Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] .Hack//GU

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:52 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:52 PM #1 of 132
.Hack//GU

The Hack games were known for their length, and the fact that you had to buy four games before you could even finish them. Now, a new 3-part series has been announced, with the first volume, Hack//GU: Ressurection being released in Japan on May 18. As of yet, there's no news about a US release, although it'll surely be coming this way.

Below, you'll find most of the important info available, borrowed from www.dothackers.net, the most reliable and best site for anything you want to know about .Hack.

Also be aware that there will be spoilers for the previous games!

The Story
After a fire destroyed CC Corps's main servers, the entire World had to be rebuilt, and the World: R2 was released, quickly growing to be one of the most popular MMORPG's. As a result of the new world, four major Guilds (Kestrel, Lunar Tree, Canard, and Raven) came to power. The clans actions shape 'The World', and most players end up taking one side or another during conflicts. The game follows Haseo, one of the most feared player killers, after his confrontation with Ti-Edge, who somehow possesses the Data Drain Ability.

Characters

Haseo, the main character who is in pursuit of the mysterious Tri-Edge, although his motivation is unknown.

Atoli, a newbie player and a member of the Lunar Tree guild with the gift of healing.

Ovan, a mysterious character with a sealed left arm, why is he interested in Haseo?

Pai saved Haseo after his datadrain, and comments on his "hidden powers'. One of the strongest characters in the World.

Yata, the leader of Raven, who seems to want something from Haseo.

Endrance, An einzelganger, who is perhaps the strongest blade user in the world (like Balmung, I think)

The Guilds:

Kestrel's the biggest Guild, consisting mainly of player killers.

The Lunar Tree guild, that wants people to peacefully enjoy the World. It's the only guild that can rival with Kestrel.

Carnard, a guild that welcomes new players

Raven, the most mysterious guild let by the Prophet (remember the original 8 Waves of Destruction?)

The battle system
  • Enemy AI: Like the previous games, enemy A.I. will be able to detect a party and attack members in real time. I think that they'll keep the field and dungeon system from the first game.New in //G.U is the ability to launch suprise attacks on enemies. Launching surprise attacks will increase the amount of damage Haseo does to monsters in a battle.

• Skill Triggers:An R1 button icon displayed over Haseo's head in battle signals a chance for a skill trigger. Pressing R1 will stop time and allow a player to enter the selected buttons to complete a skill trigger.

• Party Attacks:Multiple hit-combos on an enemy will give users a chance to use a party attack with Haseo. The attack creates damage much higher than some skill triggers.

• In addition to standard monster battles, [.hack//G.U.] will also offer versus battles against Player Killers. On the field map, certain spots titled "Battle Area" are visible. Once a player approaches these zones, he will automatically be drawn into battle. Players who are being attacked by a foe might call for help. Successfully aiding them in battle and taking down their opponents will be rewarded by discounts at guild shops.

Other Information

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:05 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 08:05 PM #2 of 132
This is exciting news, i have been a fan of the .hack series since the start.

I would love to play this game especially with those 4 guilds, man the story would be awesome.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:34 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 08:34 PM #3 of 132
This is incredible! I loved the .hack series. This time, the main character actually looks damn cool. Great that they added new features.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:48 AM #4 of 132
Okay, it's probably just me, but I find those character designs absolutely terrible.

The main character makes me feel prickly all over just looking at him. It's like the director of the game was shouting "MORE SPIKES, ADD MORE YOU FOOL! AND MAKE HIM BLACK AND RED AND GIVE HIM A SCYTHE. HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE BADASS!" to the character designer. And the guy with the sealed arm? That thing's freakin' gigantic, and it's not even a weapon! How can he walk around and not look stupid? And this is supposed to be a MMORPG, what's he doing with a "sealed arm"? Did he MAKE his character like that?

So lame.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:04 AM #5 of 132
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
And this is supposed to be a MMORPG, what's he doing with a "sealed arm"? Did he MAKE his character like that?
I was asking myself the same thing. -_-

I'll play this sooner or later, since I enjoy the .hack universe overall. The guild system seems interesting, too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:41 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:41 PM #6 of 132
JazzFlight: Common sense actually. It's a game in a game. You're playing an invisible guy that's playing an MMORPG. Look at FFXI's dark knight for example. Typical design. The needed a "forced" design to remind the players that's a MMORPG in a game. These characters already look better than the recent ToL char.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure they could think of a good way for him to move around with a huge ass scythe.

If you really can't stand the design then don't play it. =\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:24 AM #7 of 132
Ovan could also have a character hack. In .Hack//Sign Macha, the cat person, was originally thought to just be a hacked character design so it isn't that uncommon and could be allowed in The World: R2. Seems like an odd thing to do to his character though; I thought it was an enormous gatling gun or club weapon. Speaking of the character hacks though, I find it interesting that no group representing the System Admin. has been mentioned. I figured that one of the 4 guilds would be something like the Crimson/Cobalt Knights in previous incarnations.

I can't wait for this to be released. I loved the first 4 games, and I've watched the trailer for GU a dozen times. Nice to finally hear all this new news though, since nothing had been said for awhile. Personally, I think the character designs are pretty damn spiffy. Kite started off really lame and gradually became cooler, but it does seem interesting to play as a character who already has a reputation this time.

FELIPE NO
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 PM #8 of 132
Oh why don't they just make it a mmo already. I'd seriously play it, look at FFXI's success with playing a game with a controller. Just don't make it like FFXI but still deep enough and it would be fine. I'd love to play a MMO with a controller again...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:21 PM #9 of 132
Originally Posted by Ashton
Oh why don't they just make it a mmo already. I'd seriously play it, look at FFXI's success with playing a game with a controller. Just don't make it like FFXI but still deep enough and it would be fine. I'd love to play a MMO with a controller again...
They did; it's called .Hack//Fragment. The last I checked it has no North American release planned though.

Most amazing jew boots
kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:18 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 03:18 PM #10 of 132
.hack games are probably the only time I'll ever play an MMORPG. Even if it's not even a real MMORPG. I invest soooo much time in the first 4 games and the other media. I just love the whole project, never seen anything like it before. I'm pretty excited for this game even though I'm sure I'll just be confused with the story like I was with the other .hack stories -_-

Most amazing jew boots
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:52 PM #11 of 132
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
The main character makes me feel prickly all over just looking at him. It's like the director of the game was shouting "MORE SPIKES, ADD MORE YOU FOOL! AND MAKE HIM BLACK AND RED AND GIVE HIM A SCYTHE. HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE BADASS!" to the character designer.
Haseo's only going to look like that at the beginning. He very quickly loses all those spikes and the other negative aspects that you perceive in Haseo's design.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:18 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:18 PM #12 of 132
Haseo's look:
Spoiler:
Haseo's character design is the Haseo with maxed out stats/level, and the best armor for his class. He'll get datadrained in the beginning by Tri-Edge, which will reduce him to level 1 and get rid of the freaky look.

I'd have to disagree with turning Hack in a MMORPG though (even though there's Fragment). The battle system is just rather bland, there doesn't seem to be any main story in the World, and I haven't seen any real player quests. I don't know how fragment works out, but I'm sceptic I guess.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:15 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 10:15 PM #13 of 132
In my opinion turning .Hack into an MMORPG is a great idea, since most people wanted to "Interact" with the sorroundings on .hack, an Mmorpg great because Interact,party and al that will be a nice addiction to the .hack world, and besides MMORPGs doesnt have story, if there would ever be an mmorpg its just constantly doing quest and leveling up for the sake of being famous.

the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:07 AM #14 of 132
I'll admit that I very much wanted to make my own character in the .hack games (Long Arm, dammit), but as people have said, The World as it's presented in the games just doesn't have a lot to do - you raid dungeons and feed Grunties. Of course, as an actual MMO it might be enough for a casual gamer who just wants to log on and party up with his buddies; I dunno. I started "playing" The World recently, starting .hack//infection over and just taking BlackRose through random dungeons, but that gets boring very quickly.

Having said that, I'd still give Fragment a try if it got released here. *shrug*

1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:43 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:43 PM #15 of 132
It looks like we might be seeing Haseo's "freaky look" sooner than we thought. It turns out that its his "3rd form." Some new scans reveal not only Haseo's 2nd form, but also his ability to transform into Avatar Skeith.

FELIPE NO
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:52 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:52 AM #16 of 132
I totally don't like the Skeith form, it just looks so wrong. I wonder if the other members of your party will also be able to transform into one of the 8 waves, since they are nicknamed as such, and how it's exactly triggered.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:58 PM #17 of 132
I'm digging this. Skeith was always my favorite of the 8 (he had the coolest music, sorry), so seeing him back in action is a fanboy ... dream thing. I actually only care about Haseo's chainsaw broadsword. The sooner I get to wail on NPCs with that the better.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:54 AM #18 of 132
I rather like the Player killing concept, although it won't be something to do early in the game. It makes it seem much more like a real MMORPG, if only they would implement some decent sidequests.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mackey Hiromu
Wark!

Member 1775

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 07:50 PM #19 of 132
I agree, I didn't really like the sidequests in .hack, they were usually alot of trecking through the same thing for a very small reward, like the one with the vine creature that supposedly raised your level by ten. Did anybody really believe that? I would like to see more original characters too, it seemed like most of the people you got in your party just looked different than the others with the same attacks, over and over [I know this is usually what its like in an MMO but still, more variety in attacks would have been very nice and .hack didn't have the MMO like interaction to redeem the mundane repetition of abilities.]

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:02 PM #20 of 132
Was that Kite from the trailer? if it was, he changed a lot. Kicking ass now >.>
And this game looks a lot better from their older sequels.

Most amazing jew boots
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 08:48 PM #21 of 132
Originally Posted by Taegueki
Was that Kite from the trailer? if it was, he changed a lot. Kicking ass now >.>
And this game looks a lot better from their older sequels.
It's actually a character of indeterminate origin named Tri-Edge. His exact relationship to Kite is unknown.

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 08:20 PM #22 of 132
Haseo's not the only one who can transform into an Avatar. The titles of the eight Infinity Characters suddenly make complete sense.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 09:25 AM #23 of 132
Footage of an Avatar Battle, featuring Skeith

Haseo's ability to transform into or summon Skeith revealed. Reminds me of Zone of the Enders, but with Data Drain. Also looks as though the party is not involved, although Skeith's appearances could strictly be event battles.

FELIPE NO
Linkdarkside
Wark!

Member 3182

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:19 PM 1 #24 of 132
oh yeah and for those that dont know each week there is a new video in the official site http://www.cyberconnect2.jp/gu/main.html

Most amazing jew boots
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:48 PM #25 of 132
Wow, nice video. Somehow it feels kind of like a spoiler, but not so much at the same time.

I wonder if this means you can only control Haseo/Skeith in the Zone of the Ender-esque battles.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] .Hack//GU