Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Reminisce About Your Prom

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:33 AM #1 of 34
Reminisce About Your Prom

All these prom threads and journal entries have got me thinking about my own proms. It seems that most people (myself included) tend to build prom up to be this wonderful, magical experience, when in reality it usually ends up being a colossal waste of time and money, since they rarely turn out to be as fun as we expected them to be.

In this thread we will share our prom stories!

(Please refrain from posting things like, "I didn't go to prom because proms are teh suck." The purpose of this thread is to talk about proms we DID go to, not to explain why we DIDN'T go.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:35 AM #2 of 34
Waste of money. I had to wear a suit, which I hate, and they played shitty music the whole night. My friends and I just made fun of the thing the whole time. Then we went to a comedy club, then the boardwalk for the weekend and I really wished I had saved the 80 bucks I spent on the prom so that my friends and I could play House of the Dead II for a few more hours.

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 04:38 PM #3 of 34
First of fucking all, how could you spend 80 bucks on a prom. I mean, what the hell, did Michael Jackson give a concert there or what

Then, I don't understand how people, especially men, hate wearing suits. This is the only possibility for some people to look normal and not totally fucked up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:38 AM #4 of 34
The prom is fucking expensive, dude. How much did you pay?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:39 AM #5 of 34
Originally Posted by Minion
Waste of money.
Agree 100%.

Quote:
I had to wear a suit, which I hate, and they played shitty music the whole night. My friends and I just made fun of the thing the whole time. Then we went to a comedy club, then the boardwalk for the weekend and I really wished I had saved the 80 bucks I spent on the prom so that my friends and I could play House of the Dead II for a few more hours.
By the time my prom rolled around, I was a little more interested in getting trashed and high with my friends up on the WPI campus. The prom seemed a little too tame, and we didn't have ANY interest whatsoever in paying s hitload of money to get a new dress and shoes to go and hang out with a bunch of fucking retards at the prom, listening to CRAP techno shit.

Instead, on prom night, we hung out with the college students doing shots orf tequila all night long. In our jeans and t-shirts.

And I don't regret it for a second. ^_^

ANd Mushy baby. American Prom is like, really expensive. Because, you know, MEMORIES and IMPORTANT EVENT and all that trash.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:44 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 04:44 PM #6 of 34
Well I paid 15 DM which was about uhh 8 bux back then. Including music, food and heroine.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:47 AM #7 of 34
That right there is German Efficiency.

FELIPE NO
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:48 AM #8 of 34
Originally Posted by Musharraf
Well I paid 15 DM which was about uhh 8 bux back then. Including music, food and heroine.
Yea, see, no "dance" in the New England history do I know of that cost so little during the time I was in high school.

Even regular "dances" cost AT LEAST $10 to get into. It was usually a way to "raise money for student council" or some shit.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:49 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 04:49 PM #9 of 34
Well maybe it is because you don't organize the prom yourselves over there (?)

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:51 AM #10 of 34
My kids just paid $40 PER TICKET to go to the prom this year. I can't remember how much we paid (probably because I didn't have to pay it - tee hee), but I do know it was expensive as hell. Then you have to buy the dress or rent the tux, then the snotty bitch expects you to take her out to a fancy restaurant on top of that. Prom could EASILY run a guy $300.

How ya doing, buddy?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:52 AM #11 of 34
Originally Posted by Musharraf
Well maybe it is because you don't organize the prom yourselves over there (?)
When I was in school, I THINK the student council was given a set of rules and parameters to plan under, and they orchestrated it mostly on their own with some limited input from the guiding teacher.

Thats also why our prom sucked so much. ONE group of really POPULAR kids decided to make it their own little playground.

The only people who showed up for prom were their friends. ^_^

But then again, my school was the biggest party school in the city of Worcester.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 10:20 AM #12 of 34
I remember going to prom my Junior year. It was so boring and retarded that I just skipped it entirely my senior year. Might have helped if the girl I asked didn't have to go out of town that week.

Bittersweet memories.

Most amazing jew boots

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:37 PM #13 of 34
I skipped the prom and went to see The Phantom Menace again.

Then we came to the post-prom and did donuts on the school lawn in front of everyone while blasting obscenity-screaming german techno.

I miss high school sometimes.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:03 PM #14 of 34
SUMMARY:

11th Grade Prom:
I somehow managed to get a date with the most popular guy in school, despite the fact that I was neither popular nor rich (actually he had graduated a year earlier and no longer went to our school, but that didn't diminish his popularity). I halfway convinced myself that it was a joke date for him, and I stressed out from the time he asked me (weeks in advance) until he actually pulled up in my driveway on prom night, wondering if he was really going to show up. I was ALL NERVES, and it didn't help that he was so popular that everyone was vying for his time and attention all through the pre-prom fancy dinner, and he hardly talked to me at all.

The real trouble started when we got to the prom. See, there was this young, beautiful teacher - fresh out of college, she must have been 22 or so - who all the guys had the hots for. Well, that bitch walked up to him maybe 20 minutes after we got there and asked him to dance. He ended up dancing with her pretty much the whole time, while I sat at a table with some of my friends. He managed to break away from her once and came over and asked me to dance. By that time I was so pissed off that during the dance I asked him to take me home.

12th Grade Prom:
OK, brace yourselves for THE redneck prom story. The guy I was dating (and about to marry) got kicked out of school permanently a couple of weeks before the prom for bringing a gun to school. FYI - It was unloaded and in his car, not in the school, but someone found out about it and ratted him out. Aaaanyway, I went to prom with a couple of my friends who either didn't have dates or their boyfriends went to another school and weren't allowed to come or something.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was PREGNANT at the time, although no one knew it yet, so I couldn't drink or smoke and I had to come up with some lame excuse as to why I wasn't drinking that night.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:20 PM #15 of 34
I never went to prom, specifically because I was a fag.

Now some say you're supposed to either take the fat girl to prom or just take a lesbian to prom. Fuck that, I was not ruining my reputation of a quiet straight man by taking a fat girl. And a lesbian? Come on, everyone would have known she was a lesbian, then wondered why I took a girl to the prom who couldn't put out, and then figured out I was gay.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:23 PM #16 of 34
Or you could just go with a female friend. That's what I did. I didn't get laid on prom night.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:27 PM #17 of 34
Nor did I. Bastard didn't stand a chance after pulling that little stunt.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:29 PM #18 of 34
Originally Posted by Eleo
Now some say you're supposed to either take the fat girl to prom or just take a lesbian to prom. Fuck that, I was not ruining my reputation of a quiet straight man by taking a fat girl. And a lesbian? Come on, everyone would have known she was a lesbian, then wondered why I took a girl to the prom who couldn't put out, and then figured out I was gay.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:01 PM #19 of 34
Holland doesn't really do proms... But I might go to some prom in London somewhere, if I do it's going to be sweet.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:03 PM #20 of 34
Originally Posted by LeHah
All I wanted to do was not get beat the fuck up, actually.

But okay.

Double Post:
Also, that image disturbs me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Eleo; Mar 24, 2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:58 PM #21 of 34
My prom costed me $130. Suit was borrowed from my Dad. I carried around my eyeglass case to safekeep my glasses so I could pretend I didn't need them. Music was utterly crappy. Dances seemingly controlled by peer influence. "Everyone is slow dancing, so why don't we?" Seriously, if you're afraid to break it lose with freestyle moves due to the fact of being fearful of embarassment, then what the hell made you come to prom?

So, in conclusion:
Prom, $130.00
Tux, A little bit of my soul since I dared to wear my Dad's styled tux.
Ladies corsage, $89.95(approx.)
Mens corsage, $74.95(approx.)
Getting your date to fall asleep in your arms on the last slow dance, priceless.

Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 07:52 PM #22 of 34
The closest thing we had to a "prom" was a grad. Which was wretched. It was a big get-together at a hotel function room for students, parents, and teachers alike. Basically, paying $45 a head for the pleasure of dressing up and sitting in a room all night with your parents and a bunch of fellow students you can't stand during normal school hours and certainly have no interest in seeing on your own time. I'd decided not to waste my time going, but my mother, for reasons I don't understand, had her heart set on it and basically said "WE'RE GOING AND THAT'S THAT." Fine. Then she could buy the over-priced tickets herself. Let HER waste her money on it if it's that important to her.

Grad night, I spent more of the night trying to stay away from everyone and hanging out with two friends instead, one of whom was from out of town and had been invited along. My best memory of the night is the three of us sneaking over to a piano that had been left in the hallway outside the function room and making a scene singing "Happy Phantom" at the top of our lungs. Otherwise? Blech. Lousy dinner, dragged-out ceremonies, soppy photo slideshows trying to convince us of how great the school was and how we should all be absolutely torn up about graduating, crappy music, etc. PRECIOUS MEMORIES indeed. :P Maybe my mom got her money's worth. Me, I would have had a better time staying home and watching a movie or something.

At least my dad seemed to be on my side. During the father-daughter dance, we spent the whole thing joking under our breath about how bad the music was.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Last edited by Amanda; Mar 24, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
doodle
fingertips

Member 579

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:42 PM #23 of 34
The prom I went to I didn't have to pay a dime. Mostly because my ex-girlfriend's family was rich and doting. Limousine, tuxedo, the works. I even went to a fancy golf club for dinner. That was probably the best part.

The rest of the night consisted of shitty music and migraine headache. I guess I got what I deserved.

Most amazing jew boots
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:56 PM #24 of 34
Woot I am paying whatever it takes to go to Prom...for it is soo much fun and it only happens twice in your life you know <_<. (I had the same perspective with homecoming)

My 11th grade homecoming was fun, we went to some formal place in San Francisco (some civic building or something).

12th is...THIS YEAR YAY!
I have been working out a plan to ask her T-T, was thinking of making something and presenting it to her. Btw don't mind if I ask a random question...do any of you girls would think it to be creepy if you found some sort of note (pertaining to asking "you" to prom) in a book in your house randomly? (Hahah I am good friends with her parents)

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:04 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 06:04 PM #25 of 34
I don't really remember how much prom ended up costing me, but I'm glad I went. I went with my best friend (he's a guy), and I think that he ended up spending more than I did because of the tux rental.

Since I have to dress up quite often, I have quite a few formal outfits and I just wore a dress that I hadn't worn before. We went out for Japanese food (because both of us are japanophiles, but my friend doesn't eat the food very often unless he's with my family), and really we didn't plan on actually staying at the prom location; we had already bought tickets to see X-men II, but then decided we were having fun so we forfeited our movie.

My friends forced us to dance... but really, Prom framed my high school experience: I only went to one dance when I was a freshman --the first dance of the year, the "Icebreaker" -- with the same guy. And then I went to the last dance of the year as a senior, with him again. So yeah, I'm glad I went. We probably spent about $200 each on it, all told.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Reminisce About Your Prom