Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. God Damn it russ, stop cheating.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:20 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 11:20 AM #1 of 82
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. God Damn it russ, stop cheating.

The latest in the Call of Duty line, and back in the hands of developer Infinity Ward. Taking a brave, but sensible, step to move the game out of WWII and into the present(ish) day.

[ official site ]

I managed to get myself into the UK/Ireland part of the multiplayer beta program and downloaded my copy last night.

Had a bit of a session last night and I must say I'm loving it. The game's received a fair amount of positive press and praising comments so there's always the danger of something like this being a bit too talked-up. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case and I had an absolute blast (no pun intended) playing my way through the three maps on offer. The levelling up, perks, challenges and create a class all work wonderfully to enrich the multiplayer experience.

To me the game felt like a bit of a mix between elements of Battlefield 2 and the previous Call of Duty games (the Overgrown map particularly feels like something that could easily have come from CoD 2 or 3).

I know there's a few other GFFers who've had a go on the beta, so just curious as to what everyone's making of this one.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:37 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 01:37 PM #2 of 82
I'm not in the program, but excited about this game nonetheless. I'm not overly interested in the multiplayer part but judging from the previous two Call of Duty games by Inifity Ward, the single player experience is going to be amazing. I'm loving the modern setting, the time to finally move away from WWII was long overdue. Call of Duty 4 is actually the only war game I'm interested in ever since Battlefield 2.

The levelling up, perks, challenges and create a class all work wonderfully to enrich the multiplayer experience.
Would you mind explaining how these things work in detail for those of us who haven't had the chance to play the beta?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:41 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 01:41 PM 2 #3 of 82
Would you mind explaining how these things work in detail for those of us who haven't had the chance to play the beta?
Your multiplayer profile has associated with it a rank (or level) and a number of points within that rank. So you start off as a Private (I believe) at level 1 and go up in rank as you earn points in the game. Basically every kill/assist you get earns you points, and at the end of a round you also get points, I assume, based off your performance. This isn't the only way to get points (see challenges below), but is the main way you will do so.

Going up ranks can open up new options, new equipment, new challenges or new perks; so, for example, level 4 opens up the 'Create a class' option in the beta.

Equipment is as you'd expect, the weapons and attachments for weapons that are available to you. At various points new weapons within each of the main gun classes (assault rifle, SMG, light machinegun, shotgun and sniper-rifle) were unlocked, as well as some attachments and camo options. Attachments modify the weapon, so stuff like silencers, red dot sights, or, for example, a couple of the assault rifles could have a grenade launcher as an attachment (though this was in place of the perk 1 group). The five preset classes have predefined load-outs, but in the create a class option you can define your own.

In create a class you essentially you pick your whole setup. Your primary fire-arm and a side-arm, with the option to select from your available attachments and camo options. You pick a special grenade to carry (flash, stun or smoke) and then one perk from each of the three perk groups. The equipment you choose affects your mobility, accuracy, range, firepower, etc.

Perks are little modifiers on your performance. Perk group 1 is mostly concerned with explosives and gives you access to 2 x C4, 3 x your special grenade choice, or an RPG with 2 rockets, and other things (I unlocked a perk which would allow me to see enemy explosives). Not sure whether the other perk groups have themes, but include a range of things and from one that would allow you to sprint for longer, one hides you from the enemy UAV (see kill streak info below), deeper bullet penetration (as you can shoot through stuff), increased hip-fire accuracy or last stand which allows you to pull a pistol before dying.

The game also rewards you with more than points for kill streaks. 3 kills in a row and you can call in UAV. This lasts for a little while (maybe a minute at most) and scans over the map highlighting the enemy, at the time the scan passes them, as a red dot on your map. 5 kills and you can call in an airstrike at a location of your choosing. 7 and you get to call in a friendly attack chopper which hovers about mowing down anyone foolish enough to be seen by its gunners (it can be shot down though).

The other way to get XP points is to complete challenges. These range from getting X number of kills with particular weapons to stuff like killing people whilst crouching/prone or slightly more random achievement-esque ones like jumping and falling more than 30ft to your death. These get you XP points but can also unlock attachments and camo options (meaning if you prefer a certain gun you will unlock bits for it because you use it more often).

I think that covers everything and I've probably rambled on far too long. If you can I'd recommend trying to find any left-over keys and get a download token, it's worth checking out.

For more information the official site is worth checking out for a load of details on the game, including the multiplayer beta.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:15 AM #4 of 82
Omagnus's post is awesome, but I wanted to clarify a couple things. UAV lasts for 30 seconds, but it activates for your entire team. You'll also know when your opponents have a UAV, as a voice over comes on and lets you know.

Perk group 1 is focused on gadgets, Perk group 2 is focused on escape, movement, and the like, and Perk group 3 is focused on either being able to take more hits or making your shots more powerful.

One of the best ones is Last Stand, a perk wherein when you die from something other than a headshot or explosion, you fall down onto your back with your pistol out and, similar to Gears of War, you bleed out but have the opportunity to fire back. You get double XP when you kill someone in Last Stand, and my favorite part about it is that it's not overpowered. It would've been easy to make it so that you essentially got an extra life, but because your point of view shifts downward when you fall down, it's disorienting enough that you can't just keep firing the direction you already were, but still doable enough that it doesnt feel useless.

I can't wait for the achievements to come out for this game: Because of the challenges system, I'd love the achievements to be related to rank and then just say "Complete 20 challenges." A more freeform achievement like that would be neat.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:56 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 02:56 PM #5 of 82
Cheers for the clarification Mo0, I didn't realise that's how the perks were grouped, awesome.

One thing I really like is how balanced the Perks are. No one perk felt like it was much more of an advantage, it was all down to tweaking my character the way I play. I like to sneak into enemy lines and take people out, so the UAV hiding perk works brilliantly for me. But it's not an uber-stealth option, because another important thing to note, and really cool, is that whenever you fire a shot on a weapon that isn't silenced you show up on the enemies maps as a red dot briefly. So basically, you have to pick you shots carefully otherwise you'll give your position away. And while a silencer fixes that it also reduces your range.

It felt brilliantly balanced to the point where being level 1 and picking a default class doesn't put you at any sort of disadvantage. It's just about opening up options and tweaking things to match the way you play, which I love.

Also Mo0, I can't find confirmation anywhere (at work so can't look too extensively), but I'm pretty sure they said CoD4 was going to have no multiplayer-based achievements (though one could argue that with the challenge system in place there are, just not 'official gamerscore' ones).

Additional Spam:
Just after posting that, looky what I found:
Xbox360Achievements.org - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Achievement List (warning: may contain some spoiler-ish stuff)

No obvious MP achievements, though given some of the descriptions they could be (though I'm pretty certain about hearing they were just going to be all single player achievements).

Also, one thing about Last Stand. As well as shooting back you can hold X to 'take the coward's way out' and shoot yourself (which deprives the enemy of their 10 points XD).

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Sep 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:06 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 12:06 PM #6 of 82
Also, one thing about Last Stand. As well as shooting back you can hold X to 'take the coward's way out' and shoot yourself (which deprives the enemy of their 10 points XD).
Ok, that's AWESOME. Is there any detriment to using it though? You lose points or anything for doing that? It might be a piss off if EVERYONE starts doing that and you're unable to acquire any points for your team.

Or does it only limit the guy's XP gains, and not his team's score?

Still waiting on my key in the mail. Hopefully the UK one you gave me Omagnus will be valid here, although I don't think there's any implementations of region checking built into the Redeem Code function. So it should work.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:48 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 07:48 PM #7 of 82
Ok, that's AWESOME. Is there any detriment to using it though? You lose points or anything for doing that? It might be a piss off if EVERYONE starts doing that and you're unable to acquire any points for your team.
As far as I could tell there was no downside to doing. However, you have to hold down X for a few seconds and the person who shot you can just keep shooting you to finish you off. I took to keeping on shooting until +10 (or +2) appeared. Similarly I only managed to kill someone from Last Stand once because most people would keep shooting me once I was on the floor.

Also, if you lie there for a little while without anyone shooting you you die anyways, and I believe no one gets points that way either (because they didn't officially finish you off), though I could be wrong on that.

Or does it only limit the guy's XP gains, and not his team's score?
I'm pretty sure it only limit's the person's XP gains. Since I didn't see any score that wasn't a multiple of 10, I'm guessing the team gets 10 points per kill regardless.

FELIPE NO
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:18 PM #8 of 82
the guy who downed you will always get the full 10+ for your death if you commit suicide or die from bleeding. The only way the dude can lose those 10 points is if one of his teammates o kills you while you're in last stand mode. Which if that happens, the dude who originally downed you is awarded the 2+ points for an assist.

I personally love the Last stand perk as it helps me rack up so many kills. When i'm playing with a class that has the last stand perk, I generally average 5-6 last stand kills which does miracles for rank boosting as well as making it to the top of the matches leaderboards. They really need to dumb it down as if you possess an above-average skill level in FPSs, you will be godly in CoD4 with the last stand skill.

As th majority of the people who are in the beta, possess a skill level on par with mo0's and so this makes the game hilariously easy.

I have a custom class specifically tailored for each of the 3 maps and using these classes, i'm basicially guaranteed at least a 10+ K/D ratio every game.

for Overgrown i shuffle between a custom sniper class and an assault rifle class.

For Operation Islam, I use a SMG with red scope and last stand perk.

For Vacant, I use a shotgun class with last stand.

Besides that, CoD4 is absolutely brilliant and has gone from being a game I had no interest in whatsoever to being my most anticipated game to drop this fall, even ahead of Mass Effect and Ratchet and Clank: ToD. That says something about how awesome CoD4 will be.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Iwata; Sep 14, 2007 at 02:00 PM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:38 AM Local time: Sep 14, 2007, 11:38 AM #9 of 82
I could have sworn a saw a message that said you get to deny the person the 10 points, but having played again for a bit last night I'm unsure. Wasn't paying attention to loading screens and I did get a few random +10s appear a while after I shot someone. At this stage I'd err on the side of Iwata and assume that the person does get the 10 points after all.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chibilola
thats it

Member 568

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2007, 02:47 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2007, 12:47 PM #10 of 82
I was originally not interested in this game, but all this mulitplayer jambalaya makes it different. I'm interested in seeing the last stand, that makes things interesting.

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:24 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2007, 05:24 PM #11 of 82
Wow, even the Halo beta didn't have this many technical issues. It's now frozen on me three times, in random situations. (Never in the same place or doing the same thing when it happens), and there's some issue with "downloading game settings", which is some sort of error message box that appears when trying to join a game, for random people, at random times.

There's supposed "fixes" for this, like clearing the cache and shit. Of course it doesn't work, so I've deleted the thing and am redownloading it, so I can hopefully have this fixed.

Fun as hell when it works, but there needs to be improvements made to the matchmaking system. The guy with the shittiest ping should not be randomly chosen for hosting duties, for example, and I wish there was an H3beta like option for choosing to be put into the game with the best connection to the host, instead of something hosted and filled with people from Europe.

Otherwise, pretty fucking great so far.

How ya doing, buddy?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:13 PM #12 of 82
So the GFF group ended up having one of our usual epic sessions last night on CoD4.

Firstly, the session just included me and skills and we played about for an hour or two before he had to book it. Matches were awesome and alot of laughter was had on both sides, especially on Crash.

When Skills got back a couple of hours later. Basically the entire GFF xbox crew sans for a few got online. The team this time around consists of Me, Skills, Mo0, Tails, Eleo, and some other dude that is skill's buddy. We filled up every slot for our own team and didn't have to deal with any randoms and played for like an hour and a half just having a Ball.

Until McDonalds decided he had to go to bed and that is when our night basically went down the shitpipe. Our glorious squadron of hilarity was penetrated by a random; An extremely annoying one at that. Dude was loud and obnoxious and was constantly screaming through his mic and using gay as an insult like it had gone out of style.

So that killed the enjoyment quite a bit. So we decided to regroup in the lobby and play again,but i think we were all dreading another random. So we couldn't really get engaged in the game like we did prior. Plus another factor is we couldn't crack mo0 jokes because he wasn't around.

Overall, it was an amazing game session for those couple of hours until we ran into that MandoX faggot who ruined it for us.

We need to do this shit again. This time with sir England and acid on our teams.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Iwata; Sep 15, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:01 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2007, 05:01 PM #13 of 82
I was actually wondering if it was an open beta. I might like to start out on this =o

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:08 PM #14 of 82
Nope, unfortunately. Look around for someone who has a beta key, they're apparently not that hard to get their hands on.

Iwata, I'm sorry, I was literally falling asleep when I left, I believe I spent maybe 30 seconds awake after the xbox turned off.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:38 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2007, 11:38 PM #15 of 82
The "Downloading Game Settings" issue is on their end, not yours, which the official forums don't really discuss much about. (One mod who doesn't work for IW goes so far as to say it IS your end, and it's a cache problem), so there's nothing to prevent that from happening or anything you can do to fix it.

Also, I haven't had any freezing issues since the rapid fire ones I had in the beginning there, right before I made my last post.

That said, Iwata's got it down. if most of the crew buys this, it'll be a bonafide blast when it's out. We need to get more of us into it.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:00 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2007, 05:00 PM #16 of 82
If there's another session going on I'm up for joining in, though given you lot are in the US I guess it'll have to be a Friday or a Saturday so I can stay up til crazy o'clock.

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2007, 01:33 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2007, 10:33 PM #17 of 82
Wow, its been nearly a month since anyone has posted in this thread. Was the CoD4 beta that uneventful (aside from Iwata's post)? Guess I didn't miss out on as much as I thought I did. Either way, up until this point it was only Xbox players who got the goods, but it appears CoD's loyal PC fanbase will get their fair share of CoD possibly this Thursday

In the meantime there is really nothing else to do other than to twiddle your thumbs and to start the countdown until the demo is released, then a month later, the full game. Which if the previous CoDs are anything to go by, is going to be full of epic and win.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:50 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2007, 07:50 AM #18 of 82
Well it's only been three weeks since the last post, and there's only so much I could post about the beta (I think I said a fair amount), especially since most of what was said about individual games was done so over Live or in IRC.

Plus, I don't know if you spotted, but there was another 360 game (an FPS no less) released which sort of took everyone's attention.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:47 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 08:47 AM #19 of 82
OXM has given it 10/10.
No shock though, this game looked awesome at E3.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sparhawke
Scientific progress goes Boink

Member 338

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:30 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 05:30 PM #20 of 82
PC single player Demo now available at Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Demo - FileFront.com

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:47 PM #21 of 82
Thank god because the Yahoo afternoon launch was a dissaster. The link was broken for over two hours before anyone got a solid download.

But can't wait to get home and try this thing out. Especially after all the E3 hype, and awards it recieved.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 04:55 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 02:55 PM #22 of 82
Sorry, gotta bump this one up. (Yes I know it's oldsauce)

Friggin' intense game. <3 to bits.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:46 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 10:46 PM #23 of 82
It's so annoying that this doesn't hit stores in Europe until the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in with this game. I'm thinking, since I played CoD2 on Veteran I might brave that difficulty on 4 (or whatever they call the equivalent difficulty).

Fingers crossed I'll be online with you US lot who pick this game up in the next few days sooner rather than later.

FELIPE NO
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:50 PM #24 of 82
Intense is definately the word. Some people try to call it an epic game, but epic doesn't really fit. However intense is 100% accurate, thoes who've played it know what I mean

Man, if these terrorists were NFL quarterbacks, or MLB pitchers they would win every time. Cause if they can throw a 1.5LB grenade hundreds of yards, imagine a simple leather ball.

Last thing is I must have the worst luck in the world because whenever a grenade is thrown at me, I usually manage to pick it up and throw it back, but when I do there always seems to be another one right next to it that gets me, WTF?

But that's all the negativity I've got on the game. After I'm done single-player I have a feeling that I'm going to be reliving my 1 year of CoD2 all over again... can't wait ^^

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:50 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 04:50 PM #25 of 82
It's called Veteran here too, and if it's anything like COD2, just go straight to that difficulty instead of bothering with the overly easy normal mode first.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. God Damn it russ, stop cheating.