Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:19 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 07:19 PM #1076 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
Isn't Assassins Creed also being released on the 360? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Actually, it's been developped for the 360 and ported to the PS3. The playable versions that was shown behind closed doors at E3 was the 360 version as was the screens released. Sony used it's wallet to 'buy' the announcement exclusivity.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:48 PM #1077 of 3592
Some new info on the latest PS3 devkits and controllers, from IGN.

Quote:
There hasn't been a lot of information released about the PS3 development kits, controllers or even the menu system for the new console, but soon that could possibly change. At yesterday's SEGA PS3 day, we were treated to a demo of Full Auto 2: Battlelines on the latest development kit, which had recently been sent to Pseudo Interactive and other designers. Initially, we were concerned that the kits would still run extremely hot and be very loud (in fact, some people have likened the whine of the dev kit fans to that of a jet turbine), but we were pleasantly surprised to note the distinct lack of noise and heat coming from the system.

We were also told that the dev kit seemed to be extremely adaptive and easy to program for. In fact, Pseudo talked about how they hadn't put in their planned tilt sensitivity, but had literally dropped in the wireless support for the controllers on Tuesday. The controllers, which feel much lighter thanks to the removal of the rumble feature, nevertheless were solid and extremely responsive. While those weren't the finalized controllers for the PS3 itself, they felt much better than the ones that were at E3 (and were extremely easy to toggle between wired and wireless play). By unplugging the cable and pressing the PlayStation button on the controller for a second or two, we were able to engage the wireless feature. In fact, we also discovered during our multiplayer session that each controller was "smart" enough to recognize which system and what player it was initially connected to, regardless of the number of other controllers or systems in the room. This bodes well for massive LAN party play or co-op play with multiple controllers on the same system.

Speaking of LAN play, all eight dev kits were connected over the PlayStation Network in real time, which exhibited no lag whatsoever. Part of that could've been due to the massive storage capacity of each system streaming game information in tandem: each dev kit held 80 gigabytes of storage, so the multiplayer match had approximately almost a terabyte of storage synched up over the Network to stream the alpha build and accurately model the multiplayer destruction of Full Auto 2. As for the PS3 menu, it was easy to pull up in-game by quickly pressing the PlayStation button, which popped up an overlaid menu on top of the screen. The PS3 menu seems to have taken a lot of its cues from the PSP, with user features, settings, friends and game menu items. The menu appears to be a lot cleaner and sharper than the PSP but has fewer icons on it. Granted, that could also be because it was still relatively early, but it doesn't mean that, like the PSP, other features could be added to it at a later point.

We contacted Sony for additional details about the dev kits, but as of press time, representatives were unavailable for comment.
And here we have some shots of the PS3's XMB, from IGN's Weekly video feature.

Link to the video page: http://media.games.ign.com/articles/...80/vids_1.html

I was speaking idiomatically.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Aug 19, 2006 at 08:53 PM.
MTGNecro
A family man: Be one.

Member 3730

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 06:50 PM #1078 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
I could go for another Armoured Core game myself, as long as it's better then Nine Breaker and Last Raven... Silent Line was ok.
Was last Raven really that bad? I have Silent Line, although I skipped it and went straight to Nine Breaker. Was really dissapointed by the lack of story. I was hoping Last Raven would turn it all around...

But Armored Core 4...the trailer is enough to make me drool >.>

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I forgot my old sig...
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 10:35 PM #1079 of 3592
Quote:
And here we have some shots of the PS3's XMB, from IGN's Weekly video feature.
Note that this is the SDK version of the XMB. More than likely the final version in the consumer model will be similar to what was shown in the video posted in the previous page.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:55 AM #1080 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Note that this is the SDK version of the XMB. More than likely the final version in the consumer model will be similar to what was shown in the video posted in the previous page.
I'm well aware of this, since the E3 demonstration of the XMB has a far larger number of items to choose from. Who knows, maybe they'll setup the XMB to where it'll create a Videos/Music/Images icon when there's the appropriate media on the HDD (example: no pictures present, no need to show the pictures icon).

Either way, the article is actually pretty good news of the PS3. Looks like Transmeta's help has really paid off and the controllers got nothing but praise even though it's only undergone minor changes since E3.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:00 AM #1081 of 3592
It's a slick menu, but I hope you'll be able to customize it with buttons, wallpapers, and even sounds of your choice.

Today may be the day for some big PS3 announcements.

Quote:
Leipzig Will Be Ground Zero for PS3 Announcements
Posted Aug 20, 2006 at 01:16AM by Alaric S.

Listed in: Rumors
Tags: Sony, scee, Europe, Leipzig, Leipzig Games Convention, Sony Computer Entertainment According to SPOnG, that is. The team said they had a chat with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) about the you know what and they claim the drought of PS3 info is about to end. The team said the company will make a series of "major announcements being made this coming Monday from Leipzig." What's in Leipzig aside from dancing horses? The Leipzig Games Convention, of course.

Sony's opening salvo is perfectly timed, a day before the convention opens, to hog the spotlight. "We can assure you that this first unveiling will...be something...very unlikely to have foreseen, coming from way out of left field. Suffice to say it brought a smile to our face as we think it will do yours" the SPOnG team continued to tease.

After the lukewarm reception of the PS3 at the E3, the entire Sony organization (except Phil Harrison) appeared to have gone into mute mode. But the silence is about to be broken and let's hope this time it will be more than dancing horse's manure hype.
The only question I have is what time of the day will we be receiving the announcements. It figures that I also start my next class today (but I'll have a PC in the classroom, so it'll be all good).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 05:55 AM #1082 of 3592
I hope among those announcements is a price drop, even if its not likely, one does hope. And I wonder what surprises they will throw at us...

There's nowhere I can't reach.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:57 AM #1083 of 3592
Originally Posted by Kairi Li
I hope among those announcements is a price drop, even if its not likely, one does hope. And I wonder what surprises they will throw at us...
Maybe they've taken up Immersion on their offer to put their new vibration tech into their controllers, though that seems unlikely as well. It's probably some minor things, as always.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:53 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 11:53 AM #1084 of 3592
Well, as far the annoucement, they just announced a pink PS2. If that's what is...

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:42 PM #1085 of 3592
I laughed until I found out it was true. Then I just sighed.

So how long does this show last anyway? I just read that the MGS4 trailer should/will be available this Wednesday.

Of other interest, Resistence is reportedly improving in the graphics department. They say there will be a world of difference from E3 until launch day.

Looks nice (especially the alien, which is a far cry from the jaggy screenshots in the recent EGM), but I'll still wait for more news before I decide which launch game will be worth getting.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Soldier; Aug 21, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 10:41 AM #1086 of 3592
You know what? Resistance doesn't really look that good... It really looks like an UT2004 mod with HDR effects, you know? I mean, look especially at that last screenshot. Not very desirable right now...

Love it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:27 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 11:27 AM #1087 of 3592
It's not really Resistance's look that has me wanting to buy it. It's being developed by the same guys who did Ratchet and Clank, so I'm looking forward to actually playing it, and not looking at it.

The Ratchet and Clank games have always had stellar gameplay, so I can't really see why that wouldn't translate over to Resistance.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:30 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 09:30 AM #1088 of 3592
Originally Posted by Pietak
You know what? Resistance doesn't really look that good... It really looks like an UT2004 mod with HDR effects, you know? I mean, look especially at that last screenshot. Not very desirable right now...
I think the first shot in the snow looks pretty impressive. Look at the draw distance and how much detail is in the building architecture.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:17 PM #1089 of 3592
The snow shot looks good, mainly because the artwork for that place was probably nice looking as well. The other ones, however, look very meh, which is surprising given the people behind this.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:24 PM #1090 of 3592
Armored Core 4 trailer.

http://ps3.qj.net/Hot-Hot-Trailer-Fo...g/49/aid/62764

Looks outstanding....IF it's all realtime.

It's always been my one major gaming dream to be able to fully simulate the experience of piloting a sleek, heavily armed robot across cityscapes, underwater, and the endless sky. I think a major part of the experience has to do with visuals, so surely the PS3 should be the system that will finally bring the mech experience to life.

Just imagine if they make a ZOE 3 with graphics like that.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:07 PM #1091 of 3592
It's mostly CG, very pretty CG, and quick cuts to some gameplay. What interested me more than the looks is the fluidity of the gameplay segments. One of the main complaints hurled at the Armored Core franchise is that the combat is slow and clunky.

Hopefully it looks like that's been fixed.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:29 PM #1092 of 3592
Yeah, it does seem fluid enough, which should be the norm for all future mech games. But I also hope the visuals can match the CG, at least by the time Armored Core 5 comes out.

Unreal Tournament 2007.

http://www.gamescathedral.de/gamesca...rder=0&thold=0

Good God.

The video was sort of "meh" though.

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 10:48 PM #1093 of 3592
Damn that's pretty. Though looking at the giant robots in the UT2K7 pictures, I can't help but hope that the PS3 Gundam game(s) look that good.

Most amazing jew boots

Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:14 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 03:14 AM #1094 of 3592
That tripedal robot looks a lot like the designs in Crysis - perhaps imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:15 AM #1095 of 3592
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/727/727456p1.html
August 23, 2006 - We had a hunch that Sony's presence at the September Tokyo Game Show was going to be big, and now we have confirmation. Sony Computer Entertainment Japan announced today that 27 PS3 games will be playable at the show.

Here's a list of 19 of 27 confirmed playable PS3 titles. The publisher for each game is listed in parentheses.

# Railfan (Ongakukan)
# Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
# Fatal Inertia (Koei)
# Blade Storm (Koei)
# Mahjong Taikai IV (Koei)
# Coded Arms Assault (Konami Digital Entertainment)
# Genji (SCEJ)
# Formula One World Championship (SCEJ)
# Heavenly Sword (SCEJ)
# Lair (SCEJ)
# MotorStorm (SCEJ)
# Resistance Fall of Man (SCEJ)
# The Eye of Judgment (SCEJ)
# Warhawk (SCEJ)
# Gran Turismo Series (SCEJ)
# Minna no Golf 5 (aka Hot Shots Golf, SCEJ)
# Ridge Racer (Bandai Namco Games)
# Gundam Target in Sight (Bandai Namco Games)
# Armored Core 4 (From Software)
There are still 8 more playable titles that are secret at this time.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:19 AM #1096 of 3592
I'd be impressed if they showed gameplay shots that looked like that. But for being CG, they're not that impressive, graphically.

On the other hand, it does look fun. Also, was that a Tony Hawk minigame I saw in that video?

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:44 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 11:44 AM #1097 of 3592
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
# Railfan (Ongakukan)
# Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
# Fatal Inertia (Koei)
# Blade Storm (Koei)
# Mahjong Taikai IV (Koei)
# Coded Arms Assault (Konami Digital Entertainment)
# Genji (SCEJ)
# Formula One World Championship (SCEJ)
# Heavenly Sword (SCEJ)
# Lair (SCEJ)
# MotorStorm (SCEJ)
# Resistance Fall of Man (SCEJ)
# The Eye of Judgment (SCEJ)
# Warhawk (SCEJ)
# Gran Turismo Series (SCEJ)
# Minna no Golf 5 (aka Hot Shots Golf, SCEJ)
# Ridge Racer (Bandai Namco Games)
# Gundam Target in Sight (Bandai Namco Games)
# Armored Core 4 (From Software)
There are still 8 more playable titles that are secret at this time.
AC4, Gundam, Coded Arms, and Heavenly Sword are the ones I really want to see from that list. The Eye of Judgment seems like an interesting idea, hopefully it'll do for card-based games what Sangokushi Taisen and Gundam 0079 did for them.

I like how there's always a mahjong game at every JPN launch.

kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 12:51 PM #1098 of 3592
Awwwwwww, where's a playable Tekken?

Zefier
Breaktime

Member 7533

Level 14.42

May 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:53 PM #1099 of 3592
Possibly under the 8 secret titles? Who knows.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:01 PM #1100 of 3592
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv08-2006-gamefront/2083.html

I still can't get over how shiny, shiny, shiny the PS3 is. I'm going to have to keep a cloth inside my room at all times to polish off the inevitable dust and fingerprints.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread