Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Apple announces new "iPhone".

killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:35 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 08:35 PM #26 of 36
Can't wait until someone comes out with the same thing minus a phone and uses UMS so you don't have to use a bullshit program like iTunes or whatever the fuck to transfer media and excellent media type support and at least 30 gigs. I'd be more inclined to pay at the least 400 bucks for that.
Well, technically, you don't have to use iTunes. But, since all iPods are metadata-based, they do need an index, unless you use an alternative firmware like RockBox. Of course, you all already know I'm a much bigger fan of metadata-driven filesystems (especially for media), since it allows for greater flexibility. But there's a dead horse I don't feel like beating today.

Anyway, I'd imagine the same touchscreen iPod interface will come to the regular iPod sometime this year. The only question is whether Apple will do it before or after the iPhone launches. I'd bank on after, so as not to downplay the iPhone's buzz. I'm calling it sometime this Autumn—6th gen touch-screen iPod. Of course, if by "decent media support" you mean things like FLAC, APE, or OGM/MKV/AVI, then... I mean, isn't that a dead horse too at this point? :P

There's nowhere I can't reach.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:40 PM #27 of 36
Yeah, it's a dead horse too but I have my dreams. Really, the way I figure it is that there must be enough people like me who want something that can do this that it should be made. My money is holding out and I imagine it's likewise for those others until that product exists.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:16 PM #28 of 36
Well, technically, you don't have to use iTunes. But, since all iPods are metadata-based, they do need an index, unless you use an alternative firmware like RockBox. Of course, you all already know I'm a much bigger fan of metadata-driven filesystems (especially for media), since it allows for greater flexibility. But there's a dead horse I don't feel like beating today.

Anyway, I'd imagine the same touchscreen iPod interface will come to the regular iPod sometime this year. The only question is whether Apple will do it before or after the iPhone launches. I'd bank on after, so as not to downplay the iPhone's buzz. I'm calling it sometime this Autumn—6th gen touch-screen iPod. Of course, if by "decent media support" you mean things like FLAC, APE, or OGM/MKV/AVI, then... I mean, isn't that a dead horse too at this point? :P
Personally I prefer players that use metadata or a filesystem structure to organize the files. I like the system of the iRivier H320 where I can just transfer files as if it were a hard drive and then build the metadata tags if I choose to.

The reason I haven't bought an HD player recently is that I'm looking for one that can do several things:

-I'd like to to be able to play m4a, mp3, ogg, and flac. While I try to get everything in mp3 that I can (purely because of compatibility), that's not always possible in the illegitimate online market of p2p.
-It must have gapless playback if I want to play a seemless album (such as a live performance).
-I must be able to make playlists on the go.
-It must be as intuitively usable (interface-wise) as an iPod or iRivier H320.
-It'd be nice to have it the size of the more recent iPods.
-I don't want to have to use an external program to transfer files and a database program akin the the one iRiver uses would be very nice.

For some reason, no one has thought of including this rather unassuming list of features.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:28 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2007, 09:28 PM #29 of 36
I'd agree that it'd be nice if you could transfer files straight and have the device build the metadata index on the fly. I'd imagine that as we get closer and closer to database-like filesystems (XFS on Mac, WinFS on Windows) this might come closer to reality on the iPod.

Of course, Apple is in between a rock and a hard place that way w/ the iPod, since they have to at least semi-appease the record companies' requests that the iPod not be made into the easiest piracy device this side of your mom. Fortunately, since I use OS X, iTunes isn't really that onerous. In fact, it's pretty much the only reasonable option, so...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:02 PM #30 of 36
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/i...ated-at-birth/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone

LG KE850 - Announced before the iPhone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Choc...29#Touch_panel <--- around 2 years old phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_KG800_%28Chocolate%29

Apple fails.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97064,00.html ---> Sue

http://news.softpedia.com/news/LG-To...ll-45511.shtml --> another link

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph...omments/12322/ ---> same but diff link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6250511.stm --> "iPhone" = copy of another brand.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16566514/ ---> same one

All because of

http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/2007/0...s_sue_app.html

PS. About the 6th gen thread I made... I am not even sure if APple are going to make it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Kimchi; Feb 5, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:24 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 02:24 AM #31 of 36
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:19 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 09:19 AM #32 of 36
lol @ douchebag apple fanboy comments on that page. I hope meizu decided to use quality parts instead of making 50% profit on an overpriced piece of shit like apple has always done.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:38 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 03:38 PM #33 of 36
And the iPhone has been in the works for 2 and a half years. And the LG phone merely has a touch screen, not a multi-touch screen as the iPhone does.

Maybe you're confusing a touch-screen with a touch panel. Allow me to educate you: Apple had touch-sensitive buttons on their iPods three years ago. The iPhone has a multi-touch screen which can sense simultaneous inputs at multiple points on the screen—something not yet seen in any other consumer device.

Way to link an ancient, ancient story. Just as a tip, this was resolved months ago. The outcome? Apple gets all "Apple" trademarks, and will licence the Apple trademark to Apple Records Corp. It is also assumed that the Beatles catalog will soon show up on iTunes, perhaps as an exclusive. So... big win for Apple.

Considering that you can't sue someone for developing something similar at the same time without knowledge of the other product, I doubt that will go anywhere. Just more posturing because Apple's in the media these days. The iPhone has been in development for over two years, long before LG publically said anything about their touch-screen phone. I'm not gonna sit here and say the iPhone is revolutionary—it's mostly just some evolutionary convergence + a multi-point touch screen and a seamless UI. But to say it's a rip-off of someone else's device is just blind anti-Apple bias.

Quote:
This one's a little weird. You'd think that Apple would've held off on the announcement until a deal had been inked. Nevertheless, the "iPhone" name has been tossed about in the media by journalists for months now in reference to the rumored Apple product with not a peep from Cisco—this is called "failing to defend your trademark." In addition, the products allegedly shipped under this name have been found in stores, not with "iPhone" printed on the box, but slapped on via hastily printed stickers.

See above and try to learn some facts before you start spouting off.

lol @ douchebag apple fanboy comments on that page. I hope meizu decided to use quality parts instead of making 50% profit on an overpriced piece of shit like apple has always done.
lol @ douchebag anti-apple fuckwad. Apple doesn't make 50% profit on anything they sell, it's more like 35%. Yes, still far ahead of others in the industry, but it's clear that people are willing to pay the prices for what they offer which (contrary to your constant diatribes) is more than just a pretty box.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by killmoms; Feb 6, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:04 PM #34 of 36
Oh well, I guess that's what you get for 2 min research lol.

Anyways, this is one thing I don't get.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In a deal concluded from secretive discussions beginning in February 2005, Cingular Wireless will be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the United States and will remain so until 2009.[28] The iPhone may be purchased only with a two-year service plan with Cingular.[29]
iPhone won't be going global until 2009? By than wouldn't most phone have iPhone's new power?

For instance, when I bought Cowon D2 and brought it to school, it blew iPod user's mind away. (Mind you I have 5th gen and 4th gen too.)

BTW, iPod has possibly worst sound quality ever. (This is from MINE point of view, and like I said I own 2.)

Spoiler:

Ah, BTW. LG Chocolate the touchscreen (Not the new one, there is old touch screen one.) has been out atleast 2 years. Because last time I went to Korea was 2 years and I saw it there.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Kimchi; Feb 6, 2007 at 06:15 PM.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:29 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 04:29 PM #35 of 36
iPhone won't be going global until 2009? By than wouldn't most phone have iPhone's new power?
Do you just not read? I mean, come on. It said "exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the United States." Apple said during the keynote announcing the device that the iPhone would be in Europe by the beginning of 2008.

Quote:
BTW, iPod has possibly worst sound quality ever. (This is from MINE point of view, and like I said I own 2.)
The 5th gen's output is no demonstrably worse than any other DAP I've seen, and certainly fine for lossily compressed music. But, I mean, if you have a $300 set of open-back cans and are listening to compressed music on a portable player, what the fuck is wrong with you in general? I find tech-heads tend to make a lot of stupid claims regarding audio quality in completely inapplicable situations.

Quote:
Pictures of Cowon device.
Looks a lot like the iPhone's iPod interface, which is practically guaranteed to show up in a 6th gen iPod. It's no secret that other manufacturers are doing interesting things in the DAP space, but until they can offer the same level of ease and convenience as the iPod does for me (especially as a Mac user), I have little interest. Outside of tech circles like this board, it's not about capabilities, it's about the total package and experience. For better or worse, Apple makes it easy enough that they got out in front.

Quote:
Ah, BTW. LG Chocolate the touchscreen (Not the new one, there is old touch screen one.) has been out atleast 2 years. Because last time I went to Korea was 2 years and I saw it there.
So, should Palm sue Apple because their device has a touchscreen and is a phone, and Palm has had the Treo for several years (and Handspring before them)? Should Apple sue Palm (and themselves) because they made a touchscreen PDA long before anyone else did? It's nonsense. The only reason people are suing Apple now is because Apple is successful, they fear their presence in a new market space, and they smell money.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:46 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 06:46 AM #36 of 36
Here's another interesting device. Tactile feedback! I like that, it's a thoughtful detail.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_ultr...0-news-250.php

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Apple announces new "iPhone".