Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Steven Colbert Totally ICE-BURNS The President at White House Correspondents Dinner

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:28 AM #1 of 68
Steven Colbert Totally ICE-BURNS The President at White House Correspondents Dinner

Holy crap. Colbert is the ballsiest guy ever right now.

VIDEO HERE
PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIRX...search=colbert
PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0IN...search=colbert
PART 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJvar...search=colbert

TORRENT HERE OF WHOLE DINNER - COLBERT AT THE END.
http://isohunt.com/download.php?mode=bt&id=11023245

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/..._id=1002425363
Quote:
Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner-- President Does Not Seem Amused

By E&P Staff

Published: April 29, 2006 11:40 PM ET

WASHINGTON A blistering comedy “tribute” to President Bush by Comedy Central’s faux talk show host Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent Dinner Saturday night left George and Laura Bush unsmiling at its close.

Earlier, the president had delivered his talk to the 2700 attendees, including many celebrities and top officials, with the help of a Bush impersonator.

Colbert, who spoke in the guise of his talk show character, who ostensibly supports the president strongly, urged the Bush to ignore his low approval ratings, saying they were based on reality, “and reality has a well-known liberal bias.”

He attacked those in the press who claim that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. “This administration is soaring, not sinking,” he said. “They are re-arranging the deck chairs--on the Hindenburg.”

Colbert told Bush he could end the problem of protests by retired generals by refusing to let them retire. He compared Bush to Rocky Balboa in the “Rocky” movies, always getting punched in the face—“and Apollo Creed is everything else in the world.”

Turning to the war, he declared, "I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

He noted former Ambassador Joseph Wilson in the crowd, as well as " Valerie Plame." Then, pretending to be worried that he had named her, he corrected himself, as Bush aides might do, "Uh, I mean... Joseph Wilson's wife." He asserted that it might be okay, as prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald was probably not there.

Colbert also made biting cracks about missing WMDs, “photo ops” on aircraft carriers and at hurricane disasters, and Vice President Cheney shooting people in the face.
Observing that Bush sticks to his principles, he said, "When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday - no matter what happened Tuesday."

Also lampooning the press, Colbert complained that he was “surrounded by the liberal media who are destroying this country, except for Fox News. Fox believes in presenting both sides—the president’s side and the vice president’s side." He also reflected on the good old days, when the media was still swallowing the WMD story.

Addressing the reporters, he said, "You should spend more time with your families, write that novel you've always wanted to write. You know, the one about the fearless reporter who stands up to the administration. You know-- fiction."

He claimed that the Secret Service name for Bush's new press secretary is "Snow Job." Colbert closed his routine with a video fantasy where he gets to be White House Press Secretary, complete with a special “Gannon” button on his podium. By the end, he had to run from Helen Thomas and her questions about why the U.S. really invaded Iraq and killed all those people.

As Colbert walked from the podium, when it was over, the president and First Lady gave him quick nods, unsmiling, and left immediately.

E&P's Joe Strupp, in the crowd, observed that quite a few sitting near him looked a little uncomfortable at times, perhaps feeling the material was a little too biting--or too much speaking "truthiness" to power.

Asked by E&P after it was over if he thought he'd been too harsh, Colbert said, "Not at all." Was he trying to make a point politically or just get laughs? "Just for laughs," he said. He said he did not pull any material for being too strong, just for time reasons.

Helen Thomas told Strupp her segment with Colbert was "just for fun."

The president had talked to the crowd with a Bush impersonator alongside, with the faux-Bush speaking precisely and the real Bush deliberately mispronouncing words, such as the inevitable "nuclear." At the close, Bush called the imposter "a fine talent. In fact, he did all my debates with Senator Kerry."

Among attendees at the black tie event: Morgan Fairchild, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Justice Antonin Scalia, George Clooney, and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of the Doobie Brothers--in a kilt.
This took so much guts. I can't wait to see his Monday show for a recap.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Apr 30, 2006 at 01:11 PM.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hopeā„¢

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 01:53 AM #2 of 68
Sounds hilarious.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:04 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 02:04 AM #3 of 68
I'm surprised he actually did something political.

From the episodes of his show I've been watching, most of it is just random humor that barely has anything to do with the media. This was a turn around.

I miss Stephen Colbert on the Daily Show. He strikes me of more of a 'one hit' guy. As in, he's funny if he isn't over-used.

But back on topic. I'd have to say, that's surprisingly brave to go up there and say that. Even if he just did it because of his show.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by vuigun; Apr 30, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:15 AM #4 of 68
Stephen Colbert is pretty much awesome, and I can clearly picture all of his routine in my mind, delievered as his character. I would have enjoyed seeing that. It takes quite the guts to stand at a podium and make fun of President Bush that hardcore right to his face. Especially through the whole act where he pretends to be a Bush-ite. Very incisive material.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:17 AM #5 of 68
Originally Posted by Admiral Amara
Stephen Colbert is pretty much awesome, and I can clearly picture all of his routine in my mind, delievered as his character. I would have enjoyed seeing that. It takes quite the guts to stand at a podium and make fun of President Bush that hardcore right to his face. Especially through the whole act where he pretends to be a Bush-ite. Very incisive material.
I posted a partial video link in the second sentence of this thread. Feel free to watch it.

Most amazing jew boots
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 02:29 AM #6 of 68
After watching the whole thing I'd have to say that really was couragous of him. You could feel the tension going on in that room.

One Question though. Did the president avoid shaking his hand at the end? It looked like it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:37 AM #7 of 68
I loved his show before this, but now I think I'm a fanatical addict.

FELIPE NO
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:40 AM #8 of 68
OH... MY... THIS IS FANTASTIC! I just watched the whole thing, and I think I'm the biggest fan of the first amendment... ever. Stephen Colbert is absolutely hilarious!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:43 AM #9 of 68
Ooooohohohoooo, I just got a copy of a high-res rip of the show (I'm sure one will be available over torrent/google video/youtube by tomorrow).

It's great, because you can really see the sour-faces of some of the crowd members, plus there are a lot more jokes in the beginning. It's about 10:30 minutes extra.

As I watch it, I can see that there are a lot of people who actually did laugh at him. It does seem that it was mainly the younger people (less than 40 years old) in the crowd, though, or people who didn't work directly for the administration. Hell, I even saw a shot of Lawrence Fishburne laughing.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Apr 30, 2006 at 02:55 AM.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:08 AM #10 of 68
Wow, that was incredible. I've always loved Stephen Colbert [especially from Harvey Birdman (Ha ha, The Bird)], and after seeing this video, I truly give him my ultimate respect. He's in a room with many republicans, and the stuff that he's cracking out...i'm amazed most of the room was laughing. But you know, everyone just needs to sit back, relax and have a good laugh. Even if what Colbert said was satirical and edgy, it's still all in good fun.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:14 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:14 AM #11 of 68
Originally Posted by Karasu
i'm amazed most of the room was laughing.
You do know that people sometimes laugh to break the ice or to not seem snobbish, right?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:28 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 04:28 AM #12 of 68
That was just about the coolest thing ever! I've gotta see the full version! Now if he would only publish Alpha Squad Seven...

How ya doing, buddy?

[ MOBIUS ]
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:44 AM #13 of 68
OMG. Hilarity has ensued. It's funny that the people who don't laugh, know it's true.

I hope Steven Colbert doesn't come up "missing" after this.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:49 AM #14 of 68
I would cry if Stephen Colbert was "black bagged". WHOOPS, THERE GOES AMENDMENT #1 BYE!

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:51 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 02:51 AM #15 of 68
Hmm, I must be the only one who thought the whole thing was hilarious, but at the same thought that it wasn't a "gutsy" move per se. It's not like he's risking death or blacklisting by doing it. He's got little to lose doing it, especially here.

If Hu Jintao was given the full foreign dignitary treatment and Steve Colbert was the main entertainment, and he did his spiel, except the subject being China's government, I would call THAT brave.

FELIPE NO

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:58 AM #16 of 68
Originally Posted by Dullenplain
Hmm, I must be the only one who thought the whole thing was hilarious, but at the same thought that it wasn't a "gutsy" move per se. It's not like he's risking death or blacklisting by doing it. He's got little to lose doing it, especially here..
Do you understand the term, Taboo? And discussing it right in front of the President's face? He basically directly attacked the president. Many people have done this before but let me ask you, how many people have said these things right in front of the President?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:01 AM #17 of 68
Originally Posted by Admiral Amara
I would cry if Stephen Colbert was "black bagged". WHOOPS, THERE GOES AMENDMENT #1 BYE!
I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't try to happen, in all honesty. Not saying it will happen, but leave it to W. to try and have it his way, like the US is his personal Burger King.

Most amazing jew boots

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:10 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:10 AM #18 of 68
Originally Posted by soniclover
Do you understand the term, Taboo? And discussing it right in front of the President's face? He basically directly attacked the president. Many people have done this before but let me ask you, how many people have said these things right in front of the President?
I might as well lay a disclaimer that I tend to be one of the most uncouth people in reality and my sense of candor often going against my good judgment, so no, I have less awareness of taboo and other forms of proprietry. I guess that makes me think in unrealistic terms.

I'm not so sure if there was a precedent for such an action, but I'm sure there was at least one. I doubt there is much to prevent such situations aside from so-called "good taste".

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:18 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 04:18 AM #19 of 68
Well, I doubt something would happen to him. It's was all partly directed towards the president but still...he's not going to chop of Steven's legs for that little display.

For most people, it's more of the shock factor. "I can't believe he said that in their faces", "No he did'ent", etc.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:22 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:22 AM #20 of 68
Shock factor. That would be the view that would interpret the event best.

In this day and age, the threshold for suprise and shock is very high, so, you can say that I expect something like Colbert roasting the president to happen, hence my indifference to it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:25 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 04:25 AM #21 of 68
I guess that one slipped by me. I didn't expect him to go that far. But yes, you're right. Shock Value is greatly used this decade.

I should have seen it coming. =/

Most amazing jew boots
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:37 AM #22 of 68
Has anything like this ever been done before.

Also, I don't think Colbert's intention was shock value (at least not purely). Basically we have a shitty president who, despite his shittiness, keeps getting shittier. The fact that no one's assassinated him yet is somewhat appalling. Basically I think everyone's trying to throw as much negative attention at him as possible.

Colbert's "stunt" = headlines. Headlines mean more people question the things Colbert brought up.

I think Colbert actually did what could almost be described as "necessary".

Last edited by Eleo; Apr 30, 2006 at 04:48 AM.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:09 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:09 AM #23 of 68
Two words;

Fuck yeah!

I expected a total copout on Colbert's part. That took balls. It'll take even more balls to pretend that he didn't have an overtly negative effect on the President and first lady's demeanor.

FELIPE NO
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:42 AM #24 of 68
I don't think Colbert is funny. ;_;

If anything he is just a random sucker who is a good parody of some Fox news guy that shall remain unnamed.

John Stewart is the real star.

On topic, that is a pretty balsy move.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:05 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 09:05 AM #25 of 68
Originally Posted by Eleo
Has anything like this ever been done before.
Well, you see, that's kind of the point. People keep pushing comedy farther and farther to get more shock value. That's where that "should have seen it coming" comment came from. This decade is full of people trying to break down 'taboo' subjects.

Quote:
Colbert's "stunt" = headlines. Headlines mean more people question the things Colbert brought up.

I think Colbert actually did what could almost be described as "necessary".
Well, when you put it that way. It does seem like it was kind of necessary. Hopefully people will actually think about what he said when they are writing the stories.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Steven Colbert Totally ICE-BURNS The President at White House Correspondents Dinner