Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Do you want Custom Display Names back?
Yes, it was optional, off by default, and helped the community. What's not to like? 62 83.78%
No, I want you to rip off my face and nail it to the back of a tractor. 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

What happened to the custom display names?
Closed Thread

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:35 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 04:35 AM #51 of 79
bobo's just upset that there haven't been any Chocodonations lately.

SOMEBODY SEND HIM SOME MONEY. WE NEED THIS FEATURE AGAIN.

Consistancy. What a crock. You want consistancy? You can turn the display off! Sheesh.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:11 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 06:11 PM #52 of 79
And I'm being honest, the customizable username is one of the sexiest feature you couldnt find anywhere in other forum.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:13 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 01:13 PM #53 of 79
Originally Posted by galen
And hey, I can't blame him. I'm a big fan of consistency! I like things predictable too. In fact, I think we should go ahead and set the current avatars and signatures in stone. In the name of consistency, of course.
I'm sorry, that's a straw man. I don't agree with bobo's removing the feature, but you can't equate something like that with avatars or signatures. Virtually all vBulletin boards have customizable avs and sigs, so if I register at a new board, it's expected that I will understand it. Customizable names, however, are something else.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:27 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 06:27 PM #54 of 79
I also take a notice, when this feature was pulled down, suddenly bobo also changed our gender into asexuals. Is that punishment bonus?

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:25 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 02:25 PM #55 of 79
No that is a temporary fix to a problem with the gender icons.

FELIPE NO
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:25 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 06:25 AM #56 of 79
Originally Posted by eriol33
I also take a notice, when this feature was pulled down, suddenly bobo also changed our gender into asexuals. Is that punishment bonus?
Actually, it's been this way for a while. Blah just fixed the icons so that everybody is this way to make it look like something is there. Has nothing to do with bobo.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:54 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 12:54 PM #57 of 79
PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE THEIR AVATARS, GENDERS, TITLES AND SIGNATURES. IT'S TOO CONFUSING. I mean, WHOA, THIS GUY HAS A NEW TITLE, HE MUST BE SOMEONE ELSE NOW AND IT'S NOT AS IF I CAN JUST VIEW HIS PROFILE TO CHECK WHO HE IS.

CAPITAL LETTERS

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:58 AM #58 of 79
So, okay. Inconsistency. He wants things to be consistent.
Yes! We all know bobo is man of consistency!

Like how he's consistently never here, except for that one week of inconsistency where he is here!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 04:35 PM #59 of 79
This feature was fairly awesome. I can understand Bobo's reason for taking it down, but I sure as hell don't agree. I think this feature entirely fitted the character of GFF, and I'm really dissapointed that it got taken down.

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:37 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 10:37 AM #60 of 79
Originally Posted by Aardork
I'm sorry, that's a straw man. I don't agree with bobo's removing the feature, but you can't equate something like that with avatars or signatures. Virtually all vBulletin boards have customizable avs and sigs, so if I register at a new board, it's expected that I will understand it. Customizable names, however, are something else.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make a post that would require someone to pull out their fancy debate terms on me. My point was that his argument was weak, and I emphasized that point with an extreme and unrealistic example.

His point that he wants a consistent username is valid, until you take into account the hundreds of theme weeks with member name changes, other member name changes and the fact that the feature was not board-wide and easily disabled, as has been said before.

Anyway, if you don't agree with the decision as you say...why did you vote against it?

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 09:07 PM #61 of 79
I was actually wondering why nobody was changing their name anymore to the utter confuddlement of me, until I tried to change my signature and found this strange feature in the menu.

"How useless, and that just encourages people to change their name", I thought, but then I noticed it was optional. "Hey, that kinda makes sense. I don't get bothered with their community bonding experience stuff anymore, and they can change their names every other post. Everybody wins!"

Having said that, I would prefer if people would just stop changing their names altogether. But that's just me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:39 PM #62 of 79
But you just said before that, that everbody wins.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:00 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:00 AM #63 of 79
His point that he wants a consistent username is valid, until you take into account the hundreds of theme weeks with member name changes, other member name changes and the fact that the feature was not board-wide and easily disabled, as has been said before.
Yeah, that's true, that's why I said I don't agree with removing the feature. I was using it myself, so how could I say that I didn't like it?

Quote:
Anyway, if you don't agree with the decision as you say...why did you vote against it?
I just liked the way that option was worded.

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:17 PM #64 of 79
Thanks, Aardy. =)

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:25 PM #65 of 79
Originally Posted by Sir VG
bobo's just upset that there haven't been any Chocodonations lately.

SOMEBODY SEND HIM SOME MONEY. WE NEED THIS FEATURE AGAIN.
Oh fuck, you're right. He wanted to make money off of name changes, but never bothered to tell anyone.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:34 PM #66 of 79
Well shit, if he wants to make some :10bux: features I'll pay for them if they're actually worth it. Fuck.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:56 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:56 PM #67 of 79
More like, let's pay Blah to add new features.

That way, we'd actually see new features.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 04:16 AM #68 of 79
Originally Posted by Aardork
I just liked the way that option was worded.
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Thanks, Aardy. =)
Yeah, you fucking DICK. COMPLETELY RUINED NOW ALLYOURFAULT

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:45 AM #69 of 79
Okay. Here's my two cents--if anyone cares.

I NEVER participated in a name-change week for a few reasons:

1) The admins would have to change the name, and when you have half of GFF participating, they'd go crazy. Remember Miles' going nuts? "I'm NOT doing this again!"

2) For god's sake, even using Password Manager, I'd have to login at least once, and I'd probably forget it.

3) Searching for members was a pain in the ass. No one was who they should be.

I particiapted in this one because the display was optional. No admin had to change it, I didn't have to remember a new Logon, and searching for people was a snap.

Bobo, I can understand where you're coming from, but isn't this a community? A group of us were united in changing our names, but instead of hassling the admins about this--first when the event began and second when it would end--we were able to change it ourselves. And the option to display names can be turned off.

And how is the option to display names any different than the option to display signatures?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 11:40 PM #70 of 79
Personally, I think this is much ado over something inconsequential. Buut, be that as it may, the feature was harmless and completely reversible. So, aye.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:41 PM #71 of 79
Is it possible yet to find out what the "catch" bobo mentioned earlier is about the display names?

My personal guess is that they'll be time-limited this time around.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:55 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 07:55 PM #72 of 79
Mo0, I believe Miles said something about this feature only being activated during board wide theme chains.

KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:22 PM #73 of 79
I don't quite understand exactly why ANY restrictions should be put on display names. After reading over Bobo's responses in various areas on the issue, I can't help but think Bobo doesn't even understand how the feature works.

Bobo has said he want's to minimize "clicks." That's a retarded reason in itself, but we'll go with it. The feature is disabled upon registration of an account, so the real actual username of someone is still displayed in plain view, not obstructed by any sort of access system such as clicking an avatar.

Bobo has also said he want's consistancy. The best counter to that would be how GFF has allowed theme weeks and name changes in the past anyways, that is permanent ones, not temp ones like display names would be. Also, of course, the feature is turned off by default to a newly registered user, so everything is still "consistant."

Any point Bobo brings up can be countered with the fact that the feature is off by default. What then is the problem here Bobo?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:24 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 08:24 PM #74 of 79
Arguing this any furthur would seem to be a pointless endeavor. I don't even see why you would need to change your name outside of a theme chain, anyway.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:27 PM #75 of 79
Okay, being usable only during theme weeks sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

Taco, I'd have to say I'd avoid arguing the issue since this is the issue that caused the forums to nearly get shut down. :/

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > What happened to the custom display names?