Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] General MINOR gaming related news, rumours and things of not-thread-worthy nature

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:34 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 09:34 AM #1 of 385
General MINOR gaming related news, rumours and things of not-thread-worthy nature

We have a couple of threads floating about for general Xbox or PlayStation news and discussion, but we have nothing for a general catch-all of gaming related and multiplatform news and stuff: until now that is. I figure we can use this thread to post random news and cross-platform game tidbits that don't quite justify a full thread yet.

And to kick things off, some random news:

Mass Effect 2 announced - now multiplatform
Quote:
In talking about big titles for EA's next fiscal year, CEO John Riccitiello dropped hints about the future of the epic space-themed RPG franchise Mass Effect.

"[In Q4], BioWare will release Mass Effect 2 on multiple platforms," he said during a Tuesday earnings call.
[ source ]

Now enter Skills to bitch and moan about Mass Effect.

Crytek have bought Free Radical Design
Quote:
Free Radical's future has been uncertain in recent weeks, but a new report claims the U.K.-based studio has secured a lease on life with a new owner.

1UP reports that German first-person shooter house Crytek, developer of Crysis, has agreed to purchase Haze developer Free Radical. If true, it would be Crytek's fifth location, and its first in the U.K.

Free Radical writer Rob Yescombe reportedly revealed the news of the Crytek buy, adding, "After seven long weeks of uncertainty, I can confirm that Free Radical is now out of the woods. We've been bought by a really, really good company."
[ source ]

This is hopefully good news for any potential future TimeSplitters, or so I hope. I certainly remember TimeSplitter 2 being a bucket load of fun.

Amazon get in on the 'casual gaming' thing
Quote:
Multi-billion-dollar online retailer Amazon.com is jumping into the digital distribution fray with the launch of a casual game download store.

The service, currently in beta, hosts 600 casual games such as Jewel Quest, Airport Mania and Totem Tribe for under $10.

Amazon is concentrating on the mass casual market for now, although it's possible the download store could offer more core-centric games in the future.
[ source ]

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:12 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 02:12 PM #2 of 385
Multiplatform Mass Effect 2? One suspects they mean PC and 360, I'm not sure how much of a market there'd be on the PS3, given the inevitability that the next game will be a direct sequel. I would say that of more interest to me would be whether they can actually deliver on half the promises they made about the first game this time out and whether the game will feature Commander Sheppard again and let you carry over your character from the first one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:40 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 02:40 PM #3 of 385
Yeah, it could well mean just the 360 and PC, but there's always the outside chance it could be making its way to the PS3. As for being a direct sequel, that was always going to be the case, since it's a planned trilogy is it not? Either way, I guess they could either take a chance on people playing it (provided there was some sort of story recap video or something), or they could sneak out a port of the first game for the PS3 (unlikely, but you never know).

I'd also very much imagine, unless they change the character focus of the game, you'd be able to carry your character across (in looks if nothing else).

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:39 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 09:39 AM #4 of 385
I expect they'll keep a couple of characters around, and ditch a couple characters. Bye bye Ashley and Kaiden. They will probably keep Wrex and Liara, if not all four aliens, and add a Salarian to the mix. That said, it wouldn't bother me if they mostly ditched the existing characters and let you embark with a new cast. I mostly liked the characters from the first game, but change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't see why they would avoid a PS3 release simply because the first game didn't get one. EA isn't going to let something as small as that stop them from releasing on PS3, especially when you look around and see that Mass Effect is one of the handful of titles that people with only a PS3 consistently list as something they want to play.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:09 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 06:09 PM #5 of 385
I guess it's a matter of the cost of converting it against the expected revenue from a PS3 version. EA don't have a huge amount of cash to throw at risky projects at the moment, although I suspect that Mass Effect would be a pretty sure seller.

It was originally touted as a trilogy but there's no reason why Bioware would make the next game a sequel the same way KOTOR 2 is a sequel, set it much later and with a new cast of characters, especially if they're porting to a format where everyone won't already have saved games. There's also the difficulty of balancing as there's no fixed maximum point for characters and you can finish the first game anywhere between level 40 and 70 theoretically. They don't want to release a new game with no challenge for players who've got all the achievement bonuses and best equipment on a level 70 Sheppard. Confirmation of continuing characters would encourage me to go for another playthrough though, just to set-up a character for the sequel (Probably one who looks like a neo-nazi and hates aliens, killing off all the aliens in your party whenever possible). Actually, that brings up another issue with continuing straight on, you have a choice of which party members make it to the end and as such they either need to decide for you (Like in KOTOR 2 where they arbitrarily decide that that you didn't leave Carth to his death on the last planet and kill Jolee) or write multiple story arcs right from the start.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:32 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 11:32 AM 1 #6 of 385
Since all the characters in Mass Effect have interchangeable personalities, it'd be fucking ACE if they actually bothered to do something cool like take a look at your last game's save file and kill off all the characters except the ones you used the most during that playthrough. That way you get a new cast of morality waffling nobodies that no one gives a shit about AND everyone gets their favourite characters in the sequel.

Hey, I can dream right?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:59 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 06:59 PM #7 of 385
Well quite, a bit less vanilla amongst the support staff and your actions to make a blind bit of difference to the world around you would be more than welcome. Essentially I want KOTOR 3, even dressed up as Mass Effect.

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:04 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 03:04 PM #8 of 385
The characters were vanilla and interchangeable during post-introduction story scenes for the most part, and had actual personalities when you talked to them in the Normandy. This is pretty consistent with Bioware's previous games. I'm not sure why you would expect anything different, at least until they actually deliver something different. I still think that at its core, it was a very good game, and if Bioware can improve on the rest, to the point where all the non-plot planetary bases aren't identical, to where it matters which supporting characters you have in your party during story scenes, to where 75% of the game is actual game, rather than 75% of the game being sidequests, to where the Mako doesn't exist, to where textures load sometime before the end credits roll, to where I can have a lightsabre to where your actions matter slightly more than just "oops killed or was mean to that guy, so this sidequest doesn't open", it could be an outstanding game. Sure, some of those points are easier said that done, but just because something is difficult doesn't mean they shouldn't make an effort.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:08 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 02:08 PM #9 of 385
Just hoping that Enemies Everywhere 2 will have more depth in planetary expeditions, instead of a billion planets and only a handful of them have quests.

Most amazing jew boots
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:36 PM #10 of 385
My biggest gripe was how all of the bases you visted on planets had two floorplans and the only difference was the furniture layout.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:30 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 08:30 AM #11 of 385
Saw a link to this on JoyStiq this morning and it's too awesome not to share:
Spoiler:

[ source ]

Also, interesting news about Hellbent Games doing a Lego Battles game for the DS:
Quote:
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games' latest LEGO game, coming this summer for DS, is not built around any license. Well, other than the LEGO license. But there's no Batman or Star Wars or anything like that: this is pure LEGO.

LEGO Battles, developed by Hellbent Games, sounds like a kind of LEGO-based strategy game, in which players build and defend bases in the LEGO Castle, Pirates and Space Themes, using units mixed and matched from the sets. The press release promises "pirate swordsmen fighting side-by-side with wizards and aliens; dragons battling ninjas; and pirate ships launching broadsides against spacecraft and knights!" In addition to the single-player mode, local multiplayer battles will also be available.
[ source ]

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:58 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 04:58 PM #12 of 385
GTA:Wild West Red Dead Redemption announced by Rockstar:

Spoiler:
Rockstar Games is proud to announce that Red Dead Redemption
is scheduled for a fall 2009 release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Rockstar San Diego, as a follow up to the 2004
hit game, Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption is a
Western epic, set at the turn of the 20th century when the lawless
and chaotic badlands began to give way to the expanding reach of government and the spread of the Industrial Age. The story of former outlaw, John Marston, Red Dead Redemption takes players on
a great adventure across the American frontier.

Utilizing Rockstar's proprietary Rockstar Advanced Game
Engine (RAGE), Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns,
rolling prairies teaming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes -
each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions. Along the
way, players will experience the heat of gunfights and battles,
meet a host of unique characters, struggle against the harshness of
one of the world’s last remaining wildernesses, and ultimately
pick their own precarious path through an epic story about the
death of the Wild West and the gunslingers that inhabited it.

More info on the official website

Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:03 AM #13 of 385
I never did play Red Dead Revolver. Was it any good?

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:17 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2009, 05:17 PM #14 of 385
A friend of mine was very into it but then he also spent 200 odd hours of his life driving a truck around the highways in San Andreas listening to the country music radio station so he might not be the best benchmark for good taste. They're using the RAGE engine so this will probably be a decent enough open world effort if nothing else. One wonders how much of the game world will be pointless open desert though and what sort of combat system they're going to put in it. Rockstar don't often make bad games though and although nothing they release ever quite matches up to the GTA games, there's no denying that Canis Canum Edit was a smashing little game so they have a proven record of putting their engine to good use.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 08:48 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 01:48 AM #15 of 385
Little-known fact: Much of Red Dead Revolver's development was actually Capcom's work. Rockstar picked it up for the final two years before release.

Oh, yeah, and Free Radical aren't Free Radical anymore - one of the conditions of the acquisition was that they rebrand themselves as Crytek UK. Whatever. As long as I get my delicious Timesplitters 4 sometime between now and my funeral.

FELIPE NO
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:11 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 10:11 AM #16 of 385
I did like Red Dead Revolver. Great title with AWESOME music. That said, I hope Red Dead Redemption is more over the top than Gun was. Honestly, once you've done battle with a undertaker with a frikkin' gattling gun in a coffin, you don't go back.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2009, 07:30 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 05:30 AM #17 of 385
I actually really liked Gun. Never played Red Dead Revolver and I'm not sure why, considering Rockstar is pretty reliable for at least a decent time. How similar were it and Gun?

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2009, 07:53 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 12:53 PM #18 of 385
File this under 'unexpected' in the news category, but apparently this summer the XBLA, PSN and PC will be seeing a version of Battlefield, called Battlefield 1943:

Quote:
If you're hoping to hone your Battlefield skills before the Bad Company returns later this year, you'll get your chance this summer when the series goes back to WWII with Battlefield 1943, a multiplayer game coming to XBLA, PSN [updated: and PC!]. Built on the same engine as Bad Company, the downloadable game will offer 24 players the chance to battle it out across Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima.
[ source ]

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:26 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 02:26 PM #19 of 385
I would say that of more interest to me would be whether they can actually deliver on half the promises they made about the first game this time out and whether the game will feature Commander Sheppard again and let you carry over your character from the first one.
I've got to agree with you. The best thing about Mass Effect isn't so much the game as it stands, it is the massive potential for further developments. It's well past time someone did a decent sci-fi RPG with FPS elements, the world has been screaming for decent game that recreates the appeal of Star Trek, Babylon 5 and the like since the SNES for God's sake. Remember those Star Trek RPG/Top-Down Shooter efforts? They were very limited, but quite popular as I recall. That's seriously the closest we got until Mass Effect, unless I've missed an important title.

Of course I've yet to break the seal on my copy of Fallout 3 so if that's going to be all my hopes and dreams wrapped up in a delicious package, then so much the better. I doubt it though. The whole 'post-apocalyptic' sci-fi RPG doesn't really appeal to me nearly as much as something of the 'space opera the shooting RPG' that Mass Effect has to offer.

there's no denying that Canis Canem Edit was a smashing little game so they have a proven record of putting their engine to good use.
I seriously have to quote this to say nothing of greater significance than FUCK YEAH! Best game Rockstar ever made other than the very, very best of the GTA series. Which is to say GTAIII and Vice City. Honestly I put the other GTA titles just a hint below Canis Canem Edit. Just on the basis of 'fun factor'. The story in San Andreas was good for a giggle, but some aspects of the gameplay really just rubbed me the wrong way.

Additional Spam:
Also, interesting news about Hellbent Games doing a Lego Battles game for the DS:
[ source ]
Gotta love more LEGO gaming. I wish it was on the 360 though, I've had far too much fun playing co-op in the other LEGO titles since I got mah 360.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Soluzar; Feb 6, 2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:40 AM Local time: Feb 9, 2009, 03:40 PM #20 of 385
JoyStiq have a hands on with Battlefield 1943, the upcoming XBLA/PSN/PC download title, and it actually sounds like it's shaping up quite nicely. Mark me down as very interested in seeing how this turns out (I only got into Battlefield with BF2 but ended up playing it for ages, and if we get a good few of us together for squad based fun then count me in):

Move to the new thread I've created for the game - http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/vi...ld-1943-a.html

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Feb 11, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:05 AM Local time: Feb 9, 2009, 04:05 PM #21 of 385
Sounds excellent. Not chuffed about ANOTHER WW2 game, but it ought to be fun times with GFFers.

I still haven't got around to playing anything with you fuckers yet. What gives?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:35 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2009, 11:35 AM #22 of 385
Being that I still actually like WWII shooters, and BF:BC was one of my favorite games of last year, I can see this being a day one purchase for me. I'm still more excited for BF:BC2, but this seems like it will definitely be good enough to hold me over until it comes out.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:28 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2009, 07:28 PM #23 of 385
Interesting that Dice seem to be "borrowing" features from Frontlines on their second game since Kaos's superior effort. I guess they thought that BF:BC would be better than Frontlines without those features or were too far into development to implement them before launch. Still, I do like a bit of sqaud fps action and even though Bad Company was a real dissapointment, Battlefield 2 was a great game in it's time and if this is as cheap as they promise I might pick this up.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:46 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2009, 01:46 PM #24 of 385
For anyone still waiting on Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix in Europe on the old PS3, tomorrow is the day (a little miss-timed now, perhaps):

Quote:
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix will be released on the Playstation Store this Thursday, Feb 19, a day before the UK release of Street Fighter IV. The game will be priced £11.99 for UK residents.
[ source ]

And for PC gamers who had a (jealous) eye on Jonathan Blow's Braid, the game will be heading to PC at the end of March:

Quote:
Acclaimed indie developer Jonathan Blow has stated that the upcoming PC release of Braid will arrive on March 31 for under $20.

Blow added that the title would be available in a number of ways: “I have signed deals with 3 different online distributors right now but I am letting them announce the details since they tend to care a lot about those announcements,” he said.

Blow confirmed that one of Braid’s vendors will be publisher Stardock, which will release the title over its digital games service Impulse. The other two digital distributors remain unknown for now, though speculation is understandably pinpointing Valve’s Steam platform as a likely choice.
[ source ]

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:31 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2009, 08:31 AM #25 of 385
New Worms game heading to XBLA and PSN, could be woo-some, might not be:

Quote:
A listing appearing on the Australian Classification Office website has revealed that another Team 17 Worms title, Worms Armageddon Decade, may eventually inch its way to the Xbox Live Arcade.

The Armageddon Decade rating appears to have been applied for by Microsoft, which probably means this Worms edition will be an exclusive XBLA release and is a different project than the PSN's upcoming Worms. If the awesomeness that is Worms Armageddon is anything to go by, the XBLA's special Decades edition should be one of the most enjoyable Worms titles to date. That is, if Team 17 doesn't skimp on the weapon selection.

Update: Team 17 just informed us about the differences between the upcoming Worms games. The PSN edition will be an enhanced version of the XBLA release, including more weapons, additional levels, new audio and 1080p support.

The XBLA release of Worms Armageddon Decade (which we're told is subject to a name change) will be a "vastly expanded edition" of the original XBLA Worms, that will include weapons and features from Worms Armageddon as well as other brand new content. More details to come.
[ source ]

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] General MINOR gaming related news, rumours and things of not-thread-worthy nature