Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Pre-Pre-E3 Wii thread
Closed Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:50 AM #1 of 364
Post Pre-Pre-E3 Wii thread

Okay, I'll concede that you guys can have a discussion on Revolution. It's going on in other threads and even other forums so I figure you guys might as well have a place here in Mario's Warp Room.

Just be warned that if you fag this thread up like the preceding Revolution threads then you will be banned from this thread and perhaps for a week or two from Mario's Warp Room or all of the gaming forums. Also, In the time between now and E3 Infernal and I might set up a thing we've been talking about called Iwata Time Out which basically bans you from Mario's Warp Room for a day or two. That may be used as a minor punishment as well. So basically behave in this thread or else.

This is the Pre-Pre-E3 thread for discussion of Nintendo's next generation console code-named Revolution. As such it will be closed most likely a week before E3 for the creation of a Pre-E3 thread with the same principle and rules.

Link to prior Revolution thread for time piecing.

Enjoy your speculation and what not and please, play nice.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:25 AM #2 of 364
lol, when I first saw this thread name in the forum and your name as the most recent poster my thought was you had closed it after someone else had created it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:16 AM #3 of 364
Hee hee. Not for this one. Not yet at least.

Now make with Revolution discussion! =U

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Deguello
A massive amount of intelligence.

Member 1927

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:47 AM #4 of 364
I am getting the Revoltuion solely for the opportunity to secure a legitimate copy of Kirby's Dreamland 3. And maybe get one of those games that uses the controller thingy, whatever.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:42 AM #5 of 364
I managed to nab a copy of Kirby's Dreamland 3 from my local Gamestop before they stopped selling used SNES games. I was really surprised because I didn't even think at the time that Kirby's Dreamland 3 even made it to the states. I thought it only was in Japan so that really made my day. I'm looking forward to what Nintendo is able to do with the Virtual Console too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:57 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:57 AM #6 of 364
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Just be warned that if you fag this thread up like the preceding Revolution threads then you will be banned from this thread.

What if I'm gay?

Anyways, I want a revolution because it'll actually be affordable. After getting the 360, I haven't been able to get but one game for it.
My Cash went to the trash.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:35 PM #7 of 364
You know what I mean by fagging it up. The last couple Revolution threads were EXCELLENT examples of what not to do. I and other mods like Infernal and Qwarky will be the judge of if you are fagging it up in this thread. This shouldn't be confusing. Now please, on with the Revolution discussion.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:54 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:54 AM #8 of 364
Has Elixir been pre-emtively banned from the thread? Because that's the only way I can see this remaining homosexual free.
Lol at Iwata Time Out idea.
Yeah I think rev will be good.

Also did anyone notice on the photos of the Rev's backside that it only seems to have a digital component out, like the Gamecubes used to have. No HD support my arse.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:19 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:19 AM #9 of 364
Well, it's supposed to only support 480p, and that's everyone's problem. The 360 can support 720p, and the PS3 is supposed to support the elusive-and-unnecessary-for-at-least-the-next-six-years 1080p.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 01:32 PM #10 of 364
Originally Posted by Generic Badass
Well, it's supposed to only support 480p, and that's everyone's problem. The 360 can support 720p, and the PS3 is supposed to support the elusive-and-unnecessary-for-at-least-the-next-six-years 1080p.
But who the crap can afford a HD TV? If you can, you're probably too old to be playing video games.

Codename Revolution says:

"Standard and Enchanced Definition support for SD, ED, HDTV and Computer Monitors"

But maybe its got all those hidden ports like on the Cube.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:38 PM #11 of 364
Originally Posted by Lukage
But who the crap can afford a HD TV? If you can, you're probably too old to be playing video games.

Codename Revolution says:

"Standard and Enchanced Definition support for SD, ED, HDTV and Computer Monitors"

But maybe its got all those hidden ports like on the Cube.
Don't play the "no one has a HDTV lol" card, it just doesn't work. HD will get pretty popular pretty soon, and it will be a big deal to many people.

That said, I personally don't give a shit about HD, and I think that the Rev is going to fucking rule (especially if it releases at 99-149).

My biggest concern right now is the virtual console support. How well will Nintendo support it, how much, and who will they get on board are all topics that can turn the console from a good idea, to fucking paradise.

- WraithTwo -

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:02 PM #12 of 364
Originally Posted by WraithTwo
Don't play the "no one has a HDTV lol" card, it just doesn't work. HD will get pretty popular pretty soon, and it will be a big deal to many people.

That said, I personally don't give a shit about HD, and I think that the Rev is going to fucking rule (especially if it releases at 99-149).

My biggest concern right now is the virtual console support. How well will Nintendo support it, how much, and who will they get on board are all topics that can turn the console from a good idea, to fucking paradise.

- WraithTwo -
As a person who's job entails selling HDTVs and their parts, I'll tell you right now that purchasing them at the moment is not feasable. They're overpriced, unstreamlined, require pricey, pricey cabeling and make your none-HD material look worse than your SDTV does. Yeah, they're definately the wave of the future, but there's just no reason to buy them now when the future models will be a lot better, cheaper and have less compatibility issues. Therefore, I can totally see where Nintendo's coming from with the exclusion of HD support from the Revo.

While I'm sure that it won't last this way, at moment, a lot more people are still buying regular ol' TVs as opposed to the sexy HD sets we have. I guess it all depends on how rapidly HDTVs become more affordable. Yeah, Nintendo took a risk by excluding the HD support, but so did Sony and MS by including it. I guess I'm not really sure which side to call out as the one that's gonna get backfired just cause it can go either way. So, as of now, both startegies are valid.

Anyway, enough of that blabbering. I was curious if the various colors that they showed the Revo in during last year's E3 were confirmed for launch or not. I mean, as slick and sexy as the black one is, some of us fags here may want to go with something a bit more bold.

Most amazing jew boots
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:15 PM #13 of 364
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
You know what I mean by fagging it up. The last couple Revolution threads were EXCELLENT examples of what not to do. I and other mods like Infernal and Qwarky will be the judge of if you are fagging it up in this thread. This shouldn't be confusing. Now please, on with the Revolution discussion.

I know, I know. I was just joking around with your use of "fagging it up"

Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:21 PM #14 of 364
Fag up the thread? Hah.

Isn't 480i(or p, keep forgetting..) a step below HD, but better than standard?

How ya doing, buddy?
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:32 PM #15 of 364
480i is standard, its what normally comes over analog if I'm correct.

P is a step above standard, its progressive scan. Technically, it is HD actually I think.

I really want to see how Nintendo structures its online system though, if it does a good job, its in a great fighting position. Especially since Sony is supposedly going to charge somewhere in the region of $600 according to the European exec.

FELIPE NO
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:47 PM #16 of 364
Originally Posted by NovaX
lol, when I first saw this thread name in the forum and your name as the most recent poster my thought was you had closed it after someone else had created it.
I thought the exact same thing...I was even surprised the other thread about that Raid over the River "Revolution" game wasn't closed. But anyway, enough of that.

Well, I'm really not sure what else to add that hasn't been said in the previous (closed) threads, since there was actually a bit of discussion in them past the flaming and yelling. Has anything been said about the DS connectivity yet? I don't remember if they've announced anything in regards to that yet other than to say that it will be possible. Oh, and on that note, have they said if you'll be able to use Revolution's wireless connections as a LAN connection? It would be pretty handy if you would be able to set up multiple Revolutions in close proximity without a wire connecting them for LAN play.

On the topic of HD, yes, HDTVs are becoming popular, and considering the Revolution isn't out yet, it doesn't really matter how many people have one NOW since noone has the console yet anyway. It would make more sense to consider the issue of how many HDTV owners are out there when the Revolution is actually out. But, the thing that truely baffles me is why they won't support high resolution monitor output when they're pushing the "connects to a PC monitor" feature. With the Xbox 360, you can buy a $15 VGA cable and use a TV monitor as a high definition display device. That's a pretty inexpensive solution for playing games in HD without buying an HDTV (since presumably, the people in this thread are using a computer monitor...). But they'd probably have to make the console a bit bigger in order to have adaquate cooling for the GPU if they wanted to support higher resolution, so I guess it's the price we pay for having a small system.

Originally Posted by Adamgian
480i is standard, its what normally comes over analog if I'm correct.

P is a step above standard, its progressive scan. Technically, it is HD actually I think.
You're correct about 480i, however 480p is not HD. It would be considered ED (Enhanced Definition), since it's actually just a clearer standard definition but doesn't actually offer more detail (both run at 640x480 for a standard 4:3 signal, the difference is just whether or not it's interlaced, much like 1080i to 1080p).

KnowsNothing
BANANA PHOOOONE

Member 229

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 03:36 PM #17 of 364
Quote:
Oh, and on that note, have they said if you'll be able to use Revolution's wireless connections as a LAN connection? It would be pretty handy if you would be able to set up multiple Revolutions in close proximity without a wire connecting them for LAN play.
I'm not sure where I read this (or if I'm just making it up...), but I think I remember Nintendo confirming it a while ago. There was also a rumor that the Rev would be capable of game sharing like on the DS, so that + LAN would be just about the best thing ever.

Hmmm...now I'm thinking. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to interpretting specs and I pretty much know shit about anything, but the latest specs from IGN say that the rev will have a few segmented sections of RAM. Is it possible that one's for saves, one's used while playing games, and one's used for storing temporary game data for game sharing? IGN said that there was extra "external" RAM which could be accessed as quickly as the internal RAM, could it be used for something like this? Don't see why not.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:20 PM #18 of 364
I do so love a good Revolution discussion. I hope no one mentions Donkey Konga. (Whoops!)

Anyway, on the subject of HDTV, in Europe they are pretty rare so far, but I can see them becoming more popular even over here. I do understand the trade-off, and looking at the price point of the next gen, I don't think HDTV content is quite worth it now. But in almost a year, who knows?

Anyway, how do you people feel about Sega and T16 content on the console? Or the retro content in general?

I've talked with my friends about this, and it seems to me like they are uncharacteristically excited about this part of the console. I personally think it's a great idea in theory, but in practice I honestly don't know if I'll make use of it. Technically, the games I would want to play I can emulate (legally, since I bought the games originally). Are we really going to want to play Sonic Spinball on the Revolution, rather than just emulating it? Will this feature significantly affect the position of the console?

How ya doing, buddy?
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:28 PM #19 of 364
I love the whole idea about the Virtual Console. I've stressed this out many times, but hey, I'll say it again.

I've missed out on a great childhood. I've never played any NES or SNES games. I haven't played many N64 games although I own one. I mean, by getting the Revolution, what's a better way to relive your childhood, you know?

Plus, I like some of the games on the Gamecube, so, since Nintendo finally has a console that's backwards compatible, there's another plus.

To be honest, I don't mind if the Revolution is several times more powerful than the Gamecube. The Gamecube was pretty powerful in its own right, and hell, it only used the mini-disk.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:37 PM #20 of 364
The ONLY thing they need to make the Revolution the perfect console IMO is the inclusion of GB/GBC games a la Super Gameboy. If they did that, I would die a happy man. <3

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:13 AM #21 of 364
Originally Posted by Neogin
I've missed out on a great childhood. I've never played any NES or SNES games. I haven't played many N64 games although I own one. I mean, by getting the Revolution, what's a better way to relive your childhood, you know?
Exactly. You're the kind of person who I think has the most benefit from this feature. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad or anything, and there's a delicious sense of victory in having the back catalog of former rivals on your machine I suppose. I'm just wondering if there are people who were gamers at that young age who will be making use of that feature.

KnowsNothing
BANANA PHOOOONE

Member 229

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:32 PM #22 of 364
Well, let's take the N64.

- Emulating the N64 is pretty terrible in my opinion. Out of the question (actually, I hate emulating anything, h8 keyboard)
- My controllers are completely shot because of the awful control stick.
- Most games have such terrible frame-rate that I can't play them without feeling sick.

Now, I'm assuming the Rev will improve the framerate for these games, but I think it's pretty likely so whatev. So instead of buying extra N64 controllers (where can I even find them?) for multiplayer and putting up with the terrible frame-rates, I'd rather download the games and play them on the Rev. I wouldn't mind spending more money on Rev controllers because I'd be able to use them in the future for NES, SNES, N64, and Rev games (and cube, perhaps.)

And then there's the fact that the Rev will be able to replace my SNES, N64, Genesis, and Cube on the shelf, freeing up TONS of space. I never owned an NES or Turbo either, but I guess emulating them wouldn't be so bad because they don't have many buttons. Whatever.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:35 PM #23 of 364
There are also the people like my mom who play nothing by NES games, but just can't really do it without the NES around. The only reason she doesn't play games with me like she did when I was 4 is because they aren't one of two things-

1. Tetris
2. Simple

What's so awesome about the Rev is that I truly see a really big audience for it outside of the demographic that Sony and MS reach out to. People like my mom would buy it just for the virtual console, and then see the cool new control scheme and rediscover gaming.

A big reason older people have lost interest in gaming is because of how damn complex everything has become. 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 analog sticks, it's all greek to them. The Rev is going back to the glory days when everything was simple, and then combining it with modern technology, and it's fucking brilliant. Gameplay on the Rev is going to be like playing games on the NES - A bit of an adjustment, but so god damn simple and awesome.

FELIPE NO
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:27 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 02:27 AM #24 of 364
Yeah I think the Revolution will appeal especially to two groups:

1) "connoiseurs" of games. People who know game designers by name, have game music ringtones, etc. They will appreciate the innovative nature of the machine, as well as the retro element for nostalgic reasons (or to unearth the history of their favourite medium).

2) "normal people". My mom loves the DS, and so does my dad. They also do not see the difference between Oblivion and current-gen games, except when I specifically point out what to look for. They will love the directness of the games, and the price of the console will be such that they won't feel bad about buying it.

And of course Japanese people. It kind of goes without saying. =D

Last edited by surasshu; Apr 6, 2006 at 07:32 PM.
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:03 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 07:03 PM #25 of 364
Originally Posted by Solis
Oh, and on that note, have they said if you'll be able to use Revolution's wireless connections as a LAN connection? It would be pretty handy if you would be able to set up multiple Revolutions in close proximity without a wire connecting them for LAN play.

I'm nearly 100% sure that Iawata said that they will be able to connect wirelessly for LAN play all the way back at the '05 E3 adress. IIRC, he also said that some games would have a download play so that you could LAN with one disc, much like you can with the DS.

- WraithTwo -

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Pre-Pre-E3 Wii thread