Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Rice.

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:06 AM #1 of 43
Rice.

Okay, I know nothing of rice beyond the 5 minute instant-rice you can buy at any grocery store. Wait, that's not true; I know that the rice I get when I order Chinese take out is 10 times better. It's that kind of rice that keeps the shape of the box when you take it out. This is what I want. I've heard it called "sticky rice" before but I can't seem to find anything on google that resembles it. I just want some quality rice, damnit. I realize it won't be a 5 minute job but I'm willing to make a commitment. ...though I probably won't buy one of those dedicated cookers.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dyesan
hey YOU!

Member 1790

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:15 PM #2 of 43
Do you like sushi?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:29 PM #3 of 43
Originally Posted by Vkamicht
Okay, I know nothing of rice beyond the 5 minute instant-rice you can buy at any grocery store. Wait, that's not true; I know that the rice I get when I order Chinese take out is 10 times better. It's that kind of rice that keeps the shape of the box when you take it out. This is what I want. I've heard it called "sticky rice" before but I can't seem to find anything on google that resembles it. I just want some quality rice, damnit. I realize it won't be a 5 minute job but I'm willing to make a commitment. ...though I probably won't buy one of those dedicated cookers.
Sticky rice is commmonly eaten by Koreans and Japanese. The rice you are talking about is "fluffy" right? Well that's why in Chinese movies, when they eay rice they put their bowl put their bowl up around to their chest. (So rice doesn't fall down from their chopstick.) And I don't know why Japanese does it when they got sticky rice... must be custom or something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:42 PM #4 of 43
These are what you're talking about.

If you have any Asian supermarkets in your area, you can surely pick up a bag there. If you're going for convenience, there are microwavable bowls available, but I haven't tried them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:52 PM #5 of 43
Doesn't rice tend to stick together if you steam it properly? The rice I get at every Asian place in Montreal sticks together.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:35 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 08:35 PM #6 of 43
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Doesn't rice tend to stick together if you steam it properly? The rice I get at every Asian place in Montreal sticks together.
I assumed this was what he was referring to, but sticky rice is different, I think. Then again, I've never had sweet sticky rice from any Chinese restaurant when ordering take-out. It's just steamed white rice.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:37 PM #7 of 43
Yes, sticky rice and normal rice is different. I eat rice every day, being Asian and all. I Just LOVE sticky rice. I don't eat it much, however, as we only get it when we go to dim sum, and we hardly ever go to dim sum. I love the, uh, stickiness and the flavour. Mmmmm....I love Uncle Ben's instant rice, but instant rice has no nutritional value whatsoever.

Eating too much rice supposedly makes you fat though.

FELIPE NO

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 09:56 PM #8 of 43
Rice. I eat it everyday. Rice is good. <3. How many rice cookers do you own? Do you have a rice despenser too? How many sacks of rice is in your house/apartment at any given time. Go.

I don't like sticky rice as much. And I never trust fried rice at restaurants (as it is just old steamed rice). It's all about steamed rice.

Jerry Rice was an amazing wide receiver as well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:03 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 09:03 PM #9 of 43
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
Eating too much rice supposedly makes you fat though.
Oh, I've never heard about this one before.

naz: To answer some of your questions, I have two rice cookers at the moment (one of them is packed away), and two 20 lb. bags of rice. No dispenser right now.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:08 AM #10 of 43
Eating too much of anything will make you fat. Why? Because you'll be consuming more calories than you need, hence, putting on weight.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:23 AM #11 of 43
Originally Posted by Rydia
Oh, I've never heard about this one before.
That's what my parents have always told me. It's something in the rice that will make you put on pounds if you eat a lot.

We have a big barrel full of rice, with an actual bag of rice in reserve when supplies run low. No rice depenser, but we have 2 cookers.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:31 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 10:31 PM #12 of 43
I've never heard that one before too. I eat a lot of rice every fucking day... and I'm not fat at all. This is a good thing, so I can eat all the rice I want.

Most amazing jew boots
waka waka

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:38 AM #13 of 43
Nah, it's only if you eat a LOT of rice. I doubt you eat a LOT of rice every day, do you? You're fine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 10:47 PM #14 of 43
Oh true. Yeah, not a LOT. Just a lot. It's probably about 4 cups of rice every day.

waka waka

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 02:03 AM #15 of 43
Ok, let me clarify then, I'm probably not talking about "sticky rice".

I'm not an expert at asian cuisine so basically I mean when you go to any local Chinese place in America and ask for "white rice" or "steamed rice". Like I said, if you get it from a take-out place and it comes in one of those little boxes, it keeps the shape of the box because it all sticks together. It has a totally different texture to me compared to 5-minute instant rice, and a moderately different taste too. If it's simply properly steamed rice, how can I go about accomplishing this?

FELIPE NO
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 02:11 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 02:11 AM #16 of 43
I'm no expert on rice, but I think that it's related to what type of rice you're using.

You can probably find these at an Asian grocery store. A lot of the other varieties of rice, especially instant rice, don't stick.

As for the method of cooking, we've always used these rice cookers:

With the right amount of water, we're able to get rice that clumps together. There's no "magic number," so you'll have to experiment. Too little water will yield drier rice that won't stick, and too much water will yield gooey rice.
There's probably more behind this...

Last edited by elwe; Apr 1, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 02:58 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 12:58 AM #17 of 43
I usually do a 6 cups of rice to 7 cups of water ratio. The results have been pleasant since 1984.

waka waka

Rachelle
Syklis Green

Member 2670

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 10:04 PM #18 of 43
I thought the 'stickiness' of the rain was determined by how long the grain was? Isnt' short grain and medium grain rice stickier than long grain rice? The sticky rice mentioned above isn't the one served at restaurants, that's not the type of rice you would want everyday with your meals as that is REALLY sticky!

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 09:27 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 07:27 PM #19 of 43
It has to do with the type of the rice, how much water you put in, and how long you cook it. For stickier rice put in more water and cook a little less time, for drier rice put in less water and cook for a little less.

Can anyone tell me what the huge benefit of using a rice cooker over cooking it in a two quart pot is?

egyptdragon
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4394

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 10:02 PM #20 of 43
Rice cookers are generally easier to clean than the pot of water, especially if you are willing to spend more than $10 on it. The rice cooker is also something you can leave and forget about, but if you do that with rice on the stove, you are in for trouble! Mine was $3 at a thrift store and is one of my favorite kitchen items.

If you are willing to spend a hundred dollars or more on a rice cooker (crazy I know) you can get one of the ultra models that you can preprogram. Everyday at a set time, it will automatically make the rice for you. That's Japanese ingenuity for you.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Blackbord
Banned

Member 4342

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 12:13 AM #21 of 43
Mexican Rice with a Sunnyside Egg rolled up in a tortilla always hits the spot.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 11:15 PM #22 of 43
Egypt, can you put other food in the rice cooker to cook with the rice? For example, I like to make Jambalaya, and it needs to cook with the sausage, peppers, onions, and other random things to make sure that the flavor is as kickass as possible.

egyptdragon
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4394

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 10:33 PM #23 of 43
It depends on the cooker I think... The one my mom uses came with very direct directions that said don't put anything in it but water or the cooker would absorb the flavor and transfer it to the next dish. Another one a friend bought encourages things like coconut milk and herbs added to the dish.

I just found some encouraging links that indicate you could cook jambalaya in a rice cooker pretty easily:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1742,...251195,00.html
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1942,...247201,00.html
http://damned-colonial.livejournal.com/285932.html

FELIPE NO
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:40 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 10:40 PM #24 of 43
Originally Posted by elwe
With the right amount of water, we're able to get rice that clumps together. There's no "magic number," so you'll have to experiment. Too little water will yield drier rice that won't stick, and too much water will yield gooey rice.
There's probably more behind this...
Those rice cookers have numbers inside, so I basically use the cup provided when purchasing the cooker for the first time to measure out cups of rice. 4 cups of rice needs water that reaches the "4" mark inside.

There's also a trick using the first line from the top of your middle or ring fingers. If the water touches that line on your finger, there's enough water.

Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:48 AM #25 of 43
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
It has to do with the type of the rice, how much water you put in, and how long you cook it. For stickier rice put in more water and cook a little less time, for drier rice put in less water and cook for a little less.

Can anyone tell me what the huge benefit of using a rice cooker over cooking it in a two quart pot is?
._.;; It...um...keeps your rice warmy and steamy...?

Anyways, I *heart* rice. Delicious stuff! I'm not sure what the exact difference is between "American rice" to "Asian rice", but I think it might have something to do with the grain size, species of rice, and cooking style...?

I'm not exactly sure about water-to-rice measurement ratios, but my mom taught me that you need to clean the rice several times in cold water (although I realize now that this kinda washes away any sprayed on nutrients and such =/...), and then fill the pot with water until it the water level touches the knuckle of your middle finger.

I've always made rice like this, and it always turns out cute and fluffy.

Has anyone had any purple rice before? I think it's actually normal rice, but with a certain kinds of bean/grain mixed in....I'm not sure what it's called in English, but I would like to buy some from Safeway or something if it's avaliable...

EDIT: W-What's going on...? Why am I a moderator...? ;__; (Is this the April Fool's joke? It's not very funny...)

Last edited by Acacia; Apr 2, 2006 at 02:00 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Rice.