Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Nintendo WiFI Question

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:01 AM #1 of 4
Nintendo WiFi Question

My current setup to access Nintendo WiFi is a Belkin Wireless Access Point hooked up through a Linksys Router. I'm able to connect to the network, but it's very slow, and at least with Mario Kart, I get disconnected 50% of the time before I can join a game. The same problem happens with Tetris DS, though I can usually join a two player match with no problems (except it takes forever to connect).

I've tried troubleshooting this as much as I can. There's no security on the access point, WEP encryption is off, transmit rate is limited to 2Mbps (any more and the DS won't connect at all). I've contacted Nintendo and checked their forums for help, but no luck.

Some things to note: My PSP works fine with the access point. My brother has the same setup at his house (same access point, same router, same modem), and it works fine, he didn't even have to configure it. My DS works fine with my brother's access point, and at McDonalds.

My question is, do you think it would help if I bought a Nintendo WiFi Dongle? I'd be willing to by it if I thought it would work, but I don't want to waste $35 if the problem lies somewhere else.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by nuttyturnip; Apr 2, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:19 AM #2 of 4
The dongle might help, but my problem was that my DS was busted. I had to return it to Nintendo, and when it came back, it worked right out of the box they shipped it in. Fortunately, though, I was still under warranty.

Try holding your DS within a couple of inches of the router for the duration of the game and see how that works. When mine was broken (I couldn't even connect more than 5 feet away) that was the only way I could play.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
and Brandy does her best to understand
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:12 PM #3 of 4
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
Try holding your DS within a couple of inches of the router for the duration of the game and see how that works. When mine was broken (I couldn't even connect more than 5 feet away) that was the only way I could play.
I've tried that, and it doesn't work any better. Like I said, the DS works fine with my brother's access point, so I don't think the DS is broken.

I'm not that versed on WiFi technology. Is it possible that there could be interference from other WiFi signals in the area? My brother lives in the country, but I live in an apartment building, and there are several other wireless networks that my DS can detect. I realize other electronics can cause interference, but I've tried it in my bedroom, away from electronics, and still no luck.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 08:14 PM #4 of 4
Ebgames now carries the wi-fi USB connector, so you have more options as opposed to purchasing it directly from Nintendo. It should work but if you have ZoneAlarm Security Suite then don't expect it to work, it has to be completely disabled for it to get up and running. Works fine on my other 2 PCs which have Norton Systemworks 06 running.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Nintendo WiFI Question