Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] BatManhunt: Arkham Asylum

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:26 AM #1 of 141
BatManhunt: Arkham Asylum

I was surprised to see that a thread hadn't been made about this game. Anyway, Gamestop says June 23rd is the release date but others say it's June 9th. Here are some links to those awesome trailers, by the way.

Some of these trailers might contain spoilers, such as the villain revealed trailers. Don't click on them if you don't want to know who else is going to be in the game.

Breakout Trailer - Really freaking awesome. I love the music on this one.

Breakout Trailer HD

Invisible Predator Trailer

Invisible Predator Trailer HD

Also if you want some gameplay action, check this out.
It looks like Batman meets Metal Gear gameplay with some elements and twists that I've yet to see in a game (of course, I haven't played much compared to the rest of you).

Silent Knight Challenge Mode Extended Cut

Silent Knight Challenge Mode Extended Cut HD

There will be a collector's edition that totals about $100 and comes in a batarang shaped tin case. Here's the specs of the collector's edition from Gamestop:

Originally Posted by Gamestop.com
Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition comes with:

* 14" Batarang with stand
o Matches the Batarang’s in-game design
* Arkham Doctor’s Journal
o 48 pages of notes on Arkham’s inmates
o Embossed leather dust jacket
* 2 Sleeve Digi-pack, including:
o Game disc
o Behind-the-scenes DVD
* Code for downloadable Challenge Map
* Exclusive “Crime Alley” map, available immediately
* Full-color Manual
I don't know if I'd be willing to spend another 40 bucks for all of that, but it's tempting.

All in all it looks like this could be a very epic game and this will definitely be a day one purchase for me. I'm pretty excited for it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:53 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2009, 08:53 AM #2 of 141
A huge selling point for me, is that there are at least 3 voice actors from Batman the Animated series who are reprising their roles.

Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as Joker, and
Spoiler:
Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn

Gameplay also looks solid to me, using stealth and not just some brawling beat em' up, cause that's not who Batman is. I will very likely pick this up.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Chen
Posting in the speed of sound!

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:18 PM #3 of 141
I never was a fan of video games based on something , since i prefer more original content but ill be sure to try this game out ,since it looks awesome.

Most amazing jew boots
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:57 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2009, 12:57 PM #4 of 141
THIS IS THE ONE BATMAN GAME I'M GOING TO DEFIANTLY BUY, NOT ONLY FOR THE FACT ITS THE FIRST ON NEXT GEN SYSTEM, BUT MARK HAMILL RETURNS HIS VOICE TALENT TO THE VILLAINOUS JOKER, SWEEET!

How ya doing, buddy?
"A Long time, loyal, & Die-Hard Fan of "SONIC The Hedgehog", and PROUD OF IT"
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:47 PM #5 of 141
A playable demo (one or two of the combat-oriented challenge rooms) should be in the wild at any self-respecting GameStop; I took it for a spin and came away pleased with how the combat is handled. My one complaint about the demo is that it would've been nice to offer one of the stealth challenges as well.
Sonic-Dude, a minor point of order: given that the Wii, 360, and PS3 are in the retail space (and have been for a while now), it is no longer appropriate to refer to them as 'next-gen'. There's another point I'm tempted to raise, but I suspect others have done so in a more discreet fashion.

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:30 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2009, 10:30 AM 2 #6 of 141
There's another point I'm tempted to raise, but I suspect others have done so in a more discreet fashion.
I often buy games in a defiant fashion, don't you?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:50 AM 6 #7 of 141
Defiantly making purchases (in the face of common sense) is a common and necessary trait in your garden-variety Sonic enthusiast.

Sure, the cashier at Gamestop may try to tell you that Sega hasn't put out a decent game since the Dreamcast but by god you just have to push past that!

FELIPE NO
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:54 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2009, 11:54 AM #8 of 141
Looks interesting, I loved the comic itself. Curious how they will work the story aspect since the comic was a lot what Batman felt and experianced and not that much of batman fighting bad guys.. maybe they'll release a demo on live/psn.

no homo
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:04 AM #9 of 141
I never was a fan of video games based on something , since i prefer more original content but ill be sure to try this game out ,since it looks awesome.
I agree , I don't like it when video games are based on things , I like amorphous ideas badly implemented

Spore is the best game ever

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:49 AM 10 #10 of 141
I never was a fan of video games based on something

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:19 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 02:19 AM #11 of 141
I remember reading something where someone involved with the game mentioned combat being rather focused on using stealth to your advantage and not flat-out brawls. He cited that Batman is the 'World's greatest detective' not 'World's greatest fighter' which kind of made me wonder if they even have read Batman from like the last twenty years at all.

Who knows? Could be good.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:50 AM #12 of 141
Stealth doesn't necessarily mean MGS-style "hide all the time" mechanics. Lurking unseen until enemies let down their guard and then diving through a skylight is also a form of stealth. And that's kind of Batman's thing, isn't it? I mean I'm not 100% up to date (since as a rule I don't pay for Alan Moore's drug habit) but I don't think he's ever been a kick-in-the-front-door kind of guy.

That's why the developers have gone to such pains to refer to the mechanics as "predator mode" instead of "stealth"; because dozens of crappy I AM SUPERSPY games have made "stealth" a synonym for "HIDE FROM EVERYBODY OR GET KILLED IN ONE HIT".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:19 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 03:19 AM #13 of 141
I wish I could find the link for an exact quote. I get what you mean (and possibly how it was intended in the article), but the way it came off to me from that guy was that Batman wasn't able to handle fighting more than one or two people at once. While I wouldn't want a Batman game that IS straight-on beat-em-up style, it was more of a nerdrage thing than it was me being concerned for the potential gameplay.

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:17 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 02:17 PM #14 of 141
Generally stealth either means simply attaching a silencer on your gun for mere visual effect, or arbitrary stealth sections, completely at odds with the rest of the game.

Exceptions abound of course, like that kleptomania one.

I like how Arkham is doing it, I felt it's closer to how Batman goes about than the usual games he's been in. It's not like he dresses in the suit because it's handy. Though I suspect I might tire of the mechanics a few rooms on if it merely repeats the pattern.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 21, 2009 at 06:19 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:06 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 01:06 PM #15 of 141
Jessy, if you watch some of the videos that show of what they mean by 'stealth' you might get an idea of what they're trying to do. Generally they seem to be saying that Batman is an excellent fighter, but he's still human and so if he gets riddled with bullets then he's pretty much fucked (which would be true), so he has to use his intelligence and gadgets to lure people into situations that put him at an advantage. I've seen clips of them having Batman swoop down and put explosives on a wall, and then detonate it when an enemy is walking past, taking that dude out, then when another runs over to see what's going on Batman swooped down and kicked him in the face before grappling back up into the rafters to go for another guard.

All in all this looks like it has the potential to be really good. Naturally it could still turn out to be absolute pap, but I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:27 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 04:27 PM 1 #16 of 141
Trailers, since not many seem to have watched them.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46638

Challenge room demonstration shows some gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47317

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 21, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:37 AM #17 of 141
arbitrary stealth sections, completely at odds with the rest of the game
Exactly. What there's a glut of is stealth mini-games, which are sort of half-assed by definition. There really aren't too many pure sneakers--most people just can't get excited over a game about hiding, I suppose.

That trailer looks better than anything in recent memory, though it's quite comical how Batman's firing a grapple gun and breaking chunks of rock, yet the guards don't raise their eyes above head level, even after they know he's around. I also hope there's more emphasis on shadows in the other levels; this room is awfully well-lit. It would add to the atmosphere, even if it doesn't affect the stealth mechanics.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:01 PM #18 of 141
Trailers, since not many seem to have watched them.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46638

Challenge room demonstration shows some gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47317
I just realized I linked to the SD trailers and not the HD ones. Thanks, Qwarky. I'll have to update them.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:13 PM #19 of 141
Well about a day ago, there were some new videos showing off the gameplay in Arkham Asylum. Strangely enough, the videos were gone this morning from Gametrailers. Luckily, someone downloaded them and put them up on youtube.

Swarm Gameplay

Roundhouse Kick Gameplay

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:26 PM #20 of 141
Gamestop had the demo set up and I was pretty much sold from what I played of it. It seemed to play more fluid than other games I've messed around with lately. I really enjoyed the feel the game had.

Also watched the Harley Quinn trailer for the game and I have to say I'm liking more and more that the game seems to be taking that darker "Tim Burton" style approach to it. Although I'll probably stick with getting a normal copy of the game than shelling out $100 for the CE.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 03:24 PM #21 of 141
Arkham Asylum has been delayed until the end of summer 2009.

Originally Posted by Gamespot
"Shortly following this article's publication, Eidos and Warner Bros. Interactive confirmed that Batman: Arkham Asylum has indeed been pushed back from its previously announced release date. "Eidos Interactive and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment can today confirm that Batman: Arkham Asylum will be released at the end of summer 2009," the publishers said. "This additional time will allow us to ensure Batman: Arkham Asylum is of the highest quality for gamers."
Source: Batman: Arkham Asylum delayed - Confirmed - GameSpot Rumor Control

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:19 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2009, 10:19 PM #22 of 141
Sorry for the bump, but I figured Canadian gamers might wanna know that AA will be selling for $38.83 at Wal-mart, Best Buy, and Futureshop on Aug 25th! The price is only good from the 25th to the 27th at BB and FS, not sure about how long it's supposed to go on for at WM.

Can't wait, I'll be picking up the PS3 version for the Joker exclusive content. Hopefully there'll still be copies available, as I won't be back in town till the evening of the 26th.

Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:43 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 03:43 AM #23 of 141
I wish that was the price in America, shit. Then I'd HAVE to get it.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:10 AM #24 of 141
Americans have the Toys R Us sale. You get a $20 gift card with Arkham Asylum this week, or a $30 gift card if you buy it on Tuesday between 10am-2pm. It's arguably better than the Canadian deal, though I'd be picking it up myself if it was instant savings.

At Best Buy you get a free "Mask of the Phantasm & Mr. Freeze DVD." Still a pretty neat deal, since Mask of the Phantasm was a cool movie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:01 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2009, 04:01 PM #25 of 141
Amazon fucked up and my order got blocked from shipping. Got to the UPS joint too late Ass-hats. Now I hafta wait until tomorrow. Originally, after seeing this, I thought I'd swing by Stafford and pick it up at the UPS office, but it seems that it's STILL in fucking Delaware. Ugh.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] BatManhunt: Arkham Asylum