming out.

How ya doing, buddy?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:39 PM #43 of 78

Sold. Especially since it's $39.99.

Last edited by dagget; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:05 PM #44 of 78
-imagery redacted-

Whoa. I knew folks had been joking about this for a while, but it is surprising that Capcom actually went and did it. And yes, they even put in special dialogue if he starts the bout off against She-Hulk.

An even bigger surprise would be if they then go and add Franziska...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:22 PM #45 of 78
YouTube Video

fuck. yes.

soooo... looking at SD's post. Why would anyone use photobucket anymore when shit like that happens so often?

but yeah not gonna lie this is the only reason i'll be getting MvC3 Ultimate Space Jam ~ zero interest in MvC3 prior

Everyone main's Phoenix Wright fucking who cares who the other two characters in the team are - closing arguments EVERYWHERE

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:01 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2011, 12:01 AM #46 of 78
UMvC3: Fighting game of forever.

(FUCK ARCANA HEART NIGGA)

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:56 AM #47 of 78
YouTube Video

fuck. yes.

soooo... looking at SD's post. Why would anyone use photobucket anymore when shit like that happens so often?

but yeah not gonna lie this is the only reason i'll be getting MvC3 Ultimate Space Jam ~ zero interest in MvC3 prior

Everyone main's Phoenix Wright fucking who cares who the other two characters in the team are - closing arguments EVERYWHERE
I just bummed the link from someone on GAF, didn't realize it was photobucket. It's actually so large where I usually upload gifs to doesn't like it, oh well.

FELIPE NO
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:02 AM #48 of 78
lol posting photobucket on a high traffic site like GAF

what a laugh

anyway no prob dude

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:14 AM #49 of 78
Well speaking of UMvC3 THIS was unexpected. Evo moment #37 in Marvel what (WATCH THE END)

YouTube Video

Heroes and Heralds mode: Free post-launch DLC mode.

-Works as a clan-based collectible card-game with the cards having different effects in-game.

-If you play singleplayer, there's a hitlist kind of grid of characters you have to find and defeat in an area, and if you get a line of characters kind-of like bingo, you unlock a new territory. If you play online, it's more meta with the online with a push/pull element.

-Online, you sign up for a team (Heroes or Heralds) and winners are determined between wins each team gets per week vs. the other team. Resets each week, winning team apparently wins more cards (?).

-Marvel is doing the artwork for the Marvel cards, Capcom is doing the artwork for the Capcom cards. All the art is brand new.

-Over 100 cards to start, DLC cards TBD.

-Cards can be primary or secondary. One primary, two secondaries. Secondary cards have actual varying effects. He mentions one as an example that starts you with 3 hyper meter, if secondary only starts you with two.

Also they announced a mode where you play as Galactus. Also there is going to be a new CG opening. Now THIS is a worthy re-release of a game for $40.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:54 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2011, 09:54 AM #50 of 78
That's completely out of left field but actually quite interesting. I'm hoping this card stuff isn't handled poorly, like the shadow battles or any of that, and isn't withheld or overpriced or anything.

But this is Capcom, so.

Some of the ideas in it are pretty damn dynamic though. I like it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Holy shit there's some good stuff coming out soon